PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Injuries in the Playground

Temotei
2010-02-05, 01:59 AM
I just paper-cut myself on the nose by rubbing my nose against my notebook. I'm sleepy, so I attribute part of it to that.

What stupid injuries have you gotten? What physical harm has come of you from your own dumb action?

:smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2010-02-05, 02:03 AM
Cut off part of my middle finger due to a folding chair accident. Although it wasn't entirely my fault.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 02:16 AM
Cut off part of my middle finger due to a folding chair accident. Although it wasn't entirely my fault.

Oof. That stinks. My friend had a similar accident with his bike. When the chain came off, he tried putting it back on while moving. :smallsigh: :smallamused:

Icewalker
2010-02-05, 02:27 AM
Burnt my finger earlier this week at my blacksmithing class. Touched the tongs near the end which go in and out of the incredible heat once every couple minutes. So not enough to heat up the metal impressively, but enough to leave it hot enough for a slight burn. Luckily I only touched it for a moment.

reorith
2010-02-05, 02:30 AM
when i was in eight grade, i let a girl carve her name in my shoulder. worst part is, i can't see if the scar is still there.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 02:30 AM
Burnt my finger earlier this week at my blacksmithing class. Touched the tongs near the end which go in and out of the incredible heat once every couple minutes. So not enough to heat up the metal impressively, but enough to leave it hot enough for a slight burn. Luckily I only touched it for a moment.

I had an injury similar to that. I burned my finger on a hot pan when I moved by it on the inside of my ring finger. A benign tumor grew there. It's gone now--we had it cut off. :smallamused:

Carve? With what? A knife? :smalleek:

reorith
2010-02-05, 02:33 AM
x-acto knife in tech ed.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 02:37 AM
x-acto knife in tech ed.

Huh. :smalleek:

Nice one. I can't imagine what you were thinking while this was going on.

reorith
2010-02-05, 02:41 AM
Huh. :smalleek:

Nice one. I can't imagine what you were thinking while this was going on.

this was the same girl i impressed by stapling stuff to my arms + chest. the best part is, she was one of those nice quiet girls, the kind you'd never suspect of vandalizing another human being. freshmen year, i took her to homecoming.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 02:48 AM
this was the same girl i impressed by stapling stuff to my arms + chest. the best part is, she was one of those nice quiet girls, the kind you'd never suspect of vandalizing another human being. freshmen year, i took her to homecoming.

Huh. We aren't all imbued with high Wisdom in early years, eh? :smallamused:

Weiser_Cain
2010-02-05, 03:48 AM
I wrecked my wrist making a butt with my computer.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-05, 03:58 AM
I once was being careless with my drill and ended up drilling a little bit into my thigh. I later did the same thing except it was with my other thigh in the exact same spot so I be symmetrical again.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-02-05, 03:59 AM
I've done plenty. Most recently...last weekend, I carved a small chunk of my thumb out while trying to fix a jammed boxcutter.

...mind, I DID fix it during that process. :smallamused:

...perhaps the boxcutter gods demand blood sacrifice?

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-02-05, 04:45 AM
I have a deep scar on my index finger from playing with a utility knife when I was younger. I also burnt my fingers pretty good in metals class last year. My cousin had been oxy-fuel welding, and when I went to use the station there was a piece of metal sitting on it. Unbeknownst to me, he had been using it to prop up the pieces of metal he welded together while he was welding them. I moved it, barehanded, and I'm sure you can imagine how well that went. It's weird how you can't feel extreme heat very quickly.

RandomNPC
2010-02-05, 04:50 AM
I've got a scar on the outside of my hand, between thumb and wrist, doctors said it goes right between a nerve and a vein, hitting either one would have made it hard to use my left thumb.

ya know how cardboards got that wavy inside layer? i was cutting open a case of produce wrapped in stuf like that, only hard plastic. To this day I don't know if they tossed the produce or even checked to see if I splashed blood on it, I was taken straight off to get stitches and my boss was the kind of person who just doesn't care.

Yrcrazypa
2010-02-05, 05:36 AM
I was splitting pieces of wood with an axe to use as kindling when one of the pieces was just a bit too small to easily split. As I missed the piece of kindling, the axe came down and took a small chunk of my thumb off. Luckily my reflexes were quick enough that I didn't lose it.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-05, 05:44 AM
I've done plenty. Most recently...last weekend, I carved a small chunk of my thumb out while trying to fix a jammed boxcutter.

...mind, I DID fix it during that process. :smallamused:

...perhaps the boxcutter gods demand blood sacrifice?
Yes, yes they do.

Thiel
2010-02-05, 06:22 AM
I have a nice second degree burn on my thigh. I got it because I dropped a hot arc-welder electrode on it.

Kiyona
2010-02-05, 06:34 AM
I lost part of my left indexfinger due to a cooking-while-hungover accident. Not recommended. :smallcool:

Zaggab
2010-02-05, 07:21 AM
Personally, I have managed to avoid stupid injuries (well, there was that time when I was 2 centimeters away from losing an eye in archery practise, but that doesn't count).

Some of my friends however, have managed some fairly stupid things.

1) Friend A is melting sugar (to make a gingerbread house, if I remember correctly). When it was melted, he wondered if it was hot enough, since it didn't boil or anything. So he dipped his finger in the molten sugar. If memory serves, sugar has a melting point of about 140 C. Turns it WAS hot enough.

2) Friend B and Friend X finds out that if you smack a nail-gun cartridige with a sledgehammer, it explodes. So they go get some cartridges, a plank and a sledgehammer and starts blowing up cartridges. One explosion sends shrapnel flying everywhere, and Friends B gets hit in his ear by a large piece of shrapnel. Later, at the hospital, they discover that it is quite firmly lodged in the cartilage of the ear, and that it is quite difficult to remove. Eventually, they get it out, and the scar isn't that big.

3) A few days after christmas, we find sparklers at bargain prices. So we buy a bunch of boxes and start playing with them. Then friend B gets a brilliant idea: light the last couple of boxes AT THE SAME TIME! (kind of like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ik9WwCcA4), but more). He holds them all in his hands, when he discovers that that many sparklers get really hot, so he tosses them away. One of them, however, finds it way into his shoe, where it sticks and burns him quite badly before it can be removed. The interesting thing is that his shoe was completely unharmed, but his sock and foot were very badly burned.

Killer Angel
2010-02-05, 07:40 AM
worst part is, i can't see if the scar is still there.

I suppose this is not an insurmountable obstacle... :smallwink:

IsaacTheHungry
2010-02-05, 11:07 AM
x-acto knife in tech ed.

Was it in class when this happened? :smalleek:

Thufir
2010-02-05, 11:14 AM
Nothing too bad for me... in year 9 technology I attacked my friend with a piece of spaghetti while he was holding a stanley knife. Very neat, clean cut on my finger.
By standing too close to the cooker, I set my shirt on fire. Small burn.
More recently, I managed to cut my finger while peeling an onion. Hadn't even got as far as cutting it up yet.

fryplink
2010-02-07, 02:55 PM
I broke my foot on sand, i was running on the beach and twisted it funny breaking my foot

Lycan 01
2010-02-07, 03:12 PM
I stuck my foot in a candle.

What?

It was cold, I didn't have socks, and I had my legs slung over the arm-rest of the sofa I was watching tv from. I accidentally lowered my foot over a lit candle, and realized the tingling warm sensation on the sole of my foot. It wasn't close enough to burn me, and it felt nice considering it was like... 50 degrees in the house. So I sat there watching tv for about half an hour letting a lit candle keep my feet from getting frostbitten. Sad, isn't it?

The next day, when I tried this again, I accidentally lowered my foot a bit too far. Needless to say, having an open flame lick the sole of your foot isn't a nice feeling. Especially since the sole of your foot isn't very sensative, and it took me a moment to realize my foot was cooking. :smalleek:

Luckily, I was about to walk again after about an hour. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-02-07, 03:41 PM
I sliced off a little bit of my finger working with an xacto knife. That's sbout it, luckily.

Morty
2010-02-07, 03:46 PM
When I was a small kid, I put my finger into a working linen press. I still have a scar on that finger.

Temotei
2010-02-07, 03:51 PM
I answered the phone for Mum once. I ran upstairs to give it to her, slipped on the water that spilled from the dogs' water dish-thing (I have no idea what to call it...), and fell into a wall corner.

My thumb has a scar from getting gouged to the muscle. I went to a movie that night anyway. :smallcool:

Of course, I was bleeding everywhere. I covered my thumb in about four paper towels and three bandages, and it soaked through in about five minutes. Pretty epic. :smallbiggrin:

It looks like that scar on Harry Potter's head, but on my thumb.

Trog
2010-02-07, 03:59 PM
I have a scar on my left hip from pole vaulting with an easel. :smalltongue:

Durp
2010-02-07, 04:03 PM
A girl slipped a firecracker into my back pocket once. The yell resulting from that woke up the entire county. That girl and I are now dating. ...>.>

Pyrian
2010-02-07, 04:09 PM
...So...many...jokes... :smalleek:

Lioness
2010-02-07, 04:10 PM
Reading this makes me nauseous.

Worst I've done was run into a pointy door handle, which resulted in some broken skin and a bruise on my arm muscle.

Nothing major really. I fell over once and have a scar on my palm because of it, but that wasn't through my own carelessness.

Temotei
2010-02-07, 04:16 PM
...So...many...jokes... :smalleek:

I invite them. :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2010-02-07, 04:18 PM
I almost knocked myself out in school once.
Just before class started, I was standing outside the classrom chatting to someone, and the classroom door had swung open behind me, so when I turned around and was heading in, I hit the edge of the door, face first.
Sported a pretty decent black eye from that for a day or two afterwards.

BizzaroStormy
2010-02-07, 04:20 PM
I had ordered some chinese food and noticed they didn't put any chosticks in the bag. I was a little miffed at not having chopsticks but I went the the kitchen for silverware. Well since I never bought self-cleaning flatware, all of it was dirty and my slobberly self wasn't about to clean it any time soon. so I went back to my room, intent on drinking my chow mein from the carton then I saw my small crossbow sitting on top of the fridge. My innovative mind caused me to grab a pair of bolts and use them as chopsticks. That didn't work so well so I started just spearing pieces of food. First, I was distracted and jabbed myself in the lip wit the bolt. That hurt. Later I had reached the bottom of the box and though it was just an unusually tough piece of vegetable, so I stabbed fairly hard through the box and into my thigh, just missing my crotch.

cycoris
2010-02-07, 04:25 PM
Hmm...

I currently have burns on my thigh and foot due to not remembering the difference between glass and ceramic. Long story, don't ask.

I also have a long scrape/bruise down my back because a couple mornings ago I forgot that I sleep on the bottom bunk. In the same vein, I have a number of bumps on my head because I can't sit up fully on my bed without hitting my head.

And I've dislocated a kneecap (ouch) through a combination of handstands, little brothers, and tickles.

Raiki
2010-02-07, 04:50 PM
I have a thumb that clicks when I move it. Turns out you can't just hand a 4 year old a bowling ball and expect him to know to let go when he tries to throw it down the lane.

Also, I have a large scar on my right knee. When I was 3 or 4 (I was apparently very accident prone as a kid) I was camping with family. The story varies based on who tells it, but I somehow fell and landed knee first on a metal tent stake, cutting my knee almost in half. I came very close to losing my leg. :smalleek:

~R~

CDR_Doom
2010-02-07, 04:53 PM
I electrocuted myself once. We had an electrical outlet attatched to a tent/canopy thing outside like an outdoor dining room. When we get a hurricane coming, we have to take it all down though, which means disassembling the outlet box. I turned off the breaker for outside to kill the power, but there are two different breakers for different sides of the house and I hit the wrong one. The rain was about to start so I was in a hurry and I didn't check the outlet, and when metal screwdriver meets metal socket casing electrocution and arcing blue lightning ensue.

Dogmantra
2010-02-07, 05:01 PM
I have a scar just above my right eye from running to get an ice lolly at a friend's 5th birthday party. The reason this is stupid is:
1. I thought running was a silly idea, I did it because everyone else was.
2. I never did get that ice lolly, since I had to go to A&E.

I also managed to knock my own tooth out playing rugby. Sort of. I tackled someone, but had misunderstood the idea of the exercise that we were doing and thought the idea wasn't really to tackle someone, but sort of grab them around the chest. I have no idea why I thought this, but my chin slammed into their shoulder, my mouth was open and my tooth flew straight out.

Shades of Gray
2010-02-07, 05:07 PM
I got a paper-cut on my pinky toe from when I was reading in bed. When I got up my foot ran along the edge of the book, resulting in the weirdest location for a paper cut ever.

Raiki
2010-02-07, 05:08 PM
I have a scar just above my right eye from running to get an ice lolly at a friend's 5th birthday party. The reason this is stupid is:
1. I thought running was a silly idea, I did it because everyone else was.
2. I never did get that ice lolly, since I had to go to A&E.

Hey! That's totally almost how I cut my knee! (according to some). Only A) It was a juice box. and B) I did get it in the end...they gave it to me to make me stop crying on the way to the ER.

~R~

blackfox
2010-02-07, 06:17 PM
I've got loads of these stories. The best one being how I managed to break my foot... while sleeping...

KuReshtin
2010-02-07, 07:01 PM
I've got loads of these stories. The best one being how I managed to break my foot... while sleeping...

Do tell. Please!

CTLC
2010-02-07, 07:04 PM
NO, you do not get to say this and not tell us the story! :smalltongue:

please [im not asking] tell us!

Solaris
2010-02-07, 09:18 PM

I managed to set myself, my clothing, or my glove ("Flame-retardant my ass" as I show the teacher the flaming leather glove) on fire at least once a day for a semester while working on the forge. I don't know if that makes me more stupid or more stubborn.

Had a guy in training lose a hand because he was dumb enough to try catching an artillery shell as it fell off the back of a truck. Here's a hint: Don't do that. They weigh about a hundred pounds apiece.

Had another guy dumb enough to stick his finger in the breech while a .50-cal bolt was to the rear. Nobody was holding it. Now they stress holding the bolt to the rear while manually clearing a weapon.

As for my own? It's a bad habit to bite your lip when you're in a fight. The other guy will punch it, and then wonder why you don't seem to care that so much blood is coming out. (Seriously, he stopped the fight and said "Dude, that can't be healthy," to which I tried to reply "RARGH BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" but it came out more "GURGLEGARBLEGARBLE")

Lycan 01
2010-02-07, 11:15 PM
Had a guy in training lose a hand because he was dumb enough to try catching an artillery shell as it fell off the back of a truck. Here's a hint: Don't do that. They weigh about a hundred pounds apiece.

What happened? Did it crush it to pulp? :smallconfused:

As for my own? It's a bad habit to bite your lip when you're in a fight. The other guy will punch it, and then wonder why you don't seem to care that so much blood is coming out. (Seriously, he stopped the fight and said "Dude, that can't be healthy," to which I tried to reply "RARGH BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" but it came out more "GURGLEGARBLEGARBLE")

I'm sorry, but even as a 40K fan, if I was fighting a guy and he screamed that while bleeding profusely from the mouth, I'd probably not only stop the fight, but start running. :smalleek:

Temotei
2010-02-08, 12:02 AM
I managed to set myself, my clothing, or my glove ("Flame-retardant my ass" as I show the teacher the flaming leather glove) on fire at least once a day for a semester while working on the forge. I don't know if that makes me more stupid or more stubborn.

Had another guy dumb enough to stick his finger in the breech while a .50-cal bolt was to the rear. Nobody was holding it. Now they stress holding the bolt to the rear while manually clearing a weapon.

I continue to love your posts. :smallcool: Especially that last part.

Zexion
2010-02-08, 12:18 AM
Well, a friend of mine once slipped on the floor, crashed into a wall, bounced off and fell into the swimming pool, and got "run over" by one of those big inflatable boat things. Me and my friends were laughing, I can tell you that.

hap_hazard
2010-02-08, 04:56 AM
Was using super glue with some weird cloth. There was this SIZZLESIZZLESMOKE and the cloth hotglued itself to my finger.

Moofaa
2010-02-08, 05:05 AM
I was opening a can of dog food in the dark and while half asleep. Somehow the lid sliced beneath my pinky nail and I didnt notice until I got inside how bad it was cut. Went to the ER where I discovered I have a resistance to that numbing stuff they give you and had stitches put in. They gave me several injections in my finger until stuff was squirting beneath the skin and up into my hand (kinds like a bubble or pack of some sort of gel). Still barely numbed it. They did the stitches (kinda wierd, they stitched through the nail and around the bone). Cause of where the cut was theres no noticeable scar either.

I hope they don't use the same stuff if I have to have a major surgery or I am in trouble.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-08, 05:25 AM
Scout camp many a year ago. Torch ran out of batteries so I and a friend figured what's the harm in using candles. He however had the good sense to use a circle of car to catch the dripping wax. By the end of the night when I peeled off my new waxy glove the were relatively bad burns across the entire top of my right hand. The worst part was that I'm left handed, so I still had to do the work in school the next week :smallannoyed:

A friend's 18th birthday party. Being recently 18 myself I of course got far too drunk. Someone I was with dropped their glass and it shattered. Being the helpful guy I am I began picking up the glass shards, and it took over a miute for someone to realise that (a not exactly small) one of them was suck into my palm. It was a very cartoon moment because until I noticed it it hadn't hurt, then began to hurt like hell.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-02-08, 05:34 AM
I had a knife that had a little piece of decoration that I didn't like on the blade next to the cross-piece. So I decided to remove this bit of decoration since it was kinda loose anyway. I decided prying it off was the easiest way and grabbed..... another knife...... and got to work. Just as the little thingy came loose I ended up slashing each hand with the knife in the opposite hand. Just minor nicks, but if the angle had been a bit different.......

Nameless
2010-02-08, 05:39 AM
I jumped off a cliff because I was pretending to be Superman.
It was a very painful experience, however I did learn not to jump off high places.

Ikialev
2010-02-08, 06:51 AM
I broke my jaw once, when I was jumping on the minigolf field in rain.

Ellas Aramond
2010-02-08, 03:44 PM
Lets see, the was the one time that I ran in wet socks over a recently waxed wooden floor to answer the phone. Then that other time I nicked my wrist with an X-acto knife while working on a Gundam model. (Man, that was a lot of blood.)

Water-Smurf
2010-02-08, 04:56 PM
I once jabbed my finger with an X-acto knife while making a collage for school. (Luckily, it was mostly just skinning. I didn't see any sign of blood until the morning afterwards.) And I got a paper cut on my lips after running them along my book (don't ask).

But my brother takes the cake. He was half-asleep after a rough practice and was using a giant cooking knife to cut off a piece of tape from his lacrosse stick. He cut his hand and ended up needing... six stitches, I believe.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-02-08, 05:04 PM
I once jabbed my finger with an X-acto knife while making a collage for school. (Luckily, it was mostly just skinning. I didn't see any sign of blood until the morning afterwards.) And I got a paper cut on my lips after running them along my book (don't ask).

But my brother takes the cake. He was half-asleep after a rough practice and was using a giant cooking knife to cut off a piece of tape from his lacrosse stick. He cut his hand and ended up needing... six stitches, I believe.

Lip papercuts appear distressingly common. That is not something I would ever have expected. O_o

Pyrian
2010-02-08, 05:18 PM
A lot of our members love books a little too much. :smallcool:

Dogmantra
2010-02-08, 05:21 PM

You are the reason Superman costumes have "Wearing this cape does not enable you to fly" written on them.

Phae Nymna
2010-02-08, 05:40 PM
One time in a cafe in Florida, I was stroking a butter knife against my lefthand index finger and I all of a sudden cut about 2mm deep into my fingertip.

That's right, I cut myself. By accident.

WITH A GOD DAMN BUTTERKNIFE.

Temotei
2010-02-08, 05:45 PM
It was a very painful experience, however I did learn not to jump off high places.

How tall was this cliff?

If it was really tall, you must have rolled all 1's for falling damage. Lucky guy. :smallamused:

Which reminds me of the time I broke my arm from falling off a swing. Actually, I jumped off the swing and missed our leaf pile (it was autumn). I live on a very steep hill, so you can imagine the fear. My body turned so I was falling headfirst. I decided it would be prudent to put my arm in the way. Landed on my arm--fine. My head hit my arm--broken. :smallbiggrin:

That hurt. :smallsigh:

blackfox
2010-02-08, 09:10 PM
Do tell. Please!

NO, you do not get to say this and not tell us the story! :smalltongue:Alright, alright, dammit, I'll tell the story. :smalltongue:

It was summer, and so I was sleeping pretty much without any sheets on top of me, and I was dreaming that I was really pissed off at someone and trying to kick them somewhere painful, and I had just moved my bed from against the wall to next to the window, and so when my actual leg kicked IRL, it made contact with the corner of the windowsill. I remember waking up, thinking 'oh frakk, I hurt myself again' and falling back asleep. Woke up the next morning and it was swollen and colorful and I couldn't put weight on it. Hooray for broken bones. That one brings the tally to 5.

Temotei
2010-02-08, 09:19 PM
Alright, alright, dammit, I'll tell the story. :smalltongue:

It was summer, and so I was sleeping pretty much without any sheets on top of me, and I was dreaming that I was really pissed off at someone and trying to kick them somewhere painful, and I had just moved my bed from against the wall to next to the window, and so when my actual leg kicked IRL, it made contact with the corner of the windowsill. I remember waking up, thinking 'oh frakk, I hurt myself again' and falling back asleep. Woke up the next morning and it was swollen and colorful and I couldn't put weight on it. Hooray for broken bones. That one brings the tally to 5.

Nice one. :smallcool:

B-Man
2010-02-08, 09:20 PM
When I was five, I walked right into a bookshelf without a second thought. Gouged my right eye and bruised it. The doctor literally said "How the Hell did you do that?!".

For Grade Eight graduation I sprained my right ankle trying to "break dance".

ForzaFiori
2010-02-08, 09:36 PM
I usually manage several of these a day. The more notable ones:

At the first house I lived in, apparently the stairs hated me, and in 7 years I fell down them at least 5 times, and hyperextended my pinky finger every time.

Cutting a box up with a pair of scissors, i managed to come straight through to box, and into my eyelid. Almost lost the eye, and my sister (who was "in charge") didn't believe me when I told her what had happened, so I had to wake my mom up and almost got in trouble for it.

I broke my nose during soccer once. It wouldn't be that bad, except that i broke it hitting my TEAMMATE. We both jumped for a header, and I missed the ball, but his his shoulder with my nose. Popped it back into place and finished the practice.

on the 5th of July one year, me and my best friend had 4 roman candles (those tubes that shoot out fireballs) left over from the 4th, and decided to shoot them at each other. When we asked my mom, she said we could cause she thought we were kidding. I wound up hitting him in the ear. It burned off all the hair around it.

At boy scouts a couple years ago, we took about a pint of white gas and tossed it on a fire. I lost most of the hair on the left side of my face. No burns though.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 09:41 PM
Discounting the countless burns on my hands from cooking, I have a crescent moon-shaped scar between my eyes from the strap-knob thing on my Guitar Hero controller.

I was playing GH1 and the "lift controler to use Star Power" thing wasn't working. So I started shaking the damned controller in frusteration. I wound up impaling my face on the knob. Now I have the scar as my Individual Idiot Tax.

Solaris
2010-02-08, 10:25 PM
What happened? Did it crush it to pulp? :smallconfused:

Pretty much. I heard they were able to save the thumb and most of the hand itself, but his fingers were done for.

I'm sorry, but even as a 40K fan, if I was fighting a guy and he screamed that while bleeding profusely from the mouth, I'd probably not only stop the fight, but start running. :smalleek:

:smallbiggrin:

One time in a cafe in Florida, I was stroking a butter knife against my lefthand index finger and I all of a sudden cut about 2mm deep into my fingertip.

That's right, I cut myself. By accident.

WITH A GOD DAMN BUTTERKNIFE.

... Huh.

At boy scouts a couple years ago, we took about a pint of white gas and tossed it on a fire. I lost most of the hair on the left side of my face. No burns though.

I once pointed out to my brother that the Boy Scout troop seemed united in one thing, and one thing only: An unnatural, unhealthy love of fire.
His reply of "It's not unnatural" did nothing to reassure me.

Raiki
2010-02-08, 10:38 PM
Discounting the countless burns on my hands from cooking, I have a crescent moon-shaped scar between my eyes from the strap-knob thing on my Guitar Hero controller.

I was playing GH1 and the "lift controler to use Star Power" thing wasn't working. So I started shaking the damned controller in frusteration. I wound up impaling my face on the knob. Now I have the scar as my Individual Idiot Tax.

That, sir, is awesome.

A) That's a damn cool scar. Harry Potter, eat your heart out.

B) That story could have been me during my sophmore year of college.

Now the million dollar question: Was it Bark at the Moon or Cheat on the Church?

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 10:42 PM
Frankenstein, actually.

Partof1
2010-02-08, 10:57 PM
At my friend's house, however many years ago: We were playing outside, then my dad came to take me home, and neither of us wanted me to go, so we decided to hide among pine trees. Eventually, I decided to go, and after explaining this, turned briskly around, and into a branch at eye level. Somehow, it managed to only graze my eye, or something, leaving my eyes red on one side for a week.

Many many years ago:
At a hill, often used for tobogganing, some older kids had made a snowboard jump. I thought it would be fun to take it on a sled. I hopped it, and came down hard, though perfectly. My tailbone was sore for a week.

A couple summers ago:
I was on monkey bars, trying to get up on top of them, where you swing partly upside dpwn, put your legs on top of the bar, and pull yourself up. I'd done this many times before, and several since, but that one time, my hands inexplicably fell off. I put them below me, to brace for impact, but I come down right on top of some logs, to help boost people up to the bars. My wrists were both equally and miserably sore. But it could have been worse, had I not brought up my hands, it would have been my skull or neck impacting.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 11:05 PM
Oh, another one that should've been obvious to point out:

You know that old phrase "it's all fun and games until someone puts out an eye?" BS. I got stabbed in the eye once, and as soon as the intense pain calmed down it was fun again. (Although admittedly I didn't LOSE the eye. Just got stabbed in it a bit.)

What happened was that me and my neighbor have been having sword fights since we could walk. We originally used plastic bats, but eventually graduated to sticks. (At one point I used a tree; another story altogther.)

Anyway, at no point during this did we use armor. However, in this particular instance we decided to experiment with shields. Since we didn't have shields, we opted to hold some sleds in front of us as a proxy. It worked pretty well until I dropped mine. In an incredible display of sheer stupidty, I ducked down to grab the shield. At the time, my friend was making a stab at my gut. The pointy end found itself in my eye. Fun.

Anywho, tears, ran home, had my dad (who is a nurse) take a look at it, determined that I'd be fine. Calmed down, went back and told my friend I'd live, and had a black eye as that event's Idiot Tax.

Temotei
2010-02-08, 11:07 PM
Frankenstein, actually.

Aww, man. You need star power for that song? :smalltongue:

Just kidding. I don't care. You were probably using it for the extra points.

Drakevarg
2010-02-08, 11:08 PM
Just kidding. I don't care. You were probably using it for the extra points.

You are correct. I've beaten the game on expert already; I was just playing for fun and the stupid star power wouldn't turn on.

Temotei
2010-02-09, 12:27 AM
Oh, another one that should've been obvious to point out:

You know that old phrase "it's all fun and games until someone puts out an eye?" BS. I got stabbed in the eye once, and as soon as the intense pain calmed down it was fun again. (Although admittedly I didn't LOSE the eye. Just got stabbed in it a bit.)

What happened was that me and my neighbor have been having sword fights since we could walk. We originally used plastic bats, but eventually graduated to sticks. (At one point I used a tree; another story altogther.)

Anyway, at no point during this did we use armor. However, in this particular instance we decided to experiment with shields. Since we didn't have shields, we opted to hold some sleds in front of us as a proxy. It worked pretty well until I dropped mine. In an incredible display of sheer stupidty, I ducked down to grab the shield. At the time, my friend was making a stab at my gut. The pointy end found itself in my eye. Fun.

Anywho, tears, ran home, had my dad (who is a nurse) take a look at it, determined that I'd be fine. Calmed down, went back and told my friend I'd live, and had a black eye as that event's Idiot Tax.

Hehe. I remember doing this once. I didn't get hurt too badly though. Just some bruises. I hurt my friends more than they hurt me when we spar.

Which reminds me of my friend's basement. We UFC-style fight down there with winter gloves on. Ah...I made his ribs sore for two months after one night.

Sereg
2010-02-09, 09:54 AM
Let's see...I have a scar on my finger where I cut myself with a BUTTER knife while trying to cut potatoes. I've run into a wall while blindfolded. I've jumped and hit my head on the kitchen counter. A girl stabbed me in the hand with a compass (note: said girl claimed that she loved me, not that I ever believed her :smallsigh:). I once woke up to discover that I had smashed my head through the window while sleeping. I walked into a stop sign. I repeatedly walked into tree branches on one camp. Once, I was helping my father prune the bougainvillea and I was twisting two branches to make them easier to cut/break when they slipped, span round and whacked a thorn into my arm that required me to get a tetanous shot. Once, I was lying on a wire and zapped myself but I was so tired that I didn't bother moving. Yeah, I think that's most of the more stupid ones.

IsaacTheHungry
2010-02-09, 10:42 AM
I once woke up to discover that I had smashed my head through the window while sleeping.

How??? :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Sereg
2010-02-10, 11:01 AM
How??? :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Well, when i woke up, I saw that I had fallen half off the bed. I was surprised, but just got up as I was still half-asleep. I went to the bathroom and when I came back, I saw that the window pane where my head was had a huge hole in it. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-02-10, 03:27 PM
Cut myself in the nostril with a pocketknife while stupidly trying to cut some paracord off my load-bearing suspenders...while I was wearing them. Ended up making just a small cut and I had to kind of hide in the platoon formation while I tried to stop the bleeding... but another millimeter and I would have cut clean through my nostril.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 03:30 PM
Snorted sherbet. BIG mistake (not exactly an injury but Goddamn that hurt).

Temotei
2010-02-10, 06:04 PM
Snorted sherbet. BIG mistake (not exactly an injury but Goddamn that hurt).

That reminds me of the time...

You know how in pizza shops, they have those assorted spices, both large and small?

I can't eat pizza, so I was screwed for food on our jazz fest trip until we went to Subway for the other group (ah...Subway). Anyway, those spices were mixed with salt and pepper on a napkin and licked up all at once. It was a lot of spice. It hurt, tasted awful, and was so fun I'd do it again.

:smalltongue: