PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Walker and Epic Level Questions [3.5]

AirGuitarGod32
2010-02-05, 01:58 PM
Hey y'all. This is more of a question on play mechanics, due to my probable misreading of books. For Reference, here's the build:

Lawful Neutral Grey Elf Evolved Dry Lich
Archivist 8/Contemplative 1/Walker in the Wastes 10/Tainted Scholar 1

I understand that tainted scholar, based on depravity, allows one to basically increase the DC of their spells, and supposedly by combining this with undead, the "Depravity DC" can be neigh infinite. Is this true by the books?

Also, in this campaign, we are entering "Nosebleed Territory" (Epic Level Play) and I'm highly considering Demilich for an upgrade to my all-but-free Dry Lich. What would, as a "Dry Demilich", I get?

One last thing: I want an opinion on how optimized this combo is, based on a scale from 1-PunPun

Nate the Snake
2010-02-05, 02:45 PM
Lawful Neutral Grey Elf Evolved Dry Lich
Archivist 8/Contemplative 1/Walker in the Wastes 10/Tainted Scholar 1

Contemplative requires Know (religion) 13, so you can't take it until level 11. However, you don't actually need it to qualify for WitW. Just knowing the first three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain counts as domain access for the purposes of the PrC. This is so druids can qualify, but an archivist can take advantage of that clause too.

I understand that tainted scholar, based on depravity, allows one to basically increase the DC of their spells, and supposedly by combining this with undead, the "Depravity DC" can be neigh infinite. Is this true by the books?

Yes. This is why Tainted Scholar is often colloquially referred to as "broken." Every spell you cast increases your depravity score, which in turn increases your save DCs.

Also, in this campaign, we are entering "Nosebleed Territory" (Epic Level Play) and I'm highly considering Demilich for an upgrade to my all-but-free Dry Lich. What would, as a "Dry Demilich", I get?

A dry demilich has demilich abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm) on top of everything that comes with the dry lich template. Check with your DM though, because demilich doesn't have a listed level adjustment.

One last thing: I want an opinion on how optimized this combo is, based on a scale from 1-PunPun

I'm leaning towards "No sane DM would allow this" solely because it includes Tainted Scholar. Let alone adding demilich...

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-05, 02:47 PM
The Taint thing is true; it's the reason Tainted Scholar is in the top 5 Most Broken PrCs Ever list. Even without undead trickery, it's possible to get a Taint score in the low 50's fairly easily with a decent PB.

RAW: Demilich requires regular Lich. Dry Lich can't qualify. RAI: Screw Demilich, grab more Epic Spellcasting.

Level of Optimization: 1. This is Planar Shepherd territory, pal. Be prepared to break the campaign. You may be losing caster levels from Walker, but the sheer power of Tainted Scholar more than makes up for it.