PDA

View Full Version : (DnD 4e) Help me fit into my group

Vitruviansquid
2010-02-06, 07:54 AM
I have a bit of a dilemma. My 5 man group just started a campaign today at level 1 and our first session was actually pretty good. Nobody ever got close to dying and, for the most part, we cranked through the encounters pretty fast.

However, we all rolled our characters without having given much thought as to how we would synergize or interact with the other characters. As a result, our party came out:

(Me) Tactical Warlord
Valor Bard
Protecting Paladin
Some manner of Dark pact Warlock
Some manner of Orb Wizard

Personally, I just don't feel like the Tactical Warlord is as effective as he could be in this situation. Things like Commander's Strike isn't really useful when the other melee users in the group don't have good melee basic attacks and positioning seems to hardly matter to me because, while flanking for combat advantage is nice, we really don't have a melee striker that would really benefit.

So if I were to completely and totally reroll my character, what kind of classes might I want to roll that would synergize with my group? I'm told it's traditional for 5-man groups to double up on the striker roll, but I'd also be good with playing a defender or leader. I would, furthermore, vastly prefer to play a melee character than a ranged character.

In any case, I'm limited to only having information from PHB, PHB2, Martial Power, and Arcane power for rolling my character.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 08:05 AM
Instead of doing it off the table you could always follow through with this character for a little before giving an in character reason for your wizard to leave in character. Then you can reroll a character to your hearts content.

Mordokai
2010-02-06, 08:07 AM
Rageblood barbarian is ton of fun to play. Ok, I'm playing one that's level 16, but you gotta start somewhere. If you'd like to play melee striker, barbarian is usually a good pick.

Dwarven two weapon ranger can dish out ton of damage as well. Or half orc, for better abilities. If you're feeling wacky, warforged.

RebelRogue
2010-02-06, 08:34 AM
As someone currently playing a Level 1 Taclord as well, I agree that there's not too much to work with in your group. Your best bet is following the paladin around with a longspear or halberd (I'd say a reach weapon is almost mandatory for a taclord) and trying to help him out, but as a Protecting paladin, his basic attack to hit is probably not so good (unless he's taken Melee Training - something he should seriously consider if you want to make your role work).

The group I'm currently playing in has much better synergy: a Tempest Fighter,
and a Predator Druid to aid in melee and an Orbizard and a Crossbow Rogue (with Distant Advantage) as ranged backup. We'll include a Unity Avenger for next session, which meshes well with our tactics so far.

BTW: now, we're at it, I miss good Utility 2 powers for Taclords (I'm about to level). Any suggestions with the party above in mind?

Artanis
2010-02-06, 12:00 PM
I have a bit of a dilemma. My 5 man group just started a campaign today at level 1 and our first session was actually pretty good. Nobody ever got close to dying and, for the most part, we cranked through the encounters pretty fast.

However, we all rolled our characters without having given much thought as to how we would synergize or interact with the other characters. As a result, our party came out:

(Me) Tactical Warlord
Valor Bard
Protecting Paladin

Lessee...

You currently have more Leaders and Controllers than you can shake a stick at, one Defender, and ****-all for firepower. So going just by a party-role perspective, I'd say go with a DPR-focused Fighter. Maybe a Defender-slanted Barbarian, but they tend to soak up a lot of the party's healing.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-06, 12:04 PM
I've always felt that it's better to have multiple Strikers than anything else, and since you have the rest already, that's what you should probably take. Your other striker is ranged, so a melee striker (with some defender flavor?) would fit in very well. The strikers that are best at staying alive are Avenger (really high defenses) and Barbarian (really high hit points), both from PHB2. Melee rangers are also very good, and a Rogue may also work.

DabblerWizard
2010-02-06, 12:07 PM

(Me) Tactical Warlord
Valor Bard
Protecting Paladin

Personally, I just don't feel like the Tactical Warlord is as effective as he could be in this situation. Things like Commander's Strike isn't really useful when the other melee users in the group don't have good melee basic attacks and positioning seems to hardly matter to me because, while flanking for combat advantage is nice, we really don't have a melee striker that would really benefit.

So if I were to completely and totally reroll my character, what kind of classes might I want to roll that would synergize with my group? I'm told it's traditional for 5-man groups to double up on the striker roll, but I'd also be good with playing a defender or leader. I would, furthermore, vastly prefer to play a melee character than a ranged character.

In any case, I'm limited to only having information from PHB, PHB2, Martial Power, and Arcane power for rolling my character.

Let's see.

Warlock - striker.
Wizard - controller.
Paladin - defender.
Bard - leader.
Your character: currently a warlord - leader

As far as the rest of your group is concerned, the classes they have chosen are fairly archetypal in terms of character roll, except for the Warlock, of course. You'd need a rogue striker to make it even more standard.

In any case, considering the choices they've made, I would say that you have a chance to play pretty much whatever you want.

Since it's 4e, the chances of you NOT synergizing with your group seem small. If you chose the exact same race/class as another of your compatriots, then maybe you'd have a problem: 2 blaster wizards, for instance. Otherwise, have a ball.

potatocubed
2010-02-06, 12:09 PM
With your current setup you're pretty safe from attack - two leaders, a controller and a defender - but before long you'll really start to notice the lack of damage output. (That's pretty much the setup for my first 4e group, and that's what we noticed.)

I second the recommendation for a damage-focussed fighter. This has the added advantage that if your GM allows it you could just keep your character and respec him 'behind the scenes' as it were. Same guy, different powers.

Kylarra
2010-02-06, 12:23 PM
Yeah I was thinking fighter with an emphasis towards damage as well. Everyone not the paladin is ranged, so your combat superiority will come in handy.

Sinon
2010-02-06, 02:21 PM
This is all highly circumstantial. It depends on the players and the types of opponents you face, but sometimes, two defenders can kinda step on each other’s toes.

The paladin marks a guy, then you hit him, do you override his mark? If you do does that annoy him?What if you don't and then miss out on your free basic attacks?

I would probably go with a melee striker if it were me.

Artanis
2010-02-06, 02:55 PM
This is all highly circumstantial. It depends on the players and the types of opponents you face, but sometimes, two defenders can kinda step on each other’s toes.

The paladin marks a guy, then you hit him, do you override his mark? If you do does that annoy him?What if you don't and then miss out on your free basic attacks?

I would probably go with a melee striker if it were me.

That's why I suggested a DPR-focused Fighter. He spends plenty of time just making things die, but can give a hand to the Paladin if need be.

Altima
2010-02-06, 03:05 PM
Is there any particular race you would like to play or are adversed to playing as? What race is your warlord, in case your DM will simply allow you to retrain off-table?

Personally, I vote for Swordmage, as they do well as a secondary defender, especially the Shield and Ensnaring versions.

After that, probably barbarian. If you're worried about taking damage, maybe rageblood and longtooth shifter.

ocato
2010-02-06, 06:02 PM
Well, with an Orb Wizard, you're looking at some pretty sweet control-- aka lots of helpless and/or CA-granting enemies. The Valor bard will be loaning out lots of bonuses to melee attacks/damage, and you have enough melee in the party (Bard and Paladin) to get lots of flanking done.

The Rogue is a fine choice if you want to play a striker with some flair, especially if the party has some skill holes (though the bard should be able to fill that slot pretty effectively). Enjoy moving around, laying down some minor control (in the form of slides, blinding, and several other tricks), and dealing precise single hits.

If you'd rather not be another squishy in a party that looks awfully soft, I'd have to second the call for a Rageblood Barbarian. The high damage output lends to the view that you're a viable target and the constitution focus makes for reasonable back-up defending. A Goliath or Warforged Rageblood Barbarian can withstand a pretty gruesome amount of punishment (thanks to high AC with Hide Armor Expertise, racial powers that lend survivability, and a wad of HP to be envied). The Paladin and Bard will lend plenty of flanking and melee attack bonuses so that you'll be pretty safe swinging for the fences with a big power-attacking two-hander.

Artanis
2010-02-06, 06:25 PM
Hide Armor Expertise is in Primal Power, which he said he can't use.

Shardan
2010-02-06, 06:43 PM
Two handed weapon fighter sounds like a good fit. a second defender, but also pretty good at damage

ocato
2010-02-06, 07:56 PM
Hide Armor Expertise is in Primal Power, which he said he can't use.

I overlooked that, sorry. However, people played Barbarians before it came out. It's still a perfectly viable option.

greenknight
2010-02-06, 10:54 PM
From what I can see, you aren't too badly off for combat ability (you could maybe do with another melee combatant), but your party seems to be really lacking in skills, particularly things like Perception.

What I'd suggest is you create a Deva Panther Shaman. That allows you to cover some good Wisdom and Intelligence skills (with huge boosts from Speak with Spirits and Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes), provides some useful melee via your Spirit Companion, and you can still provide some healing.

Vitruviansquid
2010-02-07, 03:26 AM
Update: I've decided I'll be rolling a Great Weapon fighter. I figure it gives me the best of both worlds by being a heavy(ish) hitter and, at the same time, being able to quell my teammates' anxiety about lack about healing by being a big steel wall between the enemies and the squishy members of the group (actually, she'll be a 16 year old, 120 pound girl, but due to the fact that physical dimensions have no bearing on stats, she'll have 18+ strength at start :smallsmile:)