PDA

View Full Version : Learning Character Creation from scratch

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 10:00 PM
I've played a few games with pre-built characters and I've lately been making my first attempt at making one of my own. I've pretty much done the research on my own and I have access to a lot of the books (3.5 and 4.0) and have attempted to make a unique C.N necromancer character for 3.5

Now, since I'm an utter novice at this, can anyone tell me where I might have gone awfully wrong with this character sheet? Stats wrong, things I've neglected, laws I've broken... anyone who takes the time to help me here is appreciated, I suppose I'm not as clever with numbers as I thought.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=183871

Starbuck_II
2010-02-06, 10:07 PM
I've played a few games with pre-built characters and I've lately been making my first attempt at making one of my own. I've pretty much done the research on my own and I have access to a lot of the books (3.5 and 4.0) and have attempted to make a unique C.N necromancer character for 3.5

Now, since I'm an utter novice at this, can anyone tell me where I might have gone awfully wrong with this character sheet? Stats wrong, things I've neglected, laws I've broken... anyone who takes the time to help me here is appreciated, I suppose I'm not as clever with numbers as I thought.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=183871

Wait, Don't you need Spell Focus: Conj to get Agument Summoning? You need the Preq to get the feat.

Godskook
2010-02-06, 10:07 PM
How were your attributes generated? Point buy or rolled?

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 10:12 PM
Wait, Don't you need Spell Focus: Conj to get Agument Summoning? You need the Preq to get the feat.

Ah, you are very right sir. I need to exchange that for a different feat until I focus Conjuring. Much oblieged.

Godskook: Rolled, I believe 13 is an average so I assume they're not so bad. That said I've seen people getting to twenty on first level, so maybe I'm wrong.

FishAreWet
2010-02-06, 10:15 PM
Ah, you are very right sir. I need to exchange that for a different feat until I focus Conjuring. Much oblieged.

Godskook: Rolled, I believe 13 is an average so I assume they're not so bad. That said I've seen people getting to twenty on first level, so maybe I'm wrong.

Statistically, those are good roles. In gameplay, they aren't great. Character creation is a world of minimizes costs and maximizing returns. Specialization is simply how that is done. Having pretty good numbers in all abilities is flat worse then having great numbers in one or two abilities and ignoring the rest. This is ESPECIALLY true for spellcasters.

Xenogears
2010-02-06, 10:16 PM

Well as a human the highest you could get is an 18 since you have no racial bonuses. So your scores are very good actually.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 10:16 PM
Statistically, those are good roles. In gameplay, they aren't great. Character creation is a world of minimizes costs and maximizing returns. Specialization is simply how that is done. Having pretty good numbers in all abilities is flat worse then having great numbers in one or two abilities and ignoring the rest. This is ESPECIALLY true for spellcasters.

Well I can understand that, true. Still, since I had no control over the rolls I tried putting the higher bonuses on Charisma and Wisdom as these most affect the necromancy spells.
I suppose if I go into a point-buy campaign I can just alter the stats at the beginning and do things the min/max way?

Xenogears
2010-02-06, 10:19 PM
Well I can understand that, true. Still, since I had no control over the rolls I tried putting the higher bonuses on Charisma and Wisdom as these most affect the necromancy spells.
I suppose if I go into a point-buy campaign I can just alter the stats at the beginning and do things the min/max way?

Depending on the point-buy getting an 18 can be too expensive to be worth. It takes ummm 16 points IIRC to get an 18. So in a 32 Pt Buy thats half your points already spent. Personally I'd rather spend that 16 points getting a 16 and a 14. Some people play at 24 Pt Buy and then you'd have only 8 points to spend after your 18.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 10:48 PM
Alright I've exchanged Augmented Summoning for its requirement, Spell Focus: Conjuration. I was considering Toughness, since 8 HP seems scarce, but with any luck the d6 Hit Dice will compensate.

If anyone has anything else to comment on I'd appreciate it, I still have no idea what Touch or Flatfoot means.

The Glyphstone
2010-02-06, 10:53 PM
Touch is your AC to touch you, it is your AC not including any Armor, Natural Armor, or Shield bonus.

Flat-Footed is your AC when caught off guard, it is your AC not including any Dodge bonus or Dexterity bonus.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 11:08 PM
Phew, well much oblieged! I suppose then I don't really have any more questions, if I've made any errors I'm sure I'll find out along the way.
Thanks to you guys for helping, I may just be getting into the swing of this.

CTLC
2010-02-06, 11:12 PM
very nice choice with the dread necro! it gishes very well with amazing stats like that. enjoy firing off rays of enfeeblement all the time at level 1. its ridiculously effective.

Narazil
2010-02-06, 11:14 PM
I'd just like to point out - you've checked your class skills as Cross-Class Skills. The little box means Cross-Class, blank means Class skill.

Edit: Also, you get another language. Common as standard, plus 1 language per intelligence modifier (only at first level)

Edit again: Leather armor has an Arcane Spell Failure of 10%. Basicly, if you cast arcane spells subject to ASF in it (spells with somatic components), you have a 10% chance of fizzling.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-06, 11:19 PM
Alright I've exchanged Augmented Summoning for its requirement, Spell Focus: Conjuration. I was considering Toughness, since 8 HP seems scarce, but with any luck the d6 Hit Dice will compensate.

If anyone has anything else to comment on I'd appreciate it, I still have no idea what Touch or Flatfoot means.

Toughness sucks. It gets flat-out blown away in later books. Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior) is generally considered the Golden Standard for HP improvement.

You're a Dread Necromancer? Don't worry too much about your HP at this level. Stay out of melee range as much as you can, and stick to ranged spells or a Crossbow. Once you hit 2nd level, you're free to get up in their grill and smack them with whatever you have.

Narazil
2010-02-06, 11:24 PM
Toughness sucks. It gets flat-out blown away in later books. Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior) is generally considered the Golden Standard for HP improvement.

You're a Dread Necromancer? Don't worry too much about your HP at this level. Stay out of melee range as much as you can, and stick to ranged spells or a Crossbow. Once you hit 2nd level, you're free to get up in their grill and smack them with whatever you have.

Quote for emphasis. Toughness sucks, it's a trap.

And remember, while Wizards get called the most powerful class of all, they start out with d4+con mod HP. So you aren't too screwed.:smallwink:

CTLC
2010-02-06, 11:35 PM
right before level 3 take nercopolitan instead of the level. thematic and awesome.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-06, 11:37 PM
I'd just like to point out - you've checked your class skills as Cross-Class Skills. The little box means Cross-Class, blank means Class skill.

Edit: Also, you get another language. Common as standard, plus 1 language per intelligence modifier (only at first level)

Edit again: Leather armor has an Arcane Spell Failure of 10%. Basicly, if you cast arcane spells subject to ASF in it (spells with somatic components), you have a 10% chance of fizzling.

Hey thanks for the great advise there, I'll get right on that :smallbiggrin:
As for the 10% Arcane failure casting the Dread Necro has light armour proficiency and defies any failure percentage for spells from light armour. I was pretty chuffed to realise that one!

I'll get right on the adjustments, wonder what language to get...

Nich_Critic
2010-02-07, 01:34 AM
In your non lethal damage, you have 1d6/1d6. I think it's supposed to be the amount you've currently taken, not your unarmed strike damage.