PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Warblade

Rasman
2010-02-06, 09:42 PM
I'm just looking at a little advice for feats for a Warblade, ATM, I'm going with

Blind-Fight, Blade Mediatation (Stone Dragon), Iron Will, and Quick Draw for my Bonus feats from the list, as for the other 11 feats, I'm not sure what I should look at.

Right now my list has Power Attack, Armor Specialization, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Concealment, Pierce Magical Protection, Combat Focus, Combat Stability, Combat Vigor, Defensive Sweep, Touch of Summoning, Item Familar, Imp Shield Bash, Shield Charge and Shield Slam. Thos are just the feats I've taken note of as I skimmed though Crystal Keep.

I've also considered Leadership, but that's just a whole other pain in the ass of statting out another character, so I'm not really sure about it right now.

Everything has been adjusted for Pathfinder and I'll be playing as a Human at level 20, this is for a one shot campaign.

Any advice you can offer on this would be awesome, but I've just gotten stuck on the feats for some reason.

lsfreak
2010-02-06, 09:46 PM
We need to know what you want your character to do. Two-handed charger? Agile, light-armor swashbuckler-type character? Two-weapon barbarian knockoff? Axethrowing? Controller (likely chain tripper)? Archery? Sword-and-board?

What you have listed seems to lean towards sword-and-board with Stone Dragon maneuver focus. At the very least, don't go Stone Dragon, because as soon as you leave the ground for any reason, you'll have problems.

Godskook
2010-02-06, 09:50 PM
Item familiar and Leadership are both 'by approval only', so check with your DM before planning for them.

Also, if homebrew is allowed, Krimm has some epic warblade stuff that might be useful for you.

What's your class progression? Warblade 20? Or do you multiclass at all?

Rasman
2010-02-06, 09:54 PM
We need to know what you want your character to do. Two-handed charger? Agile, light-armor swashbuckler-type character? Two-weapon barbarian knockoff? Axethrowing? Controller (likely chain tripper)? Archery? Sword-and-board?

What you have listed seems to lean towards sword-and-board with Stone Dragon maneuver focus. At the very least, don't go Stone Dragon, because as soon as you leave the ground for any reason, you'll have problems.

er...touche...totally forgot about that, was mostly going with that for the + to the great sword

Basically going to be a sword and board with an animated shield, was the idea, can't really find a weapon I like better that gives me maneuver and hit bonuses, although a weapon suggestion would be awesome too since I'm going for as much crit threat as possible, (current weapon gives me a 17-20 with Keen enhancement)

Item familiar and Leadership are both 'by approval only', so check with your DM before planning for them.

Also, if homebrew is allowed, Krimm has some epic warblade stuff that might be useful for you.

What's your class progression? Warblade 20? Or do you multiclass at all?

no homebrew I'm afraid, has to come from a WotC book, no dragonmags

just going straight Warblade, I REALLY don't want to mess with a Bloodstorm Blade at this point, maybe later, but the thought crossed my mind

Fluffles
2010-02-06, 10:59 PM
Screw the slight weapon bonus', grab the Minotaur Great Hammer from MM4. 19-20/x4. That's before you add Keen to it :)

Feat wise, take Adaptive style. It's invaluable.

Take Martial Study (Vanguard Strike), then, if you are a party man, take Martial Stance (Iron Guards Glare). If you are a solo man, switch out Iron Guards Glare for Thicket of Blades.

Power attack and Mage Slayer are a must. Combat Reflexes & Stand Still are damn good to have also.

Item wise: You'll want the Ring of Growth from Savage Species, reach is always good :smallbiggrin:

That's all I got for you now :smalltongue:

AslanCross
2010-02-06, 11:07 PM
Screw the slight weapon bonus', grab the Minotaur Great Hammer from MM4. 19-20/x4. That's before you add Keen to it :)

You can't add Keen to a bludgeoning weapon. You're looking for the Impact property (MIC).

[/QUOTE]

Fluffles
2010-02-07, 12:23 AM
You can't add Keen to a bludgeoning weapon. You're looking for the Impact property (MIC).

Bah! You knew what I meant :smallyuk:

Tar Palantir
2010-02-07, 12:32 AM
If you're grabbing Shield Charge, Improved Trip is nice to have. My favorite Warblade build dips Barbarian 2, with Lion Totem from CChamp and Wolf Totem from UA (they're not mutually exclusive). The first is the infamous Pounce, the second grants Imp Trip without needed Expertise or the Int prereq (though as a Warblade, you might anyway). Otherwise, you can take it the old fashioned way and still benefit from the charge->attack->trip->attack combo. That feat chain is one of the reasons for my preference for the Heavy Spiked Shield of Bashing. At 2d6 base damage, it's a one-handed greatsword that also grants AC, and Agile Shield Fight lets you dual wield with a one handed weapon in your off hand as well. Not absurdly potent, but efficient and effective without greatly tempting the ban hammer.

Pluto
2010-02-07, 12:50 AM
I highly recommend a combination of Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) and Stormguard Warrior (ToB) for almost all Warblades.

Stormguard Warrior lets you turn all sorts of attacks that you wouldn't make anyway (your itineratives with the lowest bonuses, the Attacks of Opportunity you wouldn't attempt because you have a less-than-infinite Dexterity bonus) into massive attack and damage boosts in the following round.

Robilar's Gambit makes every attempted enemy attack provoke an AoO.

This is especially invaluable for AoO-based Warblades and two-weapon fighters (including sword-and-boarders) who force enemies to provoke more often than they can attack and who have lots of low-ish damage itinerative attacks. It looks like you fall into both categories.

Runestar
2010-02-07, 12:58 AM

[/QUOTE]

Which is quite dumb, if you ask me.

Why limit said property to just 1 damage type when you end up creating variants for the rest?

What's the difference between simply having a property which doubles your weapon's threat range, and having 3, each working on a specific damage type? :smallmad:

That said, I think adaptive style is not a bad feat. Use it in the beginning of combat to swap in a custom set of maneuvers best suited to dealing with that particular scenario. Works wonders with moment of alacrity, and is your only way of recovering maneuvers in the round after you use a counter. :smallsmile:

Draz74
2010-02-07, 01:00 AM
That said, I think adaptive style is not a bad feat. Use it in the beginning of combat to swap in a custom set of maneuvers best suited to dealing with that particular scenario. Works wonders with moment of alacrity, and is your only way of recovering maneuvers in the round after you use a counter. :smallsmile:

... Unless you're in Stance of Alacrity. :smallcool:

Swooper
2010-02-07, 01:30 AM
Stormguard Warrior lets you turn all sorts of attacks that you wouldn't make anyway (your itineratives with the lowest bonuses, the Attacks of Opportunity you wouldn't attempt because you have a less-than-infinite Dexterity bonus) into massive attack and damage boosts in the following round.
Slight correction/correlation: If you have used up all your AoOs for the round, you cannot use Stormguard warrior to channel the storm when an opponent provokes one, because you couldn't have made that attack anyway. The wording of the feat is:

Channel the Storm: To use this option, you must choose to refrain from making one or more available attacks of opportunity against a single opponent.
However, the feat says nothing about this use of the feat actually using up that AoO for the round, so as long as you have at least one left you can channel the storm as much as you like.

That said, I highly recommend Stormguard Warrior too. It's one of the most awesome sources of melee damage I know of, and one of the few builds I've seen that can pull over 2000 damage in a single round (on average - potentially much more) uses it to do the heavy lifting.

Pluto
2010-02-07, 01:37 AM
Slight correction/correlation: If you have used up all your AoOs for the round, you cannot use Stormguard warrior to channel the storm when an opponent provokes one, because you couldn't have made that attack anyway.
Right you are!

I meant to indicate that it can be helpful to leave an AoO unused until the last possible moment.
With enough ways to provoke (Robilar's, Defensive Sweep, etc.) you can often provoke quite a few more attacks than you can attempt.
It's just a matter of guessing which will be your last each round.

Rasman
2010-02-07, 03:36 PM

Feat wise, take Adaptive style. It's invaluable.

Take Martial Study (Vanguard Strike), then, if you are a party man, take Martial Stance (Iron Guards Glare). If you are a solo man, switch out Iron Guards Glare for Thicket of Blades.

Power attack and Mage Slayer are a must. Combat Reflexes & Stand Still are damn good to have also.

Item wise: You'll want the Ring of Growth from Savage Species, reach is always good :smallbiggrin:

That's all I got for you now :smalltongue:

Minataur's...Great Hammer...LOVE IT, I'll probably switch out my Great Sword for this then, screw the bonuses...hmm...after actually looking at it...it's an Exotic Weapon, not REALLY sure if I want to burn the feat to be able to use it without penalty...

I like Ring of Growth too, shame it's only once a day, because my Monk would LOVE it too, but it would probably be easier to just get Perm Enlarge Person

AoOs aren't going to be a HUGE deal unfortunatly because this one shot is going to be a sort of Gladitorial fight style, so a lot of 1v1 and such, so unless I took Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes chain, it wouldn't really be worth it, maybe, unless I'm not looking at this the right way, because I assume I only get one AoO out of an opponent, but if I Storm all their AoOs, then I get massive hit and damage added on?

Pluto
2010-02-07, 04:48 PM
Minataur's...Great Hammer...LOVE IT, I'll probably switch out my Great Sword for this then, screw the bonuses...hmm...after actually looking at it...it's an Exotic Weapon, not REALLY sure if I want to burn the feat to be able to use it without penalty...

To be fair, Warblades make better use of EWP than most, given that one feat means that they can use any weapon at all with an hour's training. It's probably not useful for your arena one-shot now, but in longer-running campaigns it can be neat.

unless I'm not looking at this the right way, because I assume I only get one AoO out of an opponent, but if I Storm all their AoOs, then I get massive hit and damage added on?
Bingo.
You just need to keep one AoO in reserve if you want to turn down an AoO for Stormguard Warrior.
You can turn down any number of AoOs per round, provided you can make your enemies provoke.
Your feats look like you're going to be making them do some provoking.

Also, Channel the Storm works very nicely with Two Weapon Fighting (provided you have the TWF or Agile Shield Fighter feats) and any maneuvers which grant extra attacks (which can turn your low attack bonus rolls into massive damage bonuses for your high attack bonus rolls).

Rasman
2010-02-07, 05:24 PM
To be fair, Warblades make better use of EWP than most, given that one feat means that they can use any weapon at all with an hour's training. It's probably not useful for your arena one-shot now, but in longer-running campaigns it can be neat.

Bingo.
You just need to keep one AoO in reserve if you want to turn down an AoO for Stormguard Warrior.
You can turn down any number of AoOs per round, provided you can make your enemies provoke.
Your feats look like you're going to be making them do some provoking.

Also, Channel the Storm works very nicely with Two Weapon Fighting (provided you have the TWF or Agile Shield Fighter feats) and any maneuvers which grant extra attacks (which can turn your low attack bonus rolls into massive damage bonuses for your high attack bonus rolls).

OH, after reading THIS (http://www.thedungeonmaster.com/AttacksOfOpportunity.pdf) it seems I misunderstood how AoOs worked. I asumed you got 1 and ONLY one AoO on an opponent, but, if I'm reading it right, you get an AoO for each action they preform that evokes an AoO. So I might go Combat Reflexes anyway, just because that's a LOT of added damage in there.

So with Channel the Storm in there, what would an AoO Damage pumping build look like?

Rasman
2010-02-07, 10:33 PM
After working out my feats now, I've narrowed it down to

Blind Fight, Iron Will, Stone Guard Warrior, Combat Reflexes, Defensive Sweep, Deft Opprotunist, Side Step, Robilar's Gambit, Power Attack, Leap Attack and MAYBE Shield Slam, Shield Charge and Imp Shield Bash, but I still have two feats missing, so I was thinking I could maybe pick up a maneauver and stance from another devotion, but with this kind of build, what would help most. ATM I'm looking at Martial Spirit and Thicket of Blades from Devo Spirit for Stances and I don't have a clue what Maneauver I'd take, any suggestions on that or other feats I should take instead?

Fluffles
2010-02-07, 11:30 PM

There's a weapon enhancement that lets you treat a weapon as if you had proficiency in it. I forget what it's called though... Either way, take the EWP, if you don't like the hammer you can always trade it out for a spiked chain :smalltongue:

Talbot
2010-02-08, 02:13 AM
There's a weapon enhancement that lets you treat a weapon as if you had proficiency in it. I forget what it's called though... Either way, take the EWP, if you don't like the hammer you can always trade it out for a spiked chain :smalltongue:

Also, don't forget with Warblade's ability to change which weapons a feat applies to, you can switch to any other exotic weapon more or less whenever you feel like it for free.

Rasman
2010-02-08, 03:20 AM

that's...true...totally forgot that, I'll have to go look it up, I think it's in BoED, but I'm not sure...

lol...I might just carry both, truth be told, just so I can go from controller to face smasher

Also, don't forget with Warblade's ability to change which weapons a feat applies to, you can switch to any other exotic weapon more or less whenever you feel like it for free.

Also true, but with this being a one shot thing, I'll probably slide on this, although it would be good for if I ever scale down this character to use in a campaign.

absolmorph
2010-02-08, 05:33 AM
Skillful.
Dunno where it is or what the cost modifier is, though.

Eloel
2010-02-08, 05:41 AM
Skillful.
Dunno where it is or what the cost modifier is, though.

It's in CArcane, not sure on the price, should be +2 (it also lets you treat your BAB as 3/4 your character level. Very useful on wizards that decide to beat fighters in their own game.)