PDA

View Full Version : A "Rager" Ability

PersonMan
2010-02-05, 07:38 PM
I've been wondering if it would be possible to create an ability that mimics the sort of rager found in the Underland Chronicles. Basically, ragers are relatively normal people who get a rager sense that activates in combat, allowing them to strike at weak points, react more quickly to attacks, etc. While still just basically being normal people when not raging. How could this be done?

Latronis
2010-02-05, 07:51 PM
Bonus to initiative(readjust initiative order) and critical threat range whenever attacked as a feat covers the reacts to attacks more quickly and striking at weak points

PersonMan
2010-02-05, 08:05 PM
Good idea-and I think that Whirlwind Attack would cover the rager spin attack. However, I'm not sure about using feats, seeing as they usually come with hit dice, and the concept is more like a template than anything.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-05, 08:34 PM
I've been wondering if it would be possible to create an ability that mimics the sort of rager found in the Underland Chronicles. Basically, ragers are relatively normal people who get a rager sense that activates in combat, allowing them to strike at weak points, react more quickly to attacks, etc. While still just basically being normal people when not raging. How could this be done?

Why can't the class be fluff?
There is a Dex bonus Rage variant: Whirling Frenzy.

I mean, Barbs have a decent skill list (and unlike Commoners they have 4+ Int skill so just spend 2 improve reading ability and they are no longer un-literate).

Latronis
2010-02-05, 08:43 PM
So make it a template that grants that ability. ATM an LA+0 is fine. Providing it doesn't change anything.

Alternatively you could make it a background or heritage feat only selectable at first level.

Then you could make other feats with special attacks based on the number of Rager feats

PersonMan
2010-02-05, 10:40 PM
You're right, that would probably work. Thanks.

imp_fireball
2010-02-06, 12:00 AM
If you want, you could grant them special immediate action 'counters' to imply higher speed and skill. Kind of like counters in ToB except they're abilities independent of any discipline - the reason for this is essentially the rager just instinctively knows how to do that kinda stuff. A 'discipline' implies that they had to devote themselves to training in a certain way.

This would actually be a decent maneuver based monster - which was what a few people were looking to create on another thread (for 'age of warriors').

Why can't the class be fluff?

Well because barbs can still fight pretty well when not raging. And rage doesn't do that much for a barb - higher will saves, minor damage boost and a little more hp for an encounter? Not exactly 'spectacular'.