PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 83: Ax Battler vs. Hephaestus

ArenaManager
2010-02-06, 06:04 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 83: Ax Battler vs. Hephaestus

Map:
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/11-scorers_glass_arena.png

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Introbulus - Ax Battler (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=3894)
Eurus - Hephaestus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169919)

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

Eurus
2010-02-06, 07:06 PM
Hmm, let's see.

Scrolls are crafted at -50% gp cost and -25% xp cost. UMD skill modifier with Skill Enhancement infusion factored in is +15.

Scroll of Entangle (6.25 gp, 1 craft xp, DC 21) [roll0]; [roll1]
Scroll of Sleep (6.25 gp, 1 craft xp, DC 21) [roll2]; [roll3]
Scroll of Sleep (6.25 gp, 1 craft xp, DC 21) [roll4]; [roll5]
Scroll of Magic Stone (6.25 gp, 1 craft xp, DC 21) [roll6]; [roll7]

Plus a sling (free) three pebbles (free) twenty sling bullets (2 sp) and a scythe (18 gp).

Total cost, assuming all of the scrolls are successfully created: 38 gp, 2 sp, 4 craft xp. If I manage to botch one or more of the scrolls, I'll give it another try.

And... [roll8]. Starting in M-23.

EDIT: All four scrolls were successfully crafted.

Trobby
2010-02-07, 10:38 AM
Hmm....a spellcaster, you say?

Purchases
-1 Universal Solvent
-1 Magic Armor Potion

My starting square is M4

And initiative. (If I win, I won't be starting until probably tomorrow.)

[roll0]

Eurus
2010-02-07, 11:39 AM
...I'm fairly sure that universal solvent doesn't mess with Entangle, right?

Round 1, Hephaestus
Anyway, starting with scroll in hand. Casting an infusion on myself, 1-round casting time. Spellcraft DC should be 16 to identify, assuming infusions are like spells in that regard:

Skill Enhancement (UMD)

Stats:
Hp: 6/6
AC: 14, Flat-Footed 12, Touch 12 (+2 dex, +2 armor)

No buffs.

End turn.

Trobby
2010-02-07, 05:18 PM
Round 1: Ax Battler

...Ah, you are right. Universal Solvent does NOT have any effect on Entangle. I was thinking of tanglefoot bags. Well...might as well keep it as long as I bought it. Incidentally, even though I could just draw it while I move this round, I'm starting with my sword in hand.

Nothing special this round. Just moving to J13 with a double-move.

Stat Block

HP: 14/14
AC: 11 (+3 Dex, -2 Flaw & Aggressive) Touch: 11 Flat: 8
Position: J13
Rage: 1/1 remaining, 8/8 rounds left, not active

End Turn

Eurus
2010-02-07, 09:27 PM
Hephaestus, Round 2

Move action to E-22. Standard to attempt to use my scroll of Entangle centered on the intersection of F-14/G-15.

Let me see if I make this check:
[roll0]

Eurus
2010-02-07, 09:28 PM
Okay, forgive my terrible lazy hack job of a map edit, but I think this should accurately show what spaces are hit by the 40-foot spread. The red square on the stairs should be you, and the red square in F-14/G-15 is the origin of the Entangle effect.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/DetrichLange/Entanglemap.jpg

So unless I'm mistaken, it's a DC 11 reflex save or be entangled and rooted in place.

End turn

Trobby
2010-02-07, 11:30 PM
Ax Battler, Round 2

Hmm...let's consider the spell...

Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those that enter the area, holding them fast and causing them to become entangled. The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.

So first thing's first, I get to see if I can escape through reflex, and if not, then I get to attempt to break out with a full-round action. Either way, I would get to move at half-speed, either through the area or just for the rest of my round. Since this determines the rest of my turn, I'll make both checks now, and determine my actions from there.

Reflex: [roll0] (DC: 11)
Strength: [roll1] (DC: 20)

Trobby
2010-02-07, 11:41 PM
Alright, since I made the roll, I'll move away from the entangled area, and across the top of the stairs. I'm pretty sure reduced movement only counts as long as I'm INSIDE the area of the entangle spell, so my movement is only hampered there. Factoring in the spell and the steps to reduce my movement, I end my turn in U16.

Stat Block

HP: 14/14
AC: 11 (+3 Dex, -2 Flaw & Aggressive) Touch: 11 Flat: 8
Position: U16
Rage: 1/1 remaining, 8/8 rounds left, not active

Eurus
2010-02-08, 10:47 AM
Dang, you're quick...

Round 3

Move to L-25, ready action.
Cast Sleep from scroll when I have LoE to Ax Battler.

Stats:
Hp: 6/6
AC: 14, Flat-Footed 12, Touch 12 (+2 dex, +2 armor)

Skill Enhancement

End turn

Trobby
2010-02-08, 07:33 PM
Ax Battler, Round 3

Hmm...I think it's time to start RAGIN'! (Rage Begins)

And since I can reach you, but can't attack you until I'm up close, I'll move into an adjacent square, M25.

I'm sure this will set off your Readied Action, so go ahead and do that first. (Accursed glass wall, blocking my charge attack! CURSE YOU, WALL!)

If there's a question about my exact movement, I've re-created my path here. (The pink blob is you).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/Introbulus/Unttitled.png

Stat Block:

HP: 16/16
AC: 9 (+3 Dex, -2 Flaw & Aggressive, -2 Rage) Touch: 9 Flat: 6
Position: Changing...
Rage: 0/1 remaining, 7/8 rounds left, not active

Eurus
2010-02-08, 07:40 PM
Yup, as soon as Hephaestus gets line of effect he uses his Sleep scroll. Will DC 11.

[roll0]

EDIT: I'm sorry, that should have an extra +2 from my Artisan Bonus (+2 to activate items that an artificer has the appropriate craft feat for). So it is successfully activated.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 07:45 PM
Bzzt! Illegal action detected!

Eurus:Sleep has a 1-round casting time. You can only ready a standard, move, swift, or free action.

As an aside, you don't roll for item creation. You can make anything you can make by taking 10 on the check.

Rewind to Hephaestus's round 3 turn.

Eurus
2010-02-08, 08:53 PM
Oh, shoot. Don't know how I missed that. >_>

Okay, so revising my readied action. I'm sure you can guess what it is. Still keeping yours?

Action:
Entangle, this time.

Trobby
2010-02-08, 11:36 PM
Since I didn't know what spell you were going to cast before, I'm not going to change it now either. What, does my Barbarian look like he has a PhD here? :p Just tell me the effect. *And if it has an area, show it to me so I know what the area is I'm dealing with*

Eurus
2010-02-08, 11:55 PM
The readied action goes off, dropping an Entangle centered on V-22/W-23. Here's a new map, even worse than the first because the way the file got saved means I can't use the fill tool, yaaaay! :smallyuk: The big red splotch is you, the smaller red splotch is where the entangle effect is centered.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/DetrichLange/Entalgemap2.jpg

Reflex DC is 11 again.

Trobby
2010-02-09, 10:34 AM
Ax Battler, Round 3 Revised

Alright, first thing's first...Reflex/Strength rolls.

Reflex: [roll0] (DC 11)
Strength: [roll1] (DC 20)

And assuming I can break out, I should still have just enough squares of move (I have 70 ft. of movement left at the point where you cast entangle) to reach M25.

Edit: SUCCESS! Alright, and I end my turn right next to you on M25, seething with rage. :smallbiggrin: Your turn.

Stat Block:

Position: M25
Rage: 0/1 remaining, 7/8 rounds left, not active

Eurus
2010-02-11, 01:39 AM
Hmm. I do believe things will end here, one way or another. Either you fail your save and get scythed to death, or you make your save (or I fail my UMD check) and I die a horribly gruesome death. :smallbiggrin:

Hephaestus takes a 5-foot step to K-26 and activates a scroll of Sleep. Will save DC 11.

[roll0]

Sallera
2010-02-11, 01:51 AM
Well, not quite. Sleep has a 1 round casting time, so no save required until the beginning of Hephaestus' next turn.

Trobby
2010-02-11, 01:52 AM
Yes, you are right of course. This is for total victory, or the agony of defeat. This is for all the marbles now...so here we go. Either this roll will keep me awake, or seal my fate as a scratching post for your scythe. With +4 on my will save (+2 base, +2 rage), this will be the deciding roll for the match...

[roll0] (DC 11)

((AAAUGH! NOOOOO! D: I fell asleep!))

...*Edit: Oh...er...really? Dang...I guess it doesn't go off until the start of the next round?

Er...shoot. @_@; Well there goes my steam. <.<; I'll...finish my regular attack tomorrow. Incidentally, you can't start a charge if you only have 5 ft. of space between you and your target, right?

Sallera
2010-02-11, 01:58 AM
That is correct.

Eurus
2010-02-11, 02:52 AM
Well, not quite. Sleep has a 1 round casting time, so no save required until the beginning of Hephaestus' next turn.

...You know, that was just pointed out to me earlier in this fight, yet I still somehow managed to confuse it with a full-round action casting time. :smallsigh:

Well, what can you do. My action stays as-is. I still may totally luck out on your attack roll. :smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2010-02-11, 11:10 AM
That IS true..your AC is 14, and my attack bonus is +7 without a charge. That gives you a 35% chance to not die on this attack.

...Of course, if it DOES hit, my base damage bonus is also +7, so you die in one hit.

;o Let's make it official.

Ax Battler, Round 3

Taking a five-foot step forward to L26, and swingin' my sword!

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Crit:[roll2]
CDamage:[roll3]

Stat Block

Position: L26
Rage: 0/1 remaining, 6/8 rounds left, not active

Edit: ...Yeah, you dead.

Eurus
2010-02-11, 12:48 PM
Ah well. At least I only burned three scrolls, they're pretty cheap.

Trobby
2010-02-11, 02:02 PM
Right. ^^; I'll go get a ref to call this match.

Sallera
2010-02-11, 02:13 PM
High Ref Sallera

Ax Battler refuses to give in to a bunch of out-of-place foliage, and claims victory.

Trobby
2010-02-11, 02:25 PM
Excellent! :smallbiggrin: I already know what I'm going to spend it on! Selling back my Universal Solvent, and saying *sniffle* a sweet goodbye to my beloved Greatsword, I'm putting down 350 GP on a Masterwork Greatsword! :smallcool: