PDA

View Full Version : Car nuts/geeks/dorks/ethuists in the playground.

Tarnag40k
2010-02-04, 02:12 AM
Was wondering if there was any here? If so post up, also post up what you toy with.

Me I've got a 1990 accord coupe EX that I'm waiting to restored back to factory like condition and then daily, and a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L waiting to be turbocharged come december.

skywalker
2010-02-04, 05:06 AM
I found a patch of black ice in my driveway the hard way on Monday. Then I found a ditch (which I already knew was there) and a pile of rocks protecting a culvert, all with the front of my BMW 530i. I am currently a sad jedi. But, I ordered new parts today for about $400! Should be here in a couple of days!

Jack Squat
2010-02-04, 06:33 AM
I don't really have the money to put into any sort of restoration/upgrading of cars at the moment (yay minimum wage jobs!), but I did repair a 1994 Geo Metro that was involved in a front end collision.

Beyond that, the most I tinker with cars is oil and brake changes, though I do plan on working to restore a 1929 Ford Model A Roadster when I get out of college. Currently, it's 2 states away and stuck in a warehouse though.

Totally Guy
2010-02-04, 06:33 AM
2005 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L waiting to be turbocharged come december.

I've got a 1.6L myself. Over here it's called a Hyundai Coupe (coo-pay:smalltongue:).

I researched various cool cars but it was in fact your post you made when you first bought yours that initially alerted me to this particular model.

I'm not really a car enthusiast but if a car enthusiast likes it it's usually a good sign.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-04, 08:25 AM
Me and my friends fixed up my mom's old '95 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe. Now I drive it around. It's still got a lot of problems though, but I dont have the cash to fix them.

Totally Guy
2010-02-04, 08:35 AM
I pulled the passenger side door handle off one frozen morning...:smallfrown:

I need to reattach it... but I want to know if there's a way I could do it myself first. I mean I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for someone to apply superglue. But I don't want to try using superglue in case it's a stupid idea when I don't know any better.

Jack Squat
2010-02-04, 09:37 AM

I need to reattach it... but I want to know if there's a way I could do it myself first. I mean I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for someone to apply superglue. But I don't want to try using superglue in case it's a stupid idea when I don't know any better.

Door handles are pretty easy to replace. How exactly did it come off? Interior or Exterior?

If it broke off rather than popped out, you may need to get a new handle (junk/salvage yards are great for getting them cheap - also lets you practice by doing everything in reverse), but they shouldn't be that expensive if you buy new. Beyond that though, the actual repair shouldn't require much more than a screw driver and some free time.

KuReshtin
2010-02-04, 09:44 AM
I'm not really a car enthusiast as such, but I like my car.
It was dubbed the 'Nerd-Hurder' during one of the UKitP meetups, when I did a shuttle run between the pub we were at and the hotel most people were staying at.

It's a soccer-mom car. Vauxhall Meriva.
I'm currently not liking things too much, because i had a bit of a close encounter with a kerb just before Christmas, and it's still in the shop, because the insurance company has been stalling for ages about it.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-02-04, 10:24 AM
I'd like to know more about cars, but somehow it never comes up. It's not like I don't have the brain configuration for it -- I'm an engineering student -- I guess it's never gotten high enough on my list of priorities to get attention.

Motor heads talking motor lingo doesn't help either; whenever I hear two people debating steel vs. fiberglass frames or engine cylinders or whatnot, all I can think is "Whoa, these people are way too invested in cars." And this coming from a guy who posts on GitP.

Tarnag40k
2010-02-04, 07:24 PM

been having A LOT of those problems with our canadian guys here.

We have a DYI on tearing apart the door on the car forum somewhere, unfortunately, you'll need to replace it and have the handle repainted. Or you can order a chrome handle set in your paint code from seoulfulracing but they ship out of korea so not only may it be a few weeks but their prices only show shipping to the US. So it may be more for you.

skywalker
2010-02-05, 02:06 AM
I'd like to know more about cars, but somehow it never comes up. It's not like I don't have the brain configuration for it -- I'm an engineering student -- I guess it's never gotten high enough on my list of priorities to get attention.

Motor heads talking motor lingo doesn't help either; whenever I hear two people debating steel vs. fiberglass frames or engine cylinders or whatnot, all I can think is "Whoa, these people are way too invested in cars." And this coming from a guy who posts on GitP.

My best friend is an engineer, and I am an Econ major. Yet I know more about engines than he does.

It's funny that you can be so good at even mechanical engineering but it really doesn't mean you have any insight into how engines work. I find that ironic.

Totally Guy
2010-02-05, 03:30 AM
Or you can order a chrome handle set in your paint code from seoulfulracing but they ship out of korea so not only may it be a few weeks but their prices only show shipping to the US.

I might use this as an opportunity to go for chrome.

While I'm at it I also need a replacement wheel cap. But the only ones I can find are the "T" Tuscani Korean ones. The "H" ones I can't seem to get online. I don't feel like rebranding the whole thing.

Tarnag40k
2010-02-05, 07:19 AM
I might use this as an opportunity to go for chrome.

While I'm at it I also need a replacement wheel cap. But the only ones I can find are the "T" Tuscani Korean ones. The "H" ones I can't seem to get online. I don't feel like rebranding the whole thing.

Lucky for you I was looking at getting a UK auto-gear assembly so I can have the selector close to my steering wheel in gear select and one of the members gave me a website for a guy who sells coupe parts in england.

http://www.tiburonauto.com/

just go with the Tuscani crap, and then tell everyone it's some high-end independent exotic.

Miklus
2010-02-05, 08:54 AM
I bought a book and taught myself to change the oil on my own car. It is not hard and it have saved me a lot of money over the years. It also saves a trip to the shop. I just jack the car up on one side and reach in and unscrew the plug, then let the oil run into the empty oil bottle from last time. Then change the oil filter and fill in new oil. Easy money. :smallcool:

(Maybe I should add that everything is ridiculous expensive in Denmark and having your oil changed costs around $200).

I can't do the brakes, though. The last time I was in the shop they changed the pads to some non-aspestos ones that squeek. I annoys the hell out of me. And they wear out too fast and then you ruin the disks too and then they also need changing and so forth...:smallannoyed:

I also learned a little trick this winter. If one of your wheels spin on the ice, or you have trouble climbing an icy hill, you can pull the handbrake a little bit. It is the "poor mans diff lock". Or if all else fails, you can put it in high gear and go for some serious friction pulling. Eventually the ice will melt...