PDA

View Full Version : Freeform: Picking up the Stix [OOTS]

Pages : [1] 2

lostlittlebear
2010-02-06, 03:19 PM
It was a dark and stormy night.

Uatu, God of Plot Hooks, lets out a groan, voice echoing through the endless halls of the Plane of Narration.

Somehow, dark and stormy nights always meant the start of a new story arc, which meant more work, which meant less time at the divine bar, which, in short, meant that it was going to be a really bad few months while he got this stupid quest worked out.

Heading to a scrying pool, he peers into it, in an attempt to divine the fledgling plotline as it forms.

His attention is drawn to a small tavern on the edge of the Empire of Sweat (or was it the Empire of Blood? He could never keep the names straight.), and an old man furiously galloping towards it, presumably with some world-shattering message to deliver.

Swearing under his breath, he snaps his fingers, and a bolt of pure deux ex machina sizzles down from the skies, incinerating the horse and it's messenger.

And that's the last I'll hear of that, he thinks, turning back to the nine comely muses that are arranging themselves in various seductive poses on his bed.

"Now where were w-"

A blaring klaxon cuts him off in mid-sentence.

LEVEL 5 PLOT HOLE ALERT! LEVEL 5 PLOT HOLE ALERT! ALL GODS AND DEITIES AT DIVINE RANK 20 AND ABOVE, PLEASE REPORT TO THE BRIEFING ROOM AT ONCE

Turning back to the scrying pool, Uatu watches in horror as the old man somehow manages to pull himself into the tavern before collapsing in a steaming heap.

It was going to be a longgg few months.

OOC:Alright guys! So here's the game thread. Post all OOC in spoilers like this. You're all in the tavern in question and you don't know each other. Please give a short description of how you wound up in the tavern in your first IC post.

Make up the interior of the tavern as you wish - it's a Generic NoName Fantasy Tavern.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 03:43 PM
As the rain begins to fall on the dark and stormy night, Sarah makes her way quickly towards the welcoming door of an tavern. Assassins aren't quite as effective when they're all wet. She slips silently through the door and finds her way over to a shadowy corner to study the occupants of the building. She brushes a strand of her red hair out of her face and twirls her knives in her hands. No one will notice her unless they look directly at her. And since most people in the tavern are to drunk anyway, that's highly unlikely. And even if they did all they would see is her outline. Unless they had good nightvision of course.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 04:10 PM
A hulking, metallic figure sat at a table in the exact center (and he calculated) of the tavern. The "man" turned his glance all over the tavern, as if looking for someone. This was the first town he came to after awakening, and the instructions of his master echoed in his head: find the girl, end the world. The image of the one he sought was etched into his mind, and the magic that animated him compelled the warforged to carry out his goal. And thus he sat, arms crossed, waiting...

OOC
Although I use male adjectives, it isn't obvious what gender Lance is: just an androgynous creature made of metal

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 04:23 PM
Sarah stops twirling her knives and begins to watch the metallic man, curious. She doesn't think it's seen her yet. But she can't be sure. She stands perfectly still as she studies every inch of it.

OOC
Who is the girl he is after Sarah, or Emily? Or is it some other random girl who isn't actually a PC?

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 04:31 PM
OOC
He's looking for Emily (who I assume got in to this campaign...).

Devixer
2010-02-06, 04:33 PM
Kinamae pulls his cloak a little tighter about him, sitting at a small table at the corner of the interior, with some water in front of him. I hate these sort of nights, he thinks. That... creature in the center of the tavern, combined with the rain meant that a quest hook was coming, and that made him either a main character or a hapless mook. He places a finger on the trigger of his crossbow, and continues to drink his water.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 04:35 PM
Sarah carefully slips out of the shadows and into a seat that gives her a good view of the warforged. She tries to look inconspicuos as she orders some water from the serving girl. She continues her study of the machine thingy as she drinks.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 04:37 PM
As Lance glances around, he notices a girl trying to look at him. "...are you the one?" he asks returning her look.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 04:42 PM
Sarah stops her examination of the machine. She looks up warily.
"What is 'The One'?"
She asks. Her voice is soft and smooth. The words come out slowly, as if she doesn't trust him with her voice.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 04:50 PM
The warforged continues checking out the girl, the gears in his head turning. "...no, you aren't." he says at length, returning to his random glancing about.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 04:54 PM
Kinamae finishes his water, pulls his mask back over his face, and watches this development with a mild intrigue.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 04:54 PM
Sarah presses on, now determine to figure out what he's talking about.
"What exactly are you looking for?"
She notices Kinamae out of the corner of her eye.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 04:56 PM
Lance ignores the girl and continues waiting. A thought flickered through his head that the girl might never come, but he waved it aside. After all, his master's prophecy MUST go forth.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-06, 05:08 PM
I'm just waiting for everyone to post before moving on. First IC posts are important :smallwink:

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 05:09 PM
This is true, my good man.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 05:14 PM
OOC:
Agreed.

Kinamae notices the pupils of the girl flick towards him for less thatn a second, and indulges in one of his habits: adjusting his mask, making sure it covered his entire lower face.

daelrog
2010-02-06, 05:34 PM
A young man sat up on the bar, trying to sniffle away his tears. "Another barkeep. I want another!" He tried to slam his tankard onto the counter, but all it made was a feeble clinking sound.

Can't even demand an ale properly.

He recalled the past month of failures, desperately trying to find a quest, any quest that was worthy of a warrior of justice such as he. However, everyone had flattly rejected him. It was humiliating.

Attempt # 1
"No you're not evil enough. Next!"
"Thogg like candy!"

Attempt # 2
"Oh sure, we LOVE to have another paladin."
"Belkar, we do not need another paladin. You know what happened with the last one."
"Ah, come. It'd be fun."

Attempt # 3
"Uh... Mr. Redcloak... you don't mind if I do a quick detect evil check just to make sure?"
"..."

Attempt # 4
"Oh sure, the Thieves Guild could use a man of you wallet... I mean money... uh, fighter skills."
"Paladin."
"Oh right. Just follow me to this deserted alleyway. I promise there aren't five oh my buddies waiting in ambush."
"If you say so, but I wonder why you need to even go out of the way to tell me..." Whomp!

Attempt # 5
"Oh sure, we've been pretty short on paladins since most of the Guard were killed by a lich and all."
"What?"
"Oh nevermind. Tell me though, which of the twelve great gods is your patron, or is that you worship them equally. Don't worry, it's just for bookkeeping."
"But I worship Baldr, god of light and happiness, and all things perfect."

"And then... and then he laughed as if I were joking. It took ten minutes for tem all to realize that I was being serious... and then... and then... the girl on the shark wouldn't go out with me!" The young man began crying in his arms, oblivious to all else around him.

OOC
So who all made it into the party?

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 05:36 PM
A young man sat up on the bar, trying to sniffle away his tears. "Another barkeep. I want another!" He tried to slam his tankard onto the counter, but all it made was a feeble clinking sound.

Can't even demand an ale properly.

He recalled the past month of failures, desperately trying to find a quest, any quest that was worthy of a warrior of justice such as he. However, everyone had flattly rejected him. It was humiliating.

Attempt # 1
"No you're not evil enough. Next!"
"Thogg like candy!"

Attempt # 2
"Oh sure, we LOVE to have another paladin."
"Belkar, we do not need another paladin. You know what happened with the last one."
"Ah, come. It'd be fun."

Attempt # 3
"Uh... Mr. Redcloak... you don't mind if I do a quick detect evil check just to make sure?"
"..."

Attempt # 4
"Oh sure, the Thieves Guild could use a man of you wallet... I mean money... uh, fighter skills."
"Paladin."
"Oh right. Just follow me to this deserted alleyway. I promise there aren't five oh my buddies waiting in ambush."
"If you say so, but I wonder why you need to even go out of the way to tell me..." Whomp!

Attempt # 5
"Oh sure, we've been pretty short on paladins since most of the Guard were killed by a lich and all."
"What?"
"Oh nevermind. Tell me though, which of the twelve great gods is your patron, or is that you worship them equally. Don't worry, it's just for bookkeeping."
"But I worship Baldr, god of light and happiness, and all things perfect."

"And then... and then he laughed as if I were joking. It took ten minutes for tem all to realize that I was being serious... and then... and then... the girl on the shark wouldn't go out with me!" The young man began crying in his arms, oblivious to all else around him.

OOC
So who all made it into the party?

...I lol'd

Devixer
2010-02-06, 05:43 PM
Kinamae turns momentarily towards the weeping man at the bar. He finds himself both amused and annoyed at the same time. Knowing my luck, him and I will end up in the same group.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 05:58 PM
Sarah sighs and stands up with her water. She calmly walks over to the table Kinamae is at. She sits down and looks him right in the eye.

Lix is on. Someone tell her to get her lazy self over here cuz were all waiting for her. And maybe a few other people but I'm really just waiting for her. Or I'll tell her.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 06:16 PM
Kinamae looks over at the girl now at his table. There went his chances of solitude. "You have a reason to be here?" Not exactly sociable, but that wasn't his thing.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 06:24 PM
"Do I need a reason?"
She shoots back at him. She brushes her hair out of her eyes again. And begins twirling one of her knives in her right hand.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 06:28 PM
(I'm sorry guys, i was at the only social event in this months calender. DXD Also, this is gonna make me look stupid, but how do you do the spoiler thingies?)

Emily burst into the bar, scowling. She was completely soaked. And a stormy night ALWAYS meant something important.
The fact that she'd lost her group the day before meant it could only be one thing. She had a QUEST to start.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 06:31 PM
"For casually heading over to someone you have never met? Yes." Kinamae fidgeted a little with his empty glass.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 06:32 PM
You type this to make a spoiler:
[spoiler ]whatever you want to say in the spoiler[ /spoiler]
But minus the spaces from the tags.

As Sarah sees the lovely girl enter the bar she immediately leaves her seat and Kinamae behind. She steps up to Emily her cloak flapping behind her before settling back down.
"Hello there. My name is Sarah Green. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Devixer
2010-02-06, 06:38 PM
Kinamae smiles underneath his mask, glad at his regained solitude. He motions for a serving girl, and wordlessly asks for another glass of water.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 06:41 PM
Thankies! ^_^

"Hello." replied Emily brightly, looking her up and down. Hmm... by the looks of her, definitely a PC, or at least some important NPC. Definitely worth befriending. Unless she ended up being the main villain... sometimes knowledge just made things harder.

"Nice to meet you!" she said happily. "I'm Emily."

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 06:42 PM
The warforged eyes flash as Emily enters the tavern. ...YOU are the one!" he exclaims, pointing at the soaked woman. Lance moves quickly toward her, falling to one knee.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 06:45 PM
"Emily. Thats a lovely name."
Sarah begins studying Emily. Her eyes linger on... certain areas. And then the warforge pops up next to them.
"Huh?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 06:46 PM
She giggled as Sarah looked at her. "Sarah's pretty too-" she started, breaking off as the warforged went down on one knee. "Umm... is that a good thing?" she said, thoroughly confused.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 06:47 PM
Kinamae leans forward. This was surprising. A warforged, kneeling to a human? A quest hook if ever there was one.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 06:50 PM
"...you are the one." repeats Lance, rising to full height. "Thus begins the prophecy!" The warforged looks down at the two women. "...um...yes...the prophecy..."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 06:52 PM
"Uh." she said. "Not that i'm not flattered, but... what prophecy?"

daelrog
2010-02-06, 06:52 PM
"And before that, a girl said she only was into the undead! I'll never find a girlfriend! I mean... I'll never find a quest!"

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 06:55 PM
The warforged mind skips at this. "...um...well...uh..." Lance looks at the floor, scratching his head. "...would you know, I have no idea. I just recently awoke with instructions to find you...or someone who looks like you..."

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 06:57 PM
Sarah looks over at Emily with a raised eyebrow.
"Do you want to go somewhere where there aren't wierd machines stalking you?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 06:58 PM
She shrugged. "Okaaaay..."
She turned to Sarah. "I'm ok with it. After all, i could probably fight him off. Probably. Unless he's actually some epic level sorcerer with antimagic..."

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 07:01 PM
Sarah smiles at that.
"Ok. Well on that note, can I get you a drink Emily?"

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 07:02 PM
"No, please don't leave me!" begs Lance, falling before Emily. "I...I have no where else to go. Plus I can't rest until the prophecy is complete...whatever that means."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 07:02 PM
"Sure." she smiled. "Oh, you can follow me. It'll be like having a puppy. But less cute." she teased.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 07:03 PM
Kinamae no longer sees any point in being here. A forgotten prophecy? He's better than that. He stands up, raises his hood, and walks over to the bar. He places a few gold pieces on the counter, saying, "Thanks for the water." Shaking his head at the bemoaner at the bar, he turns to go.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 07:04 PM
The warforged is completely oblivious to the insult. "Thank you my lady" Lance stands again, looking down at Emily. "...so...what is your plan, my lady?"

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 07:05 PM
Sarah giggles at the dog comment.
"I wonder if he'll eat table scraps."
She says ordering a martini, it's OotS style so I'm sure they have martinis, and one for Emily. Time to make a move with this girl.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 07:10 PM
She smiled at the drink, and then blinked.
"Uh. Plan?"

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 07:12 PM
"My gift to someone as beautiful as yourself."
She then looks at the warforge and echoes Emily.
"Plan?"

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 07:13 PM
"...yes...plan..." replies the warforged, noticing Kinamae leaving. "I assume you have some goal to achieve. Some destiny...mission...thing."

daelrog
2010-02-06, 07:14 PM
"You! Yeah, tha's righ' you!" The paladin points at Sarah. The young man's eyes looked relaxed, and the edge of his mouth is drooling. "You don't want me either do you! What good is 17 charisma if all the girls want evil masterminds, older men, or ten-foot-tall giant slugs!"

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 07:18 PM
Sarah looks at the paladin surprised.
"No I just wouldn't go out with you cuz your drooling. If you stopped doing that you might have a chance with me, but I don't know."

daelrog
2010-02-06, 07:21 PM
"Wha? I'm not drooling. You three pretty ladies are the ones drool..." He falls back in his chair, passed out.

From below his tattered cloak, a sword slides out part way of its make-shift scabbard. The blad in made of pure silver, and tiny runic etchings are engraved in an ancient, mysterious language.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 07:23 PM
"...three ladies...?" Lance looks around, making sure he didn't miss one.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 07:28 PM
"Drunken idiot."
Sarah mutters, trying to wrap an arm around Emily's shoulders.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 07:37 PM
Emily shrugged at Lance. "Plans aren't really my thing. And if there's a destiny waiting, i guess it'll have to knock on the door, cause i don't know about it."

She smiled slightly at the drunk's failure, and considered giving him a little boost, but she wasn't willing to spend the limited healing she had on some random guy when a quest was likely to come soon.

And when Sarah wrapped an arm around her, she smiled. High charisma was the best thing since sliced bread.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 07:42 PM
No. High charisma is better than sliced bread.

"You don't mind this do you?"
She says quite obviously talking about the arm around Emily.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 07:43 PM
The warforged 'coughs' awkwardly, deciding now would be a good time to develop a personality. "...um...perhaps I should help that guy..." he says, pointing toward the unconscious man.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 08:12 PM
"Good. Now I don't have to shoot that idiot," Kinamae says, looking at the unconscious person. He kicks the sword back in its scabbard.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 08:14 PM
"I don't mind at all." she smiled. "You do that." she said to both of them.

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 08:16 PM
Sarah smiles.
"Great. So how are you enjoying the drink?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 08:45 PM
"It's strong." she giggled.

Most people agreed getting casters drunk was a bad idea...

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 08:55 PM
"Oh. I'm sorry."
She giggles too.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 08:57 PM
"Never said it was a bad thing." she said with a grin.
Thing was, Emily was quite a, to put it simply, lightweight.

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 08:58 PM
Very well, my lady," replies the warforged, drawing a wand from his satchel. "By my lady's will, arise!" a bolt of lightening shot from the wand, striking the unconscious man.

It's a Shocking Grasp spell. Nothing painful.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-06, 09:00 PM
She blinked. "Uh. What was that, how did you do it, and... umm. Ok, only two questions."

Devixer
2010-02-06, 09:03 PM
"It is warforged." Kinamae said. "They can do that sort of thing."

Forever Curious
2010-02-06, 09:05 PM
"I was designed with an aptitude for magical items," explains Lance, returning the wand to it's bag. "Or, in simple terms, I can take 10 on Use Magic Device checks whenever I want."

Viera Champion
2010-02-06, 09:13 PM
Sarah looks at all the people intruding on her try at the girl.
"Looks like were attracting a bunch of people."
She days to Emily.

Devixer
2010-02-06, 09:42 PM
Kinamae snorts and adjusts his mask again. "Don't flatter yourself. Was on way out when noticed it. Can continue your one night stand." He walks toward the door, opens it, and stops. "Storm's gotten worse. Appears stay will be extended." He walks back to the bar and requests a room key, along with another glass of water. Finally, he sits back down at his table, hood now over his eyes.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-07, 02:34 AM
We're still waiting for Derjuin and Ganurath, but I'll move the plot along presently. Feel free to pop in whenever, guys.

The various scenes of drunkeness and flirtation at the tavern are interrupted by an almighty bang and a heart-rending neigh of pain. Presently, an old man flings the tavern door open, clothes steaming and sizzling in the rain.

"It wasn't supposed to happen like this..." he groans.

"I need, I need to deliver my message to the Ones who will save us all."

Extracting a scroll cunningly concealed in his belt, he raises it aloft before collapsing in a sodden heap on the floor.

For a moment you think you hear a celestial choir singing "Plot Hoookkkk" in unearthly tones, but surely that was a figment of your imagination.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 04:16 AM
Some who knew Emily claimed she had a sixth sense for plot hooks. She never admitted to anything, but was always the first to leap on them.

"Cure Light Wounds." she said, tapping the man gently.

Is it odd that despite knowing nothing, i have written up a spell list for my character, and worked out how many levels she has in each class?

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 08:40 AM
As the man collapses Leila is already at his side with the scroll already in her hand.
"I wonder what it says."
She says. She opens the scroll and begins to read it. She doesn't know who these Ones are, but who cares. It's not like its her or anything.

DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 08:43 AM
"What does it say?" she asked.

What time zones are people in? Might make it easier if we know.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 10:58 AM
I have Mountain time.

Cryptic musings by an old man? To Kinamae, that was usually just as bad as forgotten prophecy, but since this man was nearly dead, that improved the plot hook a bit. He moves his hood so that it no longer covers his eyes, and listens to the conversation.

Derjuin
2010-02-07, 10:58 AM
Sorry everyone - a huge snowstorm cut my power, and because it was a snowstorm, I was pretty much locked in at home :smallfrown: sorry! And, I'm eastern US time.

"I HATE STORMS!" Minaka yells as she throws open the door to the tavern, stumbling inside. She grumbles some more, something about being able to modify the fabric of the universe at will, the Endure Elements spell and lightning-proof umbrellas, then notices the group of people literally right in front of her.

"Er, sorry, am I interrupting something?"

Forever Curious
2010-02-07, 11:02 AM
US Eastern time as well.

Lance looks down at the old man, then at the drunken one, kicking the latter lightly. "...perhaps it's the prophecy!" suggests the warforged, turning his attention to the scroll.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 11:44 AM
I'm in England. What ho. But i always stay up late. XD

Emily blinked. There were so many people to keep track of...
"I guess it could be the same prophecy..." she said unsurely.

Derjuin
2010-02-07, 12:08 PM
"Ooh, a prophecy?" Minaka clapped her hands together and smiled; maybe this would turn out to be fun after all! Then she notices the old man in a heap at the group's feet, and gasps. "Is...is he dead??"

Devixer
2010-02-07, 12:18 PM
"Can't be dead yet. Too important for plot." By now, Kinamae had stood back up and took a few steps back. Contrary to what some might think, he was rather genre-savvy himself. He knew the old wreck was alive until the message. He also knew that, being a PC, this was essentially a call to arms for him.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 12:19 PM
"Nah, i definitely felt my heal working." she said. "Dunno when he'll wake up though..."

Devixer
2010-02-07, 12:28 PM
"Soon." Kinamae finishes off his water, and moves his mask back over his mouth and nose. "Will only deliver message though."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 12:34 PM
"Huh." she said. "Well, he'd better hurry. I'm bored."

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 12:59 PM
"Hey. It looks like we have a party now. I'm just not sure whether it's an adventuring party, or a get drunk social party."

EDITED:Eastern US. And what does the scroll say?

Forever Curious
2010-02-07, 01:01 PM
Lance's prophecy? That's part of the joke: he has no idea, except that he's suppose to stick with Emily (or someone who looks like her...).

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 01:08 PM
"Is there a difference?" Emily asked. "There never has been with my teams..."

How funny would it be if it ended up being her DAUGHTER instead? XD

Forever Curious
2010-02-07, 01:10 PM
...that concept never dawned on me...

Lance gives the two unconscious men another light tap with his metal foot.

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 01:12 PM
Emily has a daughter?

"Well then I see no reason for there to be any difference here."
Sarah says drinking down her whole glass of martini.

Still waiting to hear what the scroll says.

Derjuin
2010-02-07, 01:16 PM
"I came here with the intention to get drunk, and then go home...but with the potential for adventure so high..." She then remembers there's a wounded man still collapsed on the floor in front of her. "Maybe he needs a little more healing?" Minaka says, kneeling down and placing a hand on the collapsed man's shoulder. Cure Serious Wounds!

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 01:34 PM
Nono, not YET. XD

"You do that." nodded Emily, drinking down the rest of her drink as well. "I don't have enough healing to spare..."

lostlittlebear
2010-02-07, 04:17 PM
I'm currently at GMT but I'll be at GMT +4 soon. Expect me to post once per day without fail, though

Emily's cure light wounds fades into the old man's skin without a trace. Evidently the healing magicks it provided was not enough to overcome his injuries.

As the scroll is opened, though, you hear a ghostly voice speaking.

"If you are hearing this prerecorded message, then the messenger this scroll is tied to has been incapacitated or disabled."

"SCANNING FOR CHOSEN ONES."

A beam of white light flashes around the tavern.

"FAILURE. NO MEMBERS OF THE ORDER OF THE STICK RECOGNIZED. INITIATING BACKUP PROTOCOL NO.336"

Another flash of light fills the room, and suddenly you see a pleasantly androgynous human standing in the center of the room.

"Greetings, my name is Avatar. I am an image projected by the scroll you have just opened, and today is your lucky day."

"And you wanna know why?"

"Because you've just gained yourself the opportunity to earn a thousand gold pieces! Simply deliver this scroll to your nearest Adventurers Guild (branches available in all major cities), and gain a substantial reward."

"For the more morally inclined amongst you, our Pray-as-you-Pay Programme will earn you brownie points with whatever deities you serve too!"

"So what are you waiting for? Grab this scroll now!"

"Offer lasts for the first seven people to touch it."

With that, the image winks out.

Immediately, all eyes in the tavern turn to the scroll held in Emily's hands. The greed is palpable in the air.

"BARFIGHTTTTTTTT!" someone yells, and the patrons of the bar fling themselves towards Emily and her scroll.

OOC:Feel free to roleplay yourself beating up people and touching the scroll in the interim between this post and the next. As long as someone isn't a named NPC, the PCs can beat him in anyway they like - plot armor is cool, huh.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 04:24 PM
"Quickened Magic Missile!" she yelled, leaping for the scroll, bombarding magical force into various pubgoers as she grabbed the scroll.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-07, 04:33 PM
A few explosions later, and various bar patrons are flung into windows and doors by Emily's magical bolts.

"Please spare the bar!" the bartender moans, as he cowers behind his drinks counter.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 04:36 PM
"Yeah." said Emily, as her sum totaly of one drink started to get to her. "The bar's where all the loovely alcohol is..."

She dropped the scroll, and sauntered to the bar, occasionally hiccupping, which wouldn't be a problem, other than the sparks of lightning radiating from her every time she did.

That was why alcohol was BAD for casters...

Forever Curious
2010-02-07, 04:42 PM
Lance remains stoic as the chaos ensues, oblivious to the various NPC's trying to punch through his embedded armor. "...hm...I suppose I should touch it..." muses the warforged, picking up the scroll. "I have secured the scroll, my lady!" he calls to Emily.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 04:46 PM
By now, Emily was at the bar with another drink. She held up a hand, pointed dramatically, and said "Well done!"

The alcohol chose then to make her hiccup, firing a weak ray of frost at the Warforged.

daelrog
2010-02-07, 04:51 PM
The young paladin's eyes fluttered open. He stood up, dusting himself off, unaware of a chair missing his shoulder by an inch, or the knife flying between his legs.

Slowly but surely, Avatar's words. Go to an Adventurer's Guild... adventurers... adventure!

"I am Bran Hashwell, paladin to the gloriously perfect Baldr. Stand aside deviants!" He pulled his shining sword from his scabbard, the chepa, worn cloth, falling apart as he did so.

Then the chair came back, this time hitting him in the back of the head.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 04:55 PM
Emily giggled at the sight. "Need a hand?" she called, hoping she could complete a -not very funny- joke.

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 05:10 PM
ArahSarah draws a few of her throwing knives and launches them at tavern patrons killing them instantly. She then leaps up and grabs the scroll out of Lance's hand before dropping it on the ground again.
"Im third!"
She says. She then collects her throwing knives and wipes the blood off of them. She finally heads back over to the bar and sits down next to Emily.
"I think you've had enough to drink. If you still need something to put your lips on, I could always kiss you."
Yes, she is taking advantage of a drunk girl.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 05:12 PM
She giggled. "Suuuure..." she said, leaning close.

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 05:25 PM
Having already touched the scroll, Sarah leans forward to kiss Emily.

daelrog
2010-02-07, 05:30 PM
Bran stood to his feet, albeit a bit wobbily. All around him people were dying, an adventure was just out of his reach, and... were those girls about to kiss?

"Baldr, guide me!"

(Elsewhere)

"Um, Baldr sir,we have a request from Bran Hashwell. It appears as if people are dying, something about adventure, and two girls kissing."

"Hm? Ah yes, Bran Hashwell, good lad. Let's see..." He took the parchment from the divine messenger. "Simple enough. I would just stand up and smile. Naturally people would stop fighting to gaze upon my glorious beauty, and hand me this adventure scroll."

"And the two girls sir?"

"Baldr, what's taking you so long?"

"You're the greatest man-god of them all. Tee hee."

The messenger gave a sigh. "I see."

Bran opened his eyes, the words of his patron giving him the insight of an immortal. "Well, I suppose if I must." Bran Hashwell stood up on the bar. "If I could have your attention please!" As some eyes turned to him, the patrons were greeted by a pleasant if uneasy smile, followed by Bran tearing his armor plates off to reveal his nigh perfect physique from waist to neckline. He hoped it would work.

OOC
Going to a friend's to watch the superbowl. Will be back on tonight.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 05:31 PM
Have fun!

Emily didn't notice, distracted as her lips met the other girl's.

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 05:36 PM
Sarah is distracted by the bare chested man. But luckily he is in her line of sight, so she can watch him and kiss Emily. As she breaks off from the kiss, she winks at Bran and oats the seat next to her

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 05:41 PM
Emily giggled childishly, swaying slightly.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 05:42 PM
Kinamae steadily walks to the scroll. Several inebriated patrons were in his way, but they fall to his poisoned daggers. While he is not interested in the gold, he just wants to do something. He shoots the last patron with his crossbow, and lays a hand on the scroll.

"Fourth."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 05:47 PM
With the methods we're using, we're more like the Linear Guild than the Order. XD Aaaand i only just got the joke in the name. DXD

Emily swayed a little more, looking over at the havoc.
"Spectral Hand." she commanded, forming a ghostly hand, which went over and tapped a warrior on the back. He turned, confused, before his expression became one of shock.
"Inflict Moderate Wounds." she giggled, as the energy channeled through the hand, which daintily poked the warrior in the forehead.

Derjuin
2010-02-07, 06:53 PM
Minaka flaps her wings, trying to get off the ground but finds them still too wet to fly well enough; grunting like she should've known better, she instead makes a small twist in the air with one finger, and is suddenly gone. A few seconds later she reappears, two fingers touching the scroll. "I think that makes me fifth!"

She used silent Invisibility.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 06:57 PM
Emily was now giggling inanely, as the hand wondered about, casting Inflict Minor Wounds on seemingly random people.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 06:59 PM
Kinamae scowls at he woman casting random spells. "They don't impede your progress." He then looks at the person who has just grabbed the scroll and thinks, Hmm. Someone I have a slight chance at getting along with.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 07:05 PM
Emily was now too drunk to distinguish between PC and NPC, and one of the Inflict Minors hit Kinamae.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 07:14 PM
Kinamae winces a bit from the sudden pain and gets very angry. He figures he'll try the only viable approach with a drunk: the direct one. He didn't have enough HP to deal with this. He points his hand crossbow at the girl.

"Cast that again. I dare you."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 07:20 PM
She giggled. "Aw, come on. Only one hit point. I'd understand if it was something like... Ray of Frost!"

The hand jabbed him for another D3 damage. She was laughing too much to understand he was angry. Drunken magic users were truly a bad idea for all involved.

Viera Champion
2010-02-07, 07:22 PM
Sarah stands up knives in hand as Kinamae points the crossbow at Emily. She is still perfectly sober after three martini's.
"Hey hey. You touched the scroll too. So we all have to travel together and get along... You know what forget what I just said and listen to this. I dare you."
Her knives are ready to be thrown right at his vitals. But seeing how Emily is acting she instead thwacks her over the head trying to knock Emily unconscious.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 07:23 PM
"Not a meat shield. One hit point is a lot." He squeezes the trigger, but not enough to fire. "The same way a Constitution poison is a lot."

He then glances at the girl with the knives. He pulls out his own dagger."Traveling with you doesn't mean I have to like you."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 07:27 PM
She gulped. The threat of physical injury was very sobering. She giggled nervously.
"Cure Light Wounds." she said. "Um... no hard feelings?"
The hand gently lay itself on his shoulder, discharging enough energy to heal everything she'd done and a little more.

Night, people.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 07:39 PM
She's drunk. She doesn't know what she's doing, Kinamae thinks. He sighs and put his weapons away. "Apologies. Overreacted. I do that." He turns to the bartender and puts some gold on the counter. He's going to need something a little stronger right now.

"...Tea. No sugar."

'Night.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-07, 07:45 PM
"Forgiven!" she said brightly.

Ok, now i mean it.

Devixer
2010-02-07, 07:49 PM
Kinamae now has his tea. He moves his mask just down enough to uncover his mouth. "May as well ask your name. Since we'll be in the same group for a while."

Forever Curious
2010-02-07, 09:47 PM
The warforged blinked as the ray hit him (well, would have blinked had he been physically able to). "...very well," he comments, holding the scroll out for others to touch. So these are the ones who shall aid in my master's will... thought Lance.

daelrog
2010-02-07, 11:41 PM
Bran looked about him, everyone else in the bar had touched the scroll already, fled, or had Xs for eyes. It worked. He had his doubts, but truthfully this was a sign of Baldr's shining perfectness!

He jumped off the bar and walked over to Lance, putting his hand on the scroll. He was the sixth.

Finally, a quest, a quest for a hero such as he to thwart evil with. The only thing left to do was the mandatory paladin 'detect evil' test on his new quest mates, the people who had just killed a dozen men and women in order to get the monetary reward.

He turned his head to the side, looking away from everyone else. "Detect evil."

Devixer
2010-02-07, 11:48 PM
"Finally," Kinamae says as he takes a swig of his tea, "A paladin who detects evil before smiting it."

lostlittlebear
2010-02-08, 02:50 AM
Okay, am just going to assume that everyone's managed to touch the scroll. Feel free to retcon stuff in later if you want.

The barfight eventually burns itself out, leaving behind in it's wake a ruined bar, many unconcious bodies, and one heartbroken shopkeeper. Amazingly, all of the lucky adventurers who had managed to put a hand on the scroll are still standing, having successfully negotiated the dangers of drunken men and flying bottles.

The scroll, sensing that it's quota of touches is fulfilled, once again deploys it's image, Avatar.

"CON-GRA-TU-LA-TIONS!"

"Now all you have to do is bring this scroll to the nearest city to collect your reward."

"The nearest city is... wait a bit let me do some calculations... is the Citadel of The Really Bad Guys Who Are So Bad They Even Kick Puppies."

"It's about 20 miles north, as the crow flies."

"So what are you waiting for? Deliver this scroll now!"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 04:39 AM
"I'm Emily." she said brightly.
She scanned as 'not evil', though not strongly. "Puppy kicking? That's just mean."

Forever Curious
2010-02-08, 10:15 AM
Lance stands still as the paladin scans him, his lead-based armor deflecting the scan. "...not evil as far as I know..."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 10:23 AM
"What are you, then?" asked Emily of 'her' warforged.

If she goes evil, she is hiding behind him to dodge detect evil. TOO slow. XD

Viera Champion
2010-02-08, 10:24 AM
Sarah let's herself be scanned too.
"Evil my ass."

Forever Curious
2010-02-08, 10:33 AM
Lance thought for a second. "...um...not evil...?" he ventured. He'd only been awake for less than 3 days, most of which he had spent walking from the crypt he was buried to this town.

Derjuin
2010-02-08, 11:28 AM
Minaka lets the detection check her alignment. "That should read 'Good'. Or at least, 'Not Evil'." She says. After the scroll finishes its message, she raises an eyebrow. "Citadel of the Really Bad Guys? Is that such a good idea...?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 11:33 AM
"Think of it this way: Citadel of the large chunks of XP." grinned Emily.

I spent most of my day inventing potential 'partners' for Emily in a soul splice. XD

daelrog
2010-02-08, 11:55 AM
Uh, Bran actually didn't use detect evil on anyone.

He turned his head to the side, looking away from everyone else. "Detect evil."
Since he really wanted to go on an adventure, he didn't want to risk finding an evil member in the team, especilly since some of the others killed several people in the bar without a second thought. So, he cheated and simply didn't lookk at them when he said detect evil.

Forever Curious
2010-02-08, 11:57 AM
...oh.... nevermind.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 12:10 PM
>_> We totally knew that.

"So." said Emily brightly, looking around. "What classes do we have here?"

Derjuin
2010-02-08, 02:57 PM
Er...oops >>;

"I'm a Mystic Theurge," Minaka says, smiling.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 03:15 PM
"Oh, cool!" said Emily, excited. "I've taken some levels in that! I bet you're better than me, though."

Viera Champion
2010-02-08, 03:22 PM
"Assassin here. I see you've sobered up some, lightweight."
She pulls out a knife again and twirls it again.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 03:32 PM
"Threats of immediate HP loss tend to do that." she nodded. "Assassin? Cooool."

Devixer
2010-02-08, 05:57 PM
"Rogue. Have few levels in Assassin.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 06:00 PM
"Two assassins?" she giggled. "Methinks that prestige class is a leetle overfavoured."

Devixer
2010-02-08, 06:05 PM
"Only two levels. Prefer Rogue," Kinamae says while adjusting his mask.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 06:16 PM
She nodded. "I'm a bit of everything. I have a level or two in Fighter, a few in Sorcerer, a couple in Cleric and the rest are Mystic Theurge."

daelrog
2010-02-08, 06:31 PM
"I am A PALADIN OF THE PERPETUALLY DIVINE BALDR." Hash picked up his rusted chainmail and travelling lcoak and began to redress his upper half.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 06:33 PM
"Baldr... Baldr..." she muttered. "Oh! The... uh... Ohyeah! One of the Dwarven guys! God of beauty! Real hot!"

Devixer
2010-02-08, 06:34 PM
"Gathered." Kinamae takes another swig of tea, replaces his mask, and asks, "Your name?"

daelrog
2010-02-08, 07:28 PM
"Huh? Oh, yes it is Bran Hashwell."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-08, 07:30 PM
"Nice to meet you!" said Emily brightly. "Wait... if you're a paladin, don't you have to Detect Evil us?"

Devixer
2010-02-08, 09:29 PM
"Don't think any here are Evil." Kinamae picked up the scroll and thought. "Citadel of The Really Bad Guys... was there once. Didn't like it.

Forever Curious
2010-02-08, 10:44 PM
"...um...classes?" asked the warforged. He had no knowledge of what mysteries lay behind the fourth wall. "Well...I can make and use magic items..." he states, holding up his bag of various items: wands, rings, amulets, etc. "To be fair, some of this was in my master's house when I awoke..."

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: Lance is oblivious to the fourth wall. Fun times.

Devixer
2010-02-08, 10:50 PM
"So... Loremaster? Maybe homebrew?" Kinamae can't think of any core classes that fit that description, and prestige classes fail him as well.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 05:20 AM
"Had better not be homebrew." scowled Emily. "If i'd known they were allowed, i'd have taken some levels in Jewellcaster by now."

Fourth Wall? What fourth wall? THERE IS NO SPOON.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-09, 08:46 AM
Just so you all know, I'm in a hotel right now with spotty internet so I may not always be able to post 1/day for the next few weeks. Plot resumes when you guys leave the tavern.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 09:21 AM
I guess we'll have to stay in the tavern then. Have fun!

Devixer
2010-02-09, 09:33 AM
"Homebrew seems doubtful. Perhaps a race ability."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 09:49 AM
"Bah. Rotten races... you know, i can't get this awesome prestige class cause i'm not 'elfy' enough." she complained. "My grandmother was a half-elf, you know!"

lostlittlebear
2010-02-09, 02:48 PM
No, no, what I meant to say was feel free to spend as long in the tavern as you'd like. The plot will resume once you guys leave.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 05:10 PM
Ahkay. XD
"So, is that all of us?" asked Emily, cocking her head to the side.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 05:48 PM
"Believe so. No-one else touched scroll." Kinamae finishes off his tea, and places some extra gold on the counter. "For reconstruction."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 05:50 PM
"I'd give you money too, but... i don't have any." grinned Emily winningly.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:06 PM
"Would ask why, but would lead to back story. Not yet." Kinamae replaced his mask, covering his mouth and nose.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 06:09 PM
She suddenly panicked.
"We need back story?!" she said, looking around suspiciously. "I didn't sign up for that."

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:13 PM
"Not neccessarily. Could go for cliché backstory, like me."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 06:14 PM
"My player is a perfectionist. I'll probably end up having killed my parents and been raised by a monastery to explain the neutral." she said, eyes darting back and forth.

Dance, puppets, dance.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:17 PM
"Don't know feeling. Player procastinates. Won't develop for a while."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 06:20 PM
"Lucky you." she complained.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:24 PM
"Wouldn't say that. You have personality," Kinamae says with no facial expression.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 06:27 PM
"I'm based on my player with only minor differences and seventy tonnes of wish fulfilment." she complained.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:30 PM
"Better than nothing but mask and poison."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 06:30 PM
"Easy for you to say."

Viera Champion
2010-02-09, 06:33 PM
"Will your two stop it!! The fourth wall is only a pile of dust because of you!"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 06:34 PM
"The fourth wall is overrated." muttered Emily.

I agree, said her player.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:34 PM
"Exacty my point." Kinamae stood up."If you're ready, leaving now."

"Fourth wall not currently necessary."

Viera Champion
2010-02-09, 06:40 PM
Sarah crosses her arms and grumbles angrily.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 06:45 PM
"No need to get upset. It's done."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 07:04 PM
"Yep." said Emily. "So... shall we go soon then?"

We kind of need everyone to be here.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 07:08 PM
"Should leave soon. Want to get this done," Kinamae says.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 07:19 PM
"That's what i just said."

Devixer
2010-02-09, 07:34 PM
"Consider meaning reinforced." Kinamae slanderizes himself in his mind.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 07:38 PM
"Is that an accent?" she asked.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 07:46 PM
"...Didn't hear correctly. Could you repeat?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-09, 07:48 PM
"Is that an accent you're speaking in." she said loudly.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 07:55 PM
"No need to increase volume. Heard, didn't understand. Not speaking in accent that am aware of." Kinamae stepped towards the door. "Perhaps should continue outside."

Derjuin
2010-02-09, 08:57 PM
"We probably ought to get on with the trip, so long as the storm's subsided a little...if it's still as strong, I'm not entirely sure I want to go out in it again." Minaka says, cursing her luck for not taking Control Weather as a spell.

Devixer
2010-02-09, 09:06 PM
"Will check outside." Kinamae walks to the door and peers outside. He then walks back. "Storm has subsided enough to make progress."

Derjuin
2010-02-09, 09:42 PM
"I'm ready to leave whenever, then. Unless someone needs to stay?" Minaka asks, looking around the room at the other five. "I just realized, I don't think we've actually introduced ourselves? At least, I don't recall anyone's name..."

Devixer
2010-02-09, 10:01 PM
"Name..." For a moment, Kinamae thinks of pulling the "amnesiac" card, but decides that would be too cruel.

"...Hurasi."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-10, 05:19 AM
"I'm Emily." said Emily, in case someone forgot.

Devixer
2010-02-10, 03:56 PM
Kinamae notices that the scroll is still in his hand. He hands it out for Emily to take. "Believe you were first to touch this."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-10, 03:58 PM
"...does that mean i have to look after it?" she scowled.

Devixer
2010-02-10, 04:00 PM
"Only if you want to. Was only offering." Kinamae actually wanted to make amends for pulling a crossbow on her, but decides to make that bit non-verbal.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-10, 04:02 PM
"Too much trouble." she said with a shrug. "We need someone lawful to carry it."

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 04:10 PM
Lance looks up at this. "...um...I think I'm lawful. At least, I follow rules..." He looks around at the group, utterly confused. "...you can call me Lance, by the way..."

Devixer
2010-02-10, 04:10 PM
"Believe only your friend is Lawful," Kinamae says while nodding towards the warforged.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-10, 04:11 PM
"Lance, you look after the scroll then-" she said, before stopping suddenly. "Ohno."

Devixer
2010-02-10, 04:15 PM
"What?" Kinamae says while handing the scroll to Lance.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-10, 04:19 PM
"You're doing what i say." she said, lookin around in suspicion. "That puts me in charge. I CAN'T BE IN CHARGE!"

Devixer
2010-02-10, 04:21 PM
"Don't have to be in charge. Short term quest."

Derjuin
2010-02-10, 05:48 PM
"Oh, and my name's Minaka," She says, smiling to each of her new party members. "Pleasure to meet you folks."

Devixer
2010-02-10, 05:51 PM
"Nice to meet you," Kinamae says while heading to the door. "Should go. Before storm comes back."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 04:51 AM
She held her arms against her chest, as if hugging herself. "I don't do in charge..."

In more ways than one. (Wink, shot)
[spoiler] Don't you think this (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html) would be perfect for your character, Daelrog?

Devixer
2010-02-11, 09:14 AM
Kinamae is apathetic to the flirtatious undertone of Emily's statement. Be continues out the door of the tavern, gesturing behind his back to the others to follow.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 09:29 AM
She rolled her eyes, and followed him.

daelrog
2010-02-11, 11:20 AM
Bran looked up from his book on Damsels and Princess: How to Tell Them Apart and Why, removing his spectacles and placeing them neatly behind his back, that mysterious place where one could hide everything of importance, and draw it back whenever the time became necessary, or the author finally remembered to reintroduce it. The introductions and discussions of who was who were finally dealt with, and the adventure was to begin!

"Onward ho!" Surprisingly sobered up, yet surprisingly still one track minded, he walked out of the bar in more of a gallant march than a walk.

Meh, too strong for my taste. Maybe, maybe if this turns into a longner story Bran can level up enough to be strong. For now, he's probably the weakest member by a fair bit. Fun read though:smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 11:22 AM
"Oh, finished with the book?" grinned Emily. "So, am i a damsel or a princess?" she said, fluttering her eyes.

She loves taunting lawfuls. Also, setting them on fire. Anyway, i didn't mean for now, maybe when he levels or something. Just seems to suit him. XD

Forever Curious
2010-02-11, 11:28 AM
"...I suppose you can call me Lance..." states the warforged, a blank expression on his face. Of course, he didn't have much of a choice, his head being sculpted not to change.

daelrog
2010-02-11, 11:28 AM
"Not sure. Don't worry though, we'll find out soon enough when a dragon, evil warlock, or ten-headed, wizard-eating, womanizing bandersnatch attacks us."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 12:18 PM
"Hi Lance." grinned Emily, before stopping. "I must have missed a manual. What's a bandersnatch?"

Viera Champion
2010-02-11, 12:20 PM
"Who cares about bandersnatches. We must always be wary of the jub jub bird. Anyway, I'm Sarah."

Forever Curious
2010-02-11, 12:21 PM
"Not sure. Don't worry though, we'll find out soon enough when a dragon, evil warlock, or ten-headed, wizard-eating, womanizing bandersnatch attacks us."

And the momewraths outgabe :smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2010-02-11, 12:24 PM
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms my beamish boy.
Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 12:29 PM
Oh. I'll fetch my vorpal blade.

"Jub jub bird?" she wondered. "I must have missed a manual."

Derjuin
2010-02-11, 12:44 PM
"I'll be outside as well," Minaka says, following Emily and Hurasi out the door. "What's a 'bandersnatch'? And I've never heard of a jub jub bird before..."

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble the wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Hehe =3

Viera Champion
2010-02-11, 12:53 PM
Sarah also exits the inn. She doesn't speak as she does though.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 01:54 PM
"I dunno." said Emily. "I think it must be in a Monster manual i haven't got hold of..."

And Lix deals 583D6 damage to the fourth wall!

Viera Champion
2010-02-11, 01:57 PM
I find it funny that you capitalized Monster in monster manual, but not the letter i.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-11, 02:54 PM
As the adventurers leave the inn and it's sobbing owner, they find themselves standing under mysteriously clear skies. Before them lies a crossroads, with one road marked "danger" and the other marked "danger"?

In front of the sign lies a glowing stone, with the shape of a handprint carved into it. Something tells you this is probably one of the DM's lame riddles again.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 04:32 PM
"Let's go that way." said Emily, pointing to the former one. "More XP. Probably."

Devixer
2010-02-11, 06:43 PM
Kinamae hears Emily's statement, but does not respond. Instead, he approaches the glowing rock. He kneels in order to examine it more closely, but decides it would be best not to touch it for now.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-11, 06:58 PM
Emily frowned. She hadn't noticed the rock.

"Detect Magic." she declared.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-12, 04:00 PM
Emily detects a strong divination aura exuding from the rock, and lesser ones from the signs. Whoever set up this puzzle is clearly a strong mage.

Derjuin
2010-02-12, 07:44 PM
"That's an odd stone," Minaka says, looking over Hurasi's shoulder. Shortly after Emily casts Detect Magic, Minaka asks, "What kind of magic is on that thing?"

Devixer
2010-02-12, 07:58 PM
Kinamae continues to examine the stone. "Abjuration likely." He looks at the shape carved into it, then at his own hand. "No. Too dangerous," he says to himself.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-13, 09:03 AM
She shook her head. "Divination. The... er... see-y one. Yeah, divination. Weird... what's that doing on a stone?"

Derjuin
2010-02-13, 02:52 PM
"Divination? That is odd... maybe someone's trying to spy on us?" She says, trying to figure out why divination magic would be on a rock.

Devixer
2010-02-13, 03:11 PM
"Perhaps challenge. Explains carved shape," Kinamae said, still focused on the handprint.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-13, 03:13 PM
"I know the sensible thing to do." said Emily with a grin, reaching to pick up the stone.

Forever Curious
2010-02-13, 03:14 PM
Lance looked at the stone quizzically. "...perhaps I should touch it..." mutters the warforged, putting his hand on the rock.

Lix Lorn
2010-02-13, 03:19 PM
"...good idea." she said, backing off.

Devixer
2010-02-13, 03:22 PM
"Don't know what could do," Kinamae protested. "Could be trap."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-13, 03:24 PM
"Only one way to find out." said Emily from a safe distance.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-13, 10:59 PM
As the warforged puts his hand on the rock, he is covered by a burst of multi-colored light. In a flash of smoke, three wizened old men appear.

-cough cough-

"Godamnit Cletus! I told you to cut back on the smoke!"

"Sorry, Jones - they cut our budget for special effects last year!"

"-psst- Hey, guys! We've got PCs watching us! Pull yourself together, will you? This could be our big break!"

Hurriedly arranging themselves in a line before you, the old men intone as one.

"We are the guardians of the crossroads. One road leads to death, the other to success. To pass our test, you must answer riddles three."

Devixer
2010-02-13, 11:32 PM
Kinamae moaned inside his mind. Riddles? This quest was going to be original, he could already tell. Nevertheless, they had to progress. That meant answering them.

"Ask riddles."

Derjuin
2010-02-13, 11:56 PM
Minaka groans as the three old men announce their purpose. "Riddles...? I'm terrible with riddles..." She mumbles to herself, then shrugs. There are six of us here; we should do fine...

"Alright then, let's have them; what are your riddles?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-14, 04:41 AM
"I'm AWESOME at riddles." boasted Emily. "Wait, are they intelligence or Wisdom based?"

lostlittlebear
2010-02-14, 01:37 PM
The first old man steps forward.

"The first riddle is the riddle of LITERALLY."

"Behold - the question!"

"What, pray ask, 'tis long, brown and sticky?"

Derjuin
2010-02-14, 02:17 PM
"Hmm," Minaka put her hand to her chin, thinking. Literal. Literal... literal... Then an idea popped into her head. "Is it a stick?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-14, 03:14 PM
"That was EASY. My brother could have gotten that, and he used intelligence AND wisdom as dump stats." grinned Emily.

Argh. I've been mixing up roleplays. (Goes to edit)

Devixer
2010-02-14, 06:56 PM
"Easy... if correct." Just in case, Kinamae prepared a backup answer.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-14, 10:58 PM
A small fanfare plays as the old men clap their hands.

"Absolutely correct!"

The next old man steps forth... funny, they all look exactly alike, even down to the wrinkles on their prune-like faces.

"Next, is the Python's riddle of REFERENCE."

"Behold! The question!"

"What, pray tell, 'tis the overland flight speed of an unladen swallow?"

Devixer
2010-02-14, 11:21 PM
"Can answer." Kinamae stepped forward. "But first must know: African or European swallow?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-15, 08:46 AM
"Easy." agreed Emily.

daelrog
2010-02-15, 10:07 AM
"A-fric-a? Eur-ope? Who would name anything such silly gobbledy-guk?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-15, 10:22 AM
"The effort is amusing, but we shattered the fourth wall a page or so back. Silly Lawful types." she said.

Devixer
2010-02-15, 10:12 PM
"Leave fourth wall alone. Needs time to rebuild."

lostlittlebear
2010-02-16, 12:32 AM
The old man looks confused for a second, then bursts out into laughter.

"ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!"

Another fanfare plays - the recording is obviously on a loop.

"Oh fair adventurers, you have answered the past two riddles, but this riddle is the hardest of all."

"BEHOLD! The riddle of tooobviouslyeasytohaveafancynamebutnonethelessstum psmostfoolsanyway!"

"What, pray tell, grows larger the more you take out of it?"

daelrog
2010-02-16, 12:35 AM
Well THAT was obvious. It was no doubt the happiness and joy of Baldr, lord of all things divinely superb. He began to speak up...

Devixer
2010-02-16, 01:04 AM
"Don't answer, paladin. Too many of you put faith before logic."

Derjuin
2010-02-16, 08:18 AM
Minaka turns to her comrades-in-riddlearms and whispers, "Do you think it could be a hole?"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-16, 10:56 AM
"I'll leave the fourth wall alone when i DIE. And even that's a fifty-fifty chance." she said. "Yeah, a hole."

lostlittlebear
2010-02-17, 02:06 PM
Sorry guys, RL's been getting in the way of post rate. Will post soon.

Devixer
2010-02-19, 09:44 PM
That's fine.

Devixer
2010-02-20, 07:20 PM
Kinamae rolls his eyes, but making sure to face away from Emily. "Hole most logical answer."

Lix Lorn
2010-02-20, 07:28 PM
"Don't mention logic around me..." she muttered.

lostlittlebear
2010-02-21, 02:16 AM
With a thunderous round of applause and cheesy gameshow music, the old men whirl the sign round and round.

"ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!" they yell.

As the sign comes to a halt, you see that the sign with the word "Danger" has disappeared, making it painfully clear that there is where safety lies.

"Congratulations for passing this test, adventurers."

"And if you ever need a riddle, give us a ring at Johnson, Johnson and Johnson, Riddlers since 1205."

"Good luck!"

Lix Lorn
2010-02-21, 05:11 AM
"....that was pointless..." muttered Emily. "We had better get XP for that."