PDA

View Full Version : CoC 6th edition

BobVosh
2010-02-06, 09:01 PM
Quick questions: how exactly does dodge work?

Also how do you calculate the percentile with melee weapons? And range weapons?

Just about to start, but we were wondering about this. Thanks :D

Algerin
2010-02-06, 09:10 PM
Dodge works like this(I think)

You can make one(1) dodge attempt a round. You have to choose who your trying to dodge. So if that person doesnt attack you that round, you've wasted your dodge.

Now, when the attack is made on you, you roll your dodge percentile. If you get the percantile or less, the attack has no effect on you(You jumped out of the way of the speeding car, lept over the tentacle, ducked under the bullet). But if another attack is made against you in the same round, you dont get a chance to dodge it.

As for weopon percantiles, everyone has a certain skill with it. for example, "Handguns, 20%". If you roll a 1-20, you hit with the handgun. Now if your guy wants to be more skilled with a handgun, he would add points to it. for example, he would add ten points. he would add those ten to the base chance, so 10+20=20. If he rolled a 1-30, he would hit.

Good luck on your first game of CofC. My first game is coming up in a few hours as well =)

BobVosh
2010-02-06, 09:19 PM
I meant how to calculate the percentile for the weapon. Small knife has 25, what else do I add?

comicshorse
2010-02-06, 09:23 PM
The skill of the person using it

BobVosh
2010-02-06, 09:27 PM
which is calculated and/or found where? I can't find any melee weapon stuff except for martial arts

Algerin
2010-02-06, 09:30 PM
I dont berlieve there is any... its just the persons skill that determines if you hit. if you hit, then its damage, plus bonus damage

comicshorse
2010-02-06, 09:30 PM
You decide the skill when you create the character ( if a P.C.) or just decide what seems appropriate for the person if you're creating a NPC

Lycan 01
2010-02-07, 12:08 AM
To clarify things, I just tell my players to add the skills "Small Melee Weapon" and "Large Melee Weapon" to their sheets. Small is for one-handed weapons, like knives and clubs. Large is for two-handed weapons, like bats and axes. Both skills start at 25%, so even if the book says a knife has 20% or a crowbar has 30% base chance, it will have a 25% chance thanks to that new skill.

So far its worked out pretty well. :smallsmile:

MickJay
2010-02-07, 05:45 AM
The general rule in CoC is that if you're in combat, something's gone very, very wrong. You might be able to dispatch a cultist or some other hostile human, but against almost any supernatural horror, you'll need a lot of dynamite (or perhaps artillery) to stand a decent chance. It's a horror game, you're supposed to try to survive without going completely insane (solving a mystery is a bonus). If you can actually defeat your enemies on a regular basis, the GM screwed up. :smalltongue:

As for combat skills, they work exactly the same as other skills, you can spend points to increase them at the beginning, and you increase them later on if you were successfully using them during the session. Roll the value of your skill or below it to determine if you hit (enemy might still try to dodge), then roll damage.

BobVosh
2010-02-07, 06:07 AM
The general rule in CoC is that if you're in combat, something's gone very, very wrong. You might be able to dispatch a cultist or some other hostile human, but against almost any supernatural horror, you'll need a lot of dynamite (or perhaps artillery) to stand a decent chance. It's a horror game, you're supposed to try to survive without going completely insane (solving a mystery is a bonus). If you can actually defeat your enemies on a regular basis, the GM screwed up. :smalltongue:

We know :D

However we had to beat up some Klansmen in 1920's New Orleans. Basically just a dude with a pipe and two thugs with their hands.