PDA

View Full Version : Windows live messenger virus help?

darkblust
2010-02-06, 12:50 AM
Well,i have a virus which sends a link to people on my friends list.Anyone know how to get rid of this sort of thing?

Dragero
2010-02-06, 07:58 PM
Download a good antivirus and scan, scan, scan away!

Format your computer.

Fire. Fire is the solution to everything.

Yarram
2010-02-06, 08:27 PM
Choose Linux.

bluewind95
2010-02-06, 08:57 PM
You can also look for it manually and delete it with the help of HijackThis and Process Explorer. But that does require that you're comfortable messing with the computer's registry. And that you're comfortable googling every single process that you are not 100% sure what it is.

lesser_minion
2010-02-06, 09:40 PM
Well, uninstalling Windows Live Messenger should stop a virus from using it.

Do you know how you might have got it or exactly what the virus is? From what you've said, it could quite easily be simple fraud with no malware of any kind to be seen.

Choose Linux.

If you get hit, you get hit.

Every OS has certain things in common, such as web browsers, e-mail clients, and the interface between the keyboard and chair. Those three things are also among the most likely things to be hit.

Lupy
2010-02-06, 10:31 PM
Every OS has certain things in common, such as web browsers, e-mail clients, and the interface between the keyboard and chair. Those three things are also among the most likely things to be hit.

Blesphemy! The Penguin is infallible! Burn the traitor! Burn the traitor!

Traitor burning aside, run a virus scan, and if that fails uninstall and then reinstall messenger.

Dragero
2010-02-07, 11:38 AM
Blesphemy! The Penguin is infallible! Burn the traitor! Burn the traitor!

Traitor burning aside, run a virus scan, and if that fails uninstall and then reinstall messenger.

And if that fails, there is always fire. Fire is your freind.

BisectedBrioche
2010-02-07, 11:43 AM
Choose Linux.

Sacrifice a linux fanboy to appease the computer gods. :smalltongue:

Anuan
2010-02-07, 07:20 PM
Strangely, this one seems to usually be defeated by changing your password. Then, run a virus scan to see if you can catch anything.

Flickerdart
2010-02-07, 07:44 PM
Avast, boot-time scan. These sort of viruses are usually not very sophisticated.

Felixaar
2010-02-08, 01:59 AM
Fire. Fire is the solution to everything.

*Not reccomended for erections lasting more than three hours.

Yarram
2010-02-08, 03:25 AM
Sacrifice a linux fanboy to appease the computer gods. :smalltongue:

I resent that. :smallannoyed: I only use it specifically because I don't get viruses with it... That and Macs are too expensive and/or incompatible with virtually every program I own.

lesser_minion
2010-02-08, 10:58 AM
I resent that. :smallannoyed: I only use it specifically because I don't get viruses with it... That and Macs are too expensive and/or incompatible with virtually every program I own.

Macs do get viruses, because Mac owners are assumed to be much better targets for internet crime.

It's not difficult to "not get viruses" on any OS, as long as you're careful.

Ellas Aramond
2010-02-08, 03:32 PM
Strangely, this one seems to usually be defeated by changing your password.

I had the same problem about six months ago, and this fixed it right up.