PDA

View Full Version : confused with gestalt 3.5

randomhero00
2010-02-04, 12:56 AM
That is, when you only get a limited amount of levels to apply it and not gestalting the whole way. Like what if you're a cleric 1[no gestalt], cleric 2//fighter[gestalted]

Are you taking the BAB and saves of a level 2 fighter or level 1 fighter at level 2 cleric?

When upping fighter class skills at level 2, how high can you up them?

Optimystik
2010-02-04, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure I understand your dilemma. In gestalt,you take the best of each side at every new level - you use the side with the higher skill points to determine yours, the side with the higher BAB etc. Any skills that are class skills on either side, become class skills for the entire gestalt.

Is that what you had wanted, or did I misread your query?

magic9mushroom
2010-02-04, 01:23 AM
You take the increment, not the full thing. Best combined with Fractional Base Saves.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-04, 01:24 AM
Gestalt isn't meant to be used like this, so... whatever your DM says?

But you wouldn't have the BaB and saves of a level 2 fighter. It'd be the best of a level 2 Cleric or level 1 Fighter, I guess. But still, it's a little weird.

As for the class skills, you can up them to as high as rank 5, because there's absolutely nothing here that changes anything about maximum skill ranks.

randomhero00
2010-02-04, 01:30 AM
Right, I mean, if you're not using the standard gestalt rules and instead, only getting X amount of gestalted levels that are *less* than your primary levels, how is it generally done? No standard I guess?

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-04, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Are you saying

Level 1: Cleric//nothing
Level 2: Cleric//fighter

I'm pretty sure the only way to end up with this kind of combination is to have LA and have it applied to only one side of the gestalt, otherwise it is impossible to have "nothing" one one side at any point. In any case, assuming you are in that situation, you would calculate skill points, hit points, etc. at first level as normal for a cleric. At second level, you would do the following:

HD used is the fighter HD, since it is larger.
Fighter class features (ahem, I mean bonus feats) for fighter level 1.
Cleric class features for cleric level 2.
Class skills include those from both classes, with max ranks equal to your CHARACTER level (so level 2 at this point) plus 3.
BAB and saves depend on whether you are using fractional rules or not.

IF YES: Calculate BAB&Saves by saying "1 level of 3/4 BAB plus 1 level of 1/1 BAB" and "1 level of good will save plus 1 level of bad will save; 2 levels of good fortitude save; 2 levels of bad reflex save."

IF NO: BAB=Cleric1 BAB [0] + Fighter1 BAB [1] (because fighter BAB is better than cleric BAB, you use Fighter1 instead of advancing to Cleric2, even though you would get the same result in this example). Saves= Cleric1 Ref (poor) plus Clr2/Ftr1 Ref(same in this case, but choose higher if they're different), Cleric1 Will advances to Cleric2 Will, Cleric1 Fort advances to Cleric 2 Fort as Clr2 is higher than Ftr1.

Edit: Ninja'd, but perhaps this in depth example can answer your question more directly.

randomhero00
2010-02-04, 01:42 AM
Yes, that helps. Thanks.

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-04, 01:45 AM
You are welcome.