PDA

View Full Version : Negative Ac build?

V for Victory
2010-02-06, 03:58 PM
I remember stumbling across a negative AC build somewhere online awhile back asn I was wondering if anyone could help me find it. It used Banzai Charge, the shock trooper feat and rage in combination too lower your AC into the negatives then some magic item would heal you a portion of the insane damage you dealt.

If you can think of an item that could do this that would also be helpful

SurlySeraph
2010-02-06, 04:02 PM
A Weapon Crystal of Life-Drinking or a weapon with the Vampiric enhancement can do the second part. As for the build itself, it shouldn't be too hard to replicate it given that description.

FishAreWet
2010-02-06, 04:13 PM
Wrathful Healing from Enemies and Allies is a +3 that heals you for 1/2 of the damage that you deal.

V for Victory
2010-02-06, 04:19 PM
Is there a magic items that heals me proportional to the total damage I deal? vampiric is only for the bonus damage Thanks wrathful healing was just what i was looking for? :)

Dr.Epic
2010-02-06, 04:22 PM
Similar question: what's a 0 dex ability score do again? I know each of them results in one thing or another. One is a coma I remember.

Rad
2010-02-06, 04:26 PM
Similar question: what's a 0 dex ability score do again? I know each of them results in one thing or another. One is a coma I remember.

you can't move at all.

Eloel
2010-02-06, 04:29 PM
you can't move at all.

Can you cast Silent Still spells while you have Dex/Str 0 ?

V for Victory
2010-02-06, 04:38 PM
If I were your dm id say no cuz you need to access material components

Tanaric
2010-02-06, 04:39 PM

With eschew materials or componentless spells, yes.

A character with Dexterity 0 is paralyzed.

A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions.

Mordokai
2010-02-06, 04:40 PM

STR and DEX 0 means you can't move because you're too weak or clumsy, respectively. WIS, INT and CHA 0 means you're in a comma. CON 0 means you're dead.

If memory serves.

Fortuna
2010-02-06, 04:53 PM
Oh no, I'm in a punctuation mark :smallbiggrin:

lsfreak
2010-02-06, 05:45 PM
Not exactly what you were looking for, but this is something I posted a while ago.

Human Lion Totem Barbarian 2/Fighter4/Frenzied Berserker10.
Key Feats:
Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack
Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit
Extra Rage
(plus Cleave, Intimidating Rage, and Destructive Rage for prereqs)
Gear:
Keen Bodyfeeding Falchion (less likely to be banned than Wrathful Healing, but if you can get that instead, definitely take it).

Between two rages, Shock Trooper, and Robilar's Gambit, you're taking a massive negative to your AC. But you're also dropping a rather huge amount of damage on every attack, and every time someone attacks you in melee, they provoke an attack. A single crit gives you a huge pool of temporary hit points.

You're going to want miss chance, though, since that's going to be the only thing keeping hits from landing.

The biggest problem is massive feat requirements. Three prereqs, 3 for the Shock Trooper chain, 2 for Robilar's Gambit, and 1-2 more to make rage useful. Evasive Reflexes or Knockback may be in order to give yourself an option for trying to interrupt a full attack when you don't want to take it.
[EDIT: And by this being a problem, it means you can't really pull off what you're going for until mid levels. Though of course, with Shock Trooper, you're not particularly poor-off before then]

You can do something a bit similar with a psychic warrior, adding Mindfeeder to the weapon to add a regenerating source of power points as well. Haven't worked out the details of what a build would be like.

PersonMan
2010-02-06, 06:09 PM
Something with a large size and a penalty to Dexterity could start you out towards a negative AC. Unfortunately, many larger creatures have natural armor.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-06, 06:17 PM
Something with a large size and a penalty to Dexterity could start you out towards a negative AC. Unfortunately, many larger creatures have natural armor.

Does half ogre gives natural armor? because if it doesn't you are on your way

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 06:31 PM
Ronin has banzai charge at level 2.

The start would be:
Barbarian 2 / Fighter 4 / Ronin 2

That would let you (with shock trooper), on a charge, let you take a penalty to AC that's double your BAB. With a 2 handed weapon, PA is 1:2, and Banzai charge is 1:1, so you're up to 1:3. Add in Leap attack, and you're at 1:5.

The build's level 8, so that would be an AC penalty of 16.
PA would net 1:4 on its 8 point penalty, for +32 damage.
Banzai Charge would net 1:1, for another +8.

Add on Frenzied Berserker to the end of this?

Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Ronin 2/Frenzied Berserker 10

By level 13, you'd be getting -26 to AC, and you'd have the following bonuses:
PA (1:6): +78 damage
Ronin (1:1): +13 damage

By level 18? -36 to AC, and the following:
PA (1:8): +144 damage
Ronin (1:1): +18 damage

Barbarian gives easy access to pounce, and with the Wrathful Healing enhancement, we're looking at the following healing from bonus damage:

{table=header]Level | Damage | +Healing per hit | AC Penalty
8 | 40 | +20 | -16
13 | 91 | +45 | -26
18 | 162 | +81 | -36[/table]

Note: Chances are, two of your attacks are gonna be good, as well as any Robilar's AoO's. As whatever you're attacking is likely dead? The healing would be useful if you can find a way to get a charge when something's close enough to hit you. I like Travel Devotion myself, but belt of battle can do it, as can a number of swift action items that grant move actions.

The AC penalties will overshadow your AC at even mid levels, as long as you don't focus on it. I like Pierce Magical Concealment + Ring of Blinking for builds like this.

V for Victory
2010-02-06, 08:08 PM
I may sound stupid for asking this one but how does being a totem barbarian give you pounce, my copy of UA says it gives you the run feat and some skill bonuses, does that give you an equivalant of pounce

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-06, 08:13 PM
I may sound stupid for asking this one but how does being a totem barbarian give you pounce, my copy of UA says it gives you the run feat and some skill bonuses, does that give you an equivalant of pounce

Wrong Lion-Totem... it's the one from Complete Champion

Other things of note:

Stone Power + Shards of Granite. You have 10 temporary hit points per round which soaks up damage before it ever gets to you, and by doing so, you ignore DR and Hardness.

There's a 1st level Crusader stance which heals you 2 points every time you hit your opponent. This should provide a constant and steady stream of HP flowing in.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-06, 08:18 PM

Spirit Lion not Lion. You are looking at the wrong one.

faceroll
2010-02-06, 09:55 PM

As long as it lacks somatic and material components (unless the components are in hand), and you may have difficulty aiming it. So a stilled, silent spell with eschew materials would do it.

Runestar
2010-02-06, 10:39 PM
Throw in masochism (spell from BOED) if possible. Hey, if you are going to get hit, milk it for all it is worth.

Just curious - do shock trooper and banzai charge stack? So I take a penalty of twice my bab to my AC, for twice the PA benefit? I am thinking that since your AC is negligible (foes are going to hit you on a 2 or more with with full-out PA anyways), may as well sac it all the way. :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2010-02-06, 10:40 PM
This character needs a Bard/War Chanter party member, to be able to subtract their AC to add damage a 3rd time.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-06, 11:40 PM
Throw in masochism (spell from BOED) if possible. Hey, if you are going to get hit, milk it for all it is worth.

Just curious - do shock trooper and banzai charge stack? So I take a penalty of twice my bab to my AC, for twice the PA benefit? I am thinking that since your AC is negligible (foes are going to hit you on a 2 or more with with full-out PA anyways), may as well sac it all the way. :smallcool:

They do, as they are from different sources. However, things which increase PA do not increase Banzai Charge. So Leap Attack, Fighting with a two-handed weapon, etc? Don't affect it.

sofawall
2010-02-06, 11:45 PM
The healing would be useful if you can find a way to get a charge when something's close enough to hit you. I like Travel Devotion myself, but belt of battle can do it, as can a number of swift action items that grant move actions.

Boots of the Battle Charger give the ability to charge (up to move speed, not 2* move speed) as a Standard action a few times per day. Fairly useful for a charger.