PDA

View Full Version : Do you recognize this game? (Most likely Finnish)

Grey Paladin
2010-02-06, 03:58 PM
How is it called?.. More importantly, has it ever been translated?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Shdow/GRIMDARKPENGUINS.jpg

EDIT: I hope it actually IS an RPG, and that 4chan hasn't tricked me into being epicly disappointed by the lack of a penguin RPG.

Totally Guy
2010-02-06, 04:13 PM
Looks real. But obscure. (http://www.nordicscene.org/?tag=penguins)

I've only done Mouse Guard myself.

Mary Leathert
2010-02-06, 04:28 PM
Yes, it's Finnish. And yes it's real. And it's an RPG. But it isn't very known, so I higly doubt that it has been translated. The name does translate as "The Valley of Eternity - A roleplaying game about penguins".

I know about the game because the roleplaying club of our university had a quiz as a part of its Christmas party and one of the questions was "Which game has [something] and Fat as some of its stats?". This game was the answer. Yes, in this game, having Fat is a good thing. If I remember correctly, it's pretty close to HP in many other games. I haven't played this though.

Grey Paladin
2010-02-06, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help! too bad I will likely never get to play it..

Glug: You have Fat and Philosophy as stats (philosophy gives you the equivalent of magic in that setting). I'd say that's somewhat more awesome.

ClockShock
2010-02-06, 05:14 PM
That. Looks. AWESOME!

Kallisti
2010-02-06, 05:31 PM
The Valley of Eternity--a tragic, philosophic arctic RPG about freakin' penguins!

Can I get a "HELL YES?!"

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-06, 05:33 PM
Somebody must (legally!) translate this!

I, like many others, would LOVE to play a penguin RPG!

Edit: HELL YES!

CTLC
2010-02-06, 05:34 PM
The Valley of Eternity--a tragic, philosophic arctic RPG about freakin' penguins!

Can I get a "HELL YES?!"

HELL YES?!

Mushroom Ninja
2010-02-06, 06:22 PM
Somebody must (legally!) translate this!

I, like many others, would LOVE to play a penguin RPG!

Edit: HELL YES!

+1

I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who wouldn't want to play a penguin RPG.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-06, 06:26 PM
+1

Perhaps somebody who doesn't like AWESOME?

Bibliomancer
2010-02-06, 06:33 PM
Perhaps somebody who doesn't like AWESOME?

Or someone who thinks having prehensile thumbs are a prerequisite for holding tools like spears.

However, this does look very interesting, and having Fat as a beneficial stat makes sense in an Arctic environment, where fat would be both food and insulation.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-06, 06:43 PM
However, this does look very interesting, and having Fat as a beneficial stat makes sense in an Arctic environment, where fat would be both food and insulation.

Not to mention it can lead to many lolz. :smallbiggrin:

Boci
2010-02-06, 06:49 PM
Or someone who thinks having prehensile thumbs are a prerequisite for holding tools like spears.

Step one: Make said person take a pen and some paper and write "Rule of Cool" down 1000 times.
Step two: Do they still think having prehensile thumbs are a prerequisite for holding tools like? See step one.

Trenelus
2010-02-06, 07:01 PM
Excellent game, our group has played it once now.

I recommend this game to everyone, who
can handle the fact that you are playing a penguin. One of us
didn't get in the end, and so a promising, young penguin hero
commited suicide because of the insignificance of life

But you must remember two rules:

"Keep your poker face"
&
"The Glacier wins always"

Bibliomancer
2010-02-06, 07:02 PM
Step one: Make said person take a pen and some paper and write "Rule of Cool" down 1000 times.
Step two: Do they still think having prehensile thumbs are a prerequisite for holding tools like? See step one.
Step Three: Demonstrate that all anthropomorphic animals can exude miniature forcefields that function like human hands [other examples: Veggie Tales*, Pengu].
Step Four: if Step Three doesn't work, make them play a wizard philosopher.

*Vegetables, in this case.

"The Glacier wins always"

I assume, this being the Antarctic, that a major game theme is the struggle to simply survive?

Totally Guy
2010-02-06, 07:08 PM
Well we're not going to survive.

We're going to live damn it!

Well... That's what they say in Mouse Guard.:smallwink:

Comet
2010-02-06, 07:14 PM
Ever since that game came out I've been wanting to play it so much. The last I heard from the designer,though, there won't be a translation anytime soon and my regular group isn't that excited by the game's premise.

It's pretty funny actually. My two favourite games to try out at the moment are both Finnish. The Finnish roleplaying scene has gronw so much over the past few years.
We need translations for this and STALKER, both. These gems deserve to be shared internationally!

Edit: The most awesome thing with Ikuisuuden Laakso, to me, is the character of the anti-penguins. These are basically outcasts of the penguin society who have travelled into the cold wasteland and embraced the death that lurks within.
They gain a white colouring and a set of abilites called "gifts of the glacier". These are basically mystic powers that replace the regular penguin's "philosophy" abilities that are more basic survival stuff.
They're, as you might guess, the anti-heroes of this setting and they look so badass. Check out the cover, for instance. That's an anti-penguin right there.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-06, 07:14 PM
Well we're not going to survive.

We're going to live damn it!

My players are currently exploring Xen'drik in an Eberron campaign. If one of them gets ranks in Decipher Script, that might be an interesting set of runes to place on an abandoned stone crumbling apart in the middle of the jungle, next to a fruitcake.*

*Which are generally believed to be indestructible.

Hiisi
2010-02-06, 07:28 PM
I found an intro text about the game (it's in finnish: http://www.nordicrpg.fi/julkaisut/ikuisuuden-laakso/). Here's a quick translation:

The Valley of Eternity is a place where penguins go to die. The endless glacier of Antarctica is a merciless enemy. Only the bravest of penguin heroes and the most malicous anti-penguins can survive it.

A penguin hero lives his life in solitude. He has seen things a common penguin can't even dream of. His fate is to perish, abandoned by his own tribe. Anti-penguin lives in the embrace of the glacier, but as long as warm blood flows through his veins, he can never truly be one with it.

The valley of eternity is a roleplaying game about heroism and the price you have pay for it. It contains fierce battles, epic adventures and troublesome philosophical choices.

The glacier always wins.

Anti-Penguins sound scary.

Comet
2010-02-06, 07:29 PM
So, anybody here more in touch with the Finnish scene than I? We need someone to drop Juhana (the author) an email and make this translation happen! :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-06, 07:39 PM
Let's start a petition! Petitions always work, right? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I would very much support a translation of this. At almost any cost!

Zeta Kai
2010-02-06, 08:00 PM
HELL YES?!

Ditto.:smallbiggrin:

Fhaolan
2010-02-06, 09:38 PM
What is it with Finland and the other nearby countries? They develop all the really cool LARP stuff, all the really fascinating table-top RPGs, and I'm told their computer games are also of this caliber. There must be something in the water...

Oh, and HELL YEAH! I wanna play a penguin hero!

CTLC
2010-02-06, 09:41 PM
i kinda want to play an anti-penguin. or be the glacier...

OracleofWuffing
2010-02-06, 09:43 PM
The most awesome thing with Ikuisuuden Laakso, to me, is the character of the anti-penguins. These are basically outcasts of the penguin society who have travelled into the cold wasteland and embraced the death that lurks within.
Wait, so you're telling me that these anti-penguins travel from the cold wasteland into the cold wasteland? Sign me up.

And I guess I'll be the one to ask, "Full of fish?"

Grey Paladin
2010-02-07, 03:21 AM
I suggest we kidn-err, gather all the Finnish-speaking members of the board and 'convince' them to translate it. Them or the author.

Also, HELL YES

EDIT: Trenelus: don't taunt us barbaric heathens incapable of understanding the icetongue.

Adumbration
2010-02-07, 05:02 AM
I suggest we kidn-err, gather all the Finnish-speaking members of the board and 'convince' them to translate it. Them or the author.

Also, HELL YES

EDIT: Trenelus: don't taunt us barbaric heathens incapable of understanding the icetongue.

Heh. I'm willing to help with the translations, if someone manages A) get a permission of the author B) get an online copy of the game. :smalltongue:

Comet
2010-02-07, 05:44 AM
Heh. I'm willing to help with the translations, if someone manages A) get a permission of the author B) get an online copy of the game. :smalltongue:

The author had plans of distributing the game as a PDF sooner or later, so that part should be covered nicely.
No takers, then? Okay, I'll try to take this up at a certain forum where I think most of the core scene dudes from Finland lurk/post and see where things go. Fingers crossed, peeps!

Edit

Wait, so you're telling me that these anti-penguins travel from the cold wasteland into the cold wasteland? Sign me up.
yeah, because the regular wasteland is just not badass enough for them. They go and find the places where the other penguins simply cannot travel and live to tell the tale. They find the hell within the hell and make it their own :smallcool:

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-07, 06:02 AM
What is it with Finland and the other nearby countries? They develop all the really cool LARP stuff, all the really fascinating table-top RPGs, and I'm told their computer games are also of this caliber. There must be something in the water...

Well...you might wanna ask some of the Finns that livepost here, but it seems Finland is a dull, cold, archaic and boring place, youth are forced to crank their imagination up to eleven just to survive. Not sure about surrounding countries, though.

The information on top was a comment made by a Finn, actually. I may be exaggerating, tho.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/disgaia-prinny-wallpaper-big.jpg

It's missing some Prinnies.

Still, doesn't mean the premise sounds dull and boring. You do have a penguin villain and quite probably the lingering chance that penguins start invading our lands because we're screwing with their turf.

Just think about that. If anyone still claims otherwise, present to them one Danny DeVito pic as the eponymous Penguin and tell said person "Ikuisuuden Laakso or this man will haunt your dreams". Rinse and repeat. No need to show Rule of Cool when good ol' intimidation works fine.

Hiisi
2010-02-07, 06:18 AM
The author had plans of distributing the game as a PDF sooner or later, so that part should be covered nicely.
No takers, then? Okay, I'll try to take this up at a certain forum where I think most of the core scene dudes from Finland lurk/post and see where things go. Fingers crossed, peeps!

I just ordered the game so I can take a look at it and see how hard it would be to translate(also want to try how awesome it is). I'm actually studying English and translation at university and this would be an interesting project :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2010-02-07, 06:21 AM
I just ordered the game so I can take a look at it and see how hard it would be to translate(also want to try how awesome it is). I'm actually studying English and translation at university and this would be an interesting project :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, translation is going to be the main bulk of my education, too. Should be fun, if we ever get this project off the ground.
I've posted the notice, let's just hope it gets picked up.

Grey Paladin
2010-02-07, 07:23 AM
I'm amazed you people are actually attempting something instead of idly musing at it and then forgeting it the next day. No matter how little may actually happen in the end, you are awesome.

Atelm
2010-02-07, 11:38 AM
The game looks awesome, though I hadn't even heard of it before.

This simply begs further investigation.

dragonfan6490
2010-02-07, 09:13 PM
It appears that Glacier is what the GM is called in this game. :smalltongue:

oxinabox
2010-02-07, 09:33 PM
It appears that Glacier is what the GM is called in this game. :smalltongue:

nice, thats up ther with the CoC GM being called the God

White_North
2010-02-07, 09:46 PM
Penguins? Heroic sacrices? Anti-penguins?

This can only mean one thing

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/Throndoror/GRIMDARKPENGUINS2.jpg

Comet
2010-02-08, 06:01 AM
Penguins? Heroic sacrices? Anti-penguins?

This can only mean one thing

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/Throndoror/GRIMDARKPENGUINS2.jpg

Nice catch :smallbiggrin: No wonder I fell instantly in love with this game.

By the way: things are moving forward. I'm going to mail Juhana today and see where we can go with this thing. I hope you guys don't mind if I link him here to see all the mad raving support his game has gathered? :smallsmile:

Iceforge
2010-02-08, 06:43 AM

Just a suggestion here, but if you would like to translate it, then you should contact the publishers/creators of it, starting with the creators (they might only have sold the rights for finish publication, if they are not actually publishing it themselves), tell them about your intention and try and cut a deal.

For us giantitp folk, it would be prefered to cut a deal in the likes of "You translate, convert into a pdf, they publish for a small price on a roleplaying website, such as RPGnow, and you get a share in the profit they make through sales there."

Key advantages here

1) They can publish it cheap, meaning advantage to us, as we are more likely to buy it cheap. This also gives them an advantage, as they do not have to worry about marketing; If the game is great, the little initial marketing they get here on giantitp could start a spread of the famous "word of mouth" effect and lead to high sales on an market they was not exploring already

2) Low cost for them; They do not have to make prints nor pay anyone to translate the PDF, as you are offering to do so. It is then entirely up to you if you offer that service for free (higher chance of a yes), a small one-time fee ((higher chance of no) or a low cut of the profits (say they sell it for 10$ pr. copy and they then have to give you 1$ for each copy sold, which I think has a higher probability of yes than a one time fee, as they are guaranteed that they don't have to pay you much, unless they are making a lot on the market)

3) They get to explore a market they are currently not connected to, as English speakers aren't going to buy a product in Finnish, if they do not already know that language

Killer Angel
2010-02-08, 06:44 AM

In finnish' water there are Amoebas (http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/encyclopedia/alphabetical/A.html#amoeba)... :smallbiggrin:

frogspawner
2010-02-08, 06:52 AM
Excellent game, our group has played it once now.
Is it based on a d20 system or d100, like BRP (or what)?

Mary Leathert
2010-02-08, 12:23 PM
I could volunteer for helping with the translation, if it ever gets off the ground.
I'm not excatly studying translation, but I'm studying English Philology (language&literature) at university.

Comet
2010-02-08, 12:57 PM
Update time!:

We're moving forward, just working out the kinks now. The game, when done, will be published by the original publisher either for free or at a marginal fee (Good ideas, Iceforge, duly noted and taken into consideration).

I'm going to mail the author back tomorrow when I'm not too tired to think straight. So far I can say that, if the game gets published as a commercial product, the translators would get a small fee for their pains. Do note, however, that we are not doing this for money. Any small income we receive would be just a fancy way of saying 'thanks for your time'.
The exact amount of translators we need is still open, going to have to think about that. The volunteers thus far will be kept in mind, naturally.

So, yeah. Exciting stuff. More updates as the situation warrants.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-08, 01:02 PM

Oh, and HELL YEAH! I wanna play a penguin hero!
I imagine the folk tales probably play a big part.

Seriously, it's to the point where it colors their metal music to make:
folk metal.

So, take the basic tone and theme of this game, put in an obsession with the savage brutality of the whole thing, and turn it into a metal song with accordions or violins and you've got about the right idea.

Although apparently folk metal artists themselves seem to think that "the kids" would just see it as "old man music with electric guitars."

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-08, 03:19 PM
Update time!:

We're moving forward, just working out the kinks now. The game, when done, will be published by the original publisher either for free or at a marginal fee (Good ideas, Iceforge, duly noted and taken into consideration).

I hope it is free, if only because I have no money with which to buy this AWESOME RPG. :smalltongue:

Comet
2010-02-10, 11:50 AM
Bump!

I hope it is free, if only because I have no money with which to buy this AWESOME RPG.

Sorry, but the publisher isn't going for a free product here. This isn't so much a case of wanting to make huge piles of cash with this thing, but rather a matter of pride. We're talking about a full 60+ page roleplaying game here, fully polished and all.

The good news is that the price will be laughably low. Everyone should be able to afford the game if they're not living a life of fighting bloody battles for their every meal out in the cold streets of Dystopia City.

In other news, I'm still waiting to receive my new copy of the game so that I can actually start planning the translation. I swear, it should've been here already. Damn postal service :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Adumbration
2010-02-10, 11:57 AM
Just popping in to say that I'm still volunteering to participate in the translation.

Aahh, this whole thing brings a wide grin to my face every time I open this thread. I even have the cover page as my laptop wallpaper. :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2010-02-10, 12:00 PM
Just popping in to say that I'm still volunteering to participate in the translation.

Aahh, this whole thing brings a wide grin to my face every time I open this thread. I even have the cover page as my laptop wallpaper. :smallbiggrin:

You think that's awesome? I'm thinking of having some artist make me an OOTS-style avatar of Tengen Toppa Gurren Penguin- as posted by White_North :smallbiggrin:

And yeah, consider yourself volunteered. I will be asking people for their emails for translation aid/ proofreading in the near future, so be sure to keep track of this thread, people!

Egiam
2010-02-10, 12:43 PM
I'd buy an reasonably priced PDF. If any Finnish-speakers get their hands on it, please share the basics of the system (d6 dice pool, d20-esque, ect)!

HELL YEAH!

Half-Full
2010-02-10, 01:58 PM
So you guys are saying that the publishers have agreed to let you translate it the awesome penguin RPG and then publish it online, where we get get our hands on it for a small fee? That is AWESOME!

And HELL YEAH!

Trenelus
2010-02-10, 02:58 PM
Is it based on a d20 system or d100, like BRP (or what)?

Better: it uses only d6's.
Ice cubes for anyone?

Here's my personal favorite penguin race from the game:
http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/l/5/50972-a-headless-penguin-antarctica-antarctica.jpg
Behold: Headless Baron
(Due to my inability to put picture's from PC,
this was the best I could find from internet.
But it shoud give you the idea...)
And no, there is no real penguin like that,
it was originally created by Fritz Pölking (http://www.poelking.com/).

Grey Paladin
2010-02-10, 03:37 PM
I'd buy an reasonably priced PDF. If any Finnish-speakers get their hands on it, please share the basics of the system (d6 dice pool, d20-esque, ect)!

HELL YEAH!

THIS .

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-10, 03:42 PM
Sorry, but the publisher isn't going for a free product here. This isn't so much a case of wanting to make huge piles of cash with this thing, but rather a matter of pride. We're talking about a full 60+ page roleplaying game here, fully polished and all.

I can respect that.

The good news is that the price will be laughably low. Everyone should be able to afford the game if they're not living a life of fighting bloody battles for their every meal out in the cold streets of Dystopia City.

...does being a high school student count? :smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-11, 12:50 AM
I'd buy a copy.

But mostly, I'm just posting to keep this thread floating on the shifting seas of dead and corpse-like threads.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-11, 07:13 PM
:smalleek: I just realized that we went from somebody posting a picture of an RPG about penguins they weren't even sure was real to getting together a group that will be translating said RPG into English. Truly this community is awesome.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-02-11, 07:15 PM
:smalleek: I just realized that we went from somebody posting a picture of an RPG about penguins they weren't even sure was real to getting together a group that will be translating said RPG into English. Truly this community is awesome.

When awesomness rears its awesome head, we must follow.

shadow_archmagi
2010-02-11, 09:26 PM
oh god this is the happiest place on earth

Amphetryon
2010-02-11, 09:28 PM
:smallmad: Thanks for the "It's a Small World" earworm.

Comet
2010-02-12, 08:49 AM
A slight bump here. Bumping things never gets old, does it?

I just received my fresh copy of the game. It's shiny. Going to read it again over the weekend and start putting things together after that.

...does being a high school student count?
Dude, high school students have it easy. Just abstain from indulging in junk food/ alcohol/ cigarettes/ vice of your choice for a week or so and you'll have enough money to buy this game at least three times over :smallwink:

And yes, this community is awesome. It's nice to know that there are people out there who enjoy awesome stories about awesome penguins. :smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2010-02-12, 09:00 AM
I hope it's a good system. All we have so far is the penguin theme which, although awesome, doesn't say anything about the the mechanics.

Comet
2010-02-12, 10:15 AM
I hope it's a good system. All we have so far is the penguin theme which, although awesome, doesn't say anything about the the mechanics.

The mechanics are very simplistic and streamlined. In a way it resembles White Wolf's dicepool system. You take your ability, add any bonuses granted by equipment or circumstance and throw that amount of six-sided dice. The results of 4,5 and 6 count as a "success", if I remember correctly. The more successes you gather, the merrier the party.

There are some variations (special combat manouvers and such), but all in all it's not very complex. The main bulk of excitement in combat comes from description and dramatic environmental interaction, not calculations of which body part you managed to hit with your spear and how much blood loss the enemy penguin suffers per turn.

The vast majority of the book is descriptive text, which I find very awesome. Juhana is an expert of the antarctic world and it really shows in this book. Lots of handy little info on how to make your adventures as immersive as possible and how the penguins interact with the world around them.

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-12, 03:15 PM
I have played this once and it was ok. I have nothing further to add.

Weimann
2010-02-12, 05:52 PM
I endorse this project, and would love to see the finished (no pun intended) project, and possibly buy it, just for lulz.

Grey Paladin
2010-02-13, 11:11 AM
I have played this once and it was ok. I have nothing further to add.
You have no soul.

Comet
2010-02-14, 02:29 PM
I endorse this project, and would love to see the finished (no pun intended) project, and possibly buy it, just for lulz.

Fun fact: despite the cute penguins, the themes that this game explores can be pretty darn grim at times. It is labeled as a tragedy about heroes that are doomed to be outcasts because they are unable to adapt to a safe, boring life.

Both the hero-penguins and anti-penguins reject a chance at a normal life by stepping up and protecting their fellows from the glacier. And yet, when all is said and done, those same fellows outcast them without thinking twice.
And thus every extraordinary penguing departs for the white wasteland, seeking more societies that require heroes and killers to solve their problems. They have no place in a region that is at peace, since normal penguins see them as uncomfortable reminders of darker times.

The contrast is really interesting. The game is about cute animals, but the stories about those animals usually tend to end up in unhappy ways. Victories are bittersweet at best.
Yet the heroes soldier on. No time to get too pessimistic. As long as you have your philosophical powers and fighting spirit, there is a place for you somewhere in the glacier.

The game offers opportunities to explore both utter, soul-crushing fatalism and epic triumph over insurmountable odds. It is both GRIMDARK and ROW-ROW-ROW-Fight-the-Power at the same time. And it's all about penguins :smallbiggrin:

Wow, that came out longer than I thought. Anyway:
Going to try my hand at translating the first few chapters tomorrow if all goes well.
Still not sure how many of you folk I need to help me out at this point. I will post a notice when I need contact information.

Comet
2010-02-15, 07:19 AM
Terribly sorry about the double post, but I need to bump this thing yet again.

Everyone who has expressed a desire to help out with the translation, please send me a PM with your contact information (email will do) on it.

It would be preferable if you already owned the game or could buy it within a reasonable span of time.
We'll sort out the details later, if there are any takers.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-15, 11:44 AM
The theme of the necessary barbarian.

That's badass. And it's part of a rich fantasy tradition.

Roupe
2010-02-15, 01:27 PM
Speaking character wise, I would want to point out the existence of prinnies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prinny

Regarding Finnish

google translate, can sort of translate it these days. Though the text can sometime be radically different. With strange faulty translations.

http://translate.google.com/

Comet
2010-02-16, 04:48 AM
Speaking character wise, I would want to point out the existence of prinnies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prinny

These penguins don't really do much spontaneous exploding. Well, some of them might, if their philosophical powers are particularly hot-blooded :smalltongue:

Regarding Finnish

google translate, can sort of translate it these days. Though the text can sometime be radically different. With strange faulty translations.

http://translate.google.com/

Tried that with the first few paragraphs, just for kicks and giggles. Hilarity ensued. Some sentences translate OK-ish, but most of the text becomes an utter mess.
It will be a cool day indeed when we can get actual, working translation programs. Until then we'll just do things the hard way :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2010-03-08, 06:51 AM
How is this thing coming along? :smallsmile:

Comet
2010-03-09, 12:38 PM
How is this thing coming along? :smallsmile:

We've had a bit of a lull, getting the team together and ensuring we have all the material we need for the job.
It's still happening, though. I'm a bit busy with other stuff at the moment, but translation should begin in a proper manner in about two weeks' time.

I figured this thread would've died a long time ago. Thanks for the bump, let's keep the interest up! :smallwink: