PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stonecarver Warrior (Refluffed Fist of the Forest)

BenTheJester
2010-02-06, 09:33 PM
I refluffed the Fist of the Forest, because I want to use it for an upcoming character, and the hippie feral stuff doesn't fit so well with my character, but I liked the con to AC ability.

(New stuff is in blue, removed stuff is in red)

The Stonecarver Warrior

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Skills: Craft(Stoneworking) 4 ranks, Handle Animal 4 ranks, Knowledge(Dungeonneering or Architecture and Engineering) 4 ranks, Survival 4 ranks.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Weapon Focus(Greathammer, any axe or any dwarven weapon).
Special: Must gain approval of a high ranking member of the Stonecarvers, by being the son of an existing member, or by saving the life of a member. (winkwink)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|AC bonus, earth strike 1/day, fast movement, feral trance 1/day, stonecarvers' code
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Uncanny dodge, untamed strike
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Ability boost(Con +2), earth strike 2/day, feral trance 2/day, scent[/table]

AC Bonus (Ex): While unarmored, you gain a bonus to your Armor Class equal to your Constitution bonus (if any). See the monk class feature (PH 40).

Earth Strike (Ex): Once per day, the Stonecarver Warrior can make an exceptionally vicious attack against any foe that stands on stone or earth. The Stonecarver Warrior adds its Constitution bonus (if any) to its attack roll and adds 1d8 damage per class level.

At 3rd level, you can use this ability twice per day.

If you have the Mineral Warrior template, you can use the 1d8 extra damage per class level instead of your racial HD to determine the bonus damage for the earth strike ability granted from the template. The template effectively grants you one more use of this class ability.

Fast Movement (Ex): Your base land speed is faster than the norm for your race. See the barbarian class feature (PH 25). If you already have fast movement from another class, the bonuses to your speed stack.

Stonecarver's code (Ex): To maintain the powers bestowed upon you by the Stonecarver's society, you must pay respect to dwarven traditions and honor their culture. You must use and fight with weapons either made of stone, or dwarven weapons. Furthermore, you need to eat only dwarven food and drink only dwarven ale. Each day you have to craft something out of stone, no matter how mundane it is. If a Stonecarver doesn't respect this code for more than one day, he loses all classes abilities. He has to spend 30 consecutive days living by the code to get his abilities back. Alternatively, he can have a member of the Order cast atonement on him.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, you cannot be caught flat-footed, and you react to danger before your senses would normally allow you to do so. See the barbarian class feature (PH 26). If you already have uncanny dodge from another class, you instead gain improved uncanny dodge.

Ability Bonus (Ex): At 3rd level, a Stonecarver Warrior's Constitution score increases by 2 points.

Xallace
2010-02-07, 09:13 AM
"Uh... Hmm." is my initial reaction here.

Earth Strike (Ex): Once per day, the Stonecarver Warrior can make an exceptionally vicious attack against any foe that stands on stone or earth. The Stonecarver Warrior adds its Constitution bonus (if any) to its attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per class level.

Oh boy. 3 extra damage 2/day!

Perhaps make it 1 point per character level, or change it from 1 extra point to 1d8-1d10 extra damage per class level... it's 2/day, 3 if you're a mineral warrior (which I assume you are, since that's in there at all).

Stonecarver's code (Ex): To maintain the powers bestowed upon you by the Stonecarver's society, you must pay respect to dwarven traditions and honor their culture. You must use and fight with weapons either made of stone, or dwarven weapons. Furthermore, you need to eat only dwarven food and drink only dwarven ale. Each day you have to craft something out of stone, no matter how mundane it is.

A code of conduct is interesting. On the other hand, it doesn't say what happens if you're to break this code; the implication is that you lose your class features, but all of your class features are (Ex) abilities. I'm not seeing how I'd lose the ability to make a powerful hammer strike by forgetting to carve a small statue every day.

If some (or all) of your abilities were supernatural, I could see the odd restrictions.

Ability Bonus (Ex): At 3rd level, a Stonecarver Warrior's Constitution score increases by 2 points.

Trying to make your AC as high as possible, eh?

BenTheJester
2010-02-07, 11:15 AM
A code of conduct is interesting. On the other hand, it doesn't say what happens if you're to break this code; the implication is that you lose your class features, but all of your class features are (Ex) abilities. I'm not seeing how I'd lose the ability to make a powerful hammer strike by forgetting to carve a small statue every day.

If some (or all) of your abilities were supernatural, I could see the odd restrictions.

The Fist of the Forest(which is the class I based this on) has only (Ex) abilities, and loses them if it doesn't follow the code.

I found it weird as well, but I didn't want to offset the balance too much.

Updated the extra damage and specifications to the code

Dingle
2010-02-07, 11:46 AM
Have you seen Deepwarden (RoS)?
I think it would do exactly what you are looking for.
FotF replaces armour with Con bonus, wheras deepwarden replaces Dex bonus with Con bonus and is a dwarf prestige class.
It might make a better base or provide some ideas.