PDA

View Full Version : What is the Slender Man?

Pages : [1] 2

Amiel
2010-02-04, 03:03 AM
What is (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSlenderManMythos) the (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+slender+man&search_type=&aq=f) Slender Man? (http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=slender+man?)

Any theories, possibilities, whys, wherefores, conclusions, sightings, opinions, speculations, thoughts?

thubby
2010-02-04, 03:07 AM
it's a meem that's supposed to be scary...
good luck with that.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-04, 03:10 AM
Cool story. Nothing more.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-04, 03:39 AM
This (http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Slender+Man) seems to be a good summary based on what info I can find on it. I'd never heard of him before.

Basically, it started as a photoshop challenge on Something Awful and grew legs from there.

legionsoflore
2010-02-04, 03:48 AM
I know someone who intends to incorporate the slender man into one of their D&D games.

We talked about it sometime in the last month... funny that I should see the topic here.

Felixaar
2010-02-04, 03:48 AM
This is odd, as one of my characters is known only as "The Slender Man" for about twenty-thirty pages.

He's nothing like this, though, but this is infinitely creepy. I might have to write something simillar... eheeheeheehee!

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-04, 11:52 AM
I started watching the Marble Hornets project, and, though I know its all fake, I had to stop >.<

paddyfool
2010-02-04, 12:04 PM
Heh. Reminds me slightly of a figure I saw briefly in a dream when I was 13...

... except that that figure had a long, ragged cloak and a hat concealing his face, and stood on a mountaintop summoning flying skeletal horsemen out of a stormcloud.

The skeletal riders passed through a valley where bad people (who'd shot me earlier in the dream, almost but not quite waking me up...) lived, and swept them away. A girl I loved went up to the figure and he was me, and all was happy.

At some point later in this dream, I found myself on a rollercoaster with the A team. This remains the most awesome, and freaky, dream I've ever remembered.

randman22222
2010-02-04, 12:20 PM
I started watching the Marble Hornets project, and, though I know its all fake, I had to stop >.<

I just started. This is freaky. I like it. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Halloween costume idea acquired.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-04, 12:24 PM
You know what else is creepy?
The Grifter.

:smalltongue: I'm totally an /x/phile.

rayne_dragon
2010-02-04, 12:30 PM
Oddly enough, the pictures of the Slender Man remind me of Hatter M

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-04, 12:34 PM
Oddly enough, the pictures of the Slender Man remind me of Hatter M

Except Hatter M is a good guy, and won't stalk you and take your organs out, play with them, and then put them back in.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-04, 12:46 PM
The Slender Man? Well, as of two nights ago he's a bisected corpse courtesy of trying to remove the organs of the wrong paladin. :smallamused:

Green Bean
2010-02-04, 01:03 PM
Basically, it started as a photoshop challenge on Something Awful and grew legs from there.

Yes, that was the problem. :smalleek:

Kneenibble
2010-02-04, 01:11 PM

I know, it's totally eery. It's giving me the chills in broad daylight.

My only complaint so far was that the dried "blood" in video 16 was bright red. A pet peeve of mine.

averagejoe
2010-02-04, 01:16 PM
Guys, I am so unsettled right now. It's very unusual for me.

Tavar
2010-02-04, 01:26 PM
Okay, I'll admit. That's freaky.

averagejoe
2010-02-04, 01:51 PM
**** me, why do the videos have to keep showing him through windows? Since I can remember this is something that has scared me.

Sipex
2010-02-04, 02:34 PM
**** me, why do the videos have to keep showing him through windows? Since I can remember this is something that has scared me.

Hmm...I've had an epiphany how to make my campaign scarier.

Things through windows, just for a moment, tend to freak people out...a lot.

the doomed one
2010-02-04, 02:42 PM
All I know is that I need to stop watching the videos at 3:00am. :smalleek:
stupid creepy making me not sleep

Jacklu
2010-02-04, 02:47 PM
Rawr... actually, this isn't the scariest video series I have watched on youtube. I won't link the scariest. .-. I fear searching the videos and accidentally watching one by accident.

Sipex
2010-02-04, 02:48 PM
If you've got a name, let us know, I'm sure several of us would like to see it.

We're masochistic like that.

Boo
2010-02-04, 02:56 PM
Looks like the Tall Man from the Five Days series, but in a suit.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-04, 07:18 PM

"A researcher who studied childrens' fear of monsters found that, in virtually every culture, girls are afraid there's a beast under the bed. But boys are convinced that the monster is at the window. The difference may be an evolutionary hangover. It's been said that primitive females were more likely to roost in trees, so they feared what came from below, while males on the ground may have been more worried about sneak attacks from the side."

-from Eyewitness: Monster

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-04, 07:45 PM
Holy crap, that's freaky. Just lost myself down a rabbit-hole of this stuff. I am thoroughly creeped out now, especially by this blog (http://jafool.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/weird-****/).

I'm gonna curl up in a corner with my machete and dog now. :smalleek:

Raistlin1040
2010-02-04, 08:18 PM
O.O

This looks similar to the things I draw in my Math Journal. Impossibly tall, thin, with freaking appendages (mine generally have Edward Scissorhands-like claws and blades), and white eyes.

I'm a little freaked out right now.

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-04, 08:24 PM
The Slender Man is no one, yet he is everyone.

The Slender Man is nothing, yet everything.

The Slender Man is nowhere, yet everywhere.

You don't know who the slender man is.

Yet, he is you.

Drakevarg
2010-02-04, 08:28 PM
The Slender Man is Paranoia Personified.

ThreadKiller
2010-02-04, 08:30 PM
Hmm, he kinda reminds me of Jack from the Night Before Christmas minus the tendrils.

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/nx_021JackScares.jpg

Kneenibble
2010-02-04, 08:32 PM
Not to mention Buffy's The Gentlemen... including the silence.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2007/10/thegentlemen_425x319.shkl.jpg

Scoot
2010-02-04, 09:14 PM
Gah, tried to take my pup for a walk (It's 6PM and dark) after reading/watching all this stuff.

Needless to say I cut that trip short. :smalleek:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 09:26 PM
What is (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSlenderManMythos) the (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+slender+man&search_type=&aq=f) Slender Man? (http://www.deviantart.com/#order=9&q=slender+man?)

Any theories, possibilities, whys, wherefores, conclusions, sightings, opinions, speculations, thoughts?

You edited TV Tropes to create publicity for your story? Why?

Drakevarg
2010-02-04, 09:33 PM
Wot? Where? I see nothing new on that page...

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-04, 09:39 PM
Plus, that story isn't his. It's been around for a while. Something Awful started it.

averagejoe
2010-02-04, 09:47 PM
He actually reminds me more of the Terrible Trivium

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DVFl8ZPKJso/St08app1q-I/AAAAAAAABM4/kseG_C6LQN0/s400/TerribleTrivium.png

Of course, all he ever did was make people do tedious, meaningless chores.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-04, 10:04 PM
I shouldn't have watched it. I have paranoia problems.

But I did, and now I'll never get to sleep.

I have school tomorrow.

When I go insane, I'm blaming you, OP. When I crack.

Crack.

BH

BS

DF

JA

LR

RE

??

??

HIM

Yrcrazypa
2010-02-04, 10:10 PM
Am I the only person who finds the Slender Man hilarious looking, and not creepy? Any time I see someone with limbs stretched out, I laugh because it's silly looking, not creepy.

Starfols
2010-02-04, 10:11 PM
Looks like the Tall Man from the Five Days series, but in a suit.

I thought of that first, as well :smallamused:. That's probably where Croshaw got the idea from.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-05, 12:17 AM
Bam.
I'm totally going to ship about him now.
Because I certainly as hell can't sleep.

Amiel
2010-02-05, 01:41 AM
Whilst searching this subject, I chanced upon a most disturbing thing. Below is an extract for you to read; the accuracy of this may or may not be disputed.

There are woodcuts dated back to the 16th century in Germany featuring a tall, disfigured man with only white spheres where his eyes should be. They called him "Der Großmann"[Sic], the tall man. He was a fairy who lived in the Black Forest. Bad children who crept into the woods at night would be chased by the slender man, and he wouldn't leave them alone until he caught them, or the child told the parents what he or she had done. Even then, there is this chilling account from an old journal, dating around 1702:

(Translated from German, some words may be innaccurate)

''Steinmen Woods''

Both subjects were hunting in the Steinmen woods four hours before sundown. Surviving subject states that while hunting both men grew uneasy as fog levels rapidly increased. A constant murmuring sound accompanied by a low hum eventually became apparent to the two men an hour after the fog increased. An object falling out of tree stuck one of the men in the left shoulder causing him to discharge his weapon. Object said to be the body of a man of unknown age. It was very precisely dissected, with major internal organs still contained within the rib cage in what looked to be clear bags. Surviving subject placed organ bag within backpack. Attack followed several minutes later after a "low children's laugh, like a giggle". Surviving subject ran until he reached his vehicle. Subject then drove to assumed safety.

2007: Investigation team discovered twenty-two bodies of both genders and various ages impaled on broken tree branches in a radiating circle pattern with chest mutilation as often noted with Slender Man. Upon confirmation, the lead investigator called for an immediate evacuation of investigation team at 1700 hours. Bodies first discovered at 1100 hours. Deadline for safe evacuation of team with only viewed physical evidence of Slender Man approximately 1730. Lost contact of team at 1725. Safety procedures fell well within established protocols. Reason for abnormality is unknown. Second team recovered camera equipment one week later. Slender Man safety procedures require this incident's physical photographic evidence to be disposed of by no later than 10/20."

"I've been following the signs for quite some time."

"My child, my Lars...He is gone. Taken, from his bed. The only thing that we found was a scrap of black clothing. It feels like cotton, but it is softer...thicker. Lars came into my bedroom yesterday, screaming at the top of his lungs that 'The angel is outside!', I asked him what he was talking about, and he told me some nonsense fairy story about Der Großmann. He said he went into the groves by our village and found one of my cows dead, hanging from a tree. I thought nothing of it at first...But now, he is gone. We must find Lars, and my family must leave before we are killed. I am sorry my son...I should have listened. May God forgive me.""

It seems the Slender Man is not modern myth after all...

thubby
2010-02-05, 01:55 AM
*rolls eyes*

reorith
2010-02-05, 02:25 AM
Am I the only person who finds the Slender Man hilarious looking, and not creepy? Any time I see someone with limbs stretched out, I laugh because it's silly looking, not creepy.

you say that now...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-05, 02:31 AM
Whilst searching this subject, I chanced upon a most disturbing thing. Below is an extract for you to read; the accuracy of this may or may not be disputed.

Sauce Plz.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 02:34 AM
Hmm, he kinda reminds me of Jack from the Night Before Christmas minus the tendrils.

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/nx_021JackScares.jpg

That was my first thought.

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-02-05, 02:46 AM

It seems the Slender Man is not modern myth after all...I found the same stuff in a youtube video. Is that, by any chance, where you found it?

Amiel
2010-02-05, 03:00 AM
Sauce Plz.

I found the same stuff in a youtube video. Is that, by any chance, where you found it?

I actually happened upon it reading the TvTropes page dedicated to it; funny, though, how it seem to have been deleted now. That's weird.

I'll see if I can find any more information for you
Has anyone heard of the Grinning Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grinning_Man), by any chance? It seems molded from the same phenomenon and the Grinning Man is appreciably older.

I did manage to find something interesting.

"A German woodcut from the 1540s. It has puzzled historians since it was discovered at Halstberg castle in 1883. The woodcut bears the distinct style of a known woodcut artist from that area, Hans Freckenberg. Although know for his realistic depiction of human anotomy in his works, something that was unusual for the woodcuts in the 16th century, this picture differs radically from the rest of Freckenbergs works. The character to the right bears little semblance to a human being, with skeletal physique and long limbs at odd angles. Many theories have been dicussed as to what Freckenberg wanted to symbolize with that character, some say its a personification of the religious wars that raged in Europe at the time, others say its a personification of the mysterious plague that have been believed to be the reason for the mysterious abandoning of the Halstberg castle and the nearby village in 1543."

NOTE: Next source has numerous misspellings. Amateur work at best, but good research.
"According to legend there was the Der Schlupt (the Tall Person) that would be sited by children in the Black Forest of Germany a few days prior to their disappearance. As recorded by the church during this time period, after there was wide spread reported sightings of these creatures surrounding a particular village its inhabitants would vanish the next time the clergy men would visit to hold ceremonies. All that would be left behind were the mutilated remains of the livestock, and in a few cases the village inhabitants where found several miles outside the village impaled in the higher branches of trees."

Now, the Slender Man of modern myth may or may not be real and even the quotes above, but some legends are based on fact and occurrence. The Wolf Man was apparently based on a cannibal, who lived in a remote German village abutting the Black Forest. The stories of the Brothers Grimm were certainly more gruesome and realistic more than the less sterilised renderings offered in later children fairy tale retellings.
And who knows the uncountable cryptids yet to be discovered, sighted and acknowledged?

Coidzor
2010-02-05, 03:06 AM

Wat. My suspension of disbelief is stymied by the ending there. No one who owns cattle would "think nothing of it" if their kid told them that they saw one of the cows hanging from a tree with its insides torn out. They'd at least beat the kid for making up such a lie about one's livelihood or investigate.

Writer fail.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-05, 03:08 AM
I actually happened upon it reading the TvTropes page dedicated to it; funny, though, how it seem to have been deleted now. That's weird.

I'll see if I can find any more information for you
Has anyone heard of the Grinning Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grinning_Man), by any chance? It seems molded from the same phenomenon and the Grinning Man is appreciably older.

I did manage to find something interesting.

"A German woodcut from the 1540s. It has puzzled historians since it was discovered at Halstberg castle in 1883. The woodcut bears the distinct style of a known woodcut artist from that area, Hans Freckenberg. Although know for his realistic depiction of human anotomy in his works, something that was unusual for the woodcuts in the 16th century, this picture differs radically from the rest of Freckenbergs works. The character to the right bears little semblance to a human being, with skeletal physique and long limbs at odd angles. Many theories have been dicussed as to what Freckenberg wanted to symbolize with that character, some say its a personification of the religious wars that raged in Europe at the time, others say its a personification of the mysterious plague that have been believed to be the reason for the mysterious abandoning of the Halstberg castle and the nearby village in 1543."

NOTE: Next source has numerous misspellings. Amateur work at best, but good research.
"According to legend there was the Der Schlupt (the Tall Person) that would be sited by children in the Black Forest of Germany a few days prior to their disappearance. As recorded by the church during this time period, after there was wide spread reported sightings of these creatures surrounding a particular village its inhabitants would vanish the next time the clergy men would visit to hold ceremonies. All that would be left behind were the mutilated remains of the livestock, and in a few cases the village inhabitants where found several miles outside the village impaled in the higher branches of trees."

Now, the Slender Man of modern myth may or may not be real and even the quotes above, but some legends are based on fact and occurrence. The Wolf Man was apparently based on a cannibal, who lived in a remote German village abutting the Black Forest. The stories of the Brothers Grimm were certainly more gruesome and realistic more than the less sterilised renderings offered in later children fairy tale retellings.
And who knows the uncountable cryptids yet to be discovered, sighted and acknowledged?
First, sources. Secondly, we're talking about the medieval period; a massacred village, while not exactly commonplace, isn't unheard of and need not be attributed to the supernatural.

averagejoe
2010-02-05, 03:15 AM

I don't care what their limbs are like, if they appear at windows then they are ****ing scary.

Frig, I shouldn't have come back to this thread in the evening. This morning, with the sun shining through my window, I was getting creeped out.

Edit:

First, sources. Secondly, we're talking about the medieval period; a massacred village, while not exactly commonplace, isn't unheard of and need not be attributed to the supernatural.

It sounds vaguely familiar to something I glanced over on the original Something Awful thread that spawned this whole thing, but I could be wrong as I found their written stories to be fairly uninteresting. Someone did, however, do one or two photomanipulations of woodcuts that were in some way supposed to be "early depictions" of the Slender Man.

reorith
2010-02-05, 03:24 AM
0333, and i'm sitting in my room lights on loaded sks on my lap, mossberg 500 in african carry, 1911 at my hip, webley mark vi in mexican carry. seven feet from a window. i am officially creeped out.

Alleine
2010-02-05, 03:42 AM
I'm honestly not understanding the creepiness. Tried watching the videos on youtube, but they got boring. Its hard to be interested when 90% of the footage is of the ground right below whoever has the camera.

Meh. I've always found traditionally 'scary' things to be boring. Why's it scary? It ain't happening to me, and its most likely fake. Maybe I'm just good at controlling my emotions.

Yrcrazypa
2010-02-05, 05:26 AM
I'm honestly not understanding the creepiness. Tried watching the videos on youtube, but they got boring. Its hard to be interested when 90% of the footage is of the ground right below whoever has the camera.

Meh. I've always found traditionally 'scary' things to be boring. Why's it scary? It ain't happening to me, and its most likely fake. Maybe I'm just good at controlling my emotions.

I'm awful at controlling my emotions, I'm easy to anger, easy to please, easy to make sad, and typically I'm easily startled and scared. This? This isn't scary, it's funny. Just like that Legion trailer with the pizza delivery man, or whatever he was, where his limbs extend a few feet and he hobbles along like that, I was laughing my butt off when I saw it. With few exceptions, any time you mess with the proportions of a human to make them scary, it makes them hilarious to me.

Kneenibble
2010-02-05, 08:44 AM
*rolls eyes*

His eyes are rolling in panic, guys! Get him a sedative -- or if we're out, some horse tranquilizer!

The thing about fear is that it's not rational. People don't see the matter with a thought process like, "a mysterious man with elongated limbs cannot mean me good, in fact he seems to harm those he stalks. Therefore I shall fear for myself who am in danger. This is correct."

When I was younger, if I stayed up too late past 1 am or so, I would lie in bed paralyzed with a cold, shivering, adrenaline terror that aliens were around me in the dark. Totally irrational and I always laughed at it during daylight.

Now I haven't had an episode of my alien terror in quite some time, but last nght I was up really late finishing homework, and I had a Slender Man terror while trying to fall asleep. It worked because he kinda looks like an alien in a suit.

That's the way it works. You can't understand why something like this is scary, because it just triggers something at a level that is underneath understanding. My control over my emotions is just fine: I've had a lot of actorly training to make it so.

Commence laughing at me please.

averagejoe
2010-02-05, 09:05 AM
Found the above mentioned page (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8) with the false woodcut and the passage about Freckenberg.

See, for me it's the opposite. Anything where I know exactly what's going on has never been scary to me. You know the video I found scariest? I believe it was the third one, where it's just spliced together footage of Alex just sitting around. Especially since there was just a long shot of the camera pointed at the window, and you expect him to appear there, but he never does and somehow that's terrible since you keep imagining he's about to. That's really what it's about; things that trigger your imagination to find the scariest possible things. Because given the chance, it will.

Or maybe you just have no imagination.

Seriously, though, fear is like humor in that it just has to "do it" for you. There are a lot of reasons that it is scary, but in the end you just have to "get it" intuitively, and it's different for everyone. That's part of why I find this fascinating. I haven't found anything to be this genuinely scary since I was, like, eight. I find almost nothing scary, but this somehow just gets to me. It has nothing to do with emotional control; to control fear you need fear in the first place.

Edit:

It worked because he kinda looks like an alien in a suit.

That's actually a good point, he does kinda resemble a Grey in many superficial aspects. I wonder if there's just something about an ultra lanky, tall humanoid that triggers the fear response in people?

Sipex
2010-02-05, 09:11 AM
That german woods story is actually something made by the Something Awful thread when they started going on about Slender Man. There are images which accompany it too.

It's amazing how much of an impact this kind of thing has though, it was discussed there that, possibly, while he isn't real, enough belief in him will make him real.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-05, 10:12 AM
0333, and i'm sitting in my room lights on loaded sks on my lap, mossberg 500 in african carry, 1911 at my hip, webley mark vi in mexican carry. seven feet from a window. i am officially creeped out.
I'm creeped out too, but more that you chose to carry a gun stuffed down your waistband than by the Slender Man. That's actually dangerous. :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2010-02-05, 12:52 PM
The Slenderman mythos is a pretty good example of how to do simple horror. Create something plausible, give enough information to create speculation but not so much that you can think of a way to defend yourself from it, keep suggesting new ways it could be dangerous (making it seem omnipresent, capable of supernatural feats, causative of insanity, and possibly real are all good strategies), and keep giving out little snippets of unexplained content on it. I find the early pictures and stories on it in the original thread (which averagejoe linked) the most effective; the "Steinmen woods" post here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5) is a good example. Note that the original Slenderman images are on page 3 of that thread, posted by Victor Surge.

reorith
2010-02-05, 01:00 PM
I'm creeped out too, but more that you chose to carry a gun stuffed down your waistband than by the Slender Man. That's actually dangerous. :smalltongue:

mexican carry has a long history of safe and effective use.

golentan
2010-02-05, 01:30 PM
mexican carry has a long history of safe and effective use.

It also has a long history of "Whoops, I forgot to put the safety on, I wish I had used a hip holster."

The slender man/thin man has never scared me. Mostly cuz I think I could take him.

ghost_warlock
2010-02-05, 02:19 PM
Scared of the slender man? **** I am the slender man! :smallannoyed:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/girr.jpg

Dvandemon
2010-02-05, 02:21 PM
I know someone who intends to incorporate the slender man into one of their D&D games.

We talked about it sometime in the last month... funny that I should see the topic here.

I was thinking the exact same thing:smallbiggrin:

Sipex
2010-02-05, 02:24 PM
He's definitely inspired me to work on a horror based quest. I might use Bodak Skulks though (I can't remember their names exactly). Or maybe an atropal.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-05, 02:31 PM

The big black spot behind you is terrifying.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-05, 02:37 PM
I know from posts on /tg/ that a couple people have run World of Darkness games involving Slenderman, which strikes me as a pretty good way to do it. Call of Cthulu/ Delta Green would work, too. The problem with doing it in DnD is that you want his abilities to be somewhat undefined and unclear.

As for his known abilities:
Can be mistaken for a human
Very tall, great reach; may be able to stretch himself to greater heights
Very strong
Often pops out a bunch of tentacles when people get close to him
Some ability to mesmerize or hypnotize people at close proximity; may have some form of mind control, which appears to be most effective on children
Can interfere with the dreams of subjects, often to set up later mind-control or inform them that he plans to attack them
Great stealth; may be invisible to some people
Ability to appear and disappear suggests either invisibility, extremely rapid movement, or some type of teleportation ability

In DnD, Skulk or Choker with some templates would be a good way to model it. I'd give Slendy Frightful Presence, a Suggestion SLA, the Dark template for stealth bonuses and Hide in Plain Sight, Aberrant Reach, Deformity (Tall), and perhaps other reach improvements. And a bunch of tentacles plus Improved Grab and Improved Grapple and some form of Constrict, of course.

Giving him Swordsage levels with some Shadow Blade maneuvers (particularly Shadow Blink) might be good to make him still scary to a high-level party.

averagejoe
2010-02-05, 03:28 PM
the "Steinmen woods" post here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5) is a good example.

These were never as creepy to me, but there's something very primeval about them. Like, I dunno, listening to whale song if whales were natural predators of humans. Or something.

RandomNPC
2010-02-05, 10:54 PM
ya know every time i get a chance to check out this thread everyone else goes to bed....

hey that rhymed!

ya know point plesant actually has mothman tourism? they've got a museum and everything. You could even buy little plushies. My mother in law's from there, the locals think it's silly, but people pay money for it.

Syka
2010-02-05, 11:00 PM
I'm not generally scared of stuff.

Things like close-but-not-quite-human things like Slenderman and aliens are what freaks me out. Ghosts do to a lesser extent (see: Paranormal activity), but things like Slender Man and aliens are what really get me. I can't see Fourth Kind because I'm THAT scare by aliens.

Come to think of it, it's mostly aliens that freak me out. Not even Slender Man things...I get over those fairly quickly if I distract myself. I find it impossible to distract myself from aliens.

And closets. Closet doors need to be closed, ever since I saw Saw. I have issues sleeping with an open closet.

To sum up, if I'm alone in a dark room or quiet house, I can't have my back to a window (for alients) or a closet (for a crazy guy in a pig mask). I know it wouldn't REALLY help but it helps psychologically...

....:smalleek: Now I won't be able to sleep until my mom comes home and I have to work tomorrow. :smallsigh:

chiasaur11
2010-02-05, 11:01 PM

Things like close-but-not-quite-human things like Slenderman and aliens are what freaks me out. Ghosts do to a lesser extent (see: Paranormal activity), but things like Slender Man and aliens are what really get me. I can't see Fourth Kind because I'm THAT scare by aliens.

Come to think of it, it's mostly aliens that freak me out. Not even Slender Man things...I get over those fairly quickly if I distract myself. I find it impossible to distract myself from aliens.

And closets. Closet doors need to be closed, ever since I saw Saw. I have issues sleeping with an open closet.

To sum up, if I'm alone in a dark room or quiet house, I can't have my back to a window (for alients) or a closet (for a crazy guy in a pig mask). I know it wouldn't REALLY help but it helps psychologically...

....:smalleek: Now I won't be able to sleep until my mom comes home and I have to work tomorrow. :smallsigh:

Play X-Com.

I advocate kill or cure therapies, yes.

ghost_warlock
2010-02-05, 11:06 PM

The big black spot behind you is terrifying.

I can't help but think that it looks terribly familiar...

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/scarywarlock.jpg

Total coincidence, though.

golentan
2010-02-05, 11:35 PM
Scared of Aliens

I scare you? Don't be scared, please? I'm a good 'un.

Coplantor
2010-02-06, 02:43 AM
Dammit, 5:58 AM, I'm hearing noises coming downstairs.

averagejoe
2010-02-06, 05:10 PM
Whenever I get scared I just try to think about Skeleton Harvester. (http://buttersafe.com/2008/03/13/romance-on-the-floating-island/) He makes me feel safe.

Dragero
2010-02-06, 07:47 PM
Why do I get the feeling he is one of the unholy creations of 4chan?

Drakevarg
2010-02-06, 08:03 PM
Aha! Slender Man = Anonymous.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-06, 08:04 PM
I can't help but think that it looks terribly familiar...

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/scarywarlock.jpg

Total coincidence, though.

OMG VIVI
( yeah, I know, there are bunches of other not so cute and nice dark mages. But that makes it all silly like)

SurlySeraph
2010-02-06, 08:28 PM

Of Something Awful, actually, so many 'channers dislike him for that.

Raiki
2010-02-06, 09:24 PM

Don't worry Syka.

You, of all people, don't need to be scared. You're so nice that any scary alien or slightly-off-human-thing would feel instant and intense shame for frightening you, and would either kill itself or offer reconciliatory hugs.

ghost_warlock
2010-02-06, 10:38 PM
Don't worry Syka.

You, of all people, don't need to be scared. You're so nice that any scary alien or slightly-off-human-thing would feel instant and intense shame for frightening you, and would either kill itself or offer reconciliatory hugs.

That, or bring meaty presents. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7829389&postcount=653)

SurlySeraph
2010-02-06, 11:17 PM
Guess I should repeat some advice I gave on a previous thread...

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/f/2009/184/0/4/04f029d229534be36ac2be189e56f266.jpg

Don't think of him as something scary. Just think of him as a new friend just waiting to hug you with all of his many, many arms.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-06, 11:22 PM
I don't know, because he isn't. :smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2010-02-06, 11:45 PM
ya know every time i get a chance to check out this thread everyone else goes to bed....

hey that rhymed!

ya know point plesant actually has mothman tourism? they've got a museum and everything. You could even buy little plushies. My mother in law's from there, the locals think it's silly, but people pay money for it.

There are similar places in New Jersey that have Jersey Devil stuff.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-06, 11:52 PM
That, or bring meaty presents. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7829389&postcount=653)

Totally embarrassed to have that here >>

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-06, 11:57 PM
I feel constrained to point out that it was you, my dear Rabbit, who put it on the Internet in the first place. :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-07, 12:06 AM
I feel constrained to point out that it was you, my dear Rabbit, who put it on the Internet in the first place. :smalltongue:

Yeah, to the Shippers.
People I know won't judge too harshly =P

Coidzor
2010-02-07, 12:18 AM
Well, that's because of... well...

Yeah....:smalleek:

Coplantor
2010-02-07, 02:16 AM
For some reason, I just love this slender man, not the man,but the phenomenon, it's beautiful, a silly contest in a forum wich grew to urban legend proportions in just a few years, a myth that can be tracked down to it's very roots, there's no other paranormal beign faker than the slender man, yet there's people who have claimed to see him, people here on this very forum who admit to be afraidof him, I, for example, knowing all this, got quite nervous while watching the videos and reading the blog. There's something poetic behind this slender man myth.
Besides, he's got this lovecraftian taste that jus drives me crazy.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-07, 02:25 AM
What's even worse about him is that the legend states the more you look into him, research him, the more likely he's going to come for you.
And, yet, I'm willing to bet that many of us are continuing to look anyways.

Coplantor
2010-02-07, 02:31 AM
What's even worse about him is that the legend states the more you look into him, research him, the more likely he's going to come for you.

That's the lovecraftean thing about him that I love, there more you know the worst for you it's not like those creepy figures that come after you if you say their names three times, it's knowledge that will kill you and your hunger for it. Now, should I be worried that I spent about six whole hours looking for information on him? And that then I drew pictures of him all this afternoon because he is so awesome?

Serpentine
2010-02-07, 02:51 AM
I've just spent about 5 hours going through that original thread. Dammit. Tell me, has anyone come across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59FJ4HrmU) yet?

Drakevarg
2010-02-07, 02:55 AM
Marble Hornets is pretty much a must for Slender Man.

Lycan 01
2010-02-07, 03:38 AM
I'm going to have sooooo much fun with my DnD players...

Right now they're ascending the stairwell of a necromancer's tower. I think as they ascend the stairs, they'll start to hear footsteps below them, or scratches on the stone walls around them. Its a tall tower, so there will be a few landings on the platforms for them to take a rest. Each landing will have a random item, like chairs to rest in or something, as well as torches to illuminate the area. There willl also be windows. As they go along, I'll roll secret checks - those who pass will perhaps see the dancing shadows cast by the torches, and notice that some of the shadows further down the stairs they've come from aren't dancing. And if they pass while walking by a window, they'll catch a glimpse of pale white eyes watching them from the other side of the window as they pass by it. Keep in mind, they're hundreds of feet up, since the tower is built on top of a castle, and its also pitch black outside.

Finally, near the top of the landing, there will be a large full-length mirror surrounded by torches on one of the landings. I'll make a secret check for every player who passes by it. To almost everyone, the mirror will be just that - a miror. But to the lowest roller, they'll notice something... strange... as they walk by it. Going back to double-check, they find themselves looking into the mirror and seeing only themselves. (It was at this point while writing this that my sleeping dog made sudden sniffing noises a few feet from me, and it made me jump) But as they look closer, a shape looms out of the darkness behind them - a tall man wearing a black suit, his long lanky arms dangling limply by his sides, bony white hands slowly flexing. His gaunt pale face will be surveying the player with blank white eyes, and a disturbing smirk will stretch across his face from side to side. His head will also be tilted to the side slightly, adding more to his creepy image.

Naturally, the player will wheel around to see what's behind him. And naturally, there will be nothing. It is assumed that the players will argue and bicker about what to do, and probably break the mirror or throw it out a window or something. As soon as the players feel safe and begin to ascend the final portion of the stairs... all the torches on all the landings and in their hands will go out, and they will be shrouded in complete darkness.

Its at this point that the tower begins to echo with the laughter of children. :smalleek:

Cue the players' making a mad dash up the remaining stairs while trying to light torches and possibly tripping their comrades (they've done it before) while I make "secret" rolls in front of them sheerly for the sake of freaking them out. They'll finally get to a ladder and a trap door, and I'll start making "real" secret rolls behind my book or something, ignoring the results. Finally, as the last player climbs the ladder and goes through the trap door, an icy cold will grab his ankle in its bony grasp, and he'll be yanked back down through the trapdoor. If he's lucky, the other players will grab him and start making STR checks to keep a hold of him. If they don't... well...

I suppose he'll be dragged into the darkness, and the trapdoor will slam shut. Several shrieks, childrens' giggles, and squishy noises later, the door will fling open and his ravaged upper torso will fly up through the trapdoor and land at their feet, his internal organs removed and his eyes torn out, his expression eternally locked in a ghastly scream.

What do ya'll think? That sound good enough? I refused to go to any of the links ya'll provided for the sake of my own sanity, so I'm basing all of this off just what I've read in this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I started getting kinda nervous about halfway through writing that, and I almost had to fight the urge to look over my shoulder. :smalleek:

Mordokai
2010-02-07, 03:50 AM
This thread has lead me to do some exploration and I eventually found this (http://thepath-game.com/).

There is one rule in the game. And it needs to be broken.
There is one goal. And when you attain it, you die.

Six sisters live in an apartment in the city. One by one their mother sends them on an errand to their grandmother, who is sick and bedridden. The teenagers are instructed to go to grandmother's house deep in the forest and, by all means, to stay on the path! Wolves are hiding in the woods, just waiting for little girls to stray.

But young women are not exactly known for their obedience, are they? Will they be able to resist the temptations of the forest? Will they stay clear of danger? Can they prevent the ancient tale from being retold?

The Path is a game about growing, about changing, about making choices, about accepting the consequences of these choices. A game about playing, and failing, about embracing life, perhaps by accepting death.

And by Sune mercy, this one did make the hairs on my back stand up just a little. If you play it at night, with headphones on and just the right volume... I can almost guarantee that you'll get nervous, at the very least.

Fair warning, I wouldn't recommend it to the faint of heart. But if you like to try something new and something exciting, this is most definetly the game for you. And it fits with the whole Slender Man thingie.

Can't wait to play some more of it tonight.

Coidzor
2010-02-07, 04:49 AM

Duh. Because it loses its effect the more you see people discussing the fact that it's an artificial mythos.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-07, 06:57 AM
I've just spent about 5 hours going through that original thread. Dammit. Tell me, has anyone come across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59FJ4HrmU) yet?

Yes, that was posted in the OP.

And it is still just as creepy as the first time I watched it. :smalleek:

Edit: But totheark's videos can be just as creepy sometimes. For example, Warning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of07rSEO0hE).

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-07, 08:35 AM
One day ago I read this thread, thought nothing of it, after all it's just in internet sensation right?
I went out with my friend, told her about it, she laughed too. There was a fantastic busker on one street, we think he was a university student, he was good. We took a photo with my camera, my friend wanted a snatch of his voice so she filmed him.
When we got back to her room we had a movie night, got to talking with another friend and we showed her the picture, the film.
She pointed out something on both things.
"Who's that tall man there, just by the doorway to MacDonald's? He's [curseword] creepy - just look at how tall his is! Is he a stilt walker? Why didn't you tell me there was a stilt-man too?"
He wasn't there! I swear by God, angels and all things holy he wasn't there when we took the picture! I know he wasn't there! I would have noticed him.
He wasn't there.
The film, he was on the film. It was one minute forty-seven seconds long. I was talking, "Wow, this singer's really good, d'you think he's from our uni or Oxford Brookes?"
My friend, "I don't know, but he plays a great guitar."
There's a three second section of the film of silence. But he wasn't silent! The singer was in the middle of a song! There was background noise, cars, people, laughter. Why was there silence.
The man, so tall, he wasn't looking in the shop any more. He turned aorund. It must have been a mask.
It must have, maybe we just weren't looking at the masked stilt-man because the singer was so good. He couldn't have been faceless. Maybe the phone footage was too grainy to see his face properly. That makes sense doesn't it?? But why could I see his hands. So thin, thin, so pale.

I didn't want to sleep, but I did, my windows sealed shut, curttains tightly drawn. My door, locked for the firt time at university. I decided to throw away my camera the next day, I didn't want to see the stilted-man again.
I woke fully dressed.
I. i. I, don't I can't. I can't remember what happened. There, my camera, it was on. The photographs, so many of them, all around Oxford.
Stilted-men. Every picture, he was in them, so tall. Taller, he was growing. My pictures, they saw him. Why can't I remember. My camera, its timestamps. Four hours I was outside taking phtographs.
Plaeman. The stilted-paleman.
Too tall. Too tall. The door to the college, it is fifteen feet tall, the smaller one, seven feet. His chest was level with the smaller door. The photos, every one came closer and closer to my room. The last one.
Oh no, please God, someone save me. Outside my friend's room. Fifth picture from the end. Her house is keyed to let only the people inside in. Did she let me in? The stamp, four oh two a.m. It can't be that.
He took m in.
He took me in.
The last photo.
My corridor, he was on the stairs. Coming up. So big, arms split. He's after me. Five forty-seven a.m. My corridor. Why an't I remember from two a.m. to six am?

My camrea is destroyed. Shattered. Noone must see them again, no more. My friend, she didn't come to breakfast. She rpromised. We killed her.
The stiled-man. I killed her? I don't know. Outside her door.
Why one hour and forty-five minutes between her door and mine? It takes five minutes to walk there to here.
The gap between fifth from end and the forth form the end is sixty-four mintes.
What did I do? Why hasn't she answered my calls? noone's calls.
I can't leave my room. He's waiting.
I don't want to die.
I deserve it.
I told her about the Slender Man.
The SLender MaNis here.

tHE WINDOW!

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-07, 09:57 AM
Damnit, Curly! :smallfrown::smalleek:

ghost_warlock
2010-02-07, 10:58 AM

Sorry. I linked it because I liked it and wanted to share it's awesomerawritude. :smallredface:

Edit:

Also, is anyone else reading the thread reminded of this Adam Phillips video (http://www.biteycastle.com/taken.htm)?

Kneenibble
2010-02-07, 12:05 PM
Someone's at the door

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-07, 12:06 PM
Someone's at the door

Shut up, shut UP! :smalleek:

Durp
2010-02-07, 12:09 PM
The slenderman is Jack Skellington on crack. /thread. :smalltongue:

Phase
2010-02-07, 12:31 PM
Jack Skellington is no Tulpa. Jack Skellington would never bisect a child, stuff their organs into plastic bags, then stuff them back in, and then impale the corpse on branches.

Durp
2010-02-07, 12:39 PM
Jack Skellington is no Tulpa. Jack Skellington would never bisect a child, stuff their organs into plastic bags, then stuff them back in, and then impale the corpse on branches.
But he would if he were on crack.

randman22222
2010-02-07, 12:44 PM
I just finished watching MarbleHornets.

:smalleek:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-07, 12:51 PM
If anybody is scared out of their mind by Marble Hornets, the cure is right here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFqdr34e7U)

Raiki
2010-02-07, 02:30 PM
This literally gave me a night terror last night. I haven't had so much as a nightmare for as long as I remember (barring this one really strange one I had when I was seven) but last night I just lay in bed for like 4 hours, trying not to put my back towards any of the windows. Freaking. Out.

My girlfriend thought I was effing crazy. I was too nice to tell her about the slender man.

But of course, today, in the light of day, here I am doing more research. I'm not going to sleep at all tonight, I know it. :smalleek:

~R~

chiasaur11
2010-02-07, 02:46 PM
Duh. Because it loses its effect the more you see people discussing the fact that it's an artificial mythos.

And, for good and for ill, there's no situation as tempting to the human mind as a button that says "Do Not Press."

Add in that there's gotta be a reason for a nasty to not want his past known generally, and the last superstitious part of my mind remembers the end of "Hell House". As Father Brown said "If the devil tells you something is too fearful to look at, look at it. If he says something is too terrible to hear, hear it. If you think some truth unbearable, bear it."

And some people just like getting spooked.

Lycan 01
2010-02-07, 03:19 PM
The funny thing is, before ya'll mentioned that he was a recently created legend, I was actually intending on asking my German teacher about the legends of Der GroBman and those other German stories associated with him. :smallsigh:

Voldecanter
2010-02-07, 03:19 PM
Not to mention Buffy's The Gentlemen... including the silence.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2007/10/thegentlemen_425x319.shkl.jpg

I was thinking of this very thing and was thinking ...No ****ing way ...don't even tell me those things have some lore behind them .

KuReshtin
2010-02-07, 03:33 PM
I was thinking of this very thing and was thinking ...No ****ing way ...don't even tell me those things have some lore behind them .

My first thought was of Eugene Tooms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_%28The_X-Files%29), what with the removal of organs and stretched arms.

Durp
2010-02-07, 03:36 PM
My first thought was of Eugene Tooms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_%28The_X-Files%29), what with the removal of organs and stretched arms.
That episode scared the crap out of me, but slenderman never has. I just don't find slenderman too frightening.

Raiki
2010-02-07, 04:21 PM

Holy middle-school flashbacks batman!

When I first read that post, I knew that name soundly vaguely familiar, but couldn't pinpoint it. After clicking the link, it all came back.

Funny thing is I never watched that episode of X-files. (I didn't even know it was an episode until just now) I read the book, which was frankly rather bad.

Now I've gotta troll the internet for an episode revolving around little green dots that eat lumberjacks.

~R~

KuReshtin
2010-02-07, 04:39 PM
Holy middle-school flashbacks batman!

When I first read that post, I knew that name soundly vaguely familiar, but couldn't pinpoint it. After clicking the link, it all came back.

Funny thing is I never watched that episode of X-files. (I didn't even know it was an episode until just now) I read the book, which was frankly rather bad.

Now I've gotta troll the internet for an episode revolving around little green dots that eat lumberjacks.

~R~

Tooms is in two different episodes, both are equally creepy on their own.
I remember them releasing those two episodes as a continuous feature length episode on VHS back in the day.
And if watching one of the episodes on it's own was creepy as hell, watching them both, back to back was absolutely terrifying.

BTW, Tooms was voted as the 12th scariest moment in Movies or TV back in 2003.

Thufir
2010-02-07, 08:18 PM
OK, so I watched Marble Hornets. It has a certain compelling horror to it.I can also see the Lovecraft comparison. But I don't find it that scary.

You know what does scare me?

One day ago I read this thread, thought nothing of it, after all it's just in internet sensation right?
I went out with my friend, told her about it, she laughed too. There was a fantastic busker on one street, we think he was a university student, he was good. We took a photo with my camera, my friend wanted a snatch of his voice so she filmed him.
When we got back to her room we had a movie night, got to talking with another friend and we showed her the picture, the film.
She pointed out something on both things.
"Who's that tall man there, just by the doorway to MacDonald's? He's [curseword] creepy - just look at how tall his is! Is he a stilt walker? Why didn't you tell me there was a stilt-man too?"
He wasn't there! I swear by God, angels and all things holy he wasn't there when we took the picture! I know he wasn't there! I would have noticed him.
He wasn't there.
The film, he was on the film. It was one minute forty-seven seconds long. I was talking, "Wow, this singer's really good, d'you think he's from our uni or Oxford Brookes?"
My friend, "I don't know, but he plays a great guitar."
There's a three second section of the film of silence. But he wasn't silent! The singer was in the middle of a song! There was background noise, cars, people, laughter. Why was there silence.
The man, so tall, he wasn't looking in the shop any more. He turned aorund. It must have been a mask.
It must have, maybe we just weren't looking at the masked stilt-man because the singer was so good. He couldn't have been faceless. Maybe the phone footage was too grainy to see his face properly. That makes sense doesn't it?? But why could I see his hands. So thin, thin, so pale.

I didn't want to sleep, but I did, my windows sealed shut, curttains tightly drawn. My door, locked for the firt time at university. I decided to throw away my camera the next day, I didn't want to see the stilted-man again.
I woke fully dressed.
I. i. I, don't I can't. I can't remember what happened. There, my camera, it was on. The photographs, so many of them, all around Oxford.
Stilted-men. Every picture, he was in them, so tall. Taller, he was growing. My pictures, they saw him. Why can't I remember. My camera, its timestamps. Four hours I was outside taking phtographs.
Plaeman. The stilted-paleman.
Too tall. Too tall. The door to the college, it is fifteen feet tall, the smaller one, seven feet. His chest was level with the smaller door. The photos, every one came closer and closer to my room. The last one.
Oh no, please God, someone save me. Outside my friend's room. Fifth picture from the end. Her house is keyed to let only the people inside in. Did she let me in? The stamp, four oh two a.m. It can't be that.
He took m in.
He took me in.
The last photo.
My corridor, he was on the stairs. Coming up. So big, arms split. He's after me. Five forty-seven a.m. My corridor. Why an't I remember from two a.m. to six am?

My camrea is destroyed. Shattered. Noone must see them again, no more. My friend, she didn't come to breakfast. She rpromised. We killed her.
The stiled-man. I killed her? I don't know. Outside her door.
Why one hour and forty-five minutes between her door and mine? It takes five minutes to walk there to here.
The gap between fifth from end and the forth form the end is sixty-four mintes.
What did I do? Why hasn't she answered my calls? noone's calls.
I can't leave my room. He's waiting.
I don't want to die.
I deserve it.
I told her about the Slender Man.
The SLender MaNis here.

tHE WINDOW!

Yeah. Nicely done there. :smalleek:

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-07, 08:39 PM
I can't sleep tonight. Jerk. :smallannoyed:

KuReshtin
2010-02-07, 08:40 PM
In deed.
Curly's story brought a whole new level into this, what with SM taking her on the trip to her friend's dorm while she was asleep.

Curly should post that on one of the official SM boards, or at the blog.

Voldecanter
2010-02-07, 10:30 PM
Yeah , I can't get to sleep now either .....no fair :smalleek:

Nevitan
2010-02-07, 11:06 PM
If anybody is scared out of their mind by Marble Hornets, the cure is right here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFqdr34e7U)

Yeah, that pulls the horror right out of it, especially some of the comments on the video. XD

Syka
2010-02-07, 11:24 PM
Yeah, that pulls the horror right out of it, especially some of the comments on the video. XD

I love the "what the (censored) is a slenderman? does he serve subpoenas or something is that why that dude is avoiding him "

And the "So, from this video, we can conclude that Slenderman is a pimp."

Admittedly, the videos STILL creeped me out, but luckily I've got my trusty boyfriend right beside me.

What was that? I think I heard something out the window right behind me...:smallwink: (Yes, I actually am currently sitting with my back to a window that's maybe 6 inches from my head.)

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-07, 11:35 PM
So after freaking myself out a while back with Just Another Fool, I'm just now getting around to watching Marble Hornets. I suspect this will turn out to be a very bad decision, and yet...

At episode 6 now, and for some reason the audio distortion in 5 was very disturbing to me. My hackles are raised.

Just finished 15, and I'm fairly undisturbed. Meh.

16 was both long and creepy. Plus, I'm now the only one awake in my house. :smalleek:

17's done. He's going back to the house. Judgment rules out tonight. Going to bed now. Will watch rest tomorrow.

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-02-08, 05:06 AM
Honestly, I thought the first few Marble Hornets videos were pretty creepy, the ones that actually included Slender Man and the story behind him. But after a certain point they just got boring and repetitive. :/

Innis Cabal
2010-02-08, 06:22 AM
The only time I was really "creeped out" was when the masked man appeared on the couch suddenly, and then made a dash for the camera man. Thats it. After that it got...comical and unrealistic. Why go alone? Why not tell someone? Why not go to the police? You have evidence.

Serpentine
2010-02-08, 09:03 AM
I felt the need.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/SlenderMan.gif http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/SlenderMan2.gif

Sipex
2010-02-08, 10:08 AM
I live in a heavily treed city.

I am so screwed :(

Syka
2010-02-08, 10:28 AM
So last night, Boyfriend took me home about half an hour after I posted.

Keep in mind, I do NOT live in a forested area, and I know it's fake.

...I was still looking around just WAITING to see a tall skinny figure in a suit, like standing under the eves of my house or something. Then it took me forever to get to sleep. :smallsigh: I'm pathetic.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-08, 12:09 PM
Damnit, Curly! :smallfrown::smalleek:

BAhahahahaha! :smallcool: Pretty good isn't it? I could write more of this sort of thing.

OK, so I watched Marble Hornets. It has a certain compelling horror to it.I can also see the Lovecraft comparison. But I don't find it that scary.

You know what does scare me?

[Curly's story]

Yeah. Nicely done there. :smalleek:

Hehe, so my story is better than 'official' SM productions. Huh, the films aren't that scary then? Eh, guess I'll watch them tonight. Well, all the ones I haven't seen yet.

In deed.
Curly's story brought a whole new level into this, what with SM taking her on the trip to her friend's dorm while she was asleep.

Curly should post that on one of the official SM boards, or at the blog.

I may do, but it involves registering on things and whatnot; I do kind of want to write more. I actually have a sequel in mind to the other one, not much, but hopefully a little creepy.

@Syka: same thing here. I'd spent ages reading the SM thread and then went to a friend's room for a meal, but I could feel myself still thinking about the SM so I made myself go to the bar and buy a drink.
That's no hard task at all.
But it was dark, sort of, but not really foggy and there were quite a few trees. Just enough trees with just enough branches to make the SM possible.
And I knew full well the SM was fake. Actually it was very atmospheric, I wish my caera did work and then I could've attempted a few (extremely poor) SM pics of my own. And then scared myself silly every time I walked that way again - i.e. every day.

@Ellardin: I have a very vivid imagination and I love the supernatural, I know about tulpa phenomena and suchlike, creepy creepy creepy. I don't think it'll happen though.
I do think the SM would make a nice entry in the SCP Foundation though.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-08, 03:00 PM
I hate waiting for the school bus ever since I watched Marble Hornets. I'm so jumpy now. :smallsigh:

Nevitan
2010-02-08, 03:09 PM
...I was still looking around just WAITING to see a tall skinny figure in a suit, like standing under the eves of my house or something. Then it took me forever to get to sleep. :smallsigh: I'm pathetic.

I kept going back and forth from fear of seeing my door open to laughing thinking about hearing the 20 dollar song start to play from outside.

Stormthorn
2010-02-08, 05:51 PM

Silly urban legend. Kinda like Candlej

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-08, 06:08 PM
Silly urban legend. Kinda like Candlej
Obviously faked. :smalltongue: Candlejack doesn't come unless you finish his na

Gorgondantess
2010-02-08, 06:22 PM
Oh, marble hornets was creepy... until we find him going to the house at night. Seriously? What the hell? That totally destroyed suspension of disbelief for me- who checks out something creepy at night?:smallsigh:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-08, 06:25 PM
I kept going back and forth from fear of seeing my door open to laughing thinking about hearing the 20 dollar song start to play from outside.

I'm currently at the point where I'm scared when I imagine the song.

Raiki
2010-02-08, 06:42 PM
I'm not entirely sure why, but watching MarbleHornets actually made me less scared. Honestly, I can't seem to understand why the slender man gave me such a rough couple of nights now.

Strange.

~R~

chiasaur11
2010-02-08, 06:48 PM
I am an avid believer in thinking that if enough people believe in something it may become real somehow or in some way (Like Bigfoot apparently) , I knew the Slender Man wasn't real last night ; but I couldn't get to sleep . I had to drive back to my apartment from the country , and I was freaked half way home , having to drive around forests and everything . I also had the freakiest dreams of the Slender Man last night , and said to myself "The Slender Man isn't real , The Slender Man isn't real ,but if enough people believe in him he might be real , so damn people stop thinking he's some real urban myth or something , oh and if he hears my thoughts he could appear here right now and get me !:smalleek: . "

I don't buy it.

I mean, look up spontaneous generation. Everyone believed it. If anything was going to become real based on belief? That would be it. But tests busted that little myth, despite enough belief to fill ten games of World of Darkness.

And then there's Mythbusters, disproving a number of common assumptions.

Everything I've seen testing the matter has convinced me more and more of the basic idea that reality doesn't care what you think about it.

Phase
2010-02-08, 06:59 PM
Well, with String Theory, all universes are possible. Who's to say that in our universe, believing in this particular entity enough will make him truth?

Oh, marble hornets was creepy... until we find him going to the house at night. Seriously? What the hell? That totally destroyed suspension of disbelief for me- who checks out something creepy at night?:smallsigh:

Someone compelled by an other-worldy force. The same force that causes him to lose hours of his memory, or climb the inside of a condemned rock-wall with one hand after being invited there by an insane person. It's lovecraftian.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-08, 07:19 PM
So, my throat began to be sore yesterday, and then today it was worse.
I didn't think anything of it til I decided to read the rest of Just Another Fool a few minutes ago, and watched the videos of Logan/Matt's journal.
I remembered becoming sick, with a sore throat and cough, is a recurring theme.

I am suddenly terrified.

Vespe Ratavo
2010-02-08, 07:32 PM
So, my throat began to be sore yesterday, and then today it was worse.
I didn't think anything of it til I decided to read the rest of Just Another Fool a few minutes ago, and watched the videos of Logan/Matt's journal.
I remembered becoming sick, with a sore throat and cough, is a recurring theme.

I am suddenly terrified.
...I got sick on Friday...which is when I first heard about Slenderman. Symptoms including sore throat and cough. Not joking.

:eek:

Raiki
2010-02-08, 08:08 PM
Now that the horror has passed, I've come up with the best idea ever!

The next con I go to, I am totally cosplaying as Slender Man. The costume would be amazingly easy to make, and I might give a few people nightmares! (Which is just my strange form of vengeance against the universe in general for the last 2 nights that I've had.)

So, what do you guys think? Cool idea, or too cruel?

~R~

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-08, 08:21 PM
I was thinking of doing this for my Next Halloween costume , but alas , I will need stilts or some form of elevation because I am only 5'11 , and not tall enough to pull off a slender man . :smallannoyed:
I'll need to mention this to my sister's friend. He's 6'8" and 120 lbs. The dude is plenty healthy (though one of those that has to eat nearly continuously) but I've never seen someone so thin and tall in my life.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 08:21 PM
So, what do you guys think? Cool idea, or too cruel?

Methinks most people would mistake you for Jack Skellington.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-08, 08:27 PM
BTW, if it hasn't been mentioned the Slender Man was statted by Hyooz and won last month's Monster competition:

The Slender Man (GITP Mon Comp XLI - My Immortal) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7707638&postcount=11)

Methinks most people would mistake you for Jack Skellington.
Just need to make sure the face is obscured without eyes or mouth.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-08, 08:38 PM
BTW, if it hasn't been mentioned the Slender Man was statted by Hyooz and won last month's Monster competition:

The Slender Man (GITP Mon Comp XLI - My Immortal) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7707638&postcount=11)
Neutral? :smallconfused:

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 08:41 PM
In the sense that his motivations are too incomprehensible to have an alignment? It's like giving a plague an alignment.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-08, 08:53 PM
In the sense that his motivations are too incomprehensible to have an alignment? It's like giving a plague an alignment.
INT 12, WIS 20, CHA 36? No, if it has that kind of mental capacity and does what it does, it's malevolent.

Kallisti
2010-02-08, 08:56 PM
What is the Slender Man? A miserable little pile of slender secrets. But enough talk, have at you!

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-08, 08:56 PM
INT 12, WIS 20, CHA 36? No, if it has that kind of mental capacity and does what it does, it's malevolent.

Agreed.
Not neutral.
Ever.

Kidnapping children and killing people gruesomely after driving them insane is not a neutral way of life.

randman22222
2010-02-08, 09:09 PM
@Raiki: I had the same idea. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I watched [the ending of] Paranormal Activity last night, plus finished up MarbleHornets.

A little uneasy falling asleep. Nothing that bad.

Why don't I scare anymore!? :smallannoyed:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-08, 09:25 PM
SM could quite easily be neutral. I imagine everyone here would consider themselves fairly smart people.
Clearly, by having killed bugs in your lifetime, you are evil. No self respecting self aware being can kill other beings with no quandry.

Or, as one some of you might recognize, there is a quote that sums this up quite nicely. "...giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on." :smallamused:

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 09:32 PM
SM could quite easily be neutral. I imagine everyone here would consider themselves fairly smart people.
Clearly, by having killed bugs in your lifetime, you are evil. No self respecting self aware being can kill other beings with no quandry.

Or, as one some of you might recognize, there is a quote that sums this up quite nicely. "...giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on." :smallamused:

QFT.

For all we know, to Slender Man could see us as roughly equivalent to insects. Or a door. He may be intelligent, but he's an utterly alien entity whom may simply not perceive humans as intelligent beings.

So his whole "tearing out your organs and neatly wrapping them up" thing? Maybe it's his equivalent of zen gardens or something.

Raiki
2010-02-08, 09:34 PM
I was thinking of doing this for my Next Halloween costume , but alas , I will need stilts or some form of elevation because I am only 5'11 , and not tall enough to pull off a slender man . :smallannoyed:

I may need a little extra height too. I'm somewhere about 6' 2", but that's not quite tall enough for SM. Maybe I can just wear some really tall boots? Fortunately, I am rather - well - slender.

Anyway, I think I'm definitely going to aim for Slender Man at Otakon.

And in regards to this:

I imagine everyone here would consider themselves fairly smart people.

Or, as one some of you might recognize, there is a quote that sums this up quite nicely. "...giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on."

I reference this:

Kidnapping children and killing people gruesomely after driving them insane is not a neutral way of life.

Squashing a spider doesn't make you evil. However, tracking down the place where the spider's children play, ripping off each of their legs, sewing them back on, then tacking the (theoretically still alive) spiders to a cork board?
That...just might qualify.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-08, 09:52 PM

Nonsense. We've all killed bugs, yes, but I somehow doubt most of us stalk and dismember them while doing everything in our power to scare the living daylights out of them first. It doesn't just incidentally kill; it purposefully stalks and brutally dismembers, but not before making a concerted effort to drive the victim to insanity. That's a little too much for not realizing what it's doing.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 09:57 PM
Nonsense. We've all killed bugs, yes, but I somehow doubt most of us stalk and dismember them while doing everything in our power to scare the living daylights out of them first. It doesn't just incidentally kill; it purposefully stalks and brutally dismembers, but not before making a concerted effort to drive the victim to insanity. That's a little too much for not realizing what it's doing.

Unless it's kinda like Cthulu; simply being nearby is enough to drive people insane. I personally picture Slender Man as someone who sees humans the way you might see a Rubix Cube. An interesting toy to fiddle with.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-08, 10:01 PM
If the Slenderman didn't know what he was doing, and was going it arbitrarily, he wouldn't be nearly as scary as he is.
At the wildlife sanctuary I volunteer at, there's what I think is a Barbary lion. Anyways, whatever type of lion it is, its known for having killed and eaten people.
It does not scare me because it simply kills and eats.
The Slender Man, as shown in all of the multimedia, knowingly tortures its victims and kills them for fun.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-08, 10:03 PM
Unless it's kinda like Cthulu; simply being nearby is enough to drive people insane. I personally picture Slender Man as someone who sees humans the way you might see a Rubix Cube. An interesting toy to fiddle with.
Except it isn't. Questions of whether Cthulhu is evil aside (a resounding yes, by the way), the Slender Man, according to the mythos, isn't indiscriminate. If simply being nearby was enough, it would screw up everybody, not just it's chosen victim.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 10:33 PM
Therefore I offer a new theory;

The world is a video game. The Slender Man is the protagonist.

Think about some video games you've played recently. Or DnD, or whatever. If you had to live in a world where your own character actually existed, ESPECIALLY if you were a non-allied entity, would you not be absolutely terrified?

The Slender Man is a PC. We are the goblin tribe over the hill.

ghost_warlock
2010-02-08, 10:37 PM

I just wanted to note that it might not have made any difference what time of day he went there. In one of the videos he does venture into the house during the day, has an encounter, and then it's suddenly night.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-08, 10:54 PM
Re: spider killin'.

So now bug collectors are evil? They track down specific bugs, capture them, kill them in what is probably pretty horrific to the bug, and then nail them to a cork-board. Seems to fall along the same lines.

Or maybe he's an evil, cruel killer.

But since 'inscrutable' isn't an alignment, Neutral/Unaligned fits best, I think.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-08, 10:55 PM
He still goes alone. Makes no effort to contact anyone. See's signs of violent struggle, not to mention -blood- (Which...looked awfully fake) and continued in alone. A mite on the unrealistic side.

If it were me, those tapes would be at the local police and I'd be doing my best for them to take a look at the house.

As also mentioned, the camera man actually stuns, knocks over, and walks up to the Masked Man. Does -nothing- to unmask him though he's fully in his power to do so, giving the Masked Man the time to react after the stunning, and then gives him the chance to flee. Why? I'd be punching him in the face, and taking off the broken pieces of the mask. Also, why is the Masked Man there at all? He's not the Slender Man, so he surely is trying to "protect" the Camera Man, but...at the same time is seen in his room, messing with his things. Not all that helpful. Also assulting him in the house....all a bit odd.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 10:59 PM
He still goes alone. Makes no effort to contact anyone. See's signs of violent struggle, not to mention -blood- (Which...looked awfully fake) and continued in alone. A mite on the unrealistic side.

Slender Man-induced insanity.

If it were me, those tapes would be at the local police and I'd be doing my best for them to take a look at the house.

"Officer, I'm being stalked by a twenty-foot tall man with no face. Unfortunately all my recordings freak out when he's in the area, so I don't have much proof. *klik* ...Officer? Hello?"

As also mentioned, the camera man actually stuns, knocks over, and walks up to the Masked Man. Does -nothing- to unmask him though he's fully in his power to do so, giving the Masked Man the time to react after the stunning, and then gives him the chance to flee. Why? I'd be punching him in the face, and taking off the broken pieces of the mask. Also, why is the Masked Man there at all? He's not the Slender Man, so he surely is trying to "protect" the Camera Man, but...at the same time is seen in his room, messing with his things. Not all that helpful. Also assulting him in the house....all a bit odd.

Why doesn't he unmask him? Probably shock. It seemed like he was about to unmask him when the Masked Man woke up and attacked him again. As for his purpose? Well, lets see if more videos come out and we'll see.

EDIT: Also, just because;

He is coming.

He is fear.

He is the mist.

He is the trees.

He is the chill down your spine.

He is suffering.

He is sorrow.

He is.

He is not.

He is paradox.

He is the stranger on the corner.

He is the knock at the door.

He is the face at the window.

He is the shadow beneath your bed.

He is hunger.

He is the truth.

He is madness.

He is other.

He is the hunter.

He is the hunt.

He is ancient.

He is panic.

He is the spinner.

He is the web.

He is error.

He is anonymous.

He is everywhere.

He is nowhere.

He is the whisper.

He is paranoia.

He is nightmare.

He is the Slender Man.

HE IS HERE.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-08, 11:28 PM
But since 'inscrutable' isn't an alignment, Neutral/Unaligned fits best, I think.
Our understanding or lack thereof isn't relevant to his motivations, and that's what determines good, evil, or neither. There's an outside possibility that there's some overriding reason to terrorize, torture, mutilate, disembowel, and kill random people that compels the Slender Man to behave this way despite his wishes not to, but I find it unlikely; the much simpler explanation fitting the known "facts" is depravity.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-08, 11:30 PM
"Officer, I'm being stalked by a twenty-foot tall man with no face. Unfortunately all my recordings freak out when he's in the area, so I don't have much proof. *klik* ...Officer? Hello?"

Not all of them do. In fact there are at least 4 or 5 instances of the Slender Man showing up -on camera-. In places he shouldn't be. Just watching. Heck, one of them he's at the -window- staring into the house. Another he's slinking around a corner, and Alex gets freaked as soon as he does so. Obviously there is some credit to this "Freak" and his actions.

Not only that, the house was clearly broken into. Blood is all over the place. Odd drawings and pictures. The police might be interested in that.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 11:33 PM
You're assuming, again, that he has motivations. Disregarding the monster sheet here, there's no proof that the Slender Man has anything comperable to human emotions. He's simply there, and does things. He's an anomaly in the universe, not any more subject to moral quandary than ball lightning or some other freak disaster. Just because he's roughly humanoid doesn't make him capable of empathy.

Not all of them do. In fact there are at least 4 or 5 instances of the Slender Man showing up -on camera-. In places he shouldn't be. Just watching. Heck, one of them he's at the -window- staring into the house. Another he's slinking around a corner, and Alex gets freaked as soon as he does so. Obviously there is some credit to this "Freak" and his actions.

Not only that, the house was clearly broken into. Blood is all over the place. Odd drawings and pictures. The police might be interested in that.

Ninja'd.

The house is a good point. Of course he really should have never gone there to discover that stuff in the first place. Given that he was nuts enough to do that, it's not all that suprising that he'd be too disturbed to call the cops at that point.

Of course he could have filed a missing person report in the first place BEFORE diving head first into the crazy storm.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-08, 11:34 PM
I liked Marble Hornets. I am connoisseur of distortion, and that was pretty tasty. :smallcool:

Innis Cabal
2010-02-08, 11:45 PM
Something also to note. The Masked Man is having convlusions when he is seen after the brief altercation. Something that confuses me as well. Having been the tatget of numerous fights far worse then what was "Shown" on camera, I have to wonder just exactly whats going on with the Masked Man. Whats more, the Camera Man sees to be...caught with coughing. Not regular fits of coughing, but ones so terrible he is unable to move.

Edit: And he does go to attempt removing the mask from the Masked Man. But instead of an intellegent person with his Fight reflex high and kicking the man when he's down, he just -walks- over to him

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 11:49 PM
Something also to note. The Masked Man is having convlusions when he is seen after the brief altercation. Something that confuses me as well. Having been the tatget of numerous fights far worse then what was "Shown" on camera, I have to wonder just exactly whats going on with the Masked Man.

It was less an epic fight as "guy scared out of his mind enters a supposedly empty house, some dude in a mask comes out of freaking nowhere and rushes him, they have a brief scuffle."

The guy wasn't wounded or exhausted. He was just shocked, confused, and terrified. Hence the hesitation. After the Masked Man gets back up neither the camera nor the guy holding it has any memory of what happened, so that's just a mystery.

EDIT-Ninja'd: I know he went for the mask. Again, he did it slowly because he was in shock. So his mind was still going "WTF WTF WTF WTF" while the investigative part of his brain was in the corner wetting itself.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-08, 11:52 PM
I did call it brief scuffle several times. Which is what it was. Its also not clear if it was the Masked Man on the Couch, or in fact the Slender Man himself. As he rushs the camera, its hard to tell proprotions, but he looks to be wearing a suit and to be tall, with a shaved head. Not like the man in the mask. Who might have come in and saved the Camera Man in his moment of trouble...which might explain the shaking and convulsing.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 11:56 PM
I did call it brief scuffle several times. Which is what it was. Its also not clear if it was the Masked Man on the Couch, or in fact the Slender Man himself. As he rushs the camera, its hard to tell proprotions, but he looks to be wearing a suit and to be tall, with a shaved head. Not like the man in the mask. Who might have come in and saved the Camera Man in his moment of trouble...which might explain the shaking and convulsing.

No, it was definately the Masked Man. While he's charging the cameraman, you can get a fairly good look at his face; it's clearly not featureless, and he's not wearing a suit. (Even in the blur of motion, his outfit is clearly beige, not black.)

However, the mental image of Slender Man sitting on a couch reminds me of Darkseid. lulz.

tyckspoon
2010-02-09, 12:04 AM
He is error.

I don't think Slender Man material is supposed to make you burst out giggling. If you'll pardon me I have some shoopery to do.. :smalltongue:

Drakevarg
2010-02-09, 12:20 AM
The giggling is merely a sign that you are giving in to madness. :smallwink:

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-02-09, 03:08 AM
On the topic of Slender Man having done nothing illegal, he's actually caught on tape sneaking into Alex's room one night while he's asleep.

averagejoe
2010-02-09, 03:10 AM
Also, why is the Masked Man there at all? He's not the Slender Man, so he surely is trying to "protect" the Camera Man, but...at the same time is seen in his room, messing with his things. Not all that helpful. Also assulting him in the house....all a bit odd.

I thought it was the one who originally made Marble Hornets. Alex? I had the idea that he had become a puppet, or at least terrifically mad, and he wears the mask to make himself resemble the Slender Man more.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-09, 04:26 AM
I thought it was the one who originally made Marble Hornets. Alex? I had the idea that he had become a puppet, or at least terrifically mad, and he wears the mask to make himself resemble the Slender Man more.

Its possible, and it does certainly point in that direction. He dosn't seem to mess with the Camera Man. Though its hard to tell just who is kidnapping him, or at least taking him out and putting him back into the room.

So, it could be Alex. Or the other actor. Its hard to tell, though he does have the stuff on youtube. They seem to be the same person, or at least connected to the Masked Man in some way

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-09, 06:04 AM
Sure, in any normal situation J'd be an idiot for going alone, but think about it for a second.

You're going to a house based on an anonymous tip trying to find you friend (remember, he thought Brian would be there and hoped Brian could tell him where Alex went) after inheriting a bunch of strange videos of said friend being stalked by a tall man with no face in a suit. Who would actually go with you?

Not to mention that you'd be bringing another person into this whole mess. Brian's life, even before the masked man being in his room, was quickly deteriorating. He couldn't sleep, he was getting a horrible cough, his memory was messed up. I'm sure he'd had at least fleeting thoughts that they were connected, and that's enough to convince you when you're doing something strange.

Helanna
2010-02-09, 09:49 AM
...I got sick on Friday...which is when I first heard about Slenderman. Symptoms including sore throat and cough. Not joking.

:eek:

What's terrifying is that the exact same thing happened to me. I went home sick on Friday with a sore throat and a cough. Then I got bored, so I got on Giantitp, and then I looked at this thread . . .

Stormthorn
2010-02-09, 12:20 PM
Therefore I offer a new theory;

The world is a video game. The Slender Man is the protagonist.

Think about some video games you've played recently. Or DnD, or whatever. If you had to live in a world where your own character actually existed, ESPECIALLY if you were a non-allied entity, would you not be absolutely terrified?

The Slender Man is a PC. We are the goblin tribe over the hill.

He apparently plays some sort of stealth kill / debuff class.

What's terrifying is that the exact same thing happened to me. I went home sick on Friday with a sore throat and a cough. Then I got bored, so I got on Giantitp, and then I looked at this thread . .
Are you familair with the phrase psychosomatic illness?

Kulture
2010-02-09, 02:29 PM
The phenomenon that is the slender man is not merely a gaunt, lanky man with obscured features, but the fear he inspires.

He's a memetic spectre, continuing to 'exist' or rather 'occur' because of the paranoia he inspires.

P.S We need an OoTS style avatar....we just do...

Nevitan
2010-02-09, 02:50 PM
P.S We need an OoTS style avatar....we just do...

On that count Serpentine has you covered already!

I felt the need.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/SlenderMan.gif http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/SlenderMan2.gif

Helanna
2010-02-09, 02:57 PM

Not really. I am familiar with the phrase "Caught the bug that's been going around school for a week", but this makes for a better story! :smalltongue:

(I meant to put that disclaimer in the original post, but I was rushed for time <coughmiddleofclasscough> and forgot.)

It is kind of weird we both got sick on Friday after reading about this, but at least where I live just about everyone's been sick lately, so it's not a huge coincidence.

chiasaur11
2010-02-09, 03:01 PM
He apparently plays some sort of stealth kill / debuff class.

I feel the phrase "Apophenia" noun. The tendency to see connections where none exist.

is more apropos.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-09, 03:48 PM
I got bored.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Hito-chan/108_0382.jpg

chiasaur11
2010-02-09, 03:58 PM
You know, Facelessness hasn't ever been scary to me. I mean, I think it was mainly youthful exposure to The Question. And realizing that the show "Life" was basically a "The Question" TV show minus the mask only further cut the fear. Now, whenever I see facelessness, I only hear Jeffery Combs or, worse still for fearfulness, the calming voice of Damian Lewis spouting Zen koans.

It's a problem.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-09, 05:46 PM
The one weakness to slender man is condiuctivity. Like a hot frying pan although fire doesn't itself harm them.

Don't ask how I found out. Pray it never comes to using the weakness. It only hurts it. Just run.

I don't see it anymore. I think it moved on.

chiasaur11
2010-02-09, 06:07 PM
The one weakness to slender man is conductivity. Like a hot frying pan although fire doesn't itself harm them.

Don't ask how I found out. Pray it never comes to using the weakness. It only hurts it. Just run.

I don't see it anymore. I think it moved on.

That, son, is stupider than Barugon's weakness to his own rainbow laser. I mean, conductivity? Really?

Phase
2010-02-09, 06:09 PM
Slenderman has no weakness. For all intents and purposes, he doesn't exist. Slenderman is a tulpa, and he was conceived as an immortal, unstoppable. You've obviously just hit Blenderman (http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/) in the face with a frying pan.

Nice job breaking it, hero.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-09, 06:15 PM
That, son, is stupider than Baragon's weakness to his own rainbow laser. I mean, conductivity? Really?

Who is Baragon?

chiasaur11
2010-02-09, 06:23 PM
Who is Baragon?

A giant lizard monster who attacks Tokyo.

However, it turns out I was thinking of Barugon, a giant lizard monster who attacks Tokyo. I apologize for the confusion.

Serpentine
2010-02-09, 08:46 PM
P.S We need an OoTS style avatar....we just do...Erm... I'll take it as a compliment, but generally it's considered good manners to ask before taking an avatar (not to mention attributing the creator in your sig)... Also, VT's asked to give those/one of those to the winner of a Monster-making Competition (linked to earlier in the thread), so that person will have priority with them/it (if they're not using it as an avatar, maybe you could ask them if you can use it).

While I'm on that topic, Dis and I are considering making a super-creepy animation out of those avis :sabine:

Dispozition
2010-02-09, 08:51 PM
While I'm on that topic, Dis and I are considering making a super-creepy animation out of those avis :sabine:

That we are. :D

Stormthorn
2010-02-09, 11:09 PM
I started watching Marble Hornets yesterday.
Today i have a caugh.

I find this an amusing but highly explainable coincidence.

Stormthorn
2010-02-10, 01:17 AM
.....did something that goes bump in the night possess your computer to double post at different times ? That would be creepy ! :smallwink:

Yes. Yes something did. It is called Teh Interwebz. Sometimes it lets me refresh the page normaly, and sometimes it forces me to double post.

Neko Toast
2010-02-10, 01:39 AM
Despite the fact that I know the origins of the Slender Man (it's all very elaborate, but it's still just a fake paranormal image at the end of the day), I'm having some trouble falling asleep. This probably involves a few different factors, but one of them is that I'd rather not have a bad dream about this Internet Meme.

It's mostly the Marble Hornets videos that are getting to me. I haven't seen all of them, but I've seen enough to be creeped out by them,

Worira
2010-02-10, 01:44 AM
Guys, this is totally weird! I got a cough, and not three days later, I read this topic!

As a side note, I find conductivity to be about the most hilarious weakness I've ever heard of.

Kneenibble
2010-02-10, 02:05 AM
I heard him on the porch right outside my bedroom window twice last night. He woke me up about 3:30 am, and I didn't get back to sleep until after dawn.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-10, 06:39 AM
I heard him on the porch right outside my bedroom window twice last night. He woke me up about 3:30 am, and I didn't get back to sleep until after dawn.

Hehe, the Slender Man is getting to people.
I suppose I'll throw in a freaky coincidence as well: I came down with a cough and 'flu on Saturday . . . after reading this thread! :smalleek:
Actually there's a 'flu virus going around and I caught it . . . late Friday night probably.

KuReshtin
2010-02-10, 06:53 AM
i was woken up early this morning by the monitor of my desktop turning itself on for no apparent reason.
Lit up the entire room with that Windows login screen blue tint. The computer itself was just sitting there, humming to itself, offering no explanation as to why the monitor started up.
Freaked me right out.

Dispozition
2010-02-10, 07:22 AM
So...Ummm...I think I'm doomed now.

I went through great trouble to find this evidence of the Slender Mans existence (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/CompleteSlenderManAnimeLarge.gif)

((All thanks go to serp for the actual drawing side of it, all I did was add some bad film grain and animate it.))

EDIT: And it doesn't loop...BRB while I FIX THAT MAJOR OVERSITE D:
EDIT EDIT: TOTALLY FIXED NOW. Serp rawks my sawx.

Thufir
2010-02-10, 07:40 AM
Actually there's a 'flu virus going around and I caught it . . . late Friday night probably.

This is kinda the point. I think this thread went up just around the time that colds and flu viruses were flying around anyway.

I got bored.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Hito-chan/108_0382.jpg

Why the bit about Yggdrasil?

KuReshtin
2010-02-10, 07:51 AM
Why the bit about Yggdrasil?

It was mentioned in Matt's notebook on Just Another Fool.
At one point, there's a post that that Dav-guy has received the notebook, and goes through it. Yggdrasil is mentioned in the video clips showing the opening of the book.

randman22222
2010-02-10, 10:15 AM
Heh. Is it bad that when I look out at the barren forests of West Virginia, I occasionally think I see him? :smalltongue:

Sipex
2010-02-10, 10:21 AM
You guys do know if you kill him he just regrows where he died, right?

Mauve Shirt
2010-02-10, 10:30 AM
My sister constantly talks about nightmares she's had featuring the Slender Man. Now I know what he is and I can mock her for being a goon. :smalltongue:

Phase
2010-02-10, 10:39 AM
You guys do know if you kill him he just regrows where he died, right?

Err, no. No he doesn't. You can't KILL HIM. He can't be stopped, he can't be distracted, he will come for you...

chiasaur11
2010-02-10, 11:00 AM
It was mentioned in Matt's notebook on Just Another Fool.
At one point, there's a post that that Dav-guy has received the notebook, and goes through it. Yggdrasil is mentioned in the video clips showing the opening of the book.

Yggdrasil? The world tree?

Ah. Seems the slender man just got demoted to small potatoes. Ragnarök is the more pressing concern.

Besides, if worse came to worse, Thor could beat him senseless in a drunken stupor. That's just how the Norse deities rolled.

Green Bean
2010-02-10, 11:36 AM
My sister constantly talks about nightmares she's had featuring the Slender Man. Now I know what he is and I can mock her for being a goon. :smalltongue:

Ah, but what if she isn't? :smalleek:

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-10, 11:47 AM
Err, no. No he doesn't. You can't KILL HIM. He can't be stopped, he can't be distracted, he will come for you...
Pay attention, class. I killed him last week. :smalltongue:

Sipex
2010-02-10, 12:29 PM
Pay attention, class. I killed him last week. :smalltongue:

You do realise that pretty much means nothing. I'm surprised you're still alive to post now, you been playing it safe recently?

Mauve Shirt
2010-02-10, 12:31 PM
Ah, but what if she isn't? :smalleek:

She is. I just didn't know it was to the extent that she's having dreams about memes.
Then again, I've had dreams about the playground.
Then again again, I do not claim to not be a playgrounder.

randman22222
2010-02-10, 12:57 PM
Hmm. That ARG blog thingum got boring. Was reading it, now I'm not. :smallconfused:

Thufir
2010-02-10, 01:00 PM
Yggdrasil? The world tree?

Ah. Seems the slender man just got demoted to small potatoes. Ragnarök is the more pressing concern.

Besides, if worse came to worse, Thor could beat him senseless in a drunken stupor. That's just how the Norse deities rolled.

Alternative theory: The Slender Man is actually Loki.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-10, 01:11 PM
I thought Slender Man was Sephiroth?

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-10, 01:15 PM
You do realise that pretty much means nothing. I'm surprised you're still alive to post now, you been playing it safe recently?
No, I'm just a rogue paladin with a good smiting arm and a high Spot check. :smalltongue: Incidentally, that's also how I know he's not neutral. :smallamused:

Kneenibble
2010-02-10, 01:16 PM
He tapped on my bedroom window again last night, twice, about the same time, 3:30 am. It's an enclosed porch with a locked door, too.

Thufir
2010-02-10, 01:18 PM
I thought Slender Man was Sephiroth?

That's ridiculous. Sephiroth doesn't play comlicated mind games with his victims, stalking them and so on. If Sephiroth is after you, you don't spot him lurking outside your house; if you're looking the right way, you spot him slicing through the wall of your house before he kills you.

Loki, on the other hand, is big on the manipulation.

Dirk Kris
2010-02-10, 01:54 PM
OK, so I am a grown-ass man, well past my teens, so theoretically I should A) have no fear, and B) DEFINITELY not fear the non-existent Slender Man. And yet, about 1:00 AM, I was having trouble falling asleep, and had to FORCE myself NOT to think about him so I could get to sleep. You Playgrounders are cruel, cruel people.

Sipex
2010-02-10, 01:55 PM
If it helps he was created by grown-ass men (and women!) who were all pretty afraid of him.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-10, 01:59 PM
It's no worse than having nightmares about film characters or even cartoon characters.
Frankly, if something's terrifying enough, I don't care where it's from. Dolls . . . *whimper* It's the effect we're after, and if the effect works, then it's a successful creation no matter what medium it's in.

I have also been bored (this doesn't relate - much - to that other story):

Missing Students
Another five university students have disappeared from universities in central ENgland this week, bringing nationwide disappearances up to thirty-one in the last month.
Numerous interviews with friends and family of the deceased have only shown one correlation: that they all seemed to have been talking about a certain figure - perhaps a cult leader - of whom they are mortally afraid. Shortly after they communicate this terror to another person the student disappears.
Anyone seeing an abnormally tall (normally described as well over 6' 6") and thin bald caucasian male wearing a suit or black clothing is advised to be wary; especially around universities and schools as it is possible he is responsible for some child abductions related to suspected cult activities.

Another clipping.
He's here, I think; or it's just too similar to be otherwise. I think a lot of things are missing from this article - maybe the police are covering things up - they have to be - no bodies, those poor children; I remember. I won't say! I've written here before, no wish to remember again. No, no.
They won't be found. Not whole, not now.
Avergaes suggest they'll show up in 3.4 years or so,
The trio is avoided. Nine and nine and nine, three of three threes. No Yggdrasil. No. No eternal earth binding, trapped?
Cannot leave, cannot die.
Likes it. No more threes, no more roots tying and bining the arms and legs into gordian knots. No, no.
perhaps as little as 3.3 years, it's a little hard to tell; especially with the apocryphal evidence dating back over the centuries and millennia.
And yet the dormant years - the Classical age of Greece doesn't seem to show any evidence of the Slender one. The most major outcropping of the last millennia was in the 1300s
Threes, so man threes, they're perfect. The number of perfection; he fears? But he takes the three-year old, the thirteen-year-olds, the thrity-year olds all years all ages everyone eveyrhitng, no three. Three safe? Three sided room, three entry points? NO entry points. But shadows. He can climb in shadows and mists and fade through.
The internet awoke him. Fools plumbing their depths of secret horrors. We all know him. As an infant, nine years old
nine nine nine, three and three and three. Cubing perfection.
I remember the tall thin man with the spider limbs and the faceless entity. Climbing through the blackness behind my eyes and grinning with his body.
Maybe this Slender One harks back to an ancient time and we awake him because we remember him. The Slender One sleeps.
Talk about Cthulu. Maybe Lovecraft dreamt of the Slender One, remember Nylarthotep. How peculiar.
So many things Lovecraft wrote of, now that I think about it, all somewhat akin to th Slender One. Thought: Lovecraft had an encounter with the Slender One and survived? It's entirely possible - check date and c.o.d. for possible links to commonalities in other 'survival' cases.
Enquiry: Yggdrasil. Three-welled tree.
somany threes, anti-perfection. Nithhogg sucks the dead, the Slender Man harvests to feed the dragon to riip the roots of the world to fell heaven and hell and earth and laugh and play in destruction and fear
It comes up rarely, but no chance is to be left. Perhaps the Slender One can be traced back to a definitive Northern European root. Investigate Asian and African occurences of the Slender One, attempt a timeline.
Yggdrasil again: Loki/child of Loki? Not Fenrir, doubtful Jormungandr? Not Hel. Hel's child? Hel's guardian?
Unnerving similarity to Jack SKellington; find transcripts re: Tim Burton and Nightmare. Links?
Urgent: find someone to carry on research. More researchers means more information.
Wish I could go out this week and do proper checking, interview some witnesses and friends of the disappeared myself - I have enough IDs for it - but that stupid cough. I need to make a doctor's appointment soon. Could be a lung infection.
But the one this side of the river, it's too foggy and I don't fancy traffic chances. Trees are unsettling now, never look at them, never look up. Is he there? But I must look.

Kallisti
2010-02-10, 03:40 PM
Roland is the Slender Man. He kills people as sacrifices to his dark Internet gods in exchange for his ability never to sleep.

KuReshtin
2010-02-10, 04:01 PM
Roland is the Slender Man. He kills people as sacrifices to his dark Internet gods in exchange for his ability never to sleep.

By the gods, You're right! All the clues lead to {the clues show nothing, citizen. Go about your business. Roland is NOT the Slender Man.}

chiasaur11
2010-02-10, 04:39 PM
Well, it might be good in that case to pass along a guide for this kind of thing. (Needless to say, it was found clutched in the hands of a man dead from terror with a look in his eyes indicating he had seen something to horrible to describe.)

A guide to the aspiring hunter of the nameless terrors that haunt the night:

In this day and age, man often pierces the veil separating the mundane from unimaginable terrors and the like, and, judging from the fact you're reading this, you, a friend, or a neighborhood eccentric has rent that boundary asunder. Bad luck, that. Still, with these tips, some solid planning, and a turn for the better, luckwise, you should be able to survive the current incident, and perhaps many more, before the rise of some dread city of forgotten gods destroys us all.

Step 1) Don't panic. Sure, it may seem like a good idea now, but consider the problems. The authorities will consider you a raving loon,your life will be ruined early, and, worse yet, you'll have no new emotional responses available when the terror comes in full horrific glory. And it will make keeping step two a good deal more difficult.

Step 2) Keep a journal. Let's face it. Even with the best advice available, there's a good chance you'll be horrifically devoured anyway. Might as well give the next fellow to try to solve the problem some advice. And if you, by some chance, survive, a periodical might purchase your reports for a tolerable sum of money. It worked for Robert E Howard. It worked for Howard Phillips Lovecraft. It can work for you.

Step 3) You have you're journal. You've refrained from breaking down and gibbering. All good. But if you don't know what the thing is plaguing the area, you have nowhere to go. Consult a general purpose tome of unspeakable evil for a general guide. Most reccomend a copy of the Necronomicon by the mad Abdul Alhazred, but this guide strongle encourages the purchase of an original Black Book edition (or, if you cannot find it, the Golden Gobline english edition, despite edits) of Nameless Cults by Von Juntz for a number a reasons.

Firstly, availability. Although the original German edition is quite uncommon, it is typically obtainable on the used book market with effort, and the English translations are reasonably common. The Necronomicon is quite rare, and even a seemingly legitimate copy may turn out to be the Necronomicon Ex Mortis, which would not ease one's difficulties in any manner.

Secondly, the more recent writing of the book ensures a more up to date depiction of the terrors from beyond most popular with the peoples of this modern age. Although not entirely up to date, it mentions fewer entirely extinct monstrosities and more modern nightmares only recently brought screaming into harsh daylight.

Thirdly, and most importantly, Nameless Cults is much less likely to leave the reader a raving lunatic, with a shocking 80% of surviving readers left capable of existance in polite society, and a further 8% capable of completing sentences without bursting into maniacal laughter. Compare that to the Necronomicon figures, and the advantage is clear.

Step 4) Personal on site research. Hazardous, but neccessary. Essentially, with the handy tips from Von Juntz, find out which cult, monster, or quasi demonic entity of pure hatred you are dealing with. Local native lore, urban legends, and witness accounts (if any individuals involved have survived) should make this matter open and shut. This step often involves a certain amount of tedium, but it's worth it to be properly prepared. One wouldn't want to bring silver bullets to a Zuvembie fight, as we all know.

Step 5) Contact the relevant authorities, if possible. While we all know the local constabulary, the military, and most civil authorities in general, would be so much chaff beneath the heels of the invaders from beyond our reality, there are a handful of organizations devoted to fighting occult forces. If possible, before you attempt a daring assault with the aid of a few choice companions, contact one such group. The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense, The Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, Task Force Valkyrie, or the Hellsing Organization may seem reluctant to investigate, but you do pay taxes for this sort of service. Don't be reluctant to firmly request assistance. And if the official channels fail, rumors have begun circulating regarding a New York based private firm with a remarkable success rate. It might be worth a call if your own resources are limited, despite containment incidents.

Step 6) Die valiantly combating the monster or survive narrowly while going insane. This matter, unfortunately, cannot be taught, but the writers here wish you the best of luck.

Drakevarg
2010-02-10, 07:08 PM
No, I'm just a rogue paladin with a good smiting arm and a high Spot check. :smalltongue: Incidentally, that's also how I know he's not neutral. :smallamused:

You didn't kill Slender Man. You killed your wuss-DM's Slender Man sock-puppet.

That, and when has Thor ever not been in a drunken stupor?

Moff Chumley
2010-02-10, 08:21 PM
Chiasour wins three internets for that post. Agreed? :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-10, 09:14 PM
Guys, I'm worried. I can't remember the last... half hour or so. All I know is that I was on MSN with my friends.

They say I said some pretty weird stuff, so I went and checked... and I found this, among others. I don't know what to do guys...

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/wtf.jpg

Raiki
2010-02-10, 09:27 PM

Agreed.

~R~

Serpentine
2010-02-10, 10:43 PM
I am a grown-ass man

I am a grown ass-manIn its own little way, xkcd has made my life that much more entertaining :smallsmile:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-10, 11:24 PM
In its own little way, xkcd has made my life that much more entertaining :smallsmile:

And Serp wins another batch of fresh-baked internets.

For science!

Serpentine
2010-02-11, 12:03 AM
Duly sig-noted, thanking ye kindly.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-11, 12:03 AM
And Serp wins another batch of fresh-baked internets.

For science!

No, see, Al Gore gives birth to internets. They're born, not baked. :smallsmile:

Amiel
2010-02-11, 08:46 AM
This is kinda the point. I think this thread went up just around the time that colds and flu viruses were flying around anyway.

Actually, no, it's the height of summer down here; I'll like to know where all the microbes have gone actually, must be taking a vacation over where all you folks are.

Also, this. Doom Repercussions Of Evil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0ZZF4O0K4)

Helanna
2010-02-11, 03:50 PM
Actually, no, it's the height of summer down here; I'll like to know where all the microbes have gone actually, must be taking a vacation over where all you folks are.

Clearly. There is now evidence that my cough is bronchitis. Because my week just wasn't perfect enough yet. No medicine will stop this freakin' cough, it's driving me crazy. And I keep falling asleep during classes no matter how much sleep I get at night. So if maybe if I just asked really nicely, all the microbes would return to their nice warm home . . .

Definitely. Now I'll always remember what to do when being stalked by some horrific entity that may or may not be intent on devouring my soul! :smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-11, 06:53 PM

Its just weird, 'cause I never get sick.
And someone already answered why there was the bit about Yggdrasil.

Crimmy
2010-02-12, 08:16 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this:

Look behind you, he's right there... the fog...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/Thecrimsonmage2/slender-man-t-back.png

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-13, 12:50 AM
You gave his skin color =O

Coplantor
2010-02-13, 12:53 AM
You gave his skin color =O

I like to believe that it is someone else's skin

Crimmy
2010-02-14, 01:49 PM
I like to believe that it is someone else's skin

Indeed...
Now, if you'll excuse me, but I have an appointment to have my body dissected, and my organs put in plastic bags.

Crimmy
2010-02-14, 02:58 PM
Okay, this one has gray skin...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/Thecrimsonmage2/slender-2-avvie.png

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/Thecrimsonmage2/slender-2-trans-bG.png

Coplantor
2010-02-14, 07:37 PM
And is even slender... er.

Rutskarn
2010-02-14, 09:30 PM
And is even slender... er.

VAAAGGHGHHHHAAAGGGHHH!

Sorry, that was just my first time seeing your new avatar.

I mean, Slender Man's creepy I guess, but damn.

Coplantor
2010-02-14, 09:36 PM
VAAAGGHGHHHHAAAGGGHHH!

Sorry, that was just my first time seeing your new avatar.

I mean, Slender Man's creepy I guess, but damn.

This coming from you means that my mission here is complete

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-14, 09:40 PM

The Slender Man is totally neutral. Those who disagree are idealistic paladins. :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-14, 09:56 PM
The Slender Man is totally neutral. Those who disagree are idealistic paladins. :smalltongue:

Or? I'm certainly not an idealistic paladin.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-02-14, 10:07 PM
This little myth reminds me of one we would tell the new kids in my old Scout troop. About a creature called the Wompus Kitty. Looked kind of like a cougar, but way bigger and meaner. We told them that it followed our troop to most campouts, and occasionally, members would go missing. Of course, they wouldn't believe us at first.

Then we get them.

We made an object that makes the sound of the Wompus Kitty. It's an empty coffee can with a hole in the bottom, and a rope threaded through that hole. You hold the can with the open end pointing up, get your hand wet, and pull on the rope.

That gets most of them.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-02-14, 10:22 PM
Waaaugh! I'm not afraid of the slender man at all, but the replies are reminding me to use my imagination and pretend to see horrific things out of the corners of my eyes. It also does not help that my ponytail is brushing against the backs of my arms every time I move my head.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-14, 10:44 PM
Or? I'm certainly not an idealistic paladin.

Yeah? Well. . . I. . .

Look! A distraction!

*flees*

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-16, 01:08 AM
But he totally pings on detect evil. :smalleek:

(Incidentally, just to give some context to what I've been on about in this thread: This was the first time I'd encountered the idea of the Slender Man, and it freaked the hell out of me. Gave me a rather bad nightmare, in fact. When I say I killed the Slender Man, I refer to how I deal with all my nightmares that I remember: I've long been able to have lucid dreams when I'm on the edge of wakefulness, and if a dream that transitions to lucidity happens to be a nightmare, I rapidly gain control of it, dream myself up whatever I need to defeat the object of terror, and then dream it so. I find it quite effective at dealing with things that freak me out; they rarely come back involuntarily after that, and when they do come to mind they no longer hold the power of fear.

Lucid dreaming is also loads of fun when it's not a nightmare that you find yourself in, because you can make it become whatever you want as long as you can imagine it. :smallbiggrin:)

Rutskarn
2010-02-16, 03:39 AM
This coming from you means that my mission here is complete

Just because I made a handful of grown men cry last year.

I had a few concept sketches, but I was actually a little afraid to render them. One made a passing cat vomit blood.

Incompleat
2010-02-16, 07:08 AM
Sure, let's discuss the moral standing of the eldritch abomination :smallamused:

As I see it, the answer depends on two issues:

- Does the Slender Man have a choice about what he/she/it/whatever pronoun is appropriate for unspeakable horrors does?

- Is Mr. Slimfast capable of recognizing human beings as independent, ěntelligent entities, and their pain as pain?

Unless we know the answer to these two question, we really cannot have an idea whether Lord Twiggy is evil or not, although his/her/its/AwE4543XXs actions are most definitely evil.

Lucid dreaming is also loads of fun when it's not a nightmare that you find yourself in, because you can make it become whatever you want as long as you can imagine it. )

I don't have lucid dreams that often, but nightmares trigger them to me too - whenever I start to get scared, I realize that I am in a dream and "seize control", so to speak.

Once, I forced the whole "The Shining" cast (plus some random zombie things, a yellow robot and a disembodied fish head who was just passing through) to dance the Macarena, all night long. They did not come back. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-16, 06:51 PM
Lucid dreaming is also loads of fun when it's not a nightmare that you find yourself in, because you can make it become whatever you want as long as you can imagine it. :smallbiggrin:)

Wouldn't lucid dreaming be great when you're having a nightmare, since you could interrupt it and change it and all that?

Oh, and for anybody that follows MarbleHornets but not the Twitter account (I don't blame you), J tweeted (or whatever the proper term here would be) about six hours ago that the next entry should be up some time tonight.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-16, 08:38 PM
Wouldn't lucid dreaming be great when you're having a nightmare, since you could interrupt it and change it and all that?
Erm... Yes. That's pretty much what I said. :smalltongue: Although I don't change it away from the nightmare so much as I change the nightmare so that it's winnable for me. Kind of like Kirk with the Kobayashi Maru. :smallamused:

Crimmy
2010-02-16, 08:43 PM

Oh, and for anybody that follows MarbleHornets but not the Twitter account (I don't blame you), J tweeted (or whatever the proper term here would be) about six hours ago that the next entry should be up some time tonight.

the next entry should be up some time tonight.

... entry should be up some time tonight.

... some time tonight.

...tonight.

Oh god...:smalleek:

Threeshades
2010-02-16, 08:48 PM
Tall? Weird, long arms? Face that's different to everyone? leaves people impaled?

Yeah I got it all figured out:
http://sasuke-zelda.galeon.com/wallpapers/Alucard.jpg

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-16, 08:49 PM
Erm... Yes. That's pretty much what I said. :smalltongue: Although I don't change it away from the nightmare so much as I change the nightmare so that it's winnable for me. Kind of like Kirk with the Kobayashi Maru. :smallamused:

Sorry. You said "when it's not a nightmare you find yourself in" so I thought you were saying lucid dreaming + nightmare = bad.

@crimmy (since all the quotes would disappear were I to quote you) Oh dear. :smalleek:

I'm already creeped out enough in the morning and at night. And now I won't be able to go to bed until I see the new entry.