PDA

View Full Version : [3.5; PrC] The Shaman

Vaynor
2010-02-06, 07:53 PM
Shaman

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Shaman_by_sonofamortician-1.jpg

”We’ll be alive again in a thousand blades of grass, and a million leaves, we’ll be falling in the raindrops and blowing in the fresh breeze, we’ll be glittering in the dew under the stars and the moon out there in the physical world which is our true home and always was.”
~Philip Pullman~

Shaman are those who have opened their minds to the spiritual nature of the world. A shaman has many unique abilities, including mental power over spirits, controlling weather, and precognition. Shaman are usually the spiritual leaders of their tribe, acting as healers and visionaries, mediating between the spirit and physical worlds. A shaman dresses in a full-length, feather-trimmed cloak with a brass buckle fastener. The cloak is generally made of reindeer or bear skin with eagle feathers, representing the shaman’s strong ties to the natural world. A shaman’s power lies in his ability to trance, during which the shaman meditates with a drum, rattle, or similar instrument. He can use his trance to accomplish such feats as rejuvenating his body physically, psychically discerning information, or recharging his spiritual mind.

BECOMING A SHAMAN

One becomes a shaman through an intense, spiritual ritual. By literally opening your mind to the gods you gain a unique insight into the workings of the natural world.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd-level divine spells
Template: Linked Soul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138385), Trepanned (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7836700&posted=1#post7836700)
Special: The shaman’s dæmon must have chosen a single form to occupy.

Class Skills
The shaman's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Hit Dice: d6

Shaman

Level
BAB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spells

1st

+0

+0

+2

+2
Trance (levitate), independent soul, spirit compulsion, precognition 1/day

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+3
Trance (spells), spirit winds
+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+3
Trance (health), timeless body, precognition 2/day

4th

+3

+1

+4

+4
Trance (information), soul calling, spiritual connection

5th

+3

+1

+4

+4
Trance (spirit-doorway), spirit storm, precognition 3/day

Weapon Proficiencies: A shaman is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor.

Spellcasting: A shaman’s spellcasting ability increases at every level except level 1 as if he had gained a level in his previous divine spellcasting class. He does not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. The shaman adds his shaman level to his original divine spellcasting class when determining spells per day, spells known, and caster level. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a shaman he must choose to which class he adds each level of shaman for the purpose of determining spells per day, spells known, and caster level. Irregardless of the caster’s previous method of acquiring and preparing his spells per day, the shaman must instead enter a trance for 1 hour to acquire his spells. This trance is not associated with the shaman’s trance ability, and does not damage the shaman in any fashion.

Trance (Su): A shaman’s power lies in his ability to meditate. A shaman may meditate as often as he wants, but a trance has a great physical toll on the shaman’s body. When in a trance the shaman may not perform any other actions, and must make Concentration checks as if concentrating on a spell when applicable. A shaman may persist his trance for a number of rounds equal to his shaman level plus his Wisdom modifier except when noted otherwise.

At level 1, the shaman may levitate while trancing. The shaman may levitate at his base land speed when levitating. The shaman may perform other actions while levitating, and may hover in the air by expending a swift action each round. The shaman may levitate while using other trances, but he suffers an additional 1 point of nonlethal damage per round when doing so.

At level 2, the shaman may trance to regain his mental faculties. By spending 1 minute/spell level trancing, the shaman may regain expended divine spell slots. The shaman may regain spell slots of any level as long as he is able to cast spells of that level normally, and if he is able to persist his trance for the required amount of time. Each round the shaman spends in a trance to regain spell slots, he suffers 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. When trancing to regain spell slots, the normal limits on the time he can trance are ignored, but no other trance actions can be taken.

At level 3, the shaman may repair his body by trancing. The shaman gains fast healing equal to his shaman class level while trancing. Trancing to regain health renders the shaman fatigued. If used while fatigued, the shaman becomes exhausted. The shaman cannot trance to regain health when exhausted.

At level 4, the shaman may acquire information he would not normally be able to know by trancing. The shaman may act as if he had cast a commune spell, with the following adjustments. The shaman may ask one question each round as long as he is able to persist his trance. This ability does not require any experience points to be expended, nor does it have a casting time. The shaman need not have a deity for this ability to function, he merely asks the world instead.

At level 5, the shaman may construct a spirit-doorway. To construct a spirit-doorway, a shaman enters a trance. During the trance the shaman views the world with closed eyes, seeing the miniscule particles of the universe, much akin to dust. Each particle may be split open to create a doorway to another world. The shaman may seek out specific universes, or simply choose one at random. If he chooses to travel to a specific plane, the shaman must expend the first round of his trance finding the plane. Once opened, the spirit-doorway persists for the duration of the shaman’s trance, allowing any creature to pass through on its own will (in either direction). At any point during the trance, the shaman himself may pass through the spirit-doorway as a move action by levitating through (not suffering any additional nonlethal damage from levitating as normal). Once the shaman passes through, the spirit-doorway dissolves. The spirit-doorway is large enough for a creature of up to Large size to pass through, and only one creature may pass through per round (the shaman passing through the spirit-doorway does not count against this limit). After the shaman’s trance ends, the shaman is exhausted and suffers 1d8 nonlethal damage per round the spirit-doorway was open.

Independent Soul (Ex): A shaman’s dæmon is a fully independent creature. At level 1, any and all range restrictions on the shaman’s dæmon are removed. The shaman’s dæmon also gains fast healing 5. The shaman and his dæmon may communicate through basic emotional messages when at a distance of more than 5 miles from one the other.

Spirit Compulsion (Su): The shaman has a unique power over spirits. Against any incorporeal undead or spirit, the shaman may attempt to force it to follow his orders. This ability functions as the spell charm person, except it only affects incorporeal undead and spirits. The spirit must succeed on a DC 10 + double class level + Wisdom modifier Will save or be charmed. This ability is usable 1/day/class level.

Precognition (Su): The shaman has the unique ability to perceive the future. The shaman may activate precognition once per day at level one, and gains an additional use at every odd level (2/day at level 3, and 3/day at level 5). Precognition persists for a number of rounds equal to the shaman’s Wisdom modifier, and may only be used once per encounter. Precognition grants the shaman all benefits from being able to view reality one round into the future. The shaman may be considered to have readied an action even after the conditions have taken place. When readying an action to counterspell, the shaman need not make a Spellcraft check to determine which spell he needs to counterspell. The shaman gains a +2/level insight bonus to AC, a +2/level insight bonus to Reflex saves made against spells or abilities with visual effects, and a +2 bonus to both CL and DCs for spells cast during the effect’s duration.

Spirit Winds (Su): The shaman may summon great gusts of wind, as if he had cast gust of wind, usable 1/day/Wisdom modifier. Alternatively, the shaman may alter the direction of the wind. Using spirit winds in this fashion expends 2 uses of this ability. This ability requires one standard action.

Timeless Body (Ex): The shaman’s health remains impeccable as he ages. Although the shaman still visibly ages, he does not receive any penalties from aging. Additionally, the shaman’s maximum lifespan is increased by 50%.

Soul Calling (Su): The shaman’s dæmon gains the ability to summon creatures of its species to fight for the shaman. As a full-round action, the shaman’s dæmon may summon 1d6 creatures of its species to fight. The creatures remain for 1 min/level. The creatures summoned have hit dice equal to the dæmon’s hit dice - 2. If the dæmon is of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny size, the dæmon may instead summon a single swarm of creatures of its species, with a hit dice equal to the dæmon’s hit dice. This ability is usable once per day.

Spiritual Connection (Ex): The shaman’s ties to the spirit world are increased, causing the shaman to automatically become a ghost upon death. If the shaman becomes a ghost, and is then resurrected, resurrection proceeds as normal (the shaman choosing whether or not to accept the resurrection). The presence of the shaman’s ghost’s manifestation may be used in lieu of an actual body.

Spirit Storm (Su): The shaman may alter the weather by trancing for 10 minutes. This ability functions as if the shaman had cast control weather at his caster level. If the trance is interrupted, the shaman must begin anew. The spirit storm persists for a number of hours equal to the shaman’s class level. This ability is usable once per day.

Inspiration found here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials)

Vaynor
2010-02-06, 07:54 PM
Trepanned

http://gynomite.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/johannes_scultetus_trepanation.jpg
trepanning techniques and tools

a trepanned skull
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Crane-trepanation-img_0507_crop.jpg

A trepanned creature is one who has had his mind surgically opened to the gods, allowing him greater wisdom and knowledge of both himself and the natural world.

Creating a Trepanned Creature

“Trepanned” is an acquired template that may be added to any creature that meets the requirements below, and must have been subject to the following procedure (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The base creature does not change except as stated below.

To trepan a creature is to open a circle of skin on its head, then excise a portion of the skull completely, creating a hole directly to the patients brain. The skin is then repaired, leaving the hole beneath intact.

To successfully trepan a creature, the base creature must have both a skull and a brain that are accessible with primitive surgical tools. The process requires 1 hour of surgery, during which the surgeon must succeed on a DC 20 Heal check. If the surgery is unsuccessful, the patient takes 1d10 damage which must be repaired before another attempt is made to trepan the creature.

Special Qualities

Open to the Gods (Ex): The trepanned creatures mind has been opened to divine influence, but this also makes them weaker at resisting mental bombardment. A trepanned creatures receives a -4 penalty on all mind-affecting or compulsive spells and abilities that affect the trepanned creature directly. Additionally, the trepanned creature receives a -2 penalty on saves against stunning or dazing due to the instability of his skull.

Abilities: The trepanned creature gains a +2 bonus to its Wisdom score.

Feats: The trepanned creature gains Know Your Soul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138385) as a bonus feat, even if it does not meet the requirements.

Challenge Rating: +0

Level Adjustment: +0

Inspiration found here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials)

Lord Loss
2010-02-06, 08:08 PM
First of all, yes, it's nice, but... (I don't mean to sound mean here, but it needs to be said):

The trepanned template is bah-roken. It's a free boost (the penalty is nice, but doesn't compare to the +2 boost on an ability). And it's pretty darn good. Give it (at least) an CR +1/2 / LA +1 modifier. Also, failing the surgery should (possibly) result in death. Fort save, maybe.

The class should not have a second template prerequisite. Instead, give it to them upon joining the class. But, for what it's worth, I like the class, apart from a few nitpicks. Maybe make some more animal-oriented abilities, and we're ready to roll! Also, Levitating should not cause any damage. To bump up it's power level a tad bit, give it a good reflex save as well (their heightened degree of awareness gives them sharpened reflexes)

Vaynor
2010-02-06, 08:14 PM
First of all, yes, it's nice, but... (I don't mean to sound mean here, but it needs to be said):

The trepanned template is bah-roken. It's a free boost (the penalty is nice, but doesn't compare to the +2 boost on an ability). And it's pretty darn good. Give it (at least) an CR +1/2 / LA +1 modifier. Also, failing the surgery should (possibly) result in death. Fort save, maybe.

The class should not have a second template prerequisite. Instead, give it to them upon joining the class. But, for what it's worth, I like the class, apart from a few nitpicks. Maybe make some more animal-oriented abilities, and we're ready to roll! Also, Levitating should not cause any damage. To bump up it's power level a tad bit, give it a good reflex save as well (their heightened degree of awareness gives them sharpened reflexes)

Yeah I wasn't sure if I could get away with the +0 LA, I might change it to +1 LA. I'd make it so the trepanned template is gained upon entry, but it's part of the process of becoming a shaman. I guess I could just say that the template is gained as part of the process of becoming a shaman, but if it's +1 LA I don't want that to be given as part of the class. Alternatively, any suggestions to reducing the template to +0 LA? Maybe removing the Wisdom boost? That way it's just a bonus feat, a few bonuses to skills, and you get a -4 penalty against mind-affecting spells and abilities.

I'll remove the nonlethal damage from levitate and bump up their Reflex score.

Also, thanks for the help. :smallsmile:

DracoDei
2010-02-06, 08:44 PM
I would suggest a more unique name so that people will remember it... Even if it includes the word "Shaman" in it, anything to give some clue (including in the thread title) as to what sets it apart from the many other classes and PrCs of the same name that have probably been posted on this board over the years.

Vaynor
2010-02-06, 08:53 PM
I would suggest a more unique name so that people will remember it... Even if it includes the word "Shaman" in it, anything to give some clue (including in the thread title) as to what sets it apart from the many other classes and PrCs of the same name that have probably been posted on this board over the years.

Yeah, I know, it's not very distinctive. Hell, I even have a class with the same name. It's a very setting specific PrC, and that's what it's called in the series. My first thought for an alternate name was spirit shaman, but, well, you know.

Any suggestions?

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-06, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't have thought there were quite so many skill benefits to having a slightly expanded brain...

The Wis and the Feat were probably enough, along with the disadvantage.

I'm wondering why Treppanned characters aren't a little more vulnerable to blows to the head [stunning etc]? Maybe a penalty to those saves too?

I like the fact that you can get into this class with surgery and one feat...it also makes it easier to get into the Witch class you've previously posted. I'm not really do keen on the number of class features pilled on top of a mostly full caster progression but there you go.

I'm not familiar with the shaman from the books [gave up a little way into the Amber Spyglass because i wasn't enjoying the books anymore]

Vaynor
2010-02-06, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't have thought there were quite so many skill benefits to having a slightly expanded brain...

The Wis and the Feat were probably enough, along with the disadvantage.

I'm wondering why Treppanned characters aren't a little more vulnerable to blows to the head [stunning etc]? Maybe a penalty to those saves too?

I like the fact that you can get into this class with surgery and one feat...it also makes it easier to get into the Witch class you've previously posted. I'm not really do keen on the number of class features pilled on top of a mostly full caster progression but there you go.

I'm not familiar with the shaman from the books [gave up a little way into the Amber Spyglass because i wasn't enjoying the books anymore]

Well it's not a slightly expanded brain, the idea is that your mind is more open to divine influence. I'll remove the skill benefits, that seems like a good idea to make it balanced for LA +0.

The holes are generally fairly small, but I'll definitely add that in, good idea.

Well a lot of the class features are mostly flavor, and not terribly powerful. I was debating removing another level of casting progression, but I wasn't sure. I don't think the abilities are too powerful to require another reduction in casting as it stands, we'll see.

There's actually only one shaman actually in the books, John Parry (also known as Stanislaus Grumman or Jopari). It's mentioned that more exist, but he's the only one that actually appears. The abilities of this class are based on the abilities that John Parry utilizes in the novels. He first appears in The Subtle Knife (chapter 10 is titled "The Shaman").

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-06, 09:51 PM
Dust-Enlightened Shaman?
Soul-Portal Shaman?

Was it dust/free-will that he was open to or was it actually the godhead figure that was killed at the close of the series? If i know that, i might be able to get a better idea...

Vaynor
2010-02-06, 09:54 PM
Dust-Enlightened Shaman?
Soul-Portal Shaman?

Was it dust/free-will that he was open to or was it actually the godhead figure that was killed at the close of the series? If i know that, i might be able to get a better idea...

Dust/free-will, he fights the god-figure so definitely not him (the Authority). I altered it to opening up to the divine to fit in with the standard D&D setting more effectively, however I made sure to include a clause that he need not worship a god, but merely open himself up to nature and the spiritual world.

I kind of like Enlightened Shaman, but I'm going to think about it a bit more.

Vaynor
2010-02-08, 06:18 PM
Any other comments/criticisms before I let this thread die?

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-09, 06:49 AM
This might have more impact if you were to cobble together a Northern Lights campaign setting

just a gazetteer, some class comments and some adventure ideas, plus a little information on the church (Pullman has that weird thing where he seems to want you to hate them, despite the fact that you only ever really see people so nice that you'd leave your elderly relatives in their care of the church proper)

As it is, it kind of exists in a vacuum so you'll only really get folks like me judging it against the books out of vague academic interest [and as a bit of fun] and folks like Thrice Dead Cat judging it on raw mechanical power...

In a campaign setting, it has more of a role, we know what its with and it attains that extra level of prestige [i can't really imagine there being more than a fistful of prestige classes for Northern Lights...]

As a vague aside, what WAS the Authority exactly? It seemed sometimes that it was the source of the dust and at others just something sat there impotently giving orders or not even that... [might want to PM that to avoid issue]?

Vaynor
2010-02-09, 09:18 AM
This might have more impact if you were to cobble together a Northern Lights campaign setting

just a gazetteer, some class comments and some adventure ideas, plus a little information on the church (Pullman has that weird thing where he seems to want you to hate them, despite the fact that you only ever really see people so nice that you'd leave your elderly relatives in their care of the church proper)

As it is, it kind of exists in a vacuum so you'll only really get folks like me judging it against the books out of vague academic interest [and as a bit of fun] and folks like Thrice Dead Cat judging it on raw mechanical power...

In a campaign setting, it has more of a role, we know what its with and it attains that extra level of prestige [i can't really imagine there being more than a fistful of prestige classes for Northern Lights...]

As a vague aside, what WAS the Authority exactly? It seemed sometimes that it was the source of the dust and at others just something sat there impotently giving orders or not even that... [might want to PM that to avoid issue]?

The Authority was the first angel, and yes, we may want to avoid talking about him further as it has a lot to do with religion.

That's actually what I'm trying to do, make a HDM setting. At the moment I'm working on statting out more of the creatures, as well as the three artifacts (alethiometer, subtle knife, amber spyglass). Once I finish most of it I'll write up a bunch of fluff and post a compilation.