PDA

View Full Version : Question on Horizon walker

herrhauptmann
2010-02-06, 07:42 PM
Found Saph's Horizon Tripper build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) and thought of a question regarding becoming aligned to a dominant planar alignment.

Lets say I'm a Chaotic Good character. According to that, I take no penalty from Holy word (as well as a chaotic version of Holy WOrd). Take no penalty in planes that're dominantly aligned Good and/or Chaotic (but still would on a CE or LG plane).

Now, if I took 7 levels of HW and became aligned to Lawful and Evil, what would that mean?
That I take no damage from Unholy Word, blasphemy, (and lawful version of holy word)? As well as Holy and chaotic version.
That on planes that are dominantly Lawful, Chaotic, Good, or Evil, I take no penalties?

I'm contemplating my next character to be a horizon walker. Going to take at least 7 levels in it. Shifting planar. Cavernous planar (for tremorsense), and at least one of Lawful/chaotic/good/evil.
For nonplanar traits: Underground, plains, desert, aquatic/mountains (depending on stats and armor), and forest (though I'd like to check MM to see what counts as a forest creature).

Beyond that, no specific plans on feat selection yet.

Edit: Any particular opinions on my chosen terrain traits?

Starbuck_II
2010-02-06, 07:44 PM
Found Saph's Horizon Tripper build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) and thought of a question regarding becoming aligned to a dominant planar alignment.

Lets say I'm a Chaotic Good character. According to that, I take no penalty from Holy word (as well as a chaotic version of Holy WOrd). Take no penalty in planes that're dominantly aligned Good and/or Chaotic (but still would on a CE or LG plane).

Now, if I took 7 levels of HW and became aligned to Lawful and Evil, what would that mean?
That I take no damage from Unholy Word, blasphemy, (and lawful version of holy word)? As well as Holy and chaotic version.
That on planes that are dominantly Lawful, Chaotic, Good, or Evil, I take no penalties?

I'm contemplating my next character to be a horizon walker. Going to take at least 7 levels in it. Shifting planar. Cavernous planar (for tremorsense), and at least one of Lawful/chaotic/good/evil.
For nonplanar traits: Underground, plains, desert, aquatic/mountains (depending on stats and armor), and forest (though I'd like to check MM to see what counts as a forest creature).

Beyond that, no specific plans on feat selection yet.

Yes, you take no bad affect from effects that depend on alignment. So no Holy Word killing you.

Salt_Crow
2010-02-06, 07:51 PM
I'd say immunity takes precedence over vulnerability, or susceptibility for that matter. Therefore in a similar case, a Lawful Good Balor (w/ Chaotic and Evil subtypes) would be completely immune to blasphemy/dictum/holy word/word of chaos chain since those spell only affect creatures that are non-[alignment] creatures.

However, the wording of Holy Aura/Unholy Aura chain doesn't seem to rule out that good/evil creatures are immune to the secondary effect (holy word's blinding effect for example), only that it targets an opposed alignment. Since our balor (and the HW) do possess both good and evil nature, they'd be susceptible (but not immune) to the effects of those aura-like spells.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-06, 08:49 PM
I'd say immunity takes precedence over vulnerability, or susceptibility for that matter. Therefore in a similar case, a Lawful Good Balor (w/ Chaotic and Evil subtypes) would be completely immune to blasphemy/dictum/holy word/word of chaos chain since those spell only affect creatures that are non-[alignment] creatures.

However, the wording of Holy Aura/Unholy Aura chain doesn't seem to rule out that good/evil creatures are immune to the secondary effect (holy word's blinding effect for example), only that it targets an opposed alignment. Since our balor (and the HW) do possess both good and evil nature, they'd be susceptible (but not immune) to the effects of those aura-like spells.

Well avoiding the primary effect will be good in and of itself. May be able to push for more if I have a real lenient DM.

Also just remembered the Raiment of the Wayfarer item set in MiC. It might not be powerful, but I think it would be very thematically appropriate to this character.

And I do actually have a plan if I can get into a gestalt game. One side of the build will be the horizon walker. The other will be almost straight fighter feats. Build myself towards mounted ubercharger, plus use combat brute, leap attack, shocktrooper, and a centaur shaped race. :)
This will let me use both of the builds I've decided I want to try.