PDA

View Full Version : question about 4th edition.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-06, 12:39 AM
Okay. My friend informs me that if at next level, if I retrain this one feat I can also retrain my other two feats since without that one feat I don't qualify for those other two.

Is this true? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the section on feats.:smallconfused:

nepphi
2010-02-06, 12:55 AM
It is not true. The retraining RAW is as follows:

"You can't replace a feat if it's a prerequisite for any other attribute you have (another feat or a paragon class for example),..."
[p 28, PHB]

If he's willing to make it a house rule of course, that's one thing, but RAW does not support his claim. You would have to retrain those feats individually until the base feat was no longer a prerequisite, then you could retrain it aside.

DabblerWizard
2010-02-06, 08:57 AM
Okay. My friend informs me that if at next level, if I retrain this one feat I can also retrain my other two feats since without that one feat I don't qualify for those other two.

Is this true? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the section on feats.:smallconfused:

Nepphi's explanation was somewhat confusing. Let me rephrase.

Using the same quotation as Nepphi presented.

You would have to look in the phb 1 on retraining rules, not under feats specifically.

Your scenario seems to be this: I want to retrain Feat A, but it leads to Feats B and C.

According to RAW, Since Feat A leads to B, and C, you have to retrain B, and C first, one at at time, one per level of retraining. Afterward, or three levels from now, you can retrain A.

If my player had reasonably decided that they want to retrain a certain feat, I'd let them retrain a stack of feats if it cascaded like yours does. Maybe I'm too nice.

Sinon
2010-02-06, 09:54 AM
You are very nice for those cascading feats. :smallwink:

For those of us who are not as nice: Strictly speaking, page 28 of the PHB reads, "You can make only one change at each level."

And further: "You can’t replace a feat if it’s a prerequisite for any other attribute you have (another feat or a paragon path, for example)"

So, if you had a chain of feats, you’d have to retrain the last link, the one most recently acquired, and wait until next level, retrain another, and so forth.

tbarrie
2010-02-06, 09:58 AM

Is the friend in question your DM? If so, it's true. (But as others have pointed out, it's not true in the standard rules.)

Mystic Muse
2010-02-06, 10:07 AM
No. If it was the DM I wouldn't be asking. It's another player. I don't know where he got the idea though.