PDA

View Full Version : Sun Blade, lesser?

Roc Ness
2010-02-05, 04:17 PM
I remember reading somewhere on this forums that there exists a sort of "lesser" sun blade that doesn't cost crazy amounts. Is that true? Because if there is then it opens up a whole bunch of crazy shenigans for low level players.

Also, I'm aware that aptitude weapons exist.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 04:29 PM
Ravenloft.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-05, 04:37 PM
A +1 Sunsword (Sun Blade with only a +1 enhancement bonus instead of the usual enhancements and special abilities) is 3,300 gp. That means a non-magical, non-masterwork Sunsword would, in theory, cost 1,000 gp. However, it's never been printed (to my knowledge) as anything less than +1.

Roc Ness
2010-02-05, 05:40 PM
Ah, thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-02-05, 11:45 PM
A +1 Sunsword (Sun Blade with only a +1 enhancement bonus instead of the usual enhancements and special abilities) is 3,300 gp. That means a non-magical, non-masterwork Sunsword would, in theory, cost 1,000 gp. However, it's never been printed (to my knowledge) as anything less than +1.

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, p. 210. The printed market price is 3000 GP (which I assume includes the masterwork cost). +1 bastard sword that can be wielded by anyone proficient with either a bastard sword or shortsword. There's a bonding ritual that can be used to unlock more powerful anti-undead abilities, but it's usually not worth the bother.

Coidzor
2010-02-06, 02:19 AM
Does it take additional enchantments as a +1 weapon or a +2?

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 02:25 AM

My general method is:

Take the cost on the enhancement table that is just less than or equal to the item's cost (+1 - 2000gp). Enhance that, then add the difference.

So, adding ghost touch (+1 enhancement) would make it effectively +2, or 8000gp. However, adding the original difference (3000gp - 2000gp = 1000gp), you reach a final price of 9000 gp.

Cieyrin
2010-02-06, 01:08 PM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, p. 210. The printed market price is 3000 GP (which I assume includes the masterwork cost). +1 bastard sword that can be wielded by anyone proficient with either a bastard sword or shortsword. There's a bonding ritual that can be used to unlock more powerful anti-undead abilities, but it's usually not worth the bother.

The thing with it was the bonding ritual was WotC trying to make a bootleg Legacy Item, if you don't have Weapons of Legacy available. It just didn't work very well, actually worse than Weapons of Legacy are, in my opinion, even considering how much fail most Legacy items already are. Just building off of the base unbonded version is kinda nifty, though, so I doubt really mind so much.

It's just a +1 weapon with extra stuff. Just take regular +1 weapon price and adjust from there for what abilities you want to put on, so going from +1 to +2 is a difference of 6000 gp, just like any other +1 weapon being upgraded. And, just as PhoenixRivers already said, this comes out to 9k for upgrading. No real shenanigans here.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-06, 01:20 PM
I thought it was 3,300, my bad. Seems one of my characters overpaid.

But here's an issue - is it a bastard sword that only requires short sword proficiency, or does it also count as a short sword for things like being Light and qualifying for, say, Shadow Blade? I believe it does, but the way you described it it would not.

Cieyrin
2010-02-06, 01:40 PM
I thought it was 3,300, my bad. Seems one of my characters overpaid.

But here's an issue - is it a bastard sword that only requires short sword proficiency, or does it also count as a short sword for things like being Light and qualifying for, say, Shadow Blade? I believe it does, but the way you described it it would not.

The description in Expedition would seem to indicate that it just lets you use it if you're proficient in shortsword but the original Sun Blade has this gem:

However, a sun blade is wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.)

Which to me indicates that it looks like a bastard sword and does damage as a bastard sword but can be wielded as a short sword, meaning Shadow Blade and such are permissible. Hell, I count on this for an Iaijutsu Master build I have.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-06, 02:28 PM
Right, I don't have Ravenloft, I was just going off what someone told me the price was (...incorrectly), and using the Sun Blade for the rest of it.

Cieyrin
2010-02-06, 02:31 PM
Right, I don't have Ravenloft, I was just going off what someone told me the price was (...incorrectly), and using the Sun Blade for the rest of it.

That's basically what they did in Expedition, really, so you're definitely all green there.