PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Homebrew race: The Grays [MANGO]

Volug
2010-02-06, 11:41 AM
Tired of peaches.

Still in progress (very close to finishing race stats, just need more outside input), looking to get more opinions on this. There's a lot, most of it is just for more flavor for those who want it. I just suggest skimming, I highly doubt anyone wants to read the whole thing through (I haven't, in one sitting anyway). I am also looking to run a campaign with this race, those interested might want to take a look at the campaign setting down at the bottom.

This is my first serious homebrew. I had an idea for the race about 3 years ago. A month or two later, the idea for the campaign setting came in a dream, just like all my other ideas pretty much story wise. So this has been on my mind for awhile, I haven't thought about making it into a DnD campaign/race until this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzU65aPZDnc) came out as a single from my favorite band. I was kinda blown away by the song, not only was it completely awesome, but it fit what I currently have for the race (I freeform roleplay on these boards with 2, they aren't completely accurate to this version however). So the song inspired me to make an actual DnD race, using the story idea that came into my mind as well. Hasn't got too busy since about a month ago, however.

Now to the actual race. Which at the moment looks a lot like fluff, maybe. I can get more in detail when needed.

The Grays
"Young ones, don't forget... I'm not one for inspiring speeches, but alone all we can hope to accomplish is our eventual demise. Together, we can rule worlds."
-Juno, Gray Patriarch

The Grays are a peculiar and war-like race. They consider themselves intelligent animals before humanoids. Probably because when they are born, they are 100% wolf, intelligence and all. Slowly as they age (on rare occasions, almost instantly) they gain greater and more humanoid intelligence and eventually their innate magical abilities to shapeshift into a human-looking form. Because of what they are, they are very territorial, and they have a greater ability to build upon and defend that territory. When at War, the Grays are savage and unforgiving, male, female, young, or old. In times if peace they put their more humanoid skills to work, crafting all sorts of things, paying tribute to their ancestors by painting or writing poems and songs. To the Grays, their history, and legends of their previous generations and creations of their ancestors mean everything to them. A Gray who rejects this, isn't a Gray anymore, 99% of the time.

They are usually on the tall side, their human form ranges from high 5 footers to mid range 6 footers. Their human form also has some distinguishing attributes, their teeth are more canine, their ears ARE canine, and they tend to have a bigger build (more muscles, usually...)

In wolf form (which from birth, they'll only have this form for 5-20 years). Their wolf form will be about the size of an average wolf, just a bit bigger. Their eyes may differ slightly as well from regular wolves.

They live to about 290, hardly ever passed 305 years. Their aging varies widely however, some may be 20 before they start to grow out of their pup forms. Some may appear to be young childs, but they have an older mindset, their body just hasn't caught up yet. It all comes together at the same rate around 80 years to 100.

- +2 Str, +2 Wis
- 40 feet base speed, 50 feet in wolf form
- Darkvision 60ft
- +2 spot, +2 listen, +2 survival
- Shapeshifting (to wolf/human form only).
- Automatic feats: Improved natural attack (bite)
- Wolf Attributes: Scent, Tracking, Improved Trip
- Human form has bite attack at -1 weapon size then natural wolf form
- Cannot become proficient with any sort of modern human made weapon (guns)
- Not automatically proficient with weapons or armor of any kind (can gain proficiency feats for simple weapons/armor)
- Cannot read or write
- +2 Natural armor Human, +3 wolf

Shapeshifting forms is a free action, but cannot be done again for 1d4 minutes. In a Human to wolf shape shift, SIMPLE clothing will be "absorbed", but held items won't be, nor will armor or anything overly large. In transforming back to human, the clothes reappear where they were on the person before.

Automatic languages: Common, Gray
Favored Class: See Class choices near the bottom before Campaign setting

(Below has all hit dice configurations already in, use as is)
Hit Dice: 2d10
+2 BAB
+2 FORT/Reflex, +0 Will
1st level feat
Skill points, 4+INT mod*5
Race Skills: Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature, geography), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival

Mostly what I am looking for is how can I improve what I have above. I'm aiming for a starting ECL of 5, though 6 seems un-avoidable in some respects.
Below will be all the flavor text. Although a large portion of Religion is especially important as it contains a sort of "race variant", which I am wondering if that's fitting of a level adjustment of 0.

*On Names*
Occasionally they are named after a prominent physical attribute, though normally their names are of some variety (not as much as humans). They tend to be 5 or less, sometimes 6 or less letters. I'm not too good with them, so if I get too specific with them I hit a road block.

And apologies if this isn't as smooth of reading as I could have made it out to be. There's a lot, spent awhile just typing it up much less reading over it all again.

Religion, Patriarchs/Liahonna
"I didn't ask for this, but my friends, my family, they are all counting on me to keep them safe. To know that they are happy is enough to keep me smiling." -Nina, Gray Liahonna
A Gray doesn't care much for the Gods, and never has or will bother with them most likely. A Gray is more focused on their ancestors spirits, whom they believe guide and strengthen them with their abilities. The Grays get their innate magical abilities through their ancestors, and a sort of spiritual/divine(ish) power. A Gray who loses this power, usually has his soul drain away, until he dies (which is essentially cutting the soul off from the body, which results in eventual death anyway).

A few special Grays have a greater ability to channel and speak with the souls of their ancestors. These Grays are known as Patriarchs, and are usually the only spell casters present out of the whole Gray race (usually a cleric). Females have the exact same chance to gain this power as the males are, but they are known as Liahonna.

A Gray Patriarch is rare, but a necessity in order for the Gray race to continue. They are law and tradition enforcers, constantly remind their brothers and sisters to not stray from the right path, or they will be lost completely. Gray Patriarchs are always born during the Gray ceremony, taking place on the first full moon of January, the Wolf Moon. This ceremony is a whole day dedicated to worship and giving praise to previous Gray generations. Those born with the Patriarchtical power usually get some physical defects along with it. Most common is not gaining sight, yet this is considered a good sign for a powerful and influential Patriarch. This is because they believe by not being able to see, they aren't attached to the physical world as much and can gaze much more easily into the "spirit realm", and strengthening their spiritual connections. Even Grays born healthy with the ability but no obvious initial signs of becoming a Patriarch, start with very little ability, though it can still grow into full.

There is always at least 1 fully fledged patriarch, 2 of any kind is very rare, over that is almost un-heard of. However, if they have no patriarch, or the current one is close to death... They make plans to try to get as many cubs born on the ceremony day as possible, and if there is one born with patriarch abilities, yet is not blind, they take out their eyes. This is because they wish to have this one grow into his life long position as fast as possible, for fear of losing connection with their ancestors. Whether or not the eye gouging is necessary, it can't really be said as they have never really tried it the other way.

Young Patriarchs usually gain intelligence much quicker then normal, some of the time this isn't really a good thing. Sometimes they don't want to do this, they want to do what they wish to do. If this is the case, running away is not un-common, though getting them back is the Gray's first priority. Regardless, life as a young Patriarch is a lonely, quiet life. Most of the time he is kept under the watch of 1 trusted body guard, who isn't allowed to speak with him at all until he gains his full potential as a Patriarch. If there is another Patriarch around though, they become trainers, teaching the younger one how to accomplish what he was born to do. This duty as a Patriarch is a life long bond, as a young one ages into this forced profession, it completely takes over their life, and he no longer feels his own desires or has a sense of self. In a way, this can be seen as cruel, taking away their wants and forcing them to life a rather dull childhood... But as they age, they are quite happy and content with what they do, helping their family, it just takes awhile to get used to at first.

Their personalities change with whatever occasion arises. If there is an argument or dispute, the Patriarch may serve as an emotionless mediator and judge, offering fair decisions and agreements. In times of peace he is possibly the most welcoming and kind out of all the grays to foreigners of any kind. In times of war, they stay back, becoming strategists, relying on the wisdom of the Grays of old that he can speak with to help him. If the ancestors are ever displeased with anything, the Patriarch shares that anger, often also bringing terrible storms to their lands as warning. He has few emotions of his own, everything he says and thinks is linked to the desires of the Gray Ancestors. Due to this link, they often spend many days alone, traveling to specific places of interest, often highly spiritual for the Gray people.

Since this type of Gray varies significantly from the normal one, they don't use the normal Gray Level adjustments and abilities. This is for fully fledged Patriarchs/Liahonna. Even if they were born healthy, as long as they have trained and lived long enough to become a fully fledged Patriarch/Liahonna, they will lose some of their previous power, but gain some in return.

- +2 Wise and INT, -2 STR
- 20ft speed Human Form
- 30ft Speed Wolf form
- Permanent Blindness
- Blind sight 30 feet
- +2 listen
- Able to scry as a free action on any portion of Gray land (No need of any components) Must be in meditation, takes up to an hour for scrying to take effect. After that they can't scry again for 1d6+2 days(?)

Favored Class: Cleric

Personality

"We aren't all about killin', some of the time." -Jaws Nighthoard, member of Nighthoard pack

(Most of it is general ideas about how they are as a whole, each one has different personalities just like any other person)

Grays are prideful of their ancestors, and that's an understatement. The grays live to live up to the accomplishments of previous generations, as well as living to make future generations even more proud of their accomplishments for the good of the pack and family. The Grays are like a large family, they are completely trusting of each other, although many rivalries may pop up, (almost) none are based on hatred toward each other. Just the desire of competition, and to prove themselves stronger or better, which is quite common among them anyways.

Among themselves they behave towards each other like any brother or sister would to each other. Playful (without crossing any lines) teasing may occur. Pups, children, wrestling and rough housing are common. In this sort of environment, their more unique personalities tend to show instead of the stereotypes listed below.

In times of war, 90% of them show their more savage side for most of the day, they will be quicker to anger and cannot be calmed easily. Their trust in everything besides themselves and their people plummets, those trespassing on their lands will literally be thrown out, generally over a cliff if one is nearby. Unless you have met with them on previous occasions and earned their trust, you might have a chance to be allowed in depending on your relations to the Gray who finds you first. However, to those who they are at war with, or even just the same race, should not even expect a "bite first ask questions later", much less, questions or any sort of negotiations period. The grays will not give one ounce of respect to their enemy, or mercy, expect a more "kill first, and tear them apart just in case" treatment. The Grays won't consider war to be over until their enemy is dead, women and children especially ("Can't let the enemy reproduce, can't let their 'pups' grow up harboring an unnatural hatred, and thoughts of revenge towards us, slaughter them all." - Sonia Thunderfoot, Gray Chieftess of Thunderfoot pack).

War for them still isn't pleasant. Most eventually get rather depressed about all of it, despite their continual eagerness to bring victory to their race. They continually try to keep themselves a bit happier by throwing over elaborate celebrations after even the smallest of victories. Every other night some sit around the fire and either tell stories they've heard or made, or share some other form of writing or even craftsmanship.

In peaceful times the Grays are much more calmer. They don't mind people coming into their lands, and Grays who are talkative enough will even boast about the accomplishments his ancestors have done (the land itself does this from the Grays elaborate monuments scattered around). Grays will highly appreciate comments about these stories or monuments, and is a definite way to get on their good side at first. However constant chatter or praise will begin to annoy some.

Some Grays will also not take too kindly to stranger, being slightly rude, overly inquisitive about why this stranger is walking around on their land, and easily annoyed. They still will never attack, unless provoked or they get a very very good reason to do so. Fortunately the friendlier ones will outnumber the grouchy ones, and while they like to tell stories about their race, they do love to hear more about how other people live and their stories.

Generally after the initial encounter upon walking in a few miles into their lands, they mostly leave people alone if they wish, unless they cause disturbances or they wander upon a pack village.

Alignment
"I don't call it sitting on the fence, in a way we just re-built the fence so it goes around us." Nephi Red-Dawn, member of the Red Dawn pack

Most of the Grays tend to stick with a true neutral alignment. They are strictly held together by their rules and tradition, while they can easily turn savage and unpredictable once the situation presents itself. Grays look after each other, they all are family. In times of peace they can become very good friends and extremely loyal allies, while showing great respect as long as it is also given to them. To their enemies they are ruthless, merciless, and cruel. To which, they grays are mostly true neutral as a whole. There are those more savage then normal, and there are defiantly those who enforce and look after laws and traditions more then just regularly (A Patriarch or Liahonna does this 24/7). Same goes for Grays who will help a GOOD cause for free, or those overly prideful and hateful of other races.

Lands

"We won't forget what was done by our fore-fathers and mothers, they deserve all this praise. We still make constant reminders, just in case." -Elayn Firelight, member of Firelight pack

Grays have their main city built by, into, and on a mountain/cliff side. There they build an overly large and artistic city. Many tributes to the past heroes and victories are carved into walls or made into stone statues. These structures are built to be a prominent eye catcher to all who enter. Their territory lies around this city for quite a few miles, depending on how crowded the world is. Many villages reside there, which are never as extravagant and is mostly compared of movable tents and almost never has a permanent structure. The residents of that village, all together are considered a pack (usually having a unique pack name). Depending on the size of population and territory there will be more packs. Scatter acrossed the land will also be large monuments/statues, or in a cave there will be pictures showing a battle, person, or an accomplishment/story of sorts. These were built by grays as a tribute to their ancestor's success. Grays don't usually inhabit those areas, mostly keeping them peaceful and solitary. While there, they keep silent and respectful.

The area as a whole usually has both plains and a forest. In some campaign settings they could make their land in a desert. If the area is mountainous enough they can be living in cold, high, mountain caves or occasionally caverns. If their land is big enough, they can have all of these things in there as well. For basics though, they need enough land to move where there is food, as they usually hunt for it. The only kind of farming they'd have is just raising cow/pigs and other livestock to kill, and then eat.

Chiefs and "the law"
"Do what they say, don't be disrespectful, and you'll be fine." -Jeram Silverfang, Silverfang Chieftain

The Grays don't have much of a political system, their law system is mostly just moral rights and wrongs. If there is any disputes major enough the current patriarch usually serves as a mediator, whatever he says, goes. As through him, their ancestors speak.

The more common bosses of the social order however would have to be the pack chiefs, usually male. Each pack has one, he usually oversees what is going on in a pack and the area around it. The chief is in charge of protecting/patrolling the surrounding area, resolving conflicts, issues, punishments when needed, essentially everything the patriarch does but on smaller scale. The Chief is still highly expected to throw his weight around and do some actual helping work, not just say a bunch of words. He can ask people to serve on guard duty, and patrol, but is also expected to do the same thing just as much if not more then everyone else. Some who take this position too seriously occasionally die from overwork if no one stops them.

Concerning crime, they take very short yet harsh decisions. If someone is caught stealing, their finger is cut off. If they excessivly insult someone or just have a dirty mouth in general they are warned once, do it again and their tongue is ripped out (It's ripped out without question if they insult the patriarch or their ancestors). If one commits adultry or rape... You can imagine what would be missing once the chief finds out.

For pups they just use humiliation, which is usually just shaving their fur off. Their friends will tease them, laugh at them, and they'll feel as if the whole world is coming to an end. It usually sets them straight and normally they won't commit another disturbance or wrong doing for a long while. Adults who keep at childish things, or continually act like one in general may get the same punishment until they grow up.

Going against them is usually a challenge for dominance, and that challenge or duel is usually done on the spot. In a way this is how to become a pack Chief. Beating the Chief in a duel of strength. The victor however has to be approved by other Chiefs from other packs, even if the same one has won the fight. Chiefs can also pass on the title when they grow old to someone who they think deserves it.

Language
"*Bark* *Tail wag*" - Hopper Red-Dawn, excited pup (at lunch time) of the Red Dawn pack

Grays have no unique spoken language. Their racial language is just a form of body language, and sign language. The Gray language doesn't have a written form with an alphabet, they just use pictures. The language can go from gestures that anyone can recognize to more complicated and subtle movements that mean different things depending on the situation and who is giving them. With such a system things can often get mis-interpreted with extended "conversations". So the language is just used for quick commands, trying to get a point acrossed, or emotion (intentional or not).

Grays who are close and know each other quite well (usually mates) can use the language as a form of physical telepathy, maybe it's their magical abilities that help them accomplish this.

Common is used as a spoken languages, and usually for anything outside a quick greeting.

Relations
"Respect my elders, and I'll respect you." - Seth Goldeneye, traveling Gray mercenary of the Goldeneye pack

They are initially friendly or neutral to most other countries. When at war it simply is changed to "Stay away" to all, except for close allies. Becoming an ally to the Grays would be a good idea, they don't like to betray their friends and will avoid it unless they have a good reason to do so. Betraying the Grays would also be insulting them, and well just cause more war.

To Goblins, Ogres, and other monsters. They make it clear to them to stay out of their way, as they will kill any who wander into their territory. Enough annoyances then they just send out troops to just get rid of all currently in the area. They are especially hating of the undead, which they view as a mockery of the next life that they treasure and worship so very much.

It isn't uncommon for a Gray to get more curious about the outside world. As long as their Chief and fellow pack members agree they are free to go as they please (usually solo, but there is an occasional group). As long as they agree to 1) Be respectful to others 2) Remember that they represent the entire Gray nation 3) Check in regularly, delivering news of outside world, and just to make sure you are still breathing. Occasionally one is called to do this sort of work when needed, usually just for knowledge and information on the outside world.

Mercenary work isn't uncommon in traveling Grays, while a few don't mind offering their abilities for free... It's paying the Grays who want some sort of thing out of it, is the hard part. To them money has zero value, they don't need it, they don't use it. While they may need some if they stick around outside of their lands for long enough, it'll still take a hefty sum of gold to catch their interest. Artifacts of sorts usually do a better job.

Population problems
The Grays can have 3, to even 5 pups at once, not to mention a short pregnancy. With a very long life you'd think they'd be very over populated. Well, that's not USUALLY the case.

The birth rate is terrible, while at this point the mother may be strong enough to not die while giving birth, the pups may not have as good of a chance. Hardly ever is more then 3 born at once from the same mother and survive, it's usually just 1 or 2. And if any normal pups are born with strange birth defects (shrunken limbs, mental retardation), they are killed, usually by the parents of all people. They don't want any "bad apples" to grow up and just be a hindrance to everyone. If they can't support themselves, they can't live in their society.

In war the Grays also don't like to retreat, the last one will still be blindly fighting for his people. There are other reasons, like banishment... Though most of those others would be somewhat self explanatory.

Done with the flavor, on with the class choices.

Barbarian: A good pick, it fits many quite well.

Bard: Class usually taken by the Grays who are more artistic, writting songs, poems, about the battles of ages long passed that his/her ancestors fought.

Cleric: Class is usually taken by Patriarchs, or Liahonna. They don't assosiate with a god, just for the cause of their people.

Druid: They can shapechange already, most just go Ranger

Rogue: A few Grays take this class, mostly "spies" or those who spend a lot of time out of gray lands associating with other countries.

Ranger: A not to common class, mostly just for expert hunters who see hunting as a sport rather then just getting dinner

Paladin: No Gray would put even the law or goodness before their duty to their ancestors

Spell casters in general: Many don't like to bother with this, in fact, all usually don't want to bother with spells. They'd rather be using their fangs.

Finally... For those interested, I have a campaign idea I'd like to start and share. Though this isn't nearly as important as the above. First and foremost I want to see how I can improve or better the racial starting stats/HD, aiming for a ECL of 5 here. And just how they look in general, I'm not too terribly good at this, though can't say much as this is my first time.

*cough* Starting with basic basic campaign info.

Campaign

Setting
This campaign is a more futuristic/modern setting. The only notable races would be Humans and the Grays. The humans live in their rather large city, savaging what resources they can scavenge (think FFVII Midgar, perhaps?).

Most of the outside world is wasteland, any animal alive out there would be struggling to survive. Along with them, the Grays try to continue living. Food is scarce for them, and their numbers growing thinner as birth rates plummet, and murders continue. Their city lies hidden from the humans, and their only 2 packs currently live there (Packs of Stormbringer and Moon Wolf, with the exception of the single surviving gray of the Goldensun pack).

Hatred between the 2 races run deep. The Grays are irritated they can't just attack the humans, but they outnumber the grays population 1 to almost 5 thousand. Even though the human population is dying off faster from the "end-of-the-world".

The Grays have instead sent small squads to sneak into the large human city, which isn't all that hard as there is a lot of city to go around. There they spy, kill when needed, and steal food for their own needs. They plan to destroy them from the shadows this time rather then in the open.

Important NPCs

Ari, Gray Patriarch
Ari went blind at the age of six. He was found to have the ability of a Patriarch and put under the care of the current one, Juno, who was getting on in his years. The massacre of the last remaining forest under the Grays land was destroyed in almost an instant. With so many dead at once, just simply sensing this tragedy killed Juno, and almost killed Ari, who instead remained in a coma for 2 weeks. When he woke up, his sight was gone.

Ari has been very quiet through his years, yet kind and almost never angry. As the last few packs who didn't live in the forest, now grouped together in the only Gray settlement left, he's been trying to be a bit more open. He often gives any advice he can to each and everyone of his brothers and sisters, he doesn't want to see anyone die, and grieves perhaps too much when one does.

He spends most of his time alone in wolf form meditating, when conversing he adopts his human form. His hair and fur are silver (patriarchs usually have "shiny" colored fur), his eyes stone white, and his skin unnaturally pale. Ari also can be seen shaking when he stands still for too long or after a run (which he rarely does).

Nemo Goldensun
Nemo, the only survivor of the Gray massacre. He almost never spends time in the Gray city. He spends most of his time in the human city, only coming back when he is found, if he is found. Nemo often keeps to himself and his own business, which some Grays (particularly the female dominate Stormbringers) believe only benefits him and not the whole nation. Some have even gone out of their way saying that he plans to betray them.

With only about 30 or so more years to live, Nemo doesn't look that old, in fact he looks like he should be around 100 (or human age 30-ish). Which just raises more suspicions about what he is doing.

Nemo only currently claims that his duty is revenge for "What those low humans have done". And he obviously intends to do this by himself, which is probably fitting since he's the only one of his pack left.

For notable features, his fur/hair looks a greasy black. Nemo has a small goatee, and sideburns in human form. His belt in human form has his name carved into it, years ago when asked about it he says his father made him it. Though now he'll just ignore you.

Raine Stormbringer
Raine is the Chieftess of the Stormbringer clan, which holds 70% of the remaining Gray females. Out of all the Grays in the city, she is perhaps possibly the strongest out of them all. She can't stand having to fight in the shadows, having patience, and not always being able to strike at any given time. She prefers a direct approach but... She sees how the only way they can win is to have patience, and blindly charging wouldn't be the way to solve things. To keep herself occupied, she often takes 3 other females with her on special "hunts" around the area. What she is doing is unknown, when asked she just replies "Just in case".

Her fur/hair is brown with a tint of red.

Akish Moonwolf
A very young, yet competent chief of the Moonwolf pack. Akish is at the head of the 'war' with the humans. Akish himself has also gone into the human city for a few raids against human factories to try and cripple what resources they have left. He has also been successful for getting human spies who are loyal to help the Grays (he does neglect to mention they too will die when and if this is all over, most likely).

While not nearly as powerful as oh say, Raine. Akish makes up for this by being a very good strategist, and knowledgable about how the human's society works.

His Hair/Fur is a light black or grayish color.

For the campaign I'm making a sort of "Gray Class" just for this race. Since the humans will have guns "Laz0rz", and tanks on occasion. With only painkillers and the Patriarch to help them "healing" wise, it would be tough to survive even only by getting hit once. So that's why I'm trying to make it. Maybe I might make it into a more balanced version for 3.5 Core.

This isn't finished, though if you care, advice will be nice.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Reflex Save | Will Save | Special Abilities
1|+1|+2|+2|+0| Common Enemy
2|+2|+3|+3|+0| Adrenalin rush 1/day
3|+3|+3|+3|+1| DR 1/silver
4|+4|+4|+4|+1| ???
5|+5|+4|+4|+1| Hide Armor
6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2| Hated Enemy, Adrenaline Rush 2/day
7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2| DR 2/ silver
8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2| Wounding Bite
9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3| ???
10|+10/+5|+2|+7|+3| Improved Hide Armor
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3| Mortal enemy, DR 3/Silver
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4| Improved Wounding Bite
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4| Terrifying howl
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4| Adrenaline Rush 4/day
15|+15/+10/+5|+10|+10|+5| DR 4/silver, ???[/table]

Common Enemy - In time of war, Grays share a common enemy, they get +1 on all rolls against them after knowledge is gained or shared between them (Battles, strategies, weapons, war stories, etc). This increases every 5 levels after to level 11 and it changes as follows, +2 to dice rolls +1 AC, then +4 Rolls +2 AC. The can change or have different races depending on who the Grays are currently at war with AS A WHOLE (not individual, solitary vendettas don't count).

Adrenaline Rush - Adds +2 to dodge AC and Damage for Con mod + 3 rounds. If you take more then 25% health damage in 1 hit (20(*25?*) min) or lose 75% health in total this happens immediantly if there is uses left for the day.

Hide armor - Protectors gain an abnormal natural body protection, increasing difficulty of attacks penetrating them that deal lethal damage. Attacks that pass normal AC, but not with the bonus deal non lethal instead. Increases to full con mod at level 10

Wounding Bite - If an attack hits over an opponents AC by 5 or more Points, the attack causes deep wounds, enemy takes 1 point of damage for ??d??+?? rounds or until a successful heal check (DC 10+# of attack points over wounded enemies AC), critical hits cause lethal wounding dealing 10 a round (decreasing by 1 each round till it hits 5), after the rounds have passed or heal check is made, it goes down to 1 where another heal check is needed to completely heal the attack.

Terrifying Howl - Howl causes fear in all who hear it, will save ???, targets can be excluded. Targets who make save can't be affected by same howl for 24 hours.
---
I was thinking on taking out the Damage reduction. Or just simply adding some ability that makes minor increases in battle power when they are grouped together.

Now with so much crap I probably did forget something. If there is a confusing part I'll do my best to address it and add it into here wherever it fits.

Thanks for your time in looking over this, at least, even a small portion. The main thing I'd like is just on how I can improve the racial stats to better fit them, or if it is fine as is. I've had some say it's ECL 5, barely and solid. Then my friend says (he doesn't get online) said 6-7... So, I'd like a general opinion. Help on the Race-class on campaign setting would be appreciated as well, it's not finished.

Once this is all set I'll hopefully be starting a campaign on the setting I provided sometime.

Also for those I'd like to thank... Tempest Fennec did loads to help me on this, offering advice and help when needed. And in general, simply putting up with me constantly, I probably got really annoying. >_>
Friends for throwing in their 2 cents, and not making fun of me XD
And if you offer up any help or criticism, thanks as well, this is something I really want to do and do somewhat well.

sigurd
2010-02-06, 11:52 AM
Gray Patriarch

- Able to scry as a free action on any portion of Gray land (No need of any components)

Scrying as a free action with no restriction, is an in game nightmare. Unless they have some sort of hive mind. I'd suggest this is over powerful.

Volug
2010-02-06, 11:54 AM
It's not all of them mind you.

Already thought on a day limit, there is already a range limit. It's mostly for protective purposes.

Actually I'll be taking out free action, it'd make more sense having them go into some sort of meditation before they can do any sort of thing like that. Still might keep them from an LA of 0, I might put a day or even a week limit on that.

I put in a recharge time. Though I'm not sure if it should be more or less... (1d6+2 days, thinking on just 1d6?)

Maybe just 1 full day would be enough? I mean they don't have much positives, other then being pretty much the only competent spell casters out of the whole race.

Milskidasith
2010-02-06, 12:53 PM
So it's got a net +4 to stats, a free (if not terribly useful) feat, can't gain armor proficiencies (that's pointless), good speed, scent, and natural armor.

Why is this LA 0?

Volug
2010-02-06, 12:54 PM
I meant for the "variant", Patriarch. Or an LA +1.

They can also gain proficiencies through feats (goes for all of them), but not certain things (which usually falls under what the DM says). For example, in the campaign I'm coming up with they can't become proficient with guns. Or really heavy armor.