PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Druid|Ranger Hybridization Confusion

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-06, 08:50 PM
I have a friend who is interested in playing a druid|ranger hybrid, but neither of us have any idea how that would work in terms of character building. I know the basics on hybrid characters, but I have no clue how the druid and ranger powers will mesh, since the druid powers often involve beast form, which means you can't use weapons.

Does anyone know how to make a druid|ranger hybrid character work? I would greatly appreciate it. I'd place some information here myself but I have absolutely NO idea how this would work.

kladams707
2010-02-06, 09:05 PM
Let him take the Warrior of the Wild feat and then make him forget everything else about the ranger. Or do it the other way around w/ the multiclass druid feat.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-06, 09:12 PM
Our group needs a controller though. :smallconfused:

Kylarra
2010-02-06, 09:19 PM
Well the question is, why is he interested in a ranger|druid hybrid?

Hybrid druid tends to be less than optimal (imo), because you lose out on the normal versatility of hybrids, as you'll basically have 1 at-will for beast form and 1 at-will for human form, else you'll just be completely ignoring your beast form and shafting half your choices.

I'd recommend just being a pure druid rather than a ranger hybrid. There are easily ways to optimize the druid for striker-ish output.

kladams707
2010-02-06, 09:21 PM
So then Druid w/ the Warrior of the Wild Feat. Of course you might run into a problem w/ the prereqs.

Well the question is, why is he interested in a ranger|druid hybrid?

Hybrid druid tends to be less than optimal (imo), because you lose out on the normal versatility of hybrids, as you'll basically have 1 at-will for beast form and 1 at-will for human form, else you'll just be completely ignoring your beast form and shafting half your choices.

I'd recommend just being a pure druid rather than a ranger hybrid. There are easily ways to optimize the druid for striker-ish output.

^ This also.

Sinon
2010-02-06, 09:22 PM
Are you asking about the mechanics of the hybrid? What class abilities you get?

Or which options/powers/hybrid talent you want to make it all work?

I would start by asking why did you pick ranger|druid? What are you hoping to be able to do?

What image do you have of this character that made these two classes jump out at you?

Edit: guess I'm the third to ask that. Must be a good question.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-06, 09:28 PM
I mentioned we had an opening for a controller, and he got interested when I told him that druids are controllers, and then he pondered hybridizing it with a striker, because he likes strikers, and the hybrid article mentions that good striker hybrids for the druid are the avenger, ranger and rogue.

I was mainly wondering how the power selection would work, since the main thing you get out of druid is wild shape, and you can't use weapons when you have cougar paws or boar hooves.

Xallace
2010-02-06, 09:44 PM
Well... does he want two-weapon, bow, or beast? Because you could totally go Str/Wis primary Con secondary with a Beast companion and conjure up hordes of summoned animals; become a real beastmaster, y'know.

Edit: I mean, the only alternative I could see would be going Dex/Wis and taking Primal Predator as your Hybrid Option feat. Focus on ranged attacks for striking and melee Wildshape for controlling; then see if the DM will homebrew a "Primal Implement" enchantment for the bow if there isn't one already.

Mando Knight
2010-02-06, 10:16 PM
Grab the Beast Companion hybrid talent, and only use Beast Companion powers for the Ranger side. The Druid side should grab whatever powers he likes, noting that he can Wild Shape and use a Beast power, then Wild Shape and use a Companion power next turn.

Kylarra
2010-02-06, 10:17 PM
It's pretty easy to get striker-druids.

My personal druid is a swarm druid who uses stinging swarm +Claw gloves+Ferocious tiger form.

Alternatively, you can just use the swarming locusts power to generate your own CA in blast 3.

With claw gloves and ferocious tiger form, you'll do an additional 1D10+2 damage to anything you have combat advantage against. Stinging swarm means that an enemy that hits you automatically grants you combat advantage next turn, I usually use this in conjunction with charging, take the OA, mitigate some of the damage with my primal swarm class feature, and hit them for lots.

Powerful Charge/Enraged Boar form help with the charging strategy, but are not strictly necessary.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-06, 10:23 PM
Well... does he want two-weapon, bow, or beast? Because you could totally go Str/Wis primary Con secondary with a Beast companion and conjure up hordes of summoned animals; become a real beastmaster, y'know.

Edit: I mean, the only alternative I could see would be going Dex/Wis and taking Primal Predator as your Hybrid Option feat. Focus on ranged attacks for striking and melee Wildshape for controlling; then see if the DM will homebrew a "Primal Implement" enchantment for the bow if there isn't one already.

I'm the DM. This build is for one of the players.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-06, 10:41 PM
Grab the Beast Companion hybrid talent, and only use Beast Companion powers for the Ranger side. The Druid side should grab whatever powers he likes, noting that he can Wild Shape and use a Beast power, then Wild Shape and use a Companion power next turn.

What would be the best race for a combo like this? The player likes it.

This is an idea i feel i can get behind...oh man...i feel i should bring back the enviromentlly friendly ******* of a ranger my friend had one time...what a ****...yet so many fun roleplaying encounters...

Dimers
2010-02-06, 10:43 PM

So homebrew a kind of weapon that is also a druid implement and which allows its enhancement bonus to apply to both druid powers and melee attacks ... like the pact blade for warlocks. Maybe a cestus, gimlet or handheld claw. Call it d8, +2 proficiency, and 'offhand' as a weapon; not spectacular, but that's the price the player pays to get the right item for their concept. (Or make it a 'superior' weapon and improve the stats a bit.) You're the DM, so you can make it work if you want it to work.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-06, 11:19 PM
What would be the best race for a combo like this? The player likes it.

Ranger/Druid hybrid? go with longtooth shifter from the PHB 2

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-06, 11:44 PM
Will an elf work?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-06, 11:57 PM
Yeah. Pretty much anything that sounds like it'd be a druid and has a wisdom bonus. (I assume druids still cast off of wisdom?) will work.

If the ranger powers are based on Dexterity instead of strength Elf actually works better. plus a base move speed of 7 is really nice.

Xallace
2010-02-07, 08:53 AM

Sorry, I kinda changed from 3rd to 2nd person out of habit there.

If he's going for Beast Companion Elf would work, though he could go Longtooth Shifter like Kyuubi said (they get a +2 Str/Wis). The Beast Companion powers are all Strength.

Also,

So homebrew a kind of weapon that is also a druid implement and which allows its enhancement bonus to apply to both druid powers and melee attacks ... like the pact blade for warlocks. Maybe a cestus, gimlet or handheld claw. Call it d8, +2 proficiency, and 'offhand' as a weapon; not spectacular, but that's the price the player pays to get the right item for their concept. (Or make it a 'superior' weapon and improve the stats a bit.) You're the DM, so you can make it work if you want it to work.

do this. Or at least make a special enhancement that turns certain melee weapons into implements.

Grynning
2010-02-07, 11:54 AM
Isn't there already a combo implement/weapon for primal classes? Totemic Spear, I believe. Spears aren't a terrible weapon group, there's a versatile, a heavy thrown, and reach weapon available right there.

Edit: NVM, that only works for shamans :smallyuk: Homebrew it is.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-07, 01:52 PM
I've got to wait until he replies to my latest post before I can run the shifter idea by him.