PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Ranged Weapons

subject42
2010-02-05, 01:54 PM
There are certain weapons, such as the Dwarven Urgosh and Dwarven Battle Axe, that are not considered martial weapons for dwarves.

Are there any ranged weapons that follow the same rules? I didn't see any when I looked through Races of Stone, but my curiosity is piqued.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-02-05, 02:00 PM
There are certain weapons, such as the Dwarven Urgosh and Dwarven Battle Axe, that are not considered martial weapons for dwarves.

Are there any ranged weapons that follow the same rules? I didn't see any when I looked through Races of Stone, but my curiosity is piqued.

By WotC, no. However, you can "add" Throwing hammers (See 4e) and make throwing axes racial.

Plus, don't quote me on this, can't one hypothetically throw a dwarven Waraxe as a Throwing Axe

Keld Denar
2010-02-05, 02:03 PM
Not from rulebooks, but "Dwarven Missiles" are light hammers, as outlined in one of the Hunter's Blade Trilogy books by Salvatore. I've always thought that dwarves had a kinship with crossbows, specifically big ones, due to their rather mechanical construction, as opposed to the more natural design of the longbow.

But no, those are the only 2 weapons that are treated as Martial for dwarves. Even the new exotic weapons from RoS (like the awesome Long Axe) require EWP or at least Racial Weapon Familiarity.

EDIT:

Plus, don't quote me on this, can't one hypothetically throw a dwarven Waraxe as a Throwing Axe

It is 1 handed (for a Dwarf), but it doesn't have a listed Range Increment, so technically no. Not without the Throw Anything feat or BSB levels or taking a -4 penality for an improvised weapon.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 02:07 PM
Flintlock muskets.

Thalnawr
2010-02-05, 02:45 PM
Themselves...

Ormagoden
2010-02-05, 02:58 PM
I've always thought that dwarves had a kinship with crossbows, specifically big ones, due to their rather mechanical construction, as opposed to the more natural design of the longbow.

Actually they like crossbows because drawing a long bow in a mine tunnel is rather difficult. A crossbow has a much smaller profile.

I can't think of any dwarf specific ranged weapons. I know there are a ton of weapons and armor in Races of Stone. Along with the feat that makes exotic racial weapons martial weapons. (I think its called racial weapon familiarity.)

Flintlock muskets.

I'd say that a blunderbuss is much more a dwarven weapon then a musket. :D

subject42
2010-02-05, 03:38 PM
Bummer. I was hoping for something like the heavy light flail crossbow.

Cyrion
2010-02-05, 04:24 PM
Themselves...

Nobody tosses a dwarf!

herrhauptmann
2010-02-05, 06:40 PM

I'm sorry, but either I'm putting the pauses in the wrong spot (somehow) but I must be reading your post wrong.
Urgroshes and D.Waraxes ARE martial weapons for dwarves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#urgroshDwarven)

Urgrosh, Dwarven

A dwarven urgrosh is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. The urgrosh’s axe head is a slashing weapon that deals 1d8 points of damage. Its spear head is a piercing weapon that deals 1d6 points of damage. You can use either head as the primary weapon. The other is the off-hand weapon. A creature wielding a dwarven urgrosh in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
If you use a ready action to set an urgrosh against a charge, you deal double damage if you score a hit against a charging character. If you use an urgrosh against a charging character, the spear head is the part of the weapon that deals damage.
Dwarves treat dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons.
A dwarven waraxe is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A Medium character can use a dwarven waraxe two-handed as a martial weapon, or a Large creature can use it one-handed in the same way. A dwarf treats a dwarven waraxe as a martial weapon even when using it in one hand.

Coulda sworn there was a turn of phrase somewhere that said a DM could swap out the racial weapon profiencies for dwarves, orcs, gnomes etc... Can't find it though.