PDA

View Full Version : E6 (PF) - Full HP?

Rixx
2010-02-04, 03:21 AM
I'm going to be running an E6 game in Pathfinder soon, and I was wondering about something...

Something common to levels 1 to 6 are combats that are over relatively quickly. To make combat last a little longer, I was thinking of giving all players (and monsters) maximum HP at every level, with Con bonuses counting for double.

What effect would this have on a level 1 to 6 game? I'd imagine battlefield altering / buff / debuff spells would become a lot more valuable, but would there be any other unforeseen consequences?

Satyr
2010-02-04, 03:32 AM
I probably wouldn't do this, mostly because it just makes combats longer, which is not the same as more interesting. Doubling the Constitution bonus is a nice idea, but I would keep the Hitdice as is, or replace them with a flat average. But then again, I like it when every hit in a combat has a meaning and an effect, and hitpoints feel more like injuries and less like ablative armour.

Rixx
2010-02-04, 03:36 AM
Such is true - E6 is supposed to be a bit more realistic in that regard at least.

BooNL
2010-02-04, 03:52 AM
Double CON is a nice feature, but it does make that stat the king of all others.
Don't expect anyone to run under 14 CON after that rule.

Still, a nice houserule, something to think about...

frogspawner
2010-02-04, 04:54 AM
Max HP at 1st level is a good one. But are you doing that already?

Rixx
2010-02-04, 05:06 AM
I was doing double-max at first level for PCs and important/named characters.

Kol Korran
2010-02-04, 08:09 AM
i'm with Satyr on this- i think it would just lengthen combat. what more, against creatures with big HD or con scores (undead, dragons, magical beasts) it might make them tougher.

in mostly weakens the direct damage dealing options, thus mostly nerfing noncasters considerably. part of what the E6 is about is also minimizing the gap between casters and non casters (i said "minimize", not "abolish"), so i would stay away from anything that increased that gap.

i'd instead invest in thinking of ways of making battles more interesting in other ways such as terrain, complications, and so on.

a CON boost will just increase the gap between the characters themselves (some can invest in CON, some can't)- clerics will be a tad nerfed, barbarians will be much empowered, monks even more underpowered

just my opinion
Kol.

paddyfool
2010-02-04, 08:15 AM
Yep, I wouldn't make this change. However, some DMs go for 3/4 hit die or 1/2 hit die rather than rolling for levels after the first, which might be very appropriate, because if a frontline character repeatedly rolls low when they level up it can really pose a problem.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-04, 10:16 AM
if your lookign for something to make combat a little longer and better.. may i sugest vitality system from UA.

I've found that it can extend combat a bit longer. crit buildsare realy the only issue... as they tend to take people down fast.

Satyr
2010-02-04, 11:55 AM
I would go for a compromise - full HD + Constitution Score at first level, slower gain on each following level (perhaps something like d6 =2 hp + Con, every dice step grants an additional HP - on sixth level, one big mean Barbarian (with Constitution 16) would have 28 Hitpoints at first level, and finally 68 on sixth level, while his puny wizard mate (Constitution 12... unlikely but for the purpose of the example) would have 18 HP at first level, and finally 33 on 6th. This increases the survivability of characters, especially on the lower level, it makes Constitution a bit more worthwhile, and it would reduce the coincidence factor.