PDA

View Full Version : Good Modules to start with [3.5]

Godskook
2010-02-05, 06:20 PM
Ok, I'm thinking about trying my hand at DMing, and I'm wondering what modules are good to start with. Preferably I'd start with something that only goes 1-2 levels so that I can get a good feel of it without over-committing.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-05, 06:57 PM
Dark and stormy knight (should alter fights as you see fit. the boss fight sucks
Somethings cooking in the kitchen
Burning Plague

All 3 can be found on the WoTC website, plus many others.

Koury
2010-02-05, 07:02 PM
You can thank me later (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a).

Matthew
2010-02-05, 07:15 PM
Dark and stormy knight (should alter fights as you see fit. the boss fight sucks
Somethings cooking in the kitchen
Burning Plague

All 3 can be found on the WoTC website, plus many others.

Yes, indeed. These are definitely good starter modules for D20/3e, very straightforward and easy to run; you can download them from the Wizards of the Coast website here: Free Dungeons & Dragons Adventures (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b).

Godskook
2010-02-05, 07:26 PM
You can thank me later (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a).

Yes, guys, I know about the WotC downloadables, but didn't know if they were worth it. As far as ToH goes, that's a no.

FishAreWet
2010-02-05, 07:27 PM
ToH is a bad place to start IMO.

deuxhero
2010-02-05, 07:31 PM
Isn't the 3.5 verison of ToH massively dumbed down?

Zergrusheddie
2010-02-05, 07:31 PM
Isn't the 3.5 verison of ToH massively dumbed down?

Yes. It gives you, sometimes at least, these things called saves. :smallamused:

Koury
2010-02-05, 07:34 PM
Just for the record, I WAS joking. :smallsmile:

CTLC
2010-02-05, 07:34 PM
i dont know if it would be so easy, but eberron is really really cool looking

herrhauptmann
2010-02-06, 01:11 AM
Jumping straight into a campaign world is probably a bad idea for any new DM unless they've already got a good grounding in the lore of the world. Either by playing in it, or reading the novels.

Not so sure that Eberron is a DM friendly world though. Any advice from experienced Eberron DMs?

Egiam
2010-02-06, 01:41 AM
Jumping straight into a campaign world is probably a bad idea for any new DM unless they've already got a good grounding in the lore of the world. Either by playing in it, or reading the novels.

Not so sure that Eberron is a DM friendly world though. Any advice from experienced Eberron DMs?

I have years of Eberron experience. I do not reccomend starting with it. I love it to death, but can not advise beginning with it. Eberron takes a whole different mindset when writing adventures. 1st level adventurers in regular DND deal with the evil dragon because no one else is around to do the job. In Eberron, the players will keep on bugging you about "Why doesn't the king just teleport in an army?".

I hope that makes sense.

This is what I do recommend:
The Scourge of the Howling Horde is hands-down the most DM-friendly module in existence. I have experience with many others; This one is best. It has a fine plot, good NPCs, and loads of DM tools, such as a checklist of gear, and pointers along the way. It is organized well, and is simple to run, yet not railroading. I have ran it three times. Each was a success, and happened slightly differently.

Go on Amazon or Ebay and order it. You will not regret it once you see the faces of your players when their characters come back into the town victorious.

Myou
2010-02-06, 06:12 AM
I came to recommend The Scourge of the Howling Horde too. First module I ever ran.

Matthew
2010-02-06, 08:13 PM
Yes, guys, I know about the WotC downloadables, but didn't know if they were worth it.

The Burning Plague is definitely a good introduction, but you may have to modify a few things as it was written for 3.0. Back before the thread purge, I had a thread about it, which I might have saved some of...

Area 4a
The Seventeen Kobold Warriors in the original adventure were all armed with Half Spears and Light Cross Bows; they had a Strength Penalty of -2 and a Constitution Penalty of -1 (from the Burning Plague). I didn't want the Kobolds to be too much more difficult, so I kept both the Strength and Constitution Bonuses. I'm not clear why Kobolds had their Wisdom and Charisma lowered for 3.5 or how that interacts with their Skills and Racial Bonuses [Seems to work out oddly at 10 Skill Points?], so I left them mainly as they are in 3.0 [which here results in 4 unused Skill Points].
I altered the weapons for the sake of variety mostly, but also to reduce the damage potential of the 3.0 Light Cross Bows. Half I gave Small Light Cross Bows and the rest Small Javelins [3.0 Darts] or Long Bows [3.0 Short Bows]. I also provided them with a variety of Melee Weapons of appropriate size, Spears [3.0 Half Spears], Battle Axes [3.0 Hand Axes], Morning Stars [3.0 Light Maces] and a few Light Shields [3.0 Small Shields]; I gave the Kobold Leader in The Mess Hall [Area 3] a Long Sword [3.0 Short Sword], Studded Leather Armour and a Light Shield.

[B]Kobold Warriors AB 0(3), AC 14-17, HP 3-4,
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 13, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10,
Feats: Alertness
Skills: Sneak 2, Hide 6, Listen 2, Spot 2, Search 2, Profession: Miner 2, Craft: Trap Making 2,
Armour: Padded (+1), Leather (+2), Studded Leather (+3), Light Shield (+1),
Melee Weapons: Sword (1D6-2), Axe (1D6-2), Mace (1D6-2), Spear (1D6-2),
Ranged Weapons: Javelin (1D6-2), Bow (1D6-2), Crossbow (1D6)

I was tempted to mess around with the Feats, but eventually decided to leave well enough alone. I did modify the treasure each was carrying so that it was more variable and not just a flat 11 Gold Coins. I also decided that normal combat with the Kobolds would not count as physical contact for the purposes of contracting the Burning Plague.
I decided to write out the two Kobold young travelling with the Warband, as needless complication. M'dok was already selfish enough to want to negotiate. I upped the Strength and Dexterity of the Sorcerer himself to -1 and +2, respectively, but otherwise pretty much decided to leave him alone.

Might be helpful.