PDA

View Full Version : Holy. O_o Fire Seeds?

Kantolin
2010-02-05, 04:37 PM
We have a cleric with the fire domain, how just got access to fire seeds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireSeeds.htm), and noted... well, that fire seeds does a ridiculously large amount of damage. O_o

Relevant statement is holly berry bombs.

Holly Berry Bombs

You turn as many as eight holly berries into special bombs. The holly berries are usually placed by hand, since they are too light to make effective thrown weapons (they can be tossed only 5 feet). If you are within 200 feet and speak a word of command, each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing 1d8 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level to every creature in a 5-foot radius burst and igniting any combustible materials within 5 feet. A creature in the area that makes a successful Reflex saving throw takes only half damage.

Now, assuming the 'word of command' is a standard action... does that really mean that a 12th level caster, by default, does 8d8+96 damage (reflex half), with each use of this spell? O-o

Sure, the range is only 5ft, but you can cast them a couple hours in advance, and it doesn't take particular effort nor optimization to get it such that it doesn't blow you up (or at least doesn't kill you).

Geez. O_o

Edit: Mistake pointed out by Pharoah Fist; fixed to 8d8

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-05, 04:39 PM
Damage would be 8d8+96 damage, not 12d8.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-05, 04:39 PM
We have a cleric with the fire domain, how just got access to fire seeds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireSeeds.htm), and noted... well, that fire seeds does a ridiculously large amount of damage. O_o

Relevant statement is holly berry bombs.

Now, assuming the 'word of command' is a standard action... does that really mean that a 12th level caster, by default, does 12d8+96 damage (reflex half), with each use of this spell? O-o

Sure, the range is only 5ft, but you can cast them a couple hours in advance, and it doesn't take particular effort nor optimization to get it such that it doesn't blow you up (or at least doesn't kill you).

Geez. O_o

Yes, I only got to use them twice as a Wu Jen, but the spell rocks.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 04:45 PM
Considering the cleric doesn't get much in the way of offensive spells...:smallsmile:

Grushvak
2010-02-05, 04:50 PM
Dropping an item is a free action, right? So you could just always carry these babies in one of your free hands, drop them at your feet during a fight, 5ft-step back, move another 5-ft and blow everything to hell?

I think I'm going to use these on my blasty-spells deprieved Priest of Bahamut.

EDIT: Level 6 spell, ugh. For some reason, I thought it would be level 3-4.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-05, 04:58 PM
The spell level and the required setup balanced them somewhat. But yes, they can be very powerful

Vaynor
2010-02-05, 05:00 PM
The seeds themselves are too light, but perhaps you could place them in some kind of hollow projectile to throw them? I don't see why not.

ericgrau
2010-02-05, 05:05 PM
If the projectile weighed something. Besides possibly breaking design intent, it's a standard action to throw them and another standard action to speak the command word. Best to have them already carried, drop them (free action), move (move action), and then make with the boom (standard action). EDIT: unless "word of command" is different from a typical command word.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-05, 05:05 PM
The spell level and the required setup balanced them somewhat. But yes, they can be very powerful

Setup? Just have an Unseen Servant or Floating Disk spell carry them over to the enemy. The Servant is undamaged, and the bombs go off the way you want them to.

Or use the Summon Elemental Reserve feat if you don't want to waste another slot. That gives them a 30ft range.

Edge of Dreams
2010-02-05, 05:07 PM
Why not make more than eight with multiple castings?

Aldizog
2010-02-05, 05:07 PM
Now, assuming the 'word of command' is a standard action... does that really mean that a 12th level caster, by default, does 8d8+96 damage (reflex half), with each use of this spell? O-o

Well, kind of. It does 8 instances of 1d8+12. Which means that anything with Resist Fire 20 is going to be unharmed. That actually makes for a nice tactic: stock up on as many as you like, cast Resist Energy, go into melee, and detonate them on yourself.

Optimystik
2010-02-05, 05:09 PM
Considering the cleric doesn't get much in the way of offensive spells...:smallsmile:

If you want offensive spells that badly, there are far better domains to take than Fire or Sun.

Grushvak
2010-02-05, 05:10 PM
Why not make more than eight with multiple castings?

Unseen Servant carrying a bunch of these would be hilarious. The DM probably wouldn't fall for it more than once though.

Surgo
2010-02-05, 05:12 PM
It's not bad, for level 11, but it's not really stepping on the Rogue's toes that much either (especially with that save).

Temotei
2010-02-05, 05:13 PM
If you want offensive spells that badly, there are far better domains to take than Fire or Sun.

Agreed. Why ten characters...?

SurlySeraph
2010-02-05, 05:22 PM
Setup? Just have an Unseen Servant or Floating Disk spell carry them over to the enemy. The Servant is undamaged, and the bombs go off the way you want them to.

Or use the Summon Elemental Reserve feat if you don't want to waste another slot. That gives them a 30ft range.

The first requires casting another spell and time; the second requires a feat that you may not want to take. I see your point, though.

And I like Aldizog and Vaynor's suggestions. Creativity always makes spells more entertaining.

Demented
2010-02-05, 05:24 PM
Why not put them in a bag, along with some kind of heavy-ish object? Molotov feed bag!

Well, kind of. It does 8 instances of 1d8+12. Which means that anything with Resist Fire 20 is going to be unharmed. That actually makes for a nice tactic: stock up on as many as you like, cast Resist Energy, go into melee, and detonate them on yourself.

You can say goodbye to a number of your attended items.

ericgrau
2010-02-05, 05:25 PM
Resist energy also protects your gear.

Beorn080
2010-02-05, 05:52 PM
Give them/hide them on your groups rogue. Once he's finished sneak attacking, blow him up. He makes the save, and with Imp evasion takes no damage, and you get a ranged attack.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-02-05, 06:47 PM

http://agc.deskslave.org/files/Thumbs/IcastfireballZ_thumb.png

Bwa ha ha...

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-05, 06:52 PM
Give them/hide them on your groups rogue. Once he's finished sneak attacking, blow him up. He makes the save, and with Imp evasion takes no damage, and you get a ranged attack.

I love it. So simple, yet so hilarious :smallbiggrin:

jindra34
2010-02-05, 07:02 PM
Also remember each berry offers a seperate save. And it can be really nasty if you have a couple of days to prepare for defense.

huttj509
2010-02-05, 07:04 PM
Drop em in a flask, then stopper the flask.

Vampire: What is that, more holy water? Hah.

Player: BURN WITH ME!

Edit: ooh ooh slip em in the victim's food!

The New Bruceski
2010-02-05, 07:16 PM
Drop em in a flask, then stopper the flask.

Vampire: What is that, more holy water? Hah.

Player: BURN WITH ME!

Edit: ooh ooh slip em in the victim's food!

Create the berries, juice them, and slip it in someone's wine.

MickJay
2010-02-06, 04:35 AM
If they're still berries (albeit exploding ones), you could cast the spell multiple times, press the juice out, ferment it, and you'd end up with a bottle of highly explosive (yet stable, until command word is spoken) wine. Think of all the possibilities. :smallbiggrin:

Signmaker
2010-02-06, 04:58 AM
If they're still berries (albeit exploding ones), you could cast the spell multiple times, press the juice out, ferment it, and you'd end up with a bottle of highly explosive (yet stable, until command word is spoken) wine. Think of all the possibilities. :smallbiggrin:

Obligatory molotov cocktail reference.

faceroll
2010-02-06, 05:03 AM
Also remember each berry offers a seperate save. And it can be really nasty if you have a couple of days to prepare for defense.

Since each berry has a separate save, the SD is going to be much closer to average.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 05:16 AM
Dropping an item is a free action, right? So you could just always carry these babies in one of your free hands, drop them at your feet during a fight, 5ft-step back, move another 5-ft and blow everything to hell?

I think I'm going to use these on my blasty-spells deprieved Priest of Bahamut.

EDIT: Level 6 spell, ugh. For some reason, I thought it would be level 3-4.

It gets better than that. You're allowed to drop items in adjacent squares.

So, you're standing toe to toe with an enemy... Drop the handful of berries at his feet (in his square, 5 feet ahead of you). Then take a free 5 foot step back (you're now 10 feet from the berries). Now, standard action, command word boom. Now, they get a save for each berry, by the wording, but it's still a lot of damage.

Alternately? Drop em every 15 feet as you fly over a group. 13-20 damage to everything in a 15 foot wide, 120 foot long pass (8 berries). That's at CL 12.

Sliver
2010-02-06, 05:25 AM
Now, they get a save for each berry, by the wording, but it's still a lot of damage.

But it is better then a spell with a single save that does the same amount of damage, on average. Against creatures with no evasion and 50% to save, it will do 75% of it's damage if it saves for half of them. It's like a 1d12 vs 2d6 damage weapons. And if the target has evasion, it increases the chances of it getting damaged at least a bit.

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-06, 05:38 AM
Unseen Servant carrying a bunch of these would be hilarious. The DM probably wouldn't fall for it more than once though.

I would let players do that. In fact, I have a player who will probably try that when the party reaches that level (however, she is neither a Druid nor has the Fire or Sun domains, so she would have to ask the Druid to cooperate with her). I think it's clever.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 05:45 AM
But it is better then a spell with a single save that does the same amount of damage, on average. Against creatures with no evasion and 50% to save, it will do 75% of it's damage if it saves for half of them. It's like a 1d12 vs 2d6 damage weapons. And if the target has evasion, it increases the chances of it getting damaged at least a bit.

It's better in most cases, yes, as reducing randomness favors the superior combatant, which is usually the PC.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-06, 06:28 AM
This would make one of the most horrific DM tactics ever.

Situation: Some high-ranking member of a community is secretly evil and about to summon some horror on the unsuspecting residents. On the night before, the PCs are invited to dinner, and berries are served for dessert. Later that night, they figure out he's the BBEG, and rush into his cellar (or wherever he is) to stop him.

BBEG: Oh, nice deduction. Certainly outwitted me.

PC: Stop it! NOW!

BBEG: But, I have to ask. You familiar with the spell fire seeds?

PC: What?

BBEG: *command word*

PC: *dies*

Mushroom Ninja
2010-02-06, 10:21 AM
This would make one of the most horrific DM tactics ever.

Situation: Some high-ranking member of a community is secretly evil and about to summon some horror on the unsuspecting residents. On the night before, the PCs are invited to dinner, and berries are served for dessert. Later that night, they figure out he's the BBEG, and rush into his cellar (or wherever he is) to stop him.

BBEG: Oh, nice deduction. Certainly outwitted me.

PC: Stop it! NOW!

BBEG: But, I have to ask. You familiar with the spell fire seeds?

PC: What?

BBEG: *command word*

PC: *dies*

It's only got a duration of 10 min/level

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-06, 10:38 AM
It's only got a duration of 10 min/level

It is a 6th level spell so by the time you get it, it has a nice duration and besides you can always extend it.

Thrawn183
2010-02-06, 11:07 AM

Incorrect. Monster energy resistance is on a per-round basis, not per attack like spell based or item based energy resistance. This is why I laugh when people complain that at high levels everything has resistances.

To quote the SRD (emphasis mine):
" A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type each round, but it does not have total immunity.

Each resistance ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted. It doesn’t matter whether the damage has a mundane or magical source.

When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell. This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell might provide."

Sliver
2010-02-06, 11:14 AM
Incorrect. Monster energy resistance is on a per-round basis, not per attack like spell based or item based energy resistance. This is why I laugh when people complain that at high levels everything has resistances.

" A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type each round, but it does not have total immunity.

Unless you use the rules compendium ruling to say that it just like the spell. It also makes sense because I heard it was lowered from the 3.0 values and that is just an editing error. I asked in the RAW thread when I made a lesser aasimar cleric..

Aldizog
2010-02-06, 11:27 AM

Each resistance ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted. It doesn’t matter whether the damage has a mundane or magical source.

When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell. This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell might provide."
Incorrect. To quote the Monster Manual (emphasis mine):
"Resistance to Energy (Ex): A creature with this special quality ignores some damage of the indicated type each time it takes damage."

To quote the Player's Handbook (emphasis mine), under "Resist Energy":
"The subject gains energy resistance 10 against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced by 10 points"

nekomata2
2010-02-06, 11:31 AM
Step 1) Locate a Dragon, do not confront yet.
Step 2) Find a sheep.
Step 3) Put multiple castings of energy subbed berry bombs in the wool.
Step 4) Feed sheep to Dragon.
Step 5) Say the command word.
Step 6) Laugh.

Optional Step 3.5) Put Qual's Feather Token, Tree in there too, just in case.

ericgrau
2010-02-06, 01:33 PM
The spell energy resistance says that it works just like the energy resistance rules, then it immediately contradicts them. We then have a conflict that needs resolving, which rules compendium seems to do. So yeah, it's per attack. But no, not every high level enemy is resistant to fire. Much less than half I think. It's just more common that's all. And if you're up against a whole band of them it could start getting annoying, but at least then it'll be obvious that you should prepare something else.

Setting multiple castings seems abusive, like other semi-infinite stacking tricks. I don't think any DM would allow it more than once, if at all.

Optimystik
2010-02-06, 02:01 PM
Step 1) Locate a (non-Fire) Dragon, do not confront yet.
Step 2) Find a sheep.
Step 3) Put multiple castings of energy subbed berry bombs in the wool.
Step 4) Feed sheep to (non-Fire) Dragon.
Step 5) Say the command word.
Step 6) Laugh.

Fixed that for you

Milskidasith
2010-02-06, 02:40 PM
Fixed that for you

It's energy substituted. It doesn't matter.

sonofzeal
2010-02-06, 02:57 PM
Searing would work well, too. After all, any Red Dragon worth its salt will have invested in Cold resistance/immunity.

golentan
2010-02-06, 03:31 PM
Searing would work well, too. After all, any Red Dragon worth its salt will have invested in Cold resistance/immunity.

Oh goodness me, yes. Searing spell FTW.

Plus, as a benefit, feed the sheep to a White Dragon? 16d8+192 damage. Ouchie, momma.

sonofzeal
2010-02-06, 04:00 PM
Oh goodness me, yes. Searing spell FTW.

Plus, as a benefit, feed the sheep to a White Dragon? 16d8+192 damage. Ouchie, momma.
Also note that the CL is uncapped. Each Bead of Karma adds 32 damage per casting of the spell, and gives you 40 extra minutes to set up your trap. Good times....

absolmorph
2010-02-06, 05:53 PM
Also note that the CL is uncapped. Each Bead of Karma adds 32 damage per casting of the spell, and gives you 40 extra minutes to set up your trap. Good times....
Assuming: Druid 11, Bead of Karma, Wis 22 (1 bonus spell)
2*(8d8+120) damage, which is 256-368 damage, average of 304.
At level 20, same druid, all stat bonuses in Wis:
5*(8d8+192) damage, which is 1000-1320, average of 1160.
At level 11, you've got a decent chance of OHKOing up to an Adult White Dragon. Unless, of course, your DM realizes that the dragon is getting hit from the inside and that dodging that is pretty ridiculous, even from DnD. Then, it's guaranteed.
At level 20, you automatically kill all dragons that aren't red. Unless you use energy substitution, of course.
Boom go the holly seeds.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 06:00 PM
Assuming: Druid 11, Bead of Karma, Wis 22 (1 bonus spell)
2*(8d8+120) damage, which is 256-368 damage, average of 304.
At level 20, same druid, all stat bonuses in Wis:
5*(8d8+192) damage, which is 1000-1320, average of 1160.
At level 11, you've got a decent chance of OHKOing up to an Adult White Dragon. Unless, of course, your DM realizes that the dragon is getting hit from the inside and that dodging that is pretty ridiculous, even from DnD. Then, it's guaranteed.
At level 20, you automatically kill all dragons that aren't red. Unless you use energy substitution, of course.
Boom go the holly seeds.

Or unless your DM is of the mindset that the body blocks LoE, so you can't make internal bombs unless you're also inside?

Granted, it'd be really funny to do if you had an immunity/high resistance to the element you're using, and used the "get swallowed, give it heartburn" tactic.

golentan
2010-02-06, 06:39 PM
Or unless your DM is of the mindset that the body blocks LoE, so you can't make internal bombs unless you're also inside?

Granted, it'd be really funny to do if you had an immunity/high resistance to the element you're using, and used the "get swallowed, give it heartburn" tactic.

Sadly, some of the multipliers in there were from Searing Spell, which sort of means you don't want to be standing close even with immunity.

Myou
2010-02-06, 06:40 PM
This spell seems fun but horribly easy to abuse.

What do you guys think of this as a house rule to prevent abuse (for both sides);

"Spells such as Explosive Runes or Fire Seeds, which can be cast in advance to create an object (such as the runes or seeds) and then activated at a later point to deal their damage multiple times over, do not stack. A creature can only be damaged by any particular one of these spells once per round. For example, a creature setting off two Explosive Runes spells and also being hit by three Fire Seeds spells, all in one round, is affected only by a single Explosive Runes spell and a single Fire Seeds spell."

Kaerou
2010-02-06, 06:47 PM
Fill a pouch / throwable container with them.

Throw the pouch/container.

Speak word.

boom.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 06:54 PM
Sadly, some of the multipliers in there were from Searing Spell, which sort of means you don't want to be standing close even with immunity.

Depends on how you get the immunity. There are ways to get immunity from searing spell.

For example: Have regeneration (bypassed by something other than fire), and Favor of the Martyr.

You're not immune to fire damage, so searing spell doesn't apply. However, regeneration converts the fire damage to nonlethal damage, and you ARE immune to nonlethal.

The conversion's what does it.

Jack_Simth
2010-02-06, 06:59 PM

Hate to break it to you, but with Unseen Servant:

It cannot be killed, but it dissipates if it takes 6 points of damage from area attacks. (It gets no saves against attacks.)

The bombs are area attacks. The first one kills it. Mind you, that mostly just means you need a new casting of Unseen Servant for each bomb droppage....

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-06, 07:14 PM

The bombs are area attacks. The first one kills it. Mind you, that mostly just means you need a new casting of Unseen Servant for each bomb droppage....

Summon Elemental it is then. Oh well, no big loss.

Tavar
2010-02-06, 08:53 PM
Or have the US drop the seeds from above the seeds blast range.

Darrin
2010-02-07, 12:03 AM

It cannot be killed, but it dissipates if it takes 6 points of damage from area attacks. (It gets no saves against attacks.)

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) gives you Unseen Servant at will.

Another idea might be to add the Relicguard Metamagic feat (Dragon #347, +0 level adjustment). Thus, the fire seeds do no damage to objects or non-living creatures, which would include constructs, undead, and Unseen Servant. Actually, that'd be quite handy with any of the "here, eat this fireberry pie" schemes: kill your target, leave all his items untouched and intact.

MickJay
2010-02-07, 05:33 AM
The only problem seems to be the 10min/level duration, any ideas on how to circumvent that? As it is, I'd rule that whatever substance there is in the berries, it's going to become inert after the spell's duration passes. And I'm afraid that squeezing the berries could simply "break" them, rather than allow to get the exploding juice.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-07, 11:18 AM
Your country is about to go to war. Have all the 11+ level clerics in the nation prepare all their 6+ level slots with Fire Seeds. Pile all of the berries in front of the enemy's advancing armies. Wait until they start crawling through/across... and have all the clerics say the command words.

EDIT: Unless it's only a domain spell... in which case... :smallfrown:

ericgrau
2010-02-07, 11:21 AM
This spell seems fun but horribly easy to abuse.

What do you guys think of this as a house rule to prevent abuse (for both sides);

"Spells such as Explosive Runes or Fire Seeds, which can be cast in advance to create an object (such as the runes or seeds) and then activated at a later point to deal their damage multiple times over, do not stack. A creature can only be damaged by any particular one of these spells once per round. For example, a creature setting off two Explosive Runes spells and also being hit by three Fire Seeds spells, all in one round, is affected only by a single Explosive Runes spell and a single Fire Seeds spell."

But of course. And no bags of 1000 shrunken alchemist fires, etc., etc. That's a fine house rule, but I would hope that it would never even need to be stated.

Beorn080
2010-02-07, 11:39 AM
Metalhead, its domain only for clerics, and a basic spell for druids. I could see a coven of druids converting all the berries in their domain to berry bombs though. "Despoiler of the forest, I hope you enjoyed those berries." BOOM

Starbuck_II
2010-02-07, 11:44 AM
It is a Wu Jen spell as well. But Wu Jen need all the help they can get as they lack many Wizard spells.

Myou
2010-02-07, 11:48 AM
But of course. And no bags of 1000 shrunken alchemist fires, etc., etc. That's a fine house rule, but I would hope that it would never even need to be stated.

Thanks. :3

My policy is to make abuses impossible wherever I can, for in-game consistency rather than balance - if the berries stack then it's only logical to use hundreds at once, and players wouldn't do it, but it's not fair to ask them not to if their characters have every reason to do so.

Worira
2010-02-07, 12:11 PM
You're the demoman now dog!

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-07, 12:56 PM
The only problem seems to be the 10min/level duration, any ideas on how to circumvent that? As it is, I'd rule that whatever substance there is in the berries, it's going to become inert after the spell's duration passes. And I'm afraid that squeezing the berries could simply "break" them, rather than allow to get the exploding juice.
I'd just rule that breaking the berry causes it to explode.

There's also no reason to expect that it is the juice that causes the berry to explode.

Aquillion
2010-02-07, 01:01 PM
Here's how you really abuse it:

Sculpt Spell.

You can now change the explosion to any of the following:

1. Cylinder with a 10’ radius & 30’height;
2. 40’ Cone;
3. four 10’ cubes;
4. 20’ radius Sphere; or
5. 120’ Line.

On top of this, I just noticed that the spell is SR: No. And it's an instant conjuration spell. That means the seeds continue to work in an AMF.

Hrm. A wizard with Arcane Discipline + Arcane Thesis (Fire Seeds) could do a lot of nasty stuff with it. Probably not worth it, but still, it would be fun.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-07, 01:04 PM

Sculpt Spell.

2. 40’ Cone;
3. four 10’ cubes;
4. 20’ radius Sphere; or
5. 120’ Line.

On top of this, I just noticed that the spell is SR: No. And it's an instant conjuration spell. That means the seeds continue to work in an AMF.

Hrm. A wizard with Arcane Discipline + Arcane Thesis (Fire Seeds) could do a lot of nasty stuff with it. Probably not worth it, but still, it would be fun.

Couldn't you just be a Wu Jen with arcane thesis (Fire seed), that removes limitation of Arcane deciple (save based on Wisdom).

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-07, 03:15 PM

Sculpt Spell.

2. 40’ Cone;
3. four 10’ cubes;
4. 20’ radius Sphere; or
5. 120’ Line.

Hmm... Now to find a God with both war and fire domains, who is TN/NG...

EDIT: or to just play a generic caster fron UA, of course.

Darrin
2010-02-07, 03:26 PM
Hmm... Now to find a God with both war and fire domains, who is TN/NG...

Joramy: Maiden of Disputes, Mistress of Heat, The Furious Inferno, The Raging Volcano. (from Living Greyhawk Deities).

Odd. For a goddess of wrath/anger/volcanoes, TN/NG isn't the first thing that springs to mind.

Sliver
2010-02-10, 03:30 PM
Joramy: Maiden of Disputes, Mistress of Heat, The Furious Inferno, The Raging Volcano. (from Living Greyhawk Deities).

Odd. For a goddess of wrath/anger/volcanoes, TN/NG isn't the first thing that springs to mind.

Fire likes to burn, not caring who takes the heat? :smalltongue: