PDA

View Full Version : I wanna bunny

Dr.Epic
2010-02-07, 02:15 AM
So next year I'm going to be living off campus which means I could own a pet. I decided that I get one I want the most bad ass, most intimidating animal one could own: a fluffy, little bunny. I like rabbits and have been thinking of getting one.

Problem is I'm not entirely sure if I can handle a pet. There's the responsibility and money. I'm sure I can handle it but just to be sure I'm wondering what sort of care goes into owning a rabbit or similar pet. Those with experience please comment. Also how much am I going to be expected to spend on the little guy. Keep in mind I'm a college student with an extremely limited income and food for the bunny as well as me is kind of important.

There's also a cage and I don't want a small one, although I'm not sure how big my room is: I forget the dimensions. There's also vet fees and I don't even know where the closest vet is to me. I don't even know where the closest pet store/animal shelter to buy a rabbit is located. One of my friends lives off campus and has a dog so I'm sure I could ask her.

So yeah, there's my issue in a nutshell. Oh, I also should talk to my mom about me owning one. You know, when I come home for holidays and other stuff I'm going to have to bring him and see how my feels about having an animal in the house. She could also give me some insight into if she thinks I'm ready to care for a pet.

Seffbasilisk
2010-02-07, 03:32 AM
The only rabbits that have been kept in my family were eventually eaten, so I don't know if I'm the best source.

Since you're on a college stipend (Translation: Always broke, scrambing in the couch coins for beer money) I'd recommend getting rabbit food that if need be you can eat as well. This way, if you're hungry, there's food. If the rabbit's hungry, there's food, and you can choose which one's a higher priority for you.

Totally Guy
2010-02-07, 03:36 AM
There's also a cage and I don't want a small one, although I'm not sure how big my room is: I forget the dimensions.

In your room? Not a hutch in the garden?

Sholos
2010-02-07, 04:38 AM
First, my qualifications. My family owned a total of around 8 rabbits over about 10 or 11 years. Most were in the past 6 years.

Don't. Rabbits need a fair amount of room to run around, so there's one problem right there. Keeping one in a cage for any significant amount of time is just mean; they're not rats or gerbils. Their food isn't immensely expensive, but it's not insignificant; and if it ever, ever gets sick, it's very possible you'll have to decide between letting it die (rabbits are really freaking fragile) and eating, because the vet fees (if you can even find one) are high. Also, they make messes which will probably not win you any friends if you're renting a place.

If you're really aching for some small, furry companionship, I'd really recommend getting a cat. They're fairly low maintenance (clean the litter tray at least once a day and make sure it's fed relatively on time) and can be really affectionate. Food isn't that expensive. We feed our cats a quarter of a can of Innova at night and some dry food in the morning (don't remember the brand). Except for one picky eater who won't eat anything but 9-Lives which means we have to feed her a full third of a can to make up for it's lower quality. We don't spend all that much, and we've got six cats to feed on that. The other cat gets a more specialized food (she's got health issues), and that runs about $25 every two or three months. I think the cans run about 50 cents or so, meaning maybe $7-9 a month, plus the cost of the dry food if you go that route. If you want to stick to just canned, double the cost.

tl:dr - Rabbits will be a huge pain and are not low maintenance. Cats are a much better choice, especially for a college student.

Oh, one more thing. Rabbits aren't going to live as long as a cat or dog, if that factors in.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-02-07, 07:17 AM
The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog is a more realistic portrayal of a rabbit than cuteness and fluffitude. They're vicious creatures. Not recommended.

wxdruid
2010-02-07, 08:08 AM
Or if you want an animal that is easier to take care and aren't grossed out by rats... get a rat. You can keep them in a large aquarium, they use the standard bedding of wood shavings that can be bought in bulk and the food is easy to buy since you can usually find it at large grocery stores or pet stores. I have had pet rats several times and they are pretty smart compared to the size of their brain. They love to be petted, held and played with. I've had rats in the past and I've taught them to jump, to come when called and they always seem happy to see me.

Another option is a golden hamster (not the dwarf variety), they live in a small aquarium and their food is pretty easy to find as well. I would recommend against one of the fancy plastic cages as they'll just chew it up. They love toilet paper tubes/paper towel tubes, small huts, anything to chew on or crawl into.

For both pets, get a lid that locks or they might escape. The rat should be pretty easy to catch if you've trained it. The hamster...just wait til night and when you hear it, shut the door and catch it.

I've had these types of these pets since I was a teenager and I always enjoyed their antics.

edit: you can easily leave hamsters alone for 2-3 days as long as you fill up their water bottle ahead of time. They naturally hoard food and if you leave them with enough for a few days they are usually fine.

Quincunx
2010-02-07, 08:12 AM
My sister keeps dwarf rabbits indoors, in cages, although the rabbits are taken out nightly to hop around and play with rolling and/or chewable toys, and visit the outdoors in warm weather inside a dog pen to hop and chew and be brushed.

Pro: Self-cleaning. Rabbits do benefit from grooming (see Con: Shedding) and do leave a small quantity of turds everywhere like every small mammal, but they do have an instinct to confine most of those turds to one designated 'toilet' corner of their cage. Be SURE your rabbit is clean before buying. Rabbit diarrhea is viral, untreatable, and infectious--it can only be controlled, and not well. A messy rabbit is not a pet.

Pro: Small space. Provided you take them out daily to play and buy something other than the smallest indoor hutch, you can keep them in a space as small as an apartment.

Pro: Inexpensive upkeep. Rabbits require varied rabbit food and good hay (not pellets), shredded cage lining material and some cat litter for the toilet corner, but they don't consume it very quickly. Your upkeep will be paid out in irregular, but higher, prices. (I don't know how serious Seffbasilisk was with shared food. Our rabbits got their fresh greens from the great outdoors, although they tended to prefer fresh browns from the layer below the surface of the lawn.)

Pro: Can be left alone for a weekend if necessary, with extra food and even more hay. See Con: Tenuous Domestication.

Con: Shedding. Dear gods, the shedding. You will learn the origin of the phrase "dust bunnies". Regular grooming will lessen the quantity of flying fur, but never eliminate it entirely. Put the shed fur outdoors in the springtime, and birds will pick it away for lining their nests.

Con: Chews everything. You can provide all the chew toys in the world and the rabbit will also chew things it shouldn't. All visits outside the cage must be constantly supervised. The hutch has to be strong enough to withstand chewing.

Con: More expensive vet visits. Rabbits hide their symptoms, so often by the time you notice something is wrong, it's advanced. Also there aren't as many vets qualified for small mammal practice, so they can charge a premium. Rabbits also need neutering even if you never have them meet another rabbit, for behavioral modification, or else you'll learn the origin of another famous phrase. . .

Con: Tenuous domestication. They aren't as bad as rodents, but if you fail to play with them for a week or longer, they will forget human interaction and revert to wild behaviors like fleeing and nipping.

Dragon queen
2010-02-07, 10:08 AM
I have never owned a rabbit but I have owned 5 parakeets in the past. All small pets are similar ,you have to check on them everyday and remember to feed them. The feeding part is hardest because you have to remember every morning to get out the food and feed it the exact amount needed. I doubt it would be that different from feeding a parakeet besides the fact rabbits don't make a lot of noise.:smallsmile:

ScottishDragon
2010-02-07, 10:29 AM
I own a rabbit(it's sitting in my lap while i am typing this)and they are worth the money,every month or so you need to buy like a 8 dollar food bag,and some 9 dollar cage liner,try to get it litter box trained and you won't have to buy as much cage liner,so prob like 16 buchs a month + cords that it chews up if left to wander around the house + vet bills.

Mine is a double maned lion head rabbit,calico,male,named king:smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-02-07, 10:57 AM
I actually vote for a hamster or some such. Probably much cheaper than a rabbit. I have a Russian Dwarf and I go through a bag of food (about $6.50) every...2-3 months maybe. A bag of bedding (it's a big bag) will last even longer, although I get CareFresh which is a little more expensive, maybe $20. When I had the hamster and two gerbils, a bag lasted me three months about.

My hamster is not social, and is actually mean. Most hamsters I know have been friendly and can be held; a friend said her dwarf would be on a blanket with her and not go off it.

The space they take up is fairly small and while they (usually) need out of the cage time, they don't need as big of a space. They also generally don't smell, and would be easier for, say, roommates or family members to take care of then most other pets- including rabbits. I have mine in a plastic bottomed cage with a wire top. She chews like hell on the wires, but they hold without issue. Ironically, that's the ONLY thing she chews on, despite my many chew toys for her.

I advise against a cat, because they CAN smell. It's not the urine/feces or whatever, it's some cats just smell places up. I had a friend who kept an illicit cat in their apartment, and I couldn't move in because everything smelled even AFTER the cat left, and I was still reacting (I'm allergic to cats). This is after they'd cleaned the room floor to ceiling. Also, if a roommate is allergic to a hamster, they can avoid them. It's way harder avoiding cats.

Plus, your less likely to lose your security deposit/pay for cleaning when you have a smaller pet.

ETA: No matter what rodent, DO NOT get certain wood shavings. I think it's cedar and pine. Aspen is OK, but those are toxic to rodents.

Quincunx
2010-02-07, 11:08 AM
ScottishDragon: Plus litter costs (really cheap) and hay (I don't remember exactly, but less than food), but mucho thanks for up-to-date costs on the food and bedding.

It won't matter if you don't have any other pets, but rabbits can be socialized to other pets, if those other pets are also socialized outside their species. My sister's rabbits play with one of the cats; the rabbits run after the cat, the cat flees, the cat holds its ground and sniffs the rabbits, the rabbits nudge the cat. I didn't believe it was possible until seeing it myself, and it's not even the strangest behavior I've ever seen from a rabbit. A rabbit stalking a cricket, catching it, and eating it--now that was a strange, hopping sequence. . .

Syka: Hamsters have personalities and very tenuous domestication. Leave a hamster on its own for a weekend and, if it is closer to being wild (as the dwarf hammies frequently are), it'll forget, and teaching it again is a pain in the fingertips. I like hamsters, but they're only alike to rabbits in that they're more indifferent to human emotions than most warm-blooded pets. The rat or cat might cuddle alongside you if you're ill, but the rabbit or hamster won't notice.

truemane
2010-02-07, 11:26 AM
I'll echo previous sentiments that rabbits do not make wonderful pets. They do need a lot of room and/or attention and their clean-up and maintenance can be extensive.

I'll also second the notion that a rat is the best small pet you can get. We have nine of the little buggers right now in a giant rat condo formed from three cages connected with tunnels.

You won't need anything that large, but a reasonably sized cage (all metal, no plastic, rats will destroy anything made of plastic) isn't that expensive and you'll find them a lot more social and friendly than just about anything short of a cat.

Of my nine rats, six of them are quite content to sit on my shoulder while I cook, clean, do dishes, laundry, or just hanging out.

You might want to think about getting two, because they are so social. But even then they aren't very expensive and nowhere near as dirty as a rabbit. My rats eat a lot of the fruits and vegetable that we have around the house. They love meat. Love it. In a kind of creepy-maybe-my-rats-are-zombies sort of way.

The major con of rats is that, by and large, chicks don't dig rats. So if you bring chicks over, and there are rats, you'll get nowhere near the mileage out of being a cute-animal-owner as you will with a rabbit.

But in every other way, I would say that rats are superior to any other 'small pet.'

Zanaril
2010-02-07, 11:54 AM
The major con of rats is that, by and large, chicks don't dig rats. So if you bring chicks over, and there are rats, you'll get nowhere near the mileage out of being a cute-animal-owner as you will with a rabbit.

Nonsense. Fancy rats are one of the most adorable creatures in existence.

wxdruid
2010-02-07, 12:57 PM
I am one of the few females I know that enjoy having rats as pets.

While I was searching for a female orange cat online in the shelters I found a shelter that accepts pet rats. I'm waiting for Heather to send me her nice cage and then I'll go pick one up.

I never met a dwarf hamster that was nice. The golden hamsters on the other hand have all been very good pets (unless they escape).

Castaras
2010-02-07, 01:40 PM

I know lots of girls who like rats or don't care one way or the other about them. O.o where'd this "Girls hate pet rats" thing come from? It's tarantulas they're scared of. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-02-07, 01:42 PM
I vote cat. Bunnies are great, but they're pretty high maintenance... :smallfrown:

LCR
2010-02-07, 02:15 PM
The only rabbits that have been kept in my family were eventually eaten, so I don't know if I'm the best source.

Since you're on a college stipend (Translation: Always broke, scrambing in the couch coins for beer money) I'd recommend getting rabbit food that if need be you can eat as well. This way, if you're hungry, there's food. If the rabbit's hungry, there's food, and you can choose which one's a higher priority for you.

You can also eat the bunny. Or pawn him off for beer money.

Solaris
2010-02-07, 02:24 PM
You can also eat the bunny. Or pawn him off for beer money.

To be fair, you can eat any of the small mammals listed in this thread.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-08, 02:57 AM
Darn! I got real excited about having a bunny but apparently if there a lot of work I should just pass for a few years until I'm actually out of school and have a steady job. I will say this: if cost of food is one of the biggest issues it shouldn't be too big a problem. My school has a salad bar so I can get fresh vegetables. Aside from lettuce, what else could I feed a rabbit?

Temotei
2010-02-08, 03:17 AM
Darn! I got real excited about having a bunny but apparently if there a lot of work I should just pass for a few years until I'm actually out of school and have a steady job. I will say this: if cost of food is one of the biggest issues it shouldn't be too big a problem. My school has a salad bar so I can get fresh vegetables. Aside from lettuce, what else could I feed a rabbit?

Babies. That's what our school serves us. :smallcool:

Not really, but it's a running joke I started.

Quincunx
2010-02-08, 04:34 AM
. . .we already covered rabbit diet. It's not "veggies swiped out of the salad bar" unless you enjoy the texture and aroma of runny rabbit poop. For the sake of a critter you can use for the amusement of feeding human food, get a small rodent (mouse which is quick and amusing to watch play, rat which has a personality, hamster which is soft and amusing to watch stuff its cheek pouches*; not gerbil).

*hamster + uncooked spaghetti: hilarity.

Temotei
2010-02-08, 04:44 AM
. . .we already covered rabbit diet. It's not "veggies swiped out of the salad bar" unless you enjoy the texture and aroma of runny rabbit poop. For the sake of a critter you can use for the amusement of feeding human food, get a small rodent (mouse which is quick and amusing to watch play, rat which has a personality, hamster which is soft and amusing to watch stuff its cheek pouches*; not gerbil).

Alternatively, train your rabbit/bunny to hunt/kill those animals and enjoy the bloodbath. Get a snow bunny to make sure the blood shows all the way through the fur.

I just think it would be sweet to have an animal that would attack other pet-like animals on command and consume them for sustenance. :smallamused:

Player_Zero
2010-02-08, 04:48 AM
Get a cat. Much superior pet.

Syka
2010-02-08, 09:52 AM

...you have tempted me with the uncooked spaghetti. How would it be with a Dwarf hamster?

And seeing her stuff her cheek pouches is adorable. I did love my gerbils, but since they were actually really really friendly, I had to give them to other families who had the time for them.

Be warned though- gerbils hop. High. Like, I think my 9 month old one would have been able to hop out of the tub if I'd put him in it.

ETA: I'll reiterate the cat problems: whilst living in an apartment environment with roommates, unless you have previously OKed it with them, cats are a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I love cats to death. I'm just allergic to most of them and wasn't able to move in with a friend because her former roommates had a cat; not too mention they can stink a place up (which said friend's roommate's cat did). Also, the vet bills are larger.

Quincunx
2010-02-08, 10:04 AM
Same procedure as the full-size hamster. Try it, I urge you. One whole strand of uncooked spaghetti. Watch the primitive hamster brain try to cope with a very long, inflexible foodstuff.

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-08, 10:08 AM
Semi-derail: I've been thinking of getting a tortoise or turtle or terrapin. How low maintenance are they?

I'm also planning on drawing small amounts of blood from it once it gets large enough(like foot-sized), as part of my ongoing "research" into immortality and/or natural "well-being improvement"(read: Probably ingesting, but maybe more involved experimentation, if I have the time and equipment). I'm curious as to how much/often I can draw from one(this also means I may have to look into getting more than one).

Yeah, I realise that second part will gross most people out, but this is just part of who I am.:smalltongue:

PS: I also think cats are better pets than rabbits, but that's probably also coloured by the fact that if I had a rabbit, I would probably let it get old enough to breed, then eat it once it has.:smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2010-02-08, 10:11 AM
PS: I also think cats are better pets than rabbits, but that's probably also coloured by the fact that if I had a rabbit, I would probably let it get old enough to breed, then eat it once it has.:smallbiggrin:

...You don't eat pets.

Syka
2010-02-08, 10:26 AM
...You don't eat pets.

You can, it's just not generally accepted practice in the West (well, most places, but it's definitely not unheard of).

Quin, is there any known ill effects that can result (puncturing the cheek pouch or whatever)?

Player_Zero
2010-02-08, 10:31 AM
You can, it's just not generally accepted practice in the West (well, most places, but it's definitely not unheard of).

No, no, no. No, no, no. No.

You don't care for pets if your intent is to butcher them and devour their remains. That's just... Not cricket. Not cricket at all.

And as an addendum you cannot eat anything that is cute.

wxdruid
2010-02-08, 10:36 AM
I can't eat sea kittens???

If you want a small, fluffy cute pet, buy a small rodent (mouse, hamster, gerbil, rat). They live about 2-5 years and they are fun and easy to own.

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-08, 11:33 AM
Terrapins are really pretty amazing though. We had a couple in the pond back in the army, and they'd eat damn near anything you threw into the pond. I remembered feeding them a cockroach that one of my sergeants had splatted(in mid-flight!) with a newspaper, as well as a slug that I (only time I ever tried it) dehydrated by sprinkling McDonald's salt over. Wait, maybe that was the koi that was in the pond. Either way, both live a pretty long time, and can get to a pretty good size. I was tempted to eat both too, except my Warrant Officer would probably have court-marshalled me or something.:smallbiggrin:

I would totally eat pets. When I was much younger(like less than 10 years old), the "girl next-door"(well, the next apartment block, but close enough) classmate of mine, used to pass me chickens and ducks once they grew out of the "cute" phase of their lives. Inevitably, after a couple of weeks in my bathroom, they would then be transferred by cage+cab to my grandmother's bathroom, where they would spend another couple of weeks before getting their throats slit and winding up in mah belly! Yeah, the Chinese are a practical lot. After we've offered food to the dead, we'll have it for dinner as well.:smallbiggrin:

Escef
2010-02-08, 12:53 PM
I had rabbits for several years. I will say the suitability of a rabbit for a pet is entirely dependent on the individual animal's personality. Some of them are outright unfriendly, and will nip at you. Others are largely indifferent, and will ignore you. Some are reasonably sociable, and have no qualms about interacting with people.

As for care, clean their cage or litter box (they are litter box trainable... sort of) with reasonable frequency. Commercial rabbit feed, last I saw, was reasonably cheap (gerbil or hamster food is pretty much the same thing and will easily do in a pinch). Some kind of hay or alfalfa is highly recommended. The occasional lettuce leaf or piece of carrot won't hurt them (just not too much, and clean them first, pesticide levels that a human can't detect can still make a rabbit sick). Certain bits of wild grass and flowers are good as occasional treats (they tend to like clover), but steer clear of buttercups (they're toxic). Dry breakfast cereal on occasion won't hurt them either, but not too much, and just the bland stuff (had one rabbit that loved stale Cheerios, another was ga-ga for Cracklin Oat Bran). And give them something to chew on, their front teeth never stop growing and need to be worn down (a piece of wood, an old paperback, whatever).

Rabbits are lower maintenance than dogs and cats, but aren't as sturdy. Make sure you learn how to handle them. If I ever catch anyone picking up a rabbit by the ears I will grab them by the ear and jerk them around for a while. (I learned first hand, long before I had rabbits, that being picked up by your ears hurts like hell.)

I recommend spending a couple of hours with a rabbit before bringing it home, just to make sure it is reasonably sociable.

The next pet I get, I want a Flemish Giant (http://darwen.us/darrell/blographics/bigbunnies.jpg).

Syka
2010-02-08, 01:07 PM
The next pet I get, I want a Flemish Giant (http://darwen.us/darrell/blographics/bigbunnies.jpg).

That's just a dog with long ears. :smallwink:

Rabbits DEFINITELY have personality. I've met plenty of nice ones, a couple sadistic ones, and I actually (briefly) petsitted for one that was just...vengeful. It refused to poo or pee in the cage- rather it would back up against the corner of the cage to poop and pee OUT of it. IE, on to our floor. We quickly learned to keep it in our laundry room surrounded by newspapers and/or towels.

It was a nice enough rabbit to handle, just finicky about where it would use the bathroom, apparently.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-09, 08:23 PM
No. If I can't get a rabbit I'll just not get a pet. My one roommmate has allergies so anything that isn't in a cage is a bad choice. I also don't want hamster, rat, or gerbil. It'll be easier on my wallet and time.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-09, 08:29 PM
Guinea pigs are like rabbits with small ears, and are easier to take care of. *poke poke*

Dr.Epic
2010-02-09, 08:31 PM
Guinea pigs are like rabbits with small ears, and are easier to take care of. *poke poke*

Really?:smallconfused:

Moff Chumley
2010-02-09, 08:45 PM
Yarly. Cuddle one yerself if thou don't believe me!

Syka
2010-02-09, 09:45 PM
Really?:smallconfused:

Actually, yeah. My friend used to have one. I loved them except for the making me sneeze like nuts whenever I'd go in her room. :) He was a sweetheart of a critter, too.

bluewind95
2010-02-09, 10:02 PM
Shame you want something fluffy. Otherwise, I'd say fish.

Guinea pigs can be really sweet, though. But personally I'm not very fond of rodents as pets because they're messy.

Syka
2010-02-09, 10:31 PM
Shame you want something fluffy. Otherwise, I'd say fish.

Guinea pigs can be really sweet, though. But personally I'm not very fond of rodents as pets because they're messy.

I don't know about other rodents, but my hamster has a very specific area in which she uses the bathroom. As in, I could literally only clean that area, and she'd be fine (ironically, it's right behind her sleeping area). She doesn't even poo elsewhere in the cage. Granted, she'll fling fluff out of the cage when burrowing, but it's never dirty stuff and isn't even that much.

Randel
2010-02-09, 10:46 PM
My family raised a few rabbits to butcher once. I didn't really care for them but I know 2 things:

1). They eat their own poop. Actually they have to eat their food twice to fully digest it so they eat it once and poop out a sort of half-digested glob and then eat that in order to fully digest it. So I know that if you give them one of the cages where the waste just falls through the bottom then they will be malnourished. Its kind of messy to clean their cages.

2). They SCREAM when they die. If they are in danger or sick or about to die then they will let out a banshee-like death scream that will scare the living heck out of you. If there is anyone within a mile of their location they will hear it and probably think that you are brutally torturing somebody. If it gets too hot (I mean, getting heat stroke kind of hot) then they will scream their lungs out as they die. Its how they alert eachother to the presence of predators (normally they just turn around and run for it to escape, if it looks like they are doomed then they let out that blood-curdling scream to curse the universe, give wildcats nightmares for life, and warn their fluffy-tailed brethren to continue the fight for world domination).

So yeah, if you suspect that you might not be able to keep them safe and healthy and such then I would strongly recommend not keeping them within shouting distance to people with heart conditions. Also, if you plan on butchering them... I dunno, smother them in their sleep or something. Or at least find a way to kill them instantly. Shooting them in the head is not a guaranteed insta-kill by the way.

Its freaky that rabbits don't really make any noise at all during their lives... except when they die at which point they ... freakin... scream!

Dr.Epic
2010-02-09, 11:22 PM
If it gets too hot (I mean, getting heat stroke kind of hot) then they will scream their lungs out as they die.

I'm actually not sure how hot it will get. My roommate for next year says the room I'm moving into can get kind of hot over the summer. I'll talk to him about that. But my main focus now is on a guinea pig. I'm wondering about cost (to buy one, feed one, and vet fees) and I'm wondering how big of a cage I should get. Any other stuff about guinea pigs would also be useful to know. Not entirely sure about getting one though.

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-10, 11:26 AM
Warning, do not click unless you really want to see/hear:

a rabbit screaming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEHTkoyw9ss&NR=1)

The actual screaming only occurs about the 50 second mark, and lasts about 20 seconds.

That was slightly disturbing, even to me. On the other hand, it didn't really sound much different from/worse than a rat shrieking. Just louder. Actually, pretty close to the chirpy sound bats make(they fly around just outside my apartment block at this late hour). I'm guessing most people who would slaughter bunnies for consumption probably go the "throat slit" route, just to avoid this problem.

Istari
2010-02-10, 03:07 PM
I am perturbed by the lack of adorable bunny photos, this situation must be remedied.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:9UohrEp4v8ggVM:http://www.dailycuteness.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/bunny1.jpg
Much Better

Escef
2010-02-10, 04:18 PM
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/wallpapers/Wallpaper_WhenFluffyBunniesAttack_800x600.jpg

Linkavitch
2010-02-10, 09:45 PM

Heck, and if the food runs out, you can always eat the rabbit.

Arutema
2010-02-10, 10:03 PM
Having owned both, allow me to voice support for the humble guinea pig. In my experience they have fewer health problems than rabbits. They also don't require as much living space as rabbits.

Personality-wise they're usually quite friendly, even if you do forget to play with them for a couple days.

The one problem I've had with them is that the males may fight each other. If you plan on getting more than one, I would suggest a pair of females.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 01:55 AM
Warning, do not click unless you really want to see/hear:

a rabbit screaming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEHTkoyw9ss&NR=1)

The actual screaming only occurs about the 50 second mark, and lasts about 20 seconds.

That was slightly disturbing, even to me. On the other hand, it didn't really sound much different from/worse than a rat shrieking. Just louder. Actually, pretty close to the chirpy sound bats make(they fly around just outside my apartment block at this late hour). I'm guessing most people who would slaughter bunnies for consumption probably go the "throat slit" route, just to avoid this problem.

That mad me sad.:smallfrown: Poor little bunny.:smallfrown:

I am perturbed by the lack of adorable bunny photos, this situation must be remedied.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:9UohrEp4v8ggVM:http://www.dailycuteness.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/bunny1.jpg
Much Better

Yay! Bunny!

Having owned both, allow me to voice support for the humble guinea pig. In my experience they have fewer health problems than rabbits. They also don't require as much living space as rabbits.

Personality-wise they're usually quite friendly, even if you do forget to play with them for a couple days.

The one problem I've had with them is that the males may fight each other. If you plan on getting more than one, I would suggest a pair of females.

Yeah, I think I'll go with a guinea pig. I'll only get one so there won't be any guinea pig death fights. How much do they cost to buy/feed and how much would a good cage cost?

Arutema
2010-02-12, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I think I'll go with a guinea pig. I'll only get one so there won't be any guinea pig death fights. How much do they cost to buy/feed and how much would a good cage cost?

That I can't recall. It's been too long since I had to give up mine to move into an apartment. :smallfrown: For cages, keep in mind that guinea pigs have sensitive feet and should not be standing on wire mesh. They should be allowed to walk on the woodchips in the bottom of the cage. I made my own with wire mesh and a spare plastic bin.

Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 03:12 PM
That I can't recall. It's been too long since I had to give up mine to move into an apartment. :smallfrown: For cages, keep in mind that guinea pigs have sensitive feet and should not be standing on wire mesh. They should be allowed to walk on the woodchips in the bottom of the cage. I made my own with wire mesh and a spare plastic bin.

Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Na, that's cool. I can always check prices online. Can you at least tell me how much they eat? Like if I buy a bag of guinea pig food that weighs x pounds* how many weeks will that last?

*I'm not sure how much the average bag of guinea pig food weighs.

Arutema
2010-02-12, 11:46 PM
Na, that's cool. I can always check prices online. Can you at least tell me how much they eat? Like if I buy a bag of guinea pig food that weighs x pounds* how many weeks will that last?

*I'm not sure how much the average bag of guinea pig food weighs.
Let's see. I think I fed two of them on 1/2 pound a day. It helps if you also share your leftover vegetables with them. Like rabbits, they love carrots.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-13, 12:18 AM
Let's see. I think I fed two of them on 1/2 pound a day. It helps if you also share your leftover vegetables with them. Like rabbits, they love carrots.

No problem. The cafeteria at my school has a salad bar and I can always sneak food out. The carrots though are sliced but there's also lettuce and other vegetables. Are there any vegetables that I shouldn't feed a guinea pig?

Arutema
2010-02-13, 01:22 AM
No problem. The cafeteria at my school has a salad bar and I can always sneak food out. The carrots though are sliced but there's also lettuce and other vegetables. Are there any vegetables that I shouldn't feed a guinea pig?

I can't give a complete list, but definitely avoid onions and their relatives. They will not be fun to clean up after. Peppers are probably a bad idea too.

THAC0
2010-02-13, 01:59 PM
I suggest looking up their dietary requirements. My friend just lost one of her pigs after accidentally feeding it something bad or too much of something.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-13, 10:41 PM
I suggest looking up their dietary requirements. My friend just lost one of her pigs after accidentally feeding it something bad or too much of something.

Good idea. Off the top of my head I know my cafeteria has...

-tomatoes
-carrots
-lettuce
-broccoli
-beets

Any of those bad?

THAC0
2010-02-13, 10:45 PM

-tomatoes
-carrots
-lettuce
-broccoli
-beets

Any of those bad?

I don't know, which is why I recommended looking it up. Personally, I wouldn't trust my pets health to a random internet forum, especially one not devoted to the pet in question.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-13, 11:54 PM
I don't know, which is why I recommended looking it up. Personally, I wouldn't trust my pets health to a random internet forum, especially one not devoted to the pet in question.

True, but people said they've owned guinea pigs and I was looking to learn from their experience.

Arutema
2010-02-14, 01:10 AM

-tomatoes
-carrots
-lettuce
-broccoli
-beets

Any of those bad?

Carrots, lettuce and broccoli I've had no problems with. Tomatoes and beats i don't think i ever tried.

And to second the previous poster's suggestion, you should definitely look for a good reference site/book for all this rather than rely on the playground too heavily.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 03:01 AM
Carrots, lettuce and broccoli I've had no problems with. Tomatoes and beats i don't think i ever tried.

And to second the previous poster's suggestion, you should definitely look for a good reference site/book for all this rather than rely on the playground too heavily.

Cool. Thanks.

But you've been more helpful than you think. You've convinced me that having a rabbit is too much work and am now thinking about owning a pet that requires less care.

THAC0
2010-02-14, 03:02 AM
Cool. Thanks.

But you've been more helpful than you think. You've convinced me that having a rabbit is too much work and am now thinking about owning a pet that requires less care.

Forums are great places for finding out levels of care and costs for prospective pets, but not so much important facts such as "what foods will kill my pet." :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 03:06 AM
Forums are great places for finding out levels of care and costs for prospective pets, but not so much important facts such as "what foods will kill my pet." :smallsmile:

Yeah, I know that and I do plan to do research and even talk to some people who work at pet stores maybe. I'm just saying it's not a bad place to start posting on an online thread.