PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bearsharktopus

starwoof
2010-02-06, 06:03 AM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/bearsharktipus.jpg?t=1265454445

Bearsharktopus
Size/Type:Large Magical Beast (aquatic)
Hit Dice: 8d10 + 40 (84 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40ft, swim 60ft
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+20
Attack: Tentacle +15 melee (1d4+8)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +15 melee (1d4+8) and Bite +10 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach:10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:Improved grab, constrict
Special Qualities:Low-light vision, keen scent, blindsense, amphibious, regeneration 5
Saves: Fort +11, Will +3, Ref +4
Abilities:Str 27, Dex 15, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +8, Swim +13
Feats: Endurance, Track, Improved Initiative
Environment: Cold Aquatic, Cold Forests
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Shiver (3-7)
Challenge Rating: 7
Advancement: 9-13 HD (Large), 14-21 HD (huge)
Level Adjustment: -

A combination of all the most deadly elements of a bear, shark, and octopus.

The Bearsharktopus is thought to be related to the Owlbear in many ways. It is half bear, half shark, and half octopus, and all deadly. Bearsharktopi are a constant danger to anyone who travels near forests and oceans. The mauled and crushed remains of its victims are often the only evidence of a Bearsharktopus on the prowl.

Bearsharktopi are tireless trackers, combining a shark's sense of smell with a bear's endurance and tenacity.

Combat
In combat Bearsharktopi are relentless foes, fighting until either them or their prey is dead. They prefer to crush the nearest target in a tentacular bearhug while they tear at them with their vicious teeth.

Blindsense (Ex):
A bearsharktopus can locate creatures underwater within a 30-foot radius. This ability works only when the shark is underwater.

Keen Scent (Ex):
A bearsharktopus can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.

Constrict (Ex):
A bearsharktopus deals 2d8+6 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Regeneration (Ex):
Fire and acid deal normal damage to a bearsharktopus. If a bearsharktopus loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes.

Improved Grab (Ex):
To use this ability, a bearsharktopus must hit an opponent of any size with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Skills:
A bearsharktopus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

-------------------------------------------------------

I found this picture and thought that it needed stats. I am going to inflict it upon a party in the near future. Enjoy.:smallbiggrin:

Latronis
2010-02-06, 06:14 AM
looks good at a perusal.

Except it really shouldn't be an animal.

Magical Beast at the least.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-06, 06:18 AM
I can't comment on the stats, but yoink. This will make that upcoming storm of the Mage's Guild so much more interesting :smallbiggrin:

starwoof
2010-02-06, 06:34 AM
Make sure you tell me how that goes.:smallbiggrin:

I made it a magical beast.

Debihuman
2010-02-06, 06:56 AM
Combat stats seem off. Magical Beast has a BAB +8 (same as a Fighter) not +6, Size is -1 and Str bonus is +8.

Melee attacks should be +15.

Debby

Golden-Esque
2010-02-06, 10:11 AM
First thing I thought of when I clicked on this thread, "God, I hope he has some kind of picture for this." Thank you for not disappointing me :smallbiggrin:.

DracoDei
2010-02-06, 11:18 AM
I assume that the fact that you have 3 "halves" is intentional humor?

Kiren
2010-02-06, 11:49 AM
You win a internet!

boomwolf
2010-02-06, 11:54 AM
This thing just might be the most disturbing thing I have EVER seen. EVER.

And that means alot, because I'm in the army yaknow.

Baron Corm
2010-02-06, 12:04 PM
Bearsharktopi. Kekeke. Why is a group of them called a Shiver?

Yora
2010-02-06, 01:03 PM
Manbearpig!!!

http://www.popsucker.net/images/popsucker/manbearpig.jpg

DracoDei
2010-02-06, 01:48 PM
Manbearpig!!!

http://www.popsucker.net/images/popsucker/manbearpig.jpg
Someone did that for one of Vorpal Tribbles contests... probably the same one he used the same picture from the original post for.

starwoof
2010-02-06, 04:36 PM
Combat stats seem off. Magical Beast has a BAB +8 (same as a Fighter) not +6, Size is -1 and Str bonus is +8.

Melee attacks should be +15.

Debby

That's what I get for editing a creature at 4 am. :P Fixed, thank you.

Three make a whole!:smalltongue:

A group of sharks is called a shiver. I suppose I could call a group of them Shiverslouthetopi.:smallbiggrin:

Cheers everyone.

CTLC
2010-02-06, 04:46 PM
what do you call baby bearsharktopi?

starwoof
2010-02-06, 04:51 PM
Larval Bearsharktopus Cubpup.

Schylerwalker
2010-02-06, 05:32 PM
First of all, I disbelieve that it's a magical beast. I say aberration! Secondly, I think it should have an ability called Abomination. Any who behold the horror that is the Bearsharktopus must make a Will save (DC 12) or be paralyzed with sheer horror for 1d4 rounds!

Edit: Oh, and the bite attack should have a +10 to attack. Not having Multiattack only gives a -5 to your secondary attacks.

Edit: And it should actually have 84 hp. :smalltongue:

Latronis
2010-02-06, 05:54 PM
I think they should be called

Ursharktopi!

DracoDei
2010-02-06, 06:00 PM
A group of sharks is called a shiver. I suppose I could call a group of them Shiverslouthetopi.
Does that incorporate the communal nouns for bears and octopi?

DrakebloodIV
2010-02-06, 06:11 PM
Can I recommend that you make a Minodraceetahydrider

Minotaur+Dragon+Cheetah+Hydra+Spider

Head and Wings of a Dragon + Horns of a bull + Torso, Lungs and Hips of a Cheetah + Multiple heads like a Hydra + Multiple Legs & spinnerets like a spider.

Yeah, thats some well aged cheese.

Magnor Criol
2010-02-06, 06:20 PM
Starwoof, you win so very much :D

Aside from the average hp being very slightly off (8*5.5 + 40 = 84) and you putting an erroneous apostrophe in the description paragraph ("...remains of it's victims...") this looks great. I think my wizard's going to figure out how to make a couple to guard his estate just for the WTF factor. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-02-06, 06:21 PM
I think I saw this brought up a few months ago.

At the time, I suggested they look like minions of Demogorgon- fur & tentacles.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-06, 06:35 PM
Amusing. Now for a quick note about grammar and etymology. Octopus is from Greek, not Latin. So the plural isn't "Octopus" it is either "Octopuses" or "Octopodes." See here (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutgrammar/plurals). Thus, more than one Bearshaktopus may be "bearsharktopodes" although "Bearsharktopuses" is also reasonable.

Zeta Kai
2010-02-06, 07:00 PM
For the record, the Bearsharktopus was first brought up in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130157).

Debihuman
2010-02-06, 07:01 PM
Shiversleuthtopuses? You can have a a shiver of sharks, a sleuth of bears, but unfortunately, there is no collective form of octopuses. "Octopi "is referenced second in most dictionaries, so it appears that "octopuses" is the preferred plural. Just thought I'd mention it.

Also, standard AC is wrong; it should be 17. (-1, +2 Dex, +6 natural) . Touch and Flat-footed are correct.

Debby

Lord Loss
2010-02-06, 07:26 PM
Kudos to you! For the record, I'll be springing this on a low-lvl party in the near future in my aberration-controlled campaign world, to make them fully understand the Horror of the world. They will probbly be forced to flee. I will be changing their creature type to Aberration. And yes, the AC should be 17 (error originally mentioned by DebiHuman) .

ArcanistSupreme
2010-02-07, 06:57 PM
Bearsharktopus=Pure Win

Watch out, my players...

starwoof
2010-02-07, 07:27 PM
I think I've got all my terrible math out of the first post.:smallbiggrin: Thanks.

Zexion
2010-02-08, 12:09 AM
It's still an animal, albeit a mashed-up one.

Mikka
2010-02-08, 12:21 AM
I'd like to see a Cheetasaur :D

Temotei
2010-02-08, 12:22 AM
I'd like to see a Cheetasaur :D

That's tame. :smallcool:

Add a turtle and we're in the money. Maybe, just for good measure, we can add a hawk to that. Or maybe a blue jay. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-08, 04:27 AM

Add a turtle and we're in the money. Maybe, just for good measure, we can add a hawk to that. Or maybe a blue jay. :smallbiggrin:

Make it a Blue Turteetahpotamus Rex and you've got a deal.

Edit:

Anyone wanna make a Crocoduck (http://wolfsden.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/crocoduck.jpg)? Maybe as a swarm?

Leeham
2010-02-09, 03:54 PM
Why'd it take like, 10 posts for this to get any kind of "wtf" reaction?

Ashtagon
2010-02-09, 05:51 PM
Why'd it take like, 10 posts for this to get any kind of "wtf" reaction?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130157

Maybe because it had already been done?

starwoof
2010-02-09, 07:47 PM
Now we have multiple versions!

I really want to stat the crocoduck but I just don't have time right now...

Demented
2010-02-09, 07:55 PM
Maybe because it had already been done?

More likely because this is the Homebrew Design forum. If you can stat it, this forum has seen it.

arguskos
2010-02-09, 11:04 PM
More likely because this is the Homebrew Design forum. If you can stat it, this forum has seen it.
We've seen things man was not meant to know... :smalleek: afro, I'm looking at you :p

Masaioh
2010-02-09, 11:08 PM
This. Is. AWESOME.

Flickerdart
2010-02-09, 11:19 PM
We've seen things man was not meant to know... :smalleek: afro, I'm looking at you :p
When you stare into the Abyss, sometimes you want to stat it out.

arguskos
2010-02-09, 11:28 PM
And he does so with anomalous frequency. Hellstar anyone?

TabletopNuke
2010-02-10, 05:53 PM
First of all, I disbelieve that it's a magical beast. I say aberration!

I respectfully disagree. The time-honored tradition of Monster Manuals is making weird animal mash-ups into magical beasts. Think of the pegasi (horse + bird) and gryphons (eagle + lion)! What about the owlbear (owl + bear)? Displacer beast (anorexic purple cat + squid)? Sea cat (fish + lion)? Even the hydra (lizard+ snake + snake + snake + snake + snake + snake + snake [and possibly + snake + snake + snake + snake + snake]).

The exception to this rule is creatures with an arthropod component, and even that isn't absolute. While the drider (drow + spider) is an aberration, the aranea (humanoid + spider) is not (I'm not sure why this is).

Best thing I've heard all day. That's gotta be the nightmare fuel homebrewers' mantra. Can I use that quote?

Solaris
2010-02-10, 07:13 PM

And then the world ends.

TabletopNuke
2010-02-10, 09:30 PM
And then the world ends.
I found a (pretty good) picture on FurAffinity of a elf/demon/blue jay monster that actually looked quite intimidating. Think about a blue jay's features: pointy beak, claws. Now make it 8 feet tall.

Latronis
2010-02-10, 10:01 PM
I don't suppose anyone has ever seen a.. Leech\bear hybrid type thing?

Would be useful for stats for a monster i created for a friend