PDA

View Full Version : Decisive Power Strike

quiet1mi
2010-02-05, 12:24 PM
I was wondering if the Decisive strike found in the PHB 2 under alternative class features for monks doubles the bonus damage granted by power attack.

If it did, then quarterstaffs (A 2 handed "monk" weapon) and Monk 1 or 2 will begin to see a lot more play when I build characters.

I also noticed the unearth arcana from the SRD also contains Monk variants based on fighting style... is that as note worthy as the paladin of tyranny or the wildshape ranger, or is Stunning fist sooo good that it is not worth any skill bonus and bonus feat...

Boci
2010-02-05, 12:27 PM
A quarter staff is a double weapon, not a 2 handed weapon, so getting 2:1 would be a bit awkward, but yes, the power attack bonus would double. The monk ACF is used in AoO builds.

Draz74
2010-02-05, 12:36 PM
A quarter staff is a double weapon, not a 2 handed weapon, so getting 2:1 would be a bit awkward,

It's sure listed under "two-handed weapons" on the Weapons table. :smalltongue:

You can ignore the offhand part of a double weapon and use it as a normal two-handed weapon. It's kind of the lone virtue of double weapons compared to just normal two-weapon fighting.

Boci
2010-02-05, 12:57 PM
You can ignore the offhand part of a double weapon and use it as a normal two-handed weapon. It's kind of the lone virtue of double weapons compared to just normal two-weapon fighting.

Source? I kno you can power attack with one end of the quarterstaff, but I'm not too sure you can get +2/-1, even if you do ingore the ofhand part.

faceroll
2010-02-05, 01:00 PM
I was wondering if the Decisive strike found in the PHB 2 under alternative class features for monks doubles the bonus damage granted by power attack.

If it did, then quarterstaffs (A 2 handed "monk" weapon) and Monk 1 or 2 will begin to see a lot more play when I build characters.

I also noticed the unearth arcana from the SRD also contains Monk variants based on fighting style... is that as note worthy as the paladin of tyranny or the wildshape ranger, or is Stunning fist sooo good that it is not worth any skill bonus and bonus feat...

They offer a way to pick up feats like combat expertise without having 13 int.

Source? I kno you can power attack with one end of the quarterstaff, but I'm not too sure you can get +2/-1, even if you do ingore the ofhand part.

It's in the weapon section of the SRD.

Mongoose87
2010-02-05, 01:16 PM
It's still a full-round action, which really kinda sucks.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 01:20 PM
It's still a full-round action, which really kind sucks.

Which is why it is used in AoO builds. :smallwink:

faceroll
2010-02-05, 01:20 PM

Ooh, that sounds downright delicious.

Mongoose87
2010-02-05, 01:22 PM

Are there any Monk weapons that are 2H with reach, other than using that feat in the Eberron Campaign Setting to use a Longspear?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 01:25 PM
Ooh, that sounds downright delicious.

The dawizard per round is amazing if you use Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit.

Person_Man
2010-02-05, 05:34 PM
Yes, it works. Decisive Strike is a good option for a low level Monk with Snap Kick and a good AoO combo. But at or above ECL 6ish, there are various other methods for multiplying damage without taking a problematic 3/4 BAB (which limits Power Attack) class like Monk. Critical hits, Headlong Rush, lance, Spirited Charge, Valorous Weapon, Rhino's Rush, Battle Jump, Leap Attack. For non-charge attacks, anything that adds an extra attack and/or a sufficient amount of scaled damage can be mathematically similar or superior to anything that multiplies damage. And note that Decisive Strike stops scaling up at ECL 11, so it's a poor choice for any high level build.

Mongoose87
2010-02-05, 06:26 PM
And note that Decisive Strike stops scaling up at ECL 11, so it's a poor choice for any high level build.

Could be nice if you do something like Monk 2/Crusader X, allowing you to stack it with Power Attack, and be an AoO monster.

Runestar
2010-02-05, 07:32 PM
The main use is that you don't waste time rolling for multiple attacks. Plus, I believe that 1 attack at double damage is mathematically equivalent to all those extra attacks you are making.

And as mentioned, if you can find some way of making extra free attacks during that round, such as via snap kick/AoO, all the better. :smallsmile:

Faleldir
2010-02-05, 07:50 PM
Make sure to ask your DM if he lets Decisive Strike count as Flurry for Tashalatora.