PDA

View Full Version : How does Foresight work?

Redrat2k6
2010-02-04, 01:00 PM
I'm confused about the effects of this spell.

What exactly does "you receive instantaneous warnings of impending danger or harm to the subject of the spell" mean. Is the only benefit a +2 to ac and ref saves due to the ghostly voice telling me to jump behind the BSF?

Because the warning is instantaneous, does that mean I get an action right then? If so, what kind of action?

If all i get is a +2 insight bonus to ac and a save I really don't think a 9th level spell slot is worth it. However if this is like giving me immediate move actions for the next 170 min whenever a dragon tries to ninja drop kick me, I might consider preparing it.

lsfreak
2010-02-04, 01:03 PM
You are never surprised or flat-footed.
So yes, you can always take immediate actions, even when normally you couldn't. Still limited to one per round, but that doesn't matter when, as soon as any kind of combat starts, you Celerity -> Time Stop.

Melamoto
2010-02-04, 01:03 PM
It's main use is letting you know if you're in danger before you are. Have fun never being ambushed by anyone ever again. Add Celerity for fun times. Just make sure to pick up a Greater Rod of Extend and optimize caster level.

Glimbur
2010-02-04, 01:05 PM
You're also never flatfooted or surprised. This means that when the thirty goblin ninjas leap out of hiding and attack the party you also get to act in the surprise round. You can always use an immediate action. Some immediate actions, like the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils ability or Abrupt Jaunt ACF, are really useful.

I wouldn't take it as my first 9th level spell, but it's an important tool in the arsenal of the paranoid wizard.

Arakune
If you can, craft rods of persist spell if you DM allows.

Optimystik
"Immune to surprise and flat-footedness" is really the "oomph" of the spell. The other things you described are gravy.

It does not grant extra actions - it provides warnings that effectively heighten your reflexes. You don't get an extra actin whenever you roll a reflex save.

EDIT: The exception of course, is during the surprise round - where you get to act normally.

Redrat2k6
2010-02-04, 01:15 PM
So to summarize,

Because immediate actions cannot be performed while flat footed, Foresight is beneficial when one wants to use immediate actions because Foresight enables one to be immune to being flat footed or surprised.

So this is only truly useful when a wizard has immediate spells ready like celerity or has some neat class abilities that are immediate actions.

That sounds alright. I kinda wish a 9th level spell slot would just give me a free standard action a round though. We could call it Uber Haste 3.0.:smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-02-04, 01:21 PM
So this is only truly useful when a wizard has immediate spells ready like celerity or has some neat class abilities that are immediate actions.

Actually, if you are surprised (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/initiative.htm#surprise) then you can't even take standard actions. Foresight lets you do that.

That sounds alright. I kinda wish a 9th level spell slot would just give me a free standard action a round though. We could call it Uber Haste 3.0.:smallbiggrin:

There's one that gives you several. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timestop.htm)

Zom B
2010-02-04, 01:39 PM
It lets you search your library (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3109) for three cards and remove them from the game and then draw a card next upkeep. They were used sometimes in Browse/Digger decks.

Wait, wrong Foresight.

Eldariel
2010-02-04, 05:09 PM
It lets you search your library (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3109) for three cards and remove them from the game and then draw a card next upkeep. They were used sometimes in Browse/Digger decks.

Wait, wrong Foresight.

Also, it sucked. Except with Odyssey Wishes, it could act as a sort of a tutor. Though that doesn't work anymore and the question raises: Why do you waste time Foresighting said cards when you could just put the Wish-targets on your SB? Though I suppose a loop-deck like Dream Halls could theoretically make some use of it.

DaedalusMkV
2010-02-04, 05:22 PM
Most importantly of all, the spell includes an unwritten Immunity to Ninjas effect, which is rather useful. You see, knowing when you're going to be ambushed makes it virtually impossible to assassinate you, while never being Flatfooted means that Sudden Strike never, ever applies to you. You can combine it with intelligent placement of furniture to add Immunity to Rogues and Assassins too, just to make sure that no non-fullcaster ever has a chance at hurting you. It's no Time Stop or Genesis, but there's no doubt that Foresight is worth casting.

The Warlock version is especially awesome, since it provides telepathy with friendly targets and makes them immune to all of this as well. No surprise round for you! And just because you're invisible, etherial and have a +50 bonus to Hide doesn't mean you get to Sneak Attack, either... :smallbiggrin: Don't you love it when one spell nullifies several entire classes with an all-day duration?

Signmaker
2010-02-04, 05:24 PM
Most importantly of all, the spell includes an unwritten Immunity to Ninjas effect, which is rather useful. You see, knowing when you're going to be ambushed makes it virtually impossible to assassinate you, while never being Flatfooted means that Sudden Strike never, ever applies to you

Denied Dexterity != Flatfooted