PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose some weapons.

The_JJ
2010-02-06, 02:14 PM
I'm building a low level rouge rogue right now and I need some ideas on his weaponry. Should he throw darts? Go with daggers? Use a greatsword? Throw peanuts and beer bottles? Whatever, just justify it well and I'll try to run with it. (Avoid exotic books and feats.)

Oh, and while I'm here... I am afb but does anyone remember the rouge rogue's starting gold?

CTLC
2010-02-06, 02:17 PM
poison darts, and Nunchaku

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-06, 02:17 PM
Depends on the rogue, for a two-weapon fighting rogue I suggest Kukris (though you need a martial weapon proficiency) and as for throwing I am not sure, Shurikens (refluff if you want) are the norm AFIK

tahu88810
2010-02-06, 02:18 PM
Throw Greatswords.
Take the Master Thrower prestige class (I believe it's in Complete Adventurer) as soon as possible, for more greatsword throwing goodness.

Zincorium
2010-02-06, 02:21 PM
Daggers are surprisingly good- they're both piercing and slashing, light, can be thrown, and have a typical crit range for a martial weapon. And they've got a lot of prestige classes that can be gone into. Alas, for the D4 damage dice- but you've got sneak attack. If you're unable to sneak attack things, pull out the alchemist's fire or whatnot and make it's day interesting.

However, if you're starting at 1st/2nd level, and aren't strength based, don't try to make it in melee combat- a light crossbow is appropriate at this point.

Chrono22
2010-02-06, 02:22 PM
Use a scythe.
They look badass and strike fear into your enemies.

Animefunkmaster
2010-02-06, 02:24 PM
Boomerangs.

Check out the feats: Boomerang ricochet and boomerang daze

The_JJ
2010-02-06, 02:28 PM
So far Zincorium has done the best job, but I like the boomerangs idea.

Soranar
2010-02-06, 02:37 PM
Use your fists and shurikens. 1 Level of monk with kung-fu genius makes you not need armor , ever. And the feat ascetic rogue makes you get unarmed progression with rogue levels.

And if you don't want to beat people with your fists, you can just throw shurikens (which you can flurry and rapid shot)

Curmudgeon
2010-02-06, 03:06 PM
Daggers are poor because you'll always have range increment penalties (unless you have the Far Shot feat): you won't throw against an enemy in the next 5' square to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity, and you get a -2 range penalty at 10'. So darts (cheaper, lighter, same damage, and better range) are considerably better if you want to go with thrown weaponry.

For melee the obvious choice is the rapier: excellent critical threat range, works with Weapon Finesse, and Rogues are proficient without wasting a feat. There's no other choice that's worth serious consideration unless you get it for "free", such as longswords for elves.

Whatever you do, always walk around with a ranged weapon ready. Even if you expect to be in melee a lot, you don't want to squander the opportunity to get sneak attack against flat-footed foes at the start of combat. Composite shortbow (composite longbow for elves) is the usual choice here; use a crossbow instead if you made STR a dump stat. You don't get a second iterative shot normally before level 8.

Whatever you do, don't spend feats on specific weapons. Feats are precious to Rogues.

The_JJ
2010-02-06, 06:31 PM
I find the varaity in responses amusing. Most amusing, the first to directly step out of the OP to suggest a different class choose monk. Unexpected.

I think I like the knife fighter idea, but I've yet to ink the sheet.