PDA

View Full Version : Keeping secrets

FabuVinny
2010-02-06, 03:39 PM
So we know that Girard didn’t trust Soon and kept the real location of the gate secret from him, putting a huge wrench into the current arc. But the Order of the Stick aren’t so different. Team members blowing each up aside, there’s some distrust and secrets that is expected to come out before we leave the desert, creating a parallel between the teams that I’m sure the commentary of the next book will be all over.

Roy knows that Belkar will die soon. While he does bring this up in #666, Haley assumes he is talking about the end of the entire quest and Roy doesn’t clarify. I’d say there are plenty of good reasons to keep this secret to himself – for both Belkar and society as a whole – but this might have an impact later.

V doesn’t have any excuses. (S)he hasn’t told anyone about the whole soul splice deal. Considering hir debt to the IFCC, this is a very big deal. Roy would probably be interested to know what Blackwing saw in the rift too.

And, of course, there’s Haley. She’s actually improving since she’s began to be more open with Elan but the rest of the Order still don’t know about her father’s imprisonment. For his part, Elan chose to be completely open even when his bardic instincts told him otherwise but he’s still keeping Haley’s secrets now.

Belkar and Durkon don’t have any big secrets, though Belkar has the whole ‘pretend to be a productive member of society’ thing going on. Durkon is just Durkon.

Gift Jeraff
2010-02-06, 03:43 PM
It's never flat-out said, but I think Vaarsuvius knows about Ian Starshine's imprisonment.

ClockShock
2010-02-06, 03:51 PM
It's never flat-out said, but I think Vaarsuvius knows about Ian Starshine's imprisonment.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html
Quite strongly implied though.
(Note: Haley tries to tell Elan "My dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator." and only after that thinks of a secret that "Even V doesn't know")

Edit:
Also, what does it show for Durkon's character if he's the only one not hiding something?

bsparrow
2010-02-06, 04:00 PM
Also, what does it show for Durkon's character if he's the only one not hiding something?

More, what will he think of everyone else, when all these little secrets come out, as they inevitably must? :smallbiggrin:

It wouldn't be the first time Durkon's been oblivious to all things deceptive, anyway.

(SoD spoilers)
His own boss, the high priest of Thor, kicked him out because he couldn't be bothered to tell Durkon about a prophecy from Odin, detailing that Durkon's return would bring destruction in its wake. Considering Durkon is prophecied to return posthumously, I suspect that's something Durkon will never find out, but you can be sure it'll bite someone else in the butt. :smalltongue:

NerfTW
2010-02-06, 04:01 PM
Haley did understand that he meant six weeks to live. If they beat Xykon within six weeks, then they turn on Belkar and imprison him, like Hinjo said they would. Otherwise, as noted, Belkar is a powerful ally for the fight, so they aren't going to get rid of him before Xykon is defeated. They would much rather his ploy outlast the current mission, so they don't have to either lose him or get distracted at a key moment.

(SoD spoilers)
His own boss, the high priest of Thor, kicked him out because he couldn't be bothered to tell Durkon about a prophecy from Odin, detailing that Durkon's return would bring destruction in its wake. Considering Durkon is prophecied to return posthumously, I suspect that's something Durkon will never find out, but you can be sure it'll bite someone else in the butt. :smalltongue:

You assume that
Durkon isn't brought back to life after returning home. It makes sense if the last gate is in the north, to just use the Dwarven clerics to raise him. It wouldn't make sense to leave him dead during the final battle.

Strawberries
2010-02-06, 04:05 PM
So we know that Girard didn’t trust Soon and kept the real location of the gate secret from him, putting a huge wrench into the current arc. But the Order of the Stick aren’t so different.

I think that the Order of the Scribble's problems went well beyond the keeping secrets. The main problem between Girard and Soon seemed to be the irreconcilable differences (probably mainly in alignment, but that's just a theory) that were somehow sharpened by Kraagor's death.
No such contrast at the moment between the member of the order of the stick, not on that scale anyway, aside from Belkar, who is, well, Belkar. He is supposed to bring conflict wherever he goes, but he seems to be pretty much under control.

Roy knows that Belkar will die soon. While he does bring this up in #666, Haley assumes he is talking about the end of the entire quest and Roy doesn’t clarify.

I don't think this is the case. He says Belkar's fate will be the problem of someone bony with a big scythe, it seems pretty clear to me that he is implying Belkar's death.

EDIT ninjaed on my second point by NerfTW.

ClockShock
2010-02-06, 04:11 PM
I think that the Order of the Scribble's problems went well beyond the keeping secrets. The main problem between Girard and Soon seemed to be the irreconcilable differences (probably mainly in alignment, but that's just a theory) that were somehow sharpened by Kraagor's death.

What it be too much to propose that the underlying hostilities in Order'Scribble caused the secrets between them.
And conversly, that the underlying secrets in Order'Stick will lead to hostility between them.
:smallconfused:

Strawberries
2010-02-06, 04:20 PM
What it be too much to propose that the underlying hostilities in Order'Scribble caused the secrets between them.
And conversly, that the underlying secrets in Order'Stick will lead to hostility between them.
:smallconfused:

I agree on the first, not sure on the second, but tend to disagree. The order of the stick seems a pretty close-knit group. When there has been hostility (I'm thinking of V and Durkon, for intance), they have always been able to move past.

bsparrow
2010-02-06, 04:20 PM
I can see V's as being a real sticking point, though the results of the rest may not be as severe on the party's dynamics.

As was said in the OP, Roy keeping Belkar's death to himself would be understandable to anyone but Belkar... and he's pretty hostile anyway, so what difference is that going to make? Heck, knowing Haley's secret may actually be a redeeming factor in the good-aligned Oots's eyes, since it explains the motivations of several actions that would otherwise be explained only by greed.

V's, though... yeah. :smalleek:

And NerfTW, yeah, good point. I can see that scene now... welcome back to life, Durkon, and welcome back home! Now grab your hammer; Xykon's in the midst of destroying Kraagor's Gate! :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-02-06, 05:39 PM
...what does it show for Durkon's character if he's the only one not hiding something?

He isn't. Durkon has at least one well-kept secret of his own. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html) (It's from the Dungeon Crawlin' Fools era, for those out there with spoiler worries.)

Or did you all skip that one on purpose?

Koretsu
2010-02-07, 04:35 AM
He isn't. Durkon has at least one well-kept secret of his own. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html) (It's from the Dungeon Crawlin' Fools era, for those out there with spoiler worries.)

Or did you all skip that one on purpose?

I'm not sure I'm finding any big secrets in that dialogue. :smallconfused:

Math_Mage
2010-02-07, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure I'm finding any big secrets in that dialogue. :smallconfused:

The fact that he slept with Hilgya at all may qualify...

Ancalagon
2010-02-07, 05:47 AM
The fact that he slept with Hilgya at all may qualify...

In regard to your group: It's not a "secret", more "really none of your business". And so far we have (Durkon has) no indication at all it's relevant in any way.

Asta Kask
2010-02-07, 05:48 AM
He's fraternizing with the enemy!!!

ClockShock
2010-02-07, 08:47 AM
In regard to your group: It's not a "secret", more "really none of your business". And so far we have (Durkon has) no indication at all it's relevant in any way.

Agreed, it's not so much deceiving the rest of the party, it's just not telling them every single thing which happens to you. I imagine they wouldn't really care anyway.
Of course saying this, Elan isn't really hiding any secrets either. It's Haley who is keeping the whole captured by a dictator thing a secret from Roy. Elan just knows about it.

ThePhantasm
2010-02-07, 10:40 AM
Maybe keeping secrets is a major theme of this book. After all, it appears that hte Order of the Scribble kept secrets from each other as well. Their problems went far beyond that, of course, but all big problems have to start somewhere....