PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Exhibition: Claudius Maximus vs. Superglucose

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 01:03 AM
What are your preferences for buff rounds? I'd like at least to have all-days up.

I'm fine with any map here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7503819&postcount=6), but if you want a different one, feel free to propose it.

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 01:25 AM
I'd like a round or two for buffs personally.

I also have no preference for map.

I play a game called Allegiance (free, online, etc.) and I command a lot, and one of the things you do is pick the map and the settings you want to command on. I never ever pick settings if I can avoid it, and hate picking map :smalltongue:

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 01:28 AM
So all-days and two rounds then?

How about the map?

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 01:29 AM
Two rounds is fine, pick a map and I'll veto if I hate it.

Something with obsticals though.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 01:33 AM
{table=head]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_|H_|I_|J_|K_|L_
1||||||||||||
2|
3|||C|C|||||C|C||
4|||C|C|||||C|C||
5||||||||||||
6|
7|
8||||||||||||
9|||C|C|||||C|C||
10|||C|C|C|C|C|C|C|C||
11||||||||||C
12||||||||||C||
13|
14|||C|
15|||C|||||||||
16|||C|C|C|C|C|C|C|C||
17|||C|C|||||C|C||
18|
19||||||||||||
20|
21||||||||||||
22|||C|C|||||C|C||
23|||C|C|||||C|C||
24|
25|||||||||||[/table]

Arena ceiling is 30 feet tall. Everything is made of worked stone. There is a mysterious light roughly equivalent to an overcast day throughout. No wind or other unusual conditions. The contestants start in either the top three or bottom three rows.

If this is satisfactory, I will begin on the bottom.

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 01:37 AM
Agreed, I shall take top.

Round 1:
Standard: True Seeing
Swift: Greater Mirror Image [roll0]

Round 2:
Standard: Greater Invisibility
Swift: Nerveskitter
There are now 8 images

All Day:
Greater Mage Armor
Superior Resistance

Starting in D2

Initiative: [roll1]

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 01:46 AM
Buffs:
All-day buffs:

Cast Create Magic Tattoo 3 times, for +1 CL, +1 luck to attack rolls, and +2 competence to attack rolls.
Use Scroll of Eagle's Splendor
Use Scroll of Superior Resistance
Use Scroll of Righteous Aura
Use Scroll of Mind Blank
Use Scroll of Moment of Prescience
Use Scroll of Tyche's Touch
Cast Greater Mage Armor
Cast Primal Hunter
Cast Primal Instinct
Drink Domain Draught

Rounds:
Round 1: Cast Haste, use Bead of Karma, use Terran Brandy, cast Bladeweave. Contingent lesser Restoration reacts to the ability damage: [roll0]
Familiar drinks potion of Guidance of the Avatar.
Round 2: Use Scroll of Greater Visage of the Deity, Cast Thunderlance, activate granted power of Balance Domain
Familiar uses Scroll of Greater Heroism on me.

Starting position:
E23

[roll1]

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 01:49 AM
Nice init :smalleek:

You're first

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 01:53 AM
Looks like I go first then.

Actions:
Use Scroll of Nixie's Grace, Use Scroll of Sirine's Grace (same scroll as Greater Visage of the Deity). Move 30 feet straight up.

End Turn.

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 01:57 AM
Actions:

move: to e-8
Standard: Cast Fly

End turn

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 11:59 AM
Actions:
Use Scout's Headband for True Seeing.

Use Psionic Tattoo of Overload Tattoos.

Move to B18, altitude +15, then perhaps to F4, altitude +10.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1551/lossg.png

I move to gain LoS to all the green squares. I have True Seeing. Do I see you in any of these squares?

Turn is not over.

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 09:12 PM
Green squares?

EDIT Yes, E9

Sorry for taking so long I thought I had this on email update.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 09:41 PM
Alright, you see a Kobold with golden yellow scales fly from B8. He has white feathered wings and has numerous carvings and tattoos on his body. His entire body glows with light, brightly illuminating everything withing 60 feet of him. He has a crested helmet shaped like a dragon's head, a cloak, some pouches, and an awful lot of scrolls. He holds a foot long bar of grayish energy in both hands.

Spellcraft DC 29 reveals:
He's under the effect of a Greater Visage of the Deity spell.

Spellcraft DC 24 reveals:
The bar is the result of a Thunderlance spell.

Another Spellcraft DC 24 reveals:
The light he sheds is the result of a Righteous Aura spell.
You should also make a Knowledge (Religion) check.

He moves to E9, 10 feet above you, moving so fast you see only a blur.

End turn.

Edit: I'd appreciate a similarly detailed description, if you don't mind.

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 11:32 PM
I autopass those spellcraft checks. Also, how high are the columns? In the basic columns map they're supposedly floor-to-ceiling

In any case, your little lizard sees a 5'10" human standing in plain and unassuming robes. He has dark hair and olive skin.

Currently he appears to have Greater Mirror Image and Greater Invisibility up, but they obviously don't bother you and your true-seeing one bit.

Instantly John appears to react with a quick wave of his hand, and a billowing, 20ft high wave of fog moves. I assume you autopass the spellcraft check: it's Obscuring Mist, centered on... well... E9. Then John moves to I-8 and readies an action.

Targeted dispel on the Kobold when he sees him.

End turn.

Superglucose
2010-02-04, 11:33 PM
oh knowledge religion:

[roll0](untrained)

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-04, 11:55 PM
Nothing of use from that knowledge check.

Draw and cast Blindsight from scroll.

Cast Spell Theft at him.
You hear Blindsight being cast.

If you don't stop it or move or anything:
You hear Spell Theft being cast. I'll need a list of buffs from you.
Turn may or may not be over, depending on what, if anything, happens from that readied action. If it doesn't trigger, it's your turn.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:01 AM
When hearing the spell cast I will abrupt jaunt to K-9. If your action can go off without LoE let me know.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 12:09 AM
The Blindsight still happens, but the other action changes.

The new action would be to move to B8, then to K8, in search of you. I'm guessing I find you in K9, when I'm in J8. I stop in K8, altitude +10.

End Turn.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:14 AM
Readied action goes off.

Defensively cast Greater Dispel targeting you. I auto-succeed the concentration check (dc 21, I have a +20, 20+1=21).

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Let me know if I need more.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 12:16 AM
I activate my Ring of Spell-Battle, reflecting the spell to you.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:17 AM
Stupid non-core items. I'm pretty sure that's game, but w/e. Now I have to go figure out what's dispelled.

*sigh*

Mage Armor is down, as is Greater Invisibility.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:22 AM
First on my turn I'll swift-cast Stun Ray

Touch Attack: [roll0]

DC 27 fort save or be stunned for [roll1] rounds. I want to see the results before I decide on the rest of my turn (specifically whether or not you're stunned)

Concentration check coming forgot I don't autopass.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:23 AM
[roll0] dc22 concentration check

.................................................. ..................................

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:25 AM
Well ok. Let's try this again as a standard action.

Touch Attack [roll0]
Stun [roll1]
Concentration [roll2]

EDIT: Wow. Seriously?

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 12:29 AM
That is just the worst luck, really.

Is it my turn?

Edit: The kobold cast Wings of Cover for the second casting. I must admit I would have done it once a ray actually got off.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:30 AM
John steels himself to take that lance in the face.

Go for it. your turn.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 12:35 AM
The Kobold swoops in and brings his Thunderlance to bear. Tell me if you want to do anything to stop it.

If you don't stop it somehow:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2] Nat 1.
[roll3]

If either hit, a dispel check is made against one of your defensive force effects of 3rd level or lower, if you have any. Tell me if I need to roll one of these.
Turn not over.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:37 AM
Can't avoid that. No force effects below third level.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 12:41 AM
He continues his movement, swooping around, and ends up 10' above you He then makes a full attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

End Turn.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 12:43 AM
Dead.

I posed no threat to you, did I.

Also how in the name of hell did you move, attack, then move, then full attack in one round?

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 12:51 AM
Bounding Assault with an extra standard action, then full attack with my normal full-round.

You could have harmed him, but this guy does have some serious defenses. He's vulnerable to dispelling if one reaches him, and he can't dispel well at all himself, so he fails against foes immune to damage. Other than Force damage, all he has is Feeblemind.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-05, 01:28 AM
Bounding Assault with an extra standard action, then full attack with my normal full-round.

You could have harmed him, but this guy does have some serious defenses. He's vulnerable to dispelling if one reaches him, and he can't dispel well at all himself, so he fails against foes immune to damage. Other than Force damage, all he has is Feeblemind.Love watching the ToS. "If people can't be hurt, I can't kill them". That's such an odd thing to even view as a weakness in a build.

SG, my recommendation is more options. You should always have a backup. And becoming resistant to dispel, since it's a common tactic. I recommend your buffs being CL 20, which won't stop a dedicated build, but will at least stop an over-the counter GDM. CL 40 is better, of course, but unnecessary IIRC no one has gone with a build heavily focused on dispelling as an offense(rather than just a method of weakening the opponent) since Olo blew himself up.

Superglucose
2010-02-05, 03:53 AM
How am I supposed to get +7 to CL :smallconfused:

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-05, 09:29 AM
This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) should help you.

If you want further protection from dispelling, there's always a Ring of Enduring Arcana, and you can get a psionic tattoo of Dispelling Buffer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dispellingBuffer.htm) for 3300 gp. Immunity to common dispelling means can help too.