PDA

View Full Version : Swiftblade Kobold

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-04, 02:16 PM
While musing over gishes, It ocurred to me this build.
I now that there is some cheese but compared to other things I have seen this is pretty tame and maybe even reasonable.

Loredrake Desert Dragonwrought Kobold

Stalwart Sorcerer (CMag) 6/Swiftblade(Web) 10/Abjurant Champion(CMag) 4

You chose a flail as your weapon for stalwart sorcerer and then increse it damage using greater mighty wallop,

Feats
1Dragonwrought
3 Dodge
6 Mobility
9 Greater Rite of Draconic Passage
12 Power Attack
15 Arcane Strike
18 Open

The Loredrake and GRoDP is to offset the CL from swiftblade?

Useful? cheesey? complete failure?

Glimbur
2010-02-04, 05:09 PM
Especially given how many levels of PrC's you're taking, I wouldn't want to take Stalwart Sorcerer over regular sorc. That might make entering Swiftblade harder, but spells known and spells/day are what you live for. HP and BAB are secondary.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-04, 05:13 PM
I know that spells are my bread and butter but the thing is if I don't take stalwart sorcerer Ihave to burn a feat on martial weapon proficiency, delaying entry into both Swiftblade and abjurant champion.

Though I guess I could use the weapon familiarity from the web enchancement

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-05, 12:10 AM
Don't take Stalwart Sorcerer. Spells Known are too rare to do that to. You're a Kobold, use the Weapon Familiarity. And then wield a club or something.

Ernir
2010-02-05, 05:30 AM
Yes, another -1 for Stalwart Sorcerer...

Since you are Dragonwrought, taking Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike (Draconomicon) for a pretty natural attack routine is something you might consider as an alternative to the Mighty Wallo' route.

Also, Practised Spellcaster (Complete Arcane). Greater Draconic Rite of Passage is useful as damage control for the spell progression loss, but you're still quite a few CLs behind.

KellKheraptis
2010-02-05, 06:04 AM
Yes, another -1 for Stalwart Sorcerer...

Since you are Dragonwrought, taking Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike (Draconomicon) for a pretty natural attack routine is something you might consider as an alternative to the Mighty Wallo' route.

Also, Practised Spellcaster (Complete Arcane). Greater Draconic Rite of Passage is useful as damage control for the spell progression loss, but you're still quite a few CLs behind.

Actually with Greater Draconic Rite of Passage and Loredrake, he's 19/20 for 9th level spells known. If he'd bought off White Dragonspawn, he'd be 20/20. And IIRC aren't kobolds proficient with some sort of pick naturally that is a martial weapon? Also, if you're going to waste a feat on a weapon...either Tigerskull Club for crit happy damage spikes or a spiked chain. Both can get the nastiness that is Greater Mighty Wallop, and both are good at tripping (did we remember to snag Heroics?) :D

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-02-05, 06:05 AM
You could go Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) 4 into Swiftblade with Loredrake. Your spells known and spells/day may suffer, but you'd get into the class two levels earlier and only lose one point of BAB in your build. The Battle Sorcerer spellcasting is still good enough, and it turns out to be a much better combatant until the very late levels when you'd want to know more of the higher level spells.

KellKheraptis
2010-02-05, 06:09 AM
You could go Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) 4 into Swiftblade with Loredrake. Your spells known and spells/day may suffer, but you'd get into the class two levels earlier and only lose one point of BAB in your build. The Battle Sorcerer spellcasting is still good enough, and it turns out to be a much better combatant until the very late levels when you'd want to know more of the higher level spells.

Here's one for the record books, and almost identical to my Wizard version :

Sorcerer 4/Spelldancer 2/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4

Why Spelldancer? You're already picking up most of its prerequisites, and Spelldance makes Persist tech nice and easy for you. Versatile Spellcaster lets you sneak in at 5th level. Remember all those buffs Skitter would throw up? How'd you like the first set to last all day, and only ever worry about them if someone managed to hit you with GDM?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-05, 08:46 AM
So stalwart is out....ok, I stayed away from battle sorecer because I had to choose a one-handed martial weapon....maybe I'll go with light flail instead..and my BAB wouldn't suffer too much.

@ KellKheraptis: Spell dancer sounds intriguing were might I find it, oh and I don't want to try my luck asking for white dragonspawn, I am not really sure if Loredrake will fly (though since this is for an Eberron game it might fly)

Nate the Snake
2010-02-05, 03:26 PM
I don't want to try my luck asking for white dragonspawn, I am not really sure if Loredrake will fly (though since this is for an Eberron game it might fly)

I'll try your luck for you. :smalltongue: Dragonspawn is from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Also, there is some debate over whether it works with Dragonwrought (inherited Dragon type vs. acquired template for humanoids).

Loredrake really shouldn't fly, Eberron or not. Sovereign archetypes were not intended to be applied to non-true dragons.

EDIT: Dwarf ITP. :smallcool:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-05, 07:57 PM
Well to try to make more fair and likelier to get the loredrake I was thinking on proposiong my DM to treat it as a feat with somedrawbacks, my first thougt was to reduce all my HD by one step (like it does to true dragons) and applying the reduction retroactively so for example If I took the "feat" at level 6 when I have 5 levels of sorcerer and 1 of swiftblade my HD would look like 5 d3 and 1d4, have some roleplaying penalty maybe concerning the chamber.

hmm just a thought

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-06, 09:44 AM
Bump and weird Gestalting idea.

I am a big fan of playing gestalt character so in most ocassion I make an alternative gestalt build.

For this kobold I thought that maybe gestalting it like this would probably be better

Sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4//Fighter 2/Duskblade x

This build using the Loredrake and GRoDP get my full BAB Sor casting 19/20
But here I got a problem If I take Duskblade to 13 (for full attack chaneling) I get somewhat MAD with Int being the secondary casting stat. but If I take it only to 3 I can get arcane channeling pseudo dump Int and take another base class with interesting capabilities.

So how would it fare?

term1nally s1ck
2010-02-06, 11:23 AM
A) Can you not use flaws to take the rite earlier?

B) You qualify for Swiftblade way earlier with this build, cos of Loredrake.

Sorc//Fighter
Sorc//Dip1
Sorc//Fighter
Sorc//Dip2
Class2//Spellsword
Sorc//Swiftblade
Class2x2//Swiftblade2
Sorc//Swiftblade
Class2x2//Swiftblade2
Sorc//Swiftblade
Class2x2//Swiftblade2
Sorc//Swiftblade
Class2x5//Abj Champ5

Class 2 can be anything you want to take for 12 levels, and you get 2 dips early on. (I'd go with Cloistered Cleric 1, and swap your knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion, and Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian1)

EDIT: Full BAB, Full sorc casting, with the draconic tricks as a bonus, and if you take say Factotum as your Class2, you get a LOT of bonuses, and can keep Knowledge Devotion up with ease.

Pluto
2010-02-06, 03:27 PM
This is a pretty standard Swiftblade build. If you can get the kobold shenanigans into a game, you should be fine.

A couple nitpicks though:

I'd take Expeditious Dodge from Races of the Wild every time on a Swiftblade. It's less fiddly and overall better than normal Dodge. Especially for mobile characters.

You're missing Combat Casting for Abjurant Champion.

Mobility is a cheap armor enhancement from MIC. Getting it that way might free up a feat slot.

I am a big fan of playing gestalt character so in most ocassion I make an alternative gestalt build.

First, Gestalt isn't really meant to be an option you can throw on any character in a normal game. It's only designed for explicitly gestalt games.
You probably know this, but this seems to come up too often to be sure.

Second, yours is a strange approach to gestalting a Swiftblade.

If you're using Gestalt rules, why not make the most of them?

You can keep full Sorcerer casting if you do something like this:

Sorcerer-progression 14/Whatever 6
//
Whatever 10/Swiftblade 10

But overall, it's looking good.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-06, 03:31 PM
This is not for a game, It is that I enjoy making random builds when an Idea struck me, but I try to do them within the houserules of my normal Gaming group chances are that I can actually use that build.

Though thanks for the advice

KellKheraptis
2010-02-06, 04:16 PM
Spelldancer is in Magic of Faerun, FYI, but is setting neutral for the most part.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-06, 04:35 PM
Loredrake really shouldn't fly, Eberron or not. Sovereign archetypes were not intended to be applied to non-true dragons.

EDIT: Dwarf ITP. :smallcool:

It's debatable on whether a Dragonwrought Kobold is a True Dragon, but I doubt anyone wants to start that argument again.