PDA

View Full Version : Silver Flame Pyromancer

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-04, 09:33 PM
I was looking across this class and the sweet puffy shirt caught my eye... And the class looks pretty nice, too, what do you guys think? Granted it is a little late entry, but If you're mostly casting fire spells with it anyways, you use your total character level, rather than your effective caster level.

AslanCross
2010-02-05, 02:52 AM
Caster level loss always hurts, but I've played as one.

The SFP is primarily a blaster, which people will turn their noses up at---of course, its important advantage is that it can eventually bypass resistance and immunities.
He does well as a buffer too because he gets paladin spells. Throw in Spell Compendium and you can get some pretty serious spell support.

SFP is a great choice if you want to be a lower-cheese metamagic blaster. I want to play as one again.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-05, 01:23 PM
Okay, so, should I go sorcerer or wizard? I'm leaning sorcerer. Simply because I'm mostly taking fire spells, anyways so I don't really neat a LOT of different spells, and as a blaster, more per day would help.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 01:24 PM
Eat my righteous fire, fiends of the abyss!

... oh fudgesicles.

AstralFire
2010-02-05, 01:29 PM
Eat my righteous fire, fiends of the abyss!

... oh fudgesicles.

Doesn't it ignore immunities and resistances?

And Sorcerer, because Charisma is more thematically appropriate.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 01:31 PM
Does it? I know Searing Spell allows you to ignore resistance and etc...

faceroll
2010-02-05, 01:41 PM
What book is it from? Google isn't helping me.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-05, 01:59 PM
The SFP is primarily a blaster, which people will turn their noses up at---of course, its important advantage is that it can eventually bypass resistance and immunities.
He does well as a buffer too because he gets paladin spells. Throw in Spell Compendium and you can get some pretty serious spell support.

Access to paladin spells also qualifies him for the Battle Blessing feat, so he can buff with his swift actions and blast with his standards.

Does it? I know Searing Spell allows you to ignore resistance and etc...

It does indeed; its Sacred Flame ability (half of fire damage is divine damage at 2nd, all of it at 5th) is one of the major reasons to take the class.

What book is it from? Google isn't helping me.

The SFP is in Five Nations, an Eberron book; Searing Spell is Sandstorm.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-05, 01:59 PM

Searing spell does 1/2 damage to a fire immune creature and itnores any and all Fire resistance.

BTW, Sandstorm has the feat.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 02:02 PM

Ohmygod, it's AstralFire!

faceroll
2010-02-05, 02:06 PM
The capstone ability makes it so you can't use your smite ability. You have to deal fire damage to use most of the class's features, unfortunately. Searing Spell means you can hurt demons, but I don't think it's going to add a whole lot of damage to hurting devils.

AstralFire
2010-02-05, 02:09 PM
Why is everyone stuck on Searing Spell? Not a word was said about it by the OP. The class itself grants a superior version of it.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-05, 02:13 PM
Because it's Hot. Yes, I went there.

But I was just helping another post: they weren't sure so I supplied the info.

AstralFire
2010-02-05, 02:14 PM
No, that wasn't what I asked at all. :P

But thank you for the attempt.

faceroll
2010-02-05, 02:19 PM
Why is everyone stuck on Searing Spell? Not a word was said about it by the OP. The class itself grants a superior version of it.

Because it's a caster prestige class that focuses on fire spells and hurting evil creatures, a great deal of which are either immune or resist to fire damage. The capstone of the class, which lets you remove the fire damage from fire spells, also prevents you from using two other class abilities. For instance, you can't smite a devil with holy flame. You could smite him with a mixture of holy flame and regular flame, but then he'd be immune to half that damage. You also lose a caster level.

Granted, you smiting spell does get +4 to bypass SR and has a blinding debuff. And getting access to all paladin spells is mega-awesome.

Compare that to a single feat that let's you automatically bypass resistance and deal half damage to those with immunity. It costs you no caster level, and you are free to pursue other prestige classes.

AstralFire
2010-02-05, 02:28 PM
You could... I don't know... get both? :P

faceroll
2010-02-05, 02:46 PM
You could... I don't know... get both? :P

Oh hey, it looks like someone mentioned the implications of doing that.

The capstone ability makes it so you can't use your smite ability. You have to deal fire damage to use most of the class's features, unfortunately. Searing Spell means you can hurt demons, but I don't think it's going to add a whole lot of damage to hurting devils.

And then I got scolded....

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-05, 02:57 PM
There's an additional feat in Complete Mage that makes 10 damage from your spell completely untyped. Stack that with Searing Spell, then throw in the SFP's ability.

Nate the Snake
2010-02-05, 03:04 PM

True, but sorcerer doesn't benefit as much from having access to the paladin spell list. Then there's the lost caster level, which hurts sorcerers more than wizards.

Speaking of lost caster levels, take a level of Sacred Exorcist (also thematically appropriate) for turn undead so you don't lose another caster level with a cleric dip.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-05, 03:56 PM
Also, the first ability means that you use your CHARACTER level for your Caster level when casting spells with the fire descriptor. So if you're learning fire spells as a sorcerer anyways, you aren't loosing too much, and you still have access to a 9th level spell.

Nate the Snake
2010-02-05, 06:01 PM
You still have to spend spells known on the paladin spells. Although that's more a problem of the sorcerer class than the Silver Flame Pyromancer.

On the bright side, it also gives new meaning to the name "Sorcadin." :smallamused: