PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Rivals Group 1

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-07, 09:07 AM
Chapter 1: The Road Ahead

Within a few days of the duke’s death those seeking either glory or fortune had assembled in the castle and had presented themselves to Sir Harold to accept his mission. Each of them was given a letter declaring them as working for house Arburn for the duration of up to three months or until their mission had been completed. Such letters were mostly symbolic in these days, as feudal lines could be crossed freely by those not born into serfdom, still some of the older nobility would see great value in this.

Though given quarter in the castle commons for a few nights to prepare for the mission guards and members of the court often snubbed most of the fortune seekers and made it clear that they were considered little better than vultures feeding of the misery that had befallen house Arburn. Those few of noble birth were treated much better, often seen as questing knights, and even though the ladies of court were in mourning many seemed eager to spend time with the champion they thought most likely to resolve the mystery and restore the honour of Arburn.

There were only three such champions by the third day, and each had come with an entourage of skilled mercenaries wearing the colours of their respective houses. Sir Gerald of house Lancewood, a young upstart which seemed more interested in courtship than in questing. Sir John Silverdale of the Narinian order, an aging knight of some repute, who soon developed a particular love for the Duke’s drinks. And finally Baron Hugo of Arburn, an ambitious member of house Arburn whose baronial estates were close to the duke’s castle, who was perhaps the only competent aristocrat amongst them.

Their followers were an odd collection of individuals, from chaplains to shield bearers, each of whom was convinced that their master would win the day as if their mission was some kind of tournament. In fact on the first night there, their rivalries very nearly led to fighting, if it hadn’t been for the guard’s timely intervention. Still these were not the only commoners that had come to the castle. In fact a small group had been gathered by a loyal agent of the duke. Each of them had a different reason for being there, but in the palace commons, whilst the others were polishing weapons or shining their master’s boots, they were sitting by the fire to discuss what to do. Each of them realising that none of them could claim the reward or solve the mystery alone.

OOC
Basically it’s the third day since the attack. You’ll have to decide your approach, who’s going to do what. Remember the other noble-employed mercenaries are around and might comment or be asked questions too.

You could also start doing things already, like have a talk with those in the castle. Still I'd encourage you to first talk a little bit to the others and try to work out a plan together. (I don't mind people going solo for a little bit, but remember the game/story will revolve around a group in the end)

A breakdown...

On the first day Penfield gathered Talan from the woods and found Myristail waiting for him in the castle when he got home. (Myristail having only heard the news of her would-be employers death upon her arrival)

The second day the first mercenaries started to arrive as local towns had been informed the day before, amongst them the three knights and Sandre whom had met brother Sigbert on the road. (Sigbert had been staying in the nearby monastery of St. Luke the healer, who’s monks had been asked to come and embalm the duke’s body, naturally the news of the duke’s death attracted his attention, whilst Sandre had come looking for a job)

Some information you have based on networks (note: not all networks provide information)

Penfield (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=182827) - Sliver Basically you know some things about the other party members as agreed in the recruitment thread.

Furthermore see the PM you got before. (about the marcher lords)

You know that the court is already getting restless with the mercenaries and questing knights and commoners. Some talk about Sir Harold not being a good steward because of it is already arising. In fact some wonder why so many mercenaries could be found so quickly.

Talan (www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=182900) - Emlyn
Ash isn’t too happy around all these people; he doesn’t like the Baron’s men in particular, but that could be because of the wolf-skin cloaks they wear. (lacking a network, this is the best you get)

Myristail the Green (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=182909) - Leush
You know lord Silverdale personally; he’s a great admirer of yours and has already tried to charm you on past occasions. As for Sir Gerald, you don’t know him, but House Lancewood is well known for their love of tournaments and personal glory, though generally keep to strict codes of martial honour. They can be pridefull and perhaps bit boastfull of their ancestry (being one of the oldest houses, with many of their daughters being married to kings or other dukes)

Sandre of Oanskeep (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=182913) – Errandir
The reason you’re in these parts is a rumour amongst mercenary companies that work would soon be plentiful here. However, when you got to the town you were staying in three days ago there were only a few mercenaries there, but prices for supplies had risen to levels you’d only see when campaigning armies moved by.

Brother Sigbert of Lancre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=182857) - Sky Pilot
You’ve heard from the embalmers that the duke had not died in the battle, but rather had his throat slit afterwards. (remember your network is mostly about provisions/sleeping arrangements and some news)

Posting Format
Choose a colour for speach, use italics for thoughts and always put your Character name and location (with HP/AC in battles) on top of posts. Use spoilers for OOC comments. Example:

Sir Gerald in the Gardens

Sir Gerald was busy charming the lady Elisanbeth in the Gardens, his thoughts being far from the quest he had come here for.

She must be impressed by me, afterall who wouldn't be.

He thought to himself as he placed his had on her hers to draw her attention away from the flowers.

"Have I ever told you about Sir Gerald the dragonslayer, my great great grandfather for whom I was named?"

OOC
How is she responding to his advances? Do I need to roll anything?

OOC Thread Ancient Rivals OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7838957#post7838957)

Leush
2010-02-07, 12:26 PM
Myristail the Green by the Fire (mostly)

At first the young woman sat by the fire, listening to what was being said distractedly. Round her shoulders is a cloak that is a crosshash of two shades of green- below a warm and slightly worn looking shirt of lighter green and matching skirt that reaches almost to the floor. She appeared calm, almost serene, almost sleeping, eyes hidden by a lock of black hair. She was contemplating the fortunate delay that had led to her survival.

Then she grew restless and headed in the direction of Lord Silverdale's servants, green cloak wrapped tightly about her, black hair flowing down its back. She would greet those of them who she knew and talk a little, eyes cast down and hidden (as if her custom), mainly asking about how things have been since her last visit, slipping in the occasional question about how they thought their lord would go about solving the mess and who these other two noblemen were, noting how Sir Gerard didn't seem too characteristic of his house. Upon hearing an answer that seemed particularly interesting she would forget her meekness and look the speaker straight in the eye with her own startling green eyes, the curiousity within them asking them to speak.

After a while she she makes a comment about how castles are always chilly and how she, were she a Lady or Dutchess would have herself a wonderful warm cottege- or better five so that if someone came to abduct her, they wouldn't be able to find her and makes her way back to the fire where she continues to contemplate what she has learned and what she already knows as she warms her hands by the fire.

She brushes away the lock of hair and raises her piercing eyes to the others by the fire, looking into theirs patiently and curiously, waiting for them to speak first.
-----------------------------------
OOC:
Gather Information Check on the three Nobles [roll0] (Should have taken ranks!)
Knowledge Local on party:
Penfield: [roll1]
Talan: [roll2]
Sandre: [roll3]
Brother Sigbert: [roll4]

Sliver
2010-02-07, 02:35 PM
Penfield

Penfield attempts to talk to the merceneries, staying out of the nobles' way. He tries to gather information about their lords, rumors they heard, their and the lord's opinion on the new king and the marcher lords.

When the lords first arrive, he approaches Myristail and asks "I believe your kind knows it's way around nobility, right? Can you find out what they think about the new king and the marcher nobles? It might be nothing, but I heard the marcher lords didn't like the new king.."

[roll0]

Sky Pilot
2010-02-07, 03:42 PM
Brother Sigbert of Lancre by the Fire

The brother has pulled his habit up to his knees and stretched his legs out by the fire, his hobnailed boots are damp and steaming gently. He nods at Myristails comment, the castle requires much effort to heat and while traveling he has found he is generally much happier in a peasants hut than a stone abbey or cathedral. When he speaks, his voice is hushed.

We seem to have gone relatively unnoticed, but I do wonder how long this can last good sirs and ladies. I can't help but think of the damage this horde will do to the road and each other most likely. If we are too gleam any information from the place of ambush we need to be ahead of this gaudy pack.

Leaning forward he drops his voice lower

The Brothers of Saint Luke say the Duke was not killed in battle but had his throat slit afterwards. I am not sure what to make of this, did his attackers have complete surprise? Did he know them and unsuspectingly allow them to get close? I think answers will be found on the ground if we look hard enough, especially our friend of the woods.

he says the last nodding at Talan

OOC: Edited the color

Errandir
2010-02-07, 05:49 PM
Sandre by the fire

Sandre has also settled himself by the fire, and sits savoring the crackling and the warmth. He has taken off a brown, weather-stained traveling cloak and draped it over the back of the chair, but despite the obvious inconvenience, his greatsword remains strapped in its sheath at his back. At Sigbert's words, he nods his approval and agreement, but says nothing. For the moment, he seems content to let Penfield and the others run the expedition.

Meanwhile, Sandre sits, watches the others, and thinks on what scant information he's been able to glean. He briefly considers finding the estate guards' quarters and asking a few questions, but he's been on his feet for the last week or so and truly doesn't feel like getting up at the moment; besides, he reasons that the guard are not likely to be well disposed towards mercenaries come to profit from their lord's death. Instead, he probes his memory for anything he might remember about House Arburn - including any enemies they might have - or for knowledge of any nobles who might have reason to oppose the imminent coronation.

Knowledge (nobility and royalty): [roll0]

After having searched his memory for a while, he shrugs and refocuses on his immediate surroundings. At one point, when his gaze crosses the various servants sharpening and polishing weapons in a corner, one callused hand reaches up to the hilt of his sword as if to do the same - but he quickly remembers that he has neither whetstone nor polish with him, and drops his hand, frowning to himself.

Emlyn
2010-02-07, 11:50 PM
Talan by the Fire

Talan sits stoically by the fire, replying to questions but inviting no further conversation. Next to him lies Ash, a truly massive wolf whose ash gray coat flickers softly in the fire light. He has left on his mottled green cloak though he has left the cowl down. His great composite bow leans against the chair while his swords are still strapped to his hip. He replies to the question with, "If there are tracks, I will find them." He goes back to starring into the fire.

He has had much to think about the last few days. For the first time in 18 years he finds himself thrust into society. And then there was Penfield, the man who had tracked him down and dragged up wounds he had thought long buried. Thinking about the day of his excommunication brought little emotion but he couldn't help but subconsciously rub his scar. His thoughts drifted on towards the task at hand, but only briefly. Instead he thought towards the day when he would be able to return to the beloved woods, just him and Ash.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-08, 06:25 AM
In the Castle Commons

As Myristail spoke to Sir Silverdale's men she was quick to realise most didn't have a clue as to how their master was going to solve it, though none would directly admit it. One of them, a tracker by the name of Nate, explained they'd probably ride out to the site of the attack and he'd lead his masters men through the woods until they found the bandits responsible.

Meanwhile Penfield's questions about the marcher lords were regarded as odd by most of the mercenaries. Few of them have any particular opinion about such things, but their lieges are generally the travelling kind and have good relations with the Marcher Lords, which are often in need of the services of travelling knights.

Sitting by the fire Sandre remembered few things about house Arburns current political role, but does recall that the house is one of the older lines of nobility, their lands secured long ago and having enjoyed relative stability for over a century. Though as he watched the other mercenaries polish their armor he noticed an old friend wearing the colours of house lancewood, Fredrick, who was a swordsmen like himself and had campaigned with Sandre in the borderlands some ten years ago.

The calm at the fireplace was disturbed as a large, obese mercenary who had been polishing his axe called out to the whispering Sigbert and Talan.

“Oi, aren’t you that skulking woodsman. What are you doing here, talking to the good brother?”

OOC
I already said, there will be no need to roll social interactions as the role-playing can replace your dice roll. Still this time it's useful to speed things along.

Emlyn
2010-02-08, 01:19 PM
Talan slowly turns his gaze towards the man and fixes him with a cold stare. Ash raises her head and lets out a low growl. Talan does not reply but continues to stare the man down.

Sky Pilot
2010-02-08, 03:47 PM
Sigbert by the fire

As the ranger plays with his hand his eyes fall briefly to the scar and widen briefly in shock as he recognizes a mark of excommunication. He tries to keep a straight face, hoping the approach of the fat mercenary hides his recognition. He is unsure of what to do, but he quickly racks his memory of the history of the church to try and place Talan and his mark in it. He is quiet while the mercenary addresses Talan,thinking to himself. When he realizes that Talan is not going to say anything he pays more attention and turns to the mercenary, trying to place his livery.

"Good sir I invited him to talk to me. I am traveling and wished to know more about the roads and area, something my good fellow here knows quite well. You will have to forgive him as he spends so much time in the woods he is no longer quick to talk. I must say that is a mighty fine axe you have there, it looks like it services yourself and your lord well?"

OOC: Edited the color

Leush
2010-02-08, 04:16 PM
Myristail the Green (Day 1 speaking to Penfield).

At the these words the minstrel had chuckled quitely, as if remembering some inside joke.

My kind... My kind... And who exactly do you mean when you invoke that turn of phrase? She thought, but refrained from voicing those thoughts.

"Actually I thought that it was your kind who excels at that." She mused with a smile. "I'll see..."

Back to the present.. By the Fire

She would listen to what Sigbert had to say, regarding him with a touch of curiousity. Though there were all sorts of tales and anecdotes of monks, she had not happen to see one who seemed quite so relaxed, perhaps folklore had its own place for him... She smiles slyly, though it is unclear whether the smile is caused by his words or the thought.

"Attention is a curious sprite." She remarks at Brother Sigbert's words, looking down the fire and is about to continue when the mercenary approaches, but doesn't manage to get in the first word. Even now we watch her work her spell... She doesn't avoid looking at the unfolding challenge, but doesn't become fixated by it.

She notices the Brother's changes of expression and has a difficult time forcing down a giggle as he talks about the man's axe servicing his lord well and takes the poker, prodding the coals half heartedly... A wonderous spell indeed...

Sliver
2010-02-08, 04:56 PM
Penfield by the fire

Returning with no leads, Penfield approaches Talan and, pulling him a bit away speaks quietly "We should travel to the crime scene, examine it for possible leads. Before others go there, they might ruin the more subtle evidence that they are sure to miss. Who is this?" He nods towards the mercenary.

Emlyn
2010-02-08, 05:19 PM
Ash stops growling but keeps a keen eye on the merc. Talan let's Penfield take him aside and listen's to his comments. When he mentions the mercenary, Talan replies "Ask him, I don't know. As for your plan, I agree. The sooner we leave the better." And the sooner I'll be free of this. "When do you wish to go?"

Sliver
2010-02-08, 05:31 PM
"Soon. We should not leave alone, but I'm not sure about these men.."

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-09, 04:23 AM
In the Castle Commons

“Beg’in your pardon brother.”

The tall man mumbled his apology as Thomas addressed him, turning a shade of red that could either be shame or subverted anger. A quick word about his axe serving other purposes too followed the apology, but it could barely be heard. It was clear he wasn’t about to risk his soul speaking against an ordained member of the church. Still the man, and several of those with him, kept glaring at the ranger whilst completing their chores.

A few young servant girls entered a few moments later, carrying bread and water for the assembled troop of fortune seekers. Their eyes were cast downwards, evidently not to comfortable with their assigned charge. Some lewd remarks by mercenaries were inevitable, and the girls were quick to leave the plates and jugs. Before departing one of them slipped Penfield a note.

Penfield’s Note
Penfield, can you find a way to get these knights and their men out of our castle and start onto the assigned quest!

Though there was no signatory, the handwriting and short style unmistakably marked it as coming from Sir Harald.

OOC
Spot dc 15 to see the note being slipped, dc 25 to read it if Penfield decides to read it in plain sight of the others. DC 20 knowledge (local) to recognize the handwriting for everyone who isn’t Penfield (only I they manage to read it).

Sliver
2010-02-09, 04:49 AM
Penfield moves slightly away and reads. Then he looks at the men in the commons. He then turns back to Talan and speaks "Walk with me". As they pass Sir Gerald's men, he tells Talan, off handily, pretending he isn't aware of the men "I heard that Baron Hugo told his men they have a lead.. They will probably be on their way soon. Of course they won't share that." as they get further, he adds "I bet he will solve the case.. The others don't have an idea where to start" He does the same with the other lord's men, naming a different lord. After finishing walking around, he returns with Talan to the fire "You think any of these is worth taking along to examine the scene?"

Sky Pilot
2010-02-09, 07:50 AM
Sigbert by the fire

Nodded politely at the mercenary, not sure if he had given offense or not, truly he would have to learn to think more before he spoke, ah well hopefully he would have time to do so. He watched Penfield walk away with Talan and considered his position.

Hmmm a conundrum. But, even if Talan is marked as anathema, technically he was still of the faith if forbidden its sacraments. Excommunication is in itself a harsher form of penance and whoever had given Talan his mark, would have likely also given him conditions of reconciliation. Perhaps... many in church of course would regard it as a lesser mark of heresy and social stigmata, this is an awkward position the good master Penfield has put me in. Still his willingness to help indicates that he is a just man and I really should know more before I jump to conclusions. Of course there is no better way to get to know someone than spend time on the road with them!!

As Penfield and Talan return he mutters under his breath focusing on his wooden symbol of Thomas and calling on the saint to give him some guidence on the nature of the woodsman.

Good Thomas of the Road
Lend a troubled brother clear sight
Give me the grace to see beyond
Mans earthly weaknesses and secular realms
To gaze upon a man as he truly stands before god

He nods politely at Penfields return, but is a little confused if his comment is directed to the party or the mercenary's around them instead.

OOC

Casting detect evil just to clear any doubt about Talan from his mind.

Is Sigbert aware of an excommunication edict for Talan with either his history or religious knowledge?

Having a quick look at excommunication this essentially means that Talan is forbidden from receiving sacraments or communion until he is reconciled to the church (assuming we are going with a christian medieval theme)?

Edit: to add title

Emlyn
2010-02-09, 08:07 AM
Talan

Talan thinks for a moment and replies, "The brother has been kind enough to not declare me a devil despite noticing my mark so may come. The merc whose sitting by the fire looks experienced, he could be helpful. And if you insist, bring the bard but tell her to stay out of the way." It's clear Talan isn't comfortable saying so much at once but he manages to get it all out.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-09, 08:35 AM
The Castle Commons

Sigbert’s prayer
Sigbert’s prayer causes him to glimpse into Talan’s soul, revealing that despite carrying a far greater burden of dark taint than most, the taint is old and he seems to have an inner light keeping him going ever since.

OOC
I already stated that ‘alignment’ was not so much of an issue, and spells involving it very much depended on perspective, so information and results might vary from casting to casting. Detect evil I would generally not allow to reveal much avout normal humans, unless they carry a mark like excommunication or something or have a pact with demons or are maybe carrying some dangerous stolen goods. In essence it is more like 'detect sin', but being a superficial thing it cannot generally see into past or future, only current sin or strong ones.

For instance a nobleman who just killed a serf in cold blood for no reason would likely register as hot and sharp, but one who did so last week and is confronted with the fact might register merely as cold (for having no regret). (your knowledge religion and the quality of the prayer helping in the level of information given)

Still since it's perspective dependant an aristocratic priest of an aristocratic church order who believes the noble had the 'right' to do that might see nothing wrong. Just like a serf stealing food for his family might not register on your 'radar'.

+200 roleplaying xp to Sigbert for using prayers to cast spells so eloquently.

Leush
2010-02-09, 05:20 PM
Myristail by the Fire

Though she notices the note, and there is something of a spark in her eye as she does, the bard pays it little heed, instead thanking the nearest servant girl and smiling reassuringly, as if to say 'be strong!'

As Penfield and Talan return, not hiding their tactless comments, Myristail's hand twitches just a little. Do they take me for some damsel in distress ignorant of the dangers of the open road? Thus she turns to Brother Sigbert.

"Do you consider that if we move at the crack of dawn we'll be on time, or perhaps we should gather what we need and set off immediately?" She asks the priest, looking into his eyes, as if the answer was written within. "I for one, would dearly like to see the path upon which I should have died with the good Duke and his entrouge (may they find peace), should fate not have held back my thread."

I read it as the exchange between Talan and Penfield taking place by the fire. If I am wrong, do say.

Sky Pilot
2010-02-09, 06:45 PM
Sigbert by the fire

He pauses briefly, prehaps the lady's look making him mull over his words.

It would be better if we left just before dawn, in the night we might miss the site or worse add to the confusion by accidently muddling the scene. As it is we do not know the damage that may have already been done.

He rubs his chin and sighs.

I need no preperations being ready to go as I am. It is likely that we may encounter these gentleman around us again and I do not like to live things unwell, so I will talk to yonder gentleman he nods at the mercenary's until we are ready to depart

He stands and looks at Talan,

I do not believe you a devil nor am I likely to declare you as much, for you are not. I know little of your history but there appears to be a noble light in you which satisfies me for the present. I have faith that Saint Thomas would not direct me to have truck with those of a vile ilk and he has not lead me astray yet. Tell me when we are ready to leave

Sigbert wanders over to the mercenary with the axe and begins to make small talk and entice the men around him into telling tells. He tries to turn any ill feeling with tales of the road, not being preachy but making jovial conversation.

OOC

I am happy to go, I assume that you guys may want to ply contacts more for information or seek intentions from the questors

Errandir
2010-02-09, 06:50 PM
Sandre, the Castle Commons

Sandre remains in his chair. Although his eyes seem half-closed, the scabbard slung across his back forces him to sit straight up, and he is clearly aware of his surroundings. He notes the mark of excommunication on Talan's hand but lets it pass without comment; likewise, he ignores the others' references to him. When none of them seem inclined to approach him, his mouth quirks slightly in amusement.

As his eyes scan across the group of mercenaries in the corner, however, Sandre's eyebrows suddenly jump up and he leans forward in his chair, showing signs of energy for the first time. He pauses, looks more closely, and lets out a low, amused chuckle.

He stands, crosses the room in a few long, easy strides, and claps a calloused hand on the other mercenary's shoulder. "Frederick...?" His voice is rich and expressive. "Still following the sword, eh?" he adds, gesturing at the man's burnished steel, and then widens his eyes innocently and assumes a tone of deep astonishment. "Now, by the Saints, how did you pick up a position in House Lancewood? With a record like yours, I'd be less surprised to find you scrubbing out their kitchens."

Despite the good-natured ribbing, Sandre is smiling broadly. "How's life been treating you?"

Emlyn
2010-02-09, 07:10 PM
Talan looks quizzically at Sigbert. He almost speaks but checks his tongue. If the brother wishes to think that, then so be it. A noble light? Now that's a new one...

"Penfield will decided when we leave." He returns to his place by the fire and resumes his contemplation of it.

Sliver
2010-02-09, 11:35 PM
Penfield by the fire

Penfield listens to Sigbert's first words and nods, ignoring the rest he finally speaks "He is right. We should move at dawn. I hope non of these-" he motions at the rest of the room "-will decide to explore before we get the chance to do it.."

Leush
2010-02-10, 02:59 AM
Myristail, by the fire

She considers the priest's reply and seems to be about to say something before the woodsman speaks, but nods slowly instead.

Lord Silverdale's head will be too heavy with wine and Sir Gerard's heart is hardly in the investigation... That leaves only the baron to contend with... And I might not be able to distract him... But even a good master won't ride out without his polished boots... She thinks, considering Penfield's words. What games I play and for whose sake?

"Oh, think that's quite unlikely." She says quietly, the sly smile upon her face. Her voice drops to almost a whisper as she turns to face the fire. "As long as we are up before dawn, we'll likely have the scene to ourselves."

She extracts her pan-pipes from somewhere beneath the cloak, and begins to examine them, as if checking for signs of wear and decay. Seemingly satisfied she lifts them to her lips and begins to play, quietly and seemingly absent mindedly. She plays a melody that seems to forget itself, both slow and low, being close to repetitive but far enough away to keep one's attention, a hint of danger, a hint of mystery within it. After a little time, seeming lost in the quiet little tune, she changes it. It becomes distinctly higher, faster and gains a little cheer. It becomes loud enough to be heard throughout the commons but (hopefully) not louder. She will play song after song, changing from one theme to another as a preacher turns the pages of the scriptures (though the open road and the high seas occur more often than chance would have it) and she will play till the work is forgotten, till hours have past and there is no hope of regaining the work lost....

OOC
Perform Wind to keep the good ol crowd distracted from their work and hopefully have them up late so they will have a hard time finding their heads in the morning. I know I don't need the roll, but meh, rolling is fun. [roll0]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-10, 09:53 AM
In the castle commons

Penfields remarks to Talan were easily overheard by some of the mercenaries, who began glancing at the perceived competition. The rivalry of last night had not yet been forgotten by them, now it was being channeled into hurried completion of their preparations. Talan could even see some of the less muscular men wander out into the palace courtyard, likely of to find their employers.

As they worked, the mercenaries were at first somewhat uneasy at the wandering brother joining them, mostly keeping busy with their chores, but it didn’t take Sigbert long to make a half smile appear on some of their faces. The conversation still kept somewhat stiff after that, the men evidently feeling they were being disturbed, though at least they were no-longer glancing at Talan so much.

Elsewhere in the room Fredrick looked up as Sandre approached, a warm look of recognition on his face. “Well I finally managed to get away from you…” he replied joyfully at the ripping “But life’s been good to me, fell in love and settled down. I now have a woman and child living near my liege’s family estate. Pay is lower, but at least it’s steady and the housing is free.” He looked happy as he spoke and stood up to shake his friends hand. “Still it's good to see old friends, whose banner do you follow these days?”

Myristails music filled the room with a lighter atmosphere, some of the mercenaries stopped to listen to it, or slowed their preparations to a crawl. Where before there had been some talking of 'riding out first' amongst the rivalring groups, now all seemed to enjoy a slower pace of life.

((OOC: actually it’s early on the third day, breakfast (the bread and water) has just been brought in, and waiting till dawn would take a full day))

Sliver
2010-02-10, 12:13 PM
Penfield in the commons

Approaching Myristail, Penfield whispers "Good one. Keep them distracted for a couple of minutes and meet us outside"

He then walks slowly towards Sigbert and speaks quietly "Brother, will you honor us with your presence while we take a walk?"

He then attempts to catch Sandre's attention and motions towards the door. After they all gather outside, he informs them "The other groups are preparing to move out and finally start on their quest, we should have a fine head start and examine the scene before that."

Errandir
2010-02-10, 03:19 PM
Having noted Penfield's exit, Sandre grips his friend's hand warmly and continues bantering. "You're telling me you actually managed to get some poor lass to marry you?" He shakes his head solemnly. "Well, it can't have been for your looks - you must be making more than you've let on."

Sandre grins, but his next words are unwontedly serious. "Congratulations, Fredrick. I'm happy to hear it. Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing with my own life..." He smiles wryly. "I served the old Earl of Westfold for quite a few years, and that was a comfortable position, but he died several winters back and his successor was less than fond of me." Sandre grimaces. "To cut a long story short, this is my first job in too long. I think I'll be working for one of the old Duke's men, probably doing much the same thing as you."

He glances toward the door that Penfield left through, then turns back to Fredrick. "We'll have to find time somewhere to catch up. Do you know how long you'll be around here? I'm not sure how committed Lancewood is to this endeavor."

Leush
2010-02-10, 05:17 PM
Myristail the Green, Relocating:

Morning? already? So that wasn't the moon that was so bright out there. Have I been awake the whole night? No wonder I'm off key... She realises and almost falters. How I detest to abandon an audience like this! Penfield, Penfield, I hope you do not grow to despise me for this, I can't leave them in them just yet...

She shakes her head a a little then begins to change the tune. Slowly it begins to lose itself, becoming once again like it was at the beginning. Only it is both faster and louder and keeps speeding up, until abruptly, it ends, like a duel fought by rivals so hated they had forgotten why they fight, until eventually one slips and is slain- leaving the other shocked to have no one one to fight any more.

She is quick to fill resulting gap in atmosphere. She stands up, with slow deliberation and tucks the pan pipes under the cloak once again. Lastly she lifts her eyes and slowly sweeps the room, pausing on this man and on that. Her voice is bright and penetrating. It hints at something out of reach.

"Forgive me, my friends, not only for interrupting you with pesky words,
Claiming to be your friend when most of us have never met,
And uttering the words that I'm about to speak,
But I must consider you my friends non the less.
Firstly you can cast aside your differences to appreciate a song,
And any man who can do that is truly a friend to a servant of the muses.
Secondly because every one of us in this room seeks the same goal in life.
Growing old with bright-eyed grandchildren aside, we are here to QUEST!
Be it for glory or for gold, for master or for self,
For each man gathered here the quest has only just begun.
Frustration, failure will hover besides us.
The final touch of fate... It shall never be far away.."
She gazes up through the ceiling for a moment, as if contemplating what awaits. Then she levels her gaze at the room again.
"Perhaps what we ought all remember is that we are all rivals.
In a moment of desperation it is hard to let go of our rivalaries,
But if that moment comes, better to fight it and not each other.
And if that moment comes, remember brother and fellow man.
That is all that needed to be said.
May fortune travel with you, friends!
Perchance our paths shall cross again."

She wraps her cloak tightly about her and heads out of the commons, towards her quarter. Finding staff and bow she takes a round about route and will eventually head for the courtyard, arriving undoubtedly late...

----------------------------------
OOC:
Hmm, may have just got myself stoned.... O fates above, look down upon us and do not cut the strings of this poor, foolish bard.. Perform (Oratory): [roll0]

Sky Pilot
2010-02-10, 07:14 PM
Sigbert in the commons

Sigbert nods at Pebfield gathers his few belongings and heads outside, enjoying the bards tunes and wondering how seriously her twords will be taken.

Emlyn
2010-02-10, 11:01 PM
Talan by the fire

Talan departs Penfield to grab his stuff and to get Ash. Arriving at the fire he grabs his bow but stops as he hears Myristail singing. Her song invokes something inside of him that he can't place. Ash senses his confusion and lets out a low whine. What's going on Ash? This feeling, I can't place it... He tries to banish the feeling but it persists until she stops playing.

Talan sighs in relief as the feeling leaves him. Ash comes up and rubs against his leg, sending him thoughts of happiness that his master is better. Talan gives him a quick scratch behind the ears then heads out to meet the group. As he leaves he catches Myristail's comments to the mercenaries.

What does Penfield see in that girl? So much to learn of the cruelty of the world. Ash sends thoughts of a doe being taken down by a wolf. Yes Ash, that is a good way of putting it.

Sliver
2010-02-11, 01:19 AM
Penfield, outside

Noting that the others aren't following immediately but gathering their stuff, Penfield quickly walks into the gardens and picks up his hidden equipment. Then, he will go to secure themselves a few horses to get to the scene quickly. He will not hide his true intentions but will request it to remain a secret.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-12, 06:17 AM
Moving from Commons to Courtyard

"Earl of Westfold" Fredrick nodded as Sandre spoke, recognising the Northern lord that had famously been replaced by his third cousin upon his death after three other contesting claims had been personally denied by the former king. "It was good to see you though, I think I'll be here for another day or so before my liege decides to head off towards the Greybank estate. Seems to believe the Arburn Baron that rules it knows more."

As Fredrick ends his sentence Myristails departing speach made for a quiet way for Sandre to collect his equipment and leave. Soon he found himself in the courtyard where Talan and Sigbert were already waiting, to be joined by Myristail herself a moment later.

The courtyard itself was an unusually busy place so early in the morning, as if a market had been set up with a multitude of soldiers, peasants and servants searching, cleaning or building something. And as they waited for Penfield to return with the horses they noticed various carts being brought in through the gates carrying white flowers, foodstuffs, bundles of firewood and wooden boards for the carpenters. All in preparation for the duke's funeral procession to the church in the town nearby.

Penfield did not take long to return to them, along with several stableboys that were leading riding horses for the group. The saddlebags being filled with several days worth of food and water. For the first time since arriving did the group see some degree of thankfullness in the eyes of the inhabitants as they rode out.

The forest road

The ride to the place of the ambush proved uneventfull, with the warm winds of summers end almost making the journey a pleasent ride if not for their ultimate goal. For a few hours out on the forest road they soon found the signs of struggle, broken arrows, traces of blood and the stench of decay. Many cart tracks were leading away from this place, send by Sir Harold to collect the bodies of the dead soldiers, but no effort had been made to clean the soil itself.

Amids the dry, blood soaked ground many footprints and horse tracks could be seen, but it would take an expert tracker to make any sense of them.

OOC
+150 Roleplaying XP to Myristail for her exit strategy and tension calming

+250 XP quest and RP XP to all for the scene in the commons.

Sliver
2010-02-12, 06:29 AM
Penfield examines the scene for anything that might lead to the identity of the attackers. A dropped object or something, they had to make a mistake. Then he picks up the broken arrows and examines them, while keeping an eye on Talan while that one tries to make sense of the tracks.

Penfield will take 20 on anything possible, but rolls, in case needed:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] + 2 from Myristail's aid other.
[roll3] - trying to identify poison on the arrows.

Emlyn
2010-02-12, 07:51 AM
Talan dismounts and gives his horse a loving pat on it's flank. Ash, who had been keeping pace beside them, wonders off around the scene looking for interesting smells. Talan surveys the scene before him. He notices Penfield taking glances at him but he pays it no mind. After all, the man is right that it would be easy enough for him to slip away right now. But he had agreed to see this through, he already had enough sins to atone for and oath breaking wouldn't be one of them.

He slowly moves around the scene and starts to make sense of what took place here. He also tries to recall if he knows anything about this place. Ash is also looking to see if he finds anything as well as any scents that would help.

Will take 20 if possible (except on Track, otherwise:

Track: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2] (add +4 for anything related to humans and +2 for anything animal related, favored enemies)
Knowledge(geography): [roll3]
Knowledge(nature): [roll4]

Ash's Survival: [roll5] (add +4 if he uses a scent)

Leush
2010-02-12, 02:07 PM
Myristail, at the scene of the crime

Until they reach their destination, the minstrel is cheerful, at which point she scrunches her nose and becomes a little more somber.

Ah! Sweet forest air! Why must I leave you for the stench of rot?"

Trying not to breathe too much through the nose, disdaining the smell, Myristail pulls her stead somewhat uncertainly to a stop a little way away from the bloodied patch of forest and looks around, taking in the scene with just a hint of disdain. Then she closes her eyes, turning all ears for a few seconds before hopping of the horse and tying a knot in the reigns- knowing all too well the tales where a knight loses his horse by sheer negligence.

"Now, don't you run off on me!" She says quietly to the mount as she knots the reigns.

Then she approaches the scene and starts following Penfield at a little distance, hands folded behind her back, peering here and there and bringing it to his attention whenever she notices something- anything that may be of use.

It's not the weapons... Not the weapons She thinks somewhat distractedly.

OOC:
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Search (Aid Another: Penfield) [roll2]

Sky Pilot
2010-02-12, 04:04 PM
Sigbert at the scene of the crime

Having spent the last couple of hours riding somewhat uncomfortably, Sigbert happily falls off his horse and secures it to a tree.

By Saint Mary's beard what an uncomfortable way to travel

He surveys the scene, saying a small prayer to himself and those who lost their lives. As the search of the scene begins he rubs his backside and looks over the area. Considering the ambush, Sigbert wonders if the ambushers might have had a lookout positioned down the road. Maybe such an area is unlikely to have been disturbed by Sir Harolds men. He uses his survival skill to try and identify any possible lookout areas, trusting in Talan to be able to make something off the confusing mess of tracks.

survival roll to identify lookout areas if any 1d20+9

Sky Pilot
2010-02-12, 04:05 PM
the roll becuase i stuffed the code....
to identify a possible lookout area[roll0]

Errandir
2010-02-12, 07:37 PM
Sandre, at the ambush scene

Sandre dismounts and secures his mount quickly as they reach the scene of the ambush. Realizing that Talan will do what can be done to decipher the signs left behind, Sandre mainly tries to stay out of the way and avoid obscuring any details, but he does follow the ranger around the area once, looking to see if his combat experience can help make any sense of the fight that took place.

After that, Sandre stands with his back to a nearby tree and takes a broader look around. The aftermath of battle is a familiar sight, and though his brow creases as he scans the area, he shows no other signs of discomfort. After a few seconds he reaches upward and a faint metallic rasp rings out as he draws his greatsword from its sheath. He lets the point fall to the ground, rests both hands on the pommel, and begins to wait for the trackers to finish. He doesn't truly believe the weapon will be necessary, but the ambush site has awakened familiar memories, and he feels better with steel in his hands.

Actions:
Search (aid another: Talan): [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Leush
2010-02-13, 10:07 AM
Myristail, at the scene of the crime

...Raises an eyebrow and looks in Father Sigbert's direction.

"Saint Mary's beard? That bad?" She asks with a touch of doubt.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-13, 06:59 PM
The Forest Road

Keeping his eyes open Penfield was quick to find several intact arrowheads that were not lodged in a tree or trampled underfoot. A quick tasting of the tips revealed no poison however. Next to him Myristail was helping on the search and pointed out an arrow that seemed more or less intact and still had it's fletching on it. Though no expert on it, Penfield knew that a master bowyer could tell a great deal from such a find.

As Penfield was examining the arrow, Talan quickly made sense out of the footprints. A particularly rough patch of ground revealed where the duke must have been where the duke had been slayn, whilst the sudden crossing of light ladies steps with a horse's tracks further away showed him where the dutchess had been taken as she had tried to flee the scene. This horse's tracks trailed of quickly into the woods to the east.

Meanwhile Sigbert trailed of into the woods in search of a look-out area. As he did so Sandre, who was not actively aiding in the search, and kept his eyed peeled spotted some movement behind the priest, as if something was watching him from the bushes. A twig snapped a moment later with both Talan and Penfield looking up at the sound.

OOC
How did Talan arrive at the +18 on track? Or does it already include the human bonus?

Sky Pilot
2010-02-13, 07:16 PM
Sigbert at the scene of the time

Sigbert turns slightly at Myristal's comment

Well Saint Mary's beard was the source of many miracles, so its night correct to say it was a bad thing. Of course Mary was known to say that the saints burdened some more than others, it ended her marriage and I believe there were some dark rumours about being kidnapped by carnies there for a while. Apparently it took some convincing for her to give up that life, not one of the churches finest moments I'm afraid.

But yes I prefer travelling on foot, besides the church is not likely to provide a horse to a travelling brother like myself. They did lend me a mule once when I was carrying news of the Archbishop of Umbleshire's death, nasty business that....

Sigbert continues to prattle on, the scene of violent death somewhat perturbing him and the talking aloud easing him somewhat.

Emlyn
2010-02-13, 07:57 PM
Talan smoothly draws his bow and knocks an arrow. He alerts Ash to the general location and she moves towards it. "Come out or I shoot."

Errandir
2010-02-13, 10:50 PM
Sandre, on the Forest Road

Hearing Talan's challenge, Sandre circles around the area where he saw movement to cover another angle, sword point coming up into a ready stance as he moves.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-14, 06:59 AM
On the Forest Road

As Talan layed an arrow on his bow and Sandre's sword was fast aproaching the cause of the rustling became clear. A boy of some twelve winters ran out from them and into the woods, carrying a bundle wrapped in cloth. Sigbert, who was close enought could see that the boys tattered clothes had crust of blood and stains of dirt upon them.

Sliver
2010-02-14, 10:37 AM
Penfield

Reacting quickly, Penfield shouts out "Boy, stop!" and starts running into the woods. Thinking about, Penfield quickly regrets his reactions, for it must have sounded quite threatening for the child. "Tell your beast to stay!" he shouts out at Talan.

Emlyn
2010-02-14, 12:30 PM
Seeing the boy break cover, Ash bolts after him. Talan here's Penfields remark but ignores it. Ash knows what to do and the boy won't be harmed. He returns his arrow to his sheath and heads in the direction Ash went. Be gentle Ash, the boy's terrified.

Ash quickly catches the boy and gets in front of him cutting off his escape. Ash does nothing else except move in front of the boy whichever way he turns. He waits for Penfield to show to manage the boy.

OOC: Ash's move is 50ft per round, 200ft while running

Leush
2010-02-14, 01:17 PM
Myristail at the scene of the crime.

As the commotion begins, Myristail freezes in place for a second, then gently transfers her weight to the balls of her feet and waits till the chaos passes. Until the wolf seems to go for the boy, then she seems to forget her patience...

"Talan! Are you insa... Oooh! I see..." Seeing the wolf circle around... Then she shakes her head at her apparent silliness and looks back to the horses.

An urchin, out here, all by himself... I wonder...

------------------------------------
OOC:Yes, I forgot to ask, or maybe you wrote it but I couldn't find it- are we making spot-listen checks or are you? In any case, Spot and Listen for anything else that might be coming...
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-14, 01:38 PM
The Forest Road

Ash was quick to overtake the boy who dropped the clothwrapped bundle as the beast aproached, turning and running in different directions like a trapped prey as the wolf flanked him. Talan realised that Ash's hunting instinct was close to taking over, but managed to restrain him. In a final desperate attempt to get away the boy ran into Penfield, attempting to knock over the man who provided a path unblocked by the wolf. Instead he tumbled and fell face forward onto the ground, with two paws preventing him from getting up...

OOC
You can make spot/listen checks as you desire and I will take them into consideration.

In most circumstances I will just use your modifiers, just like for diplomatic actions and look at circumstances to see how well you succeed. (some-one busy digging through dirt in search of tracks get's a different result than some-one who's actively standing look-out). Those who rolled will instead have situational modifiers (distance/distractions/ etc...) applied.

Errandir
2010-02-14, 03:18 PM

Sandre tense stance relaxes somewhat as Penfield blocks the boy's escape. As he walks over he drops his guard, but does not sheath the sword yet. After glancing around at the others, he shrugs, looks down, and says "What's your name, boy?"

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-14, 06:18 PM
The Forest Road

The boy merely whimpered as Sandre asked for his name, evidently the 5 feet high beast that had it's paws on him was scaring him to death. Ash however growled a bit at Sandre aproaching, as if protecting his prey from another predator.

Sliver
2010-02-15, 02:10 AM
Penfield

Penfield's voice is stern "Talan! Pull him off" he commands, but it is easily noticeable he will not attempt to do such a thing himself.

Emlyn
2010-02-15, 01:10 PM
Talan fixes Ash with a disapproving look. That was not what I meant by being gentle. Ash lets out quiet whine and steps off. Good boy. Now, what was that all about? You know better. Ash replies with thoughts of the typical human they had encountered, thieves and murders who had hidden in the woods. Ahh, well now you know better. We don't kill young humans, only the large ones that threaten. Ash sits down and wags his tail, happy that Talan understands and cleared his confusion .

Leush
2010-02-15, 05:42 PM
Myristail, at the Scene of the Crime

Having stood and watched most of the scene, not ready to take action and not sure what the chances of anything positive coming of her actions, and quite frankly, not wanting to end up like red riding hood, Myristail now walks up to the rest of the party, eyes cast down to the undergrowth, hiding her shame at being afraid of the big bad Ash as deeply and most thoroughly as possible. She crouches near the boy and studies his face with some concern before speaking.

"That was a really stupid thing to do." She admonishes gently and looks back into the boy's eyes with concern, continuing to speak softly. "You're safe now... But promise me you won't try to do that again."

She will continue drilling the boy with a concerned gaze until he breaks the silence.

OOC:
Diplomacy check if required. Does the boy appear injured, or in any way familiar?

Sky Pilot
2010-02-15, 11:07 PM
Sigbert on the Road

Taken by surprise by the boy and the ensuring pursuit, Sigbert makes his way to the small congregation, his face covered in a frown. He does not interrupt the others but examines the boy first. Having already noted the condition of the boys clothes, Sigbert examines him first for injuries and them examines the clothes more closely to see if they give any indication of where the boy is from. He looks at the boys hands and hair, for the same reasons. He also examines the blood to see if he can tell how old it is.

After finishing his examination he turns to Talan

Would you ask your good friend to check the area for others please? The boy may not be alone and until we are sure of who we are up against it would be unwise for us not to take precautions.

Looking at Ash

Having demonstrated such fine skills on the hunt, I do not think we could ask for a better lookout

Emlyn
2010-02-16, 01:01 AM
Talan, besides Sigbert

Ash lets out another happy bark and heads off into the woods. Talan moves beside Sigbert and comments, "You are different. Few people would appreciate such a magnificent creature. It seems the church has changed during these long years."

Sliver
2010-02-16, 01:30 AM
Penfield, look, his right there!

Penfield looks at Myristail and the boy while speaking to Talan "I don't think it is a good idea. Most people will run away when chased by a wolf, so that is a bad starting point if we will try to approach anyone in a friendly matter. Then, there is the fact that your pet has almost lost control here, and if you won't be there if the wolf finds someone else.."

Emlyn
2010-02-16, 02:35 AM
Talan meets Penfield with a level stare. "First, Ash chased the boy only because he ran and I asked him to. Second, Ash would not have hurt him unless I ordered it. We've been together for nine years, we understand each-other. Finally, I'm always linked with him. Right now." He pauses and concentrates. "Ash has found a fresh set of deer tracks and found a rabbit burrow. If he lost himself, I can still reign him in. But you give him little credit, he was merely excited. You do not want to see him angry."

Sliver
2010-02-16, 02:38 AM
"I hope you are right.. We don't want anyone to get sloppy and disappoint his master."

Errandir
2010-02-16, 09:41 AM

As the others talk, Sandre walks over to where the boy had been standing and picks up the cloth-wrapped bundle lying on the ground. He examines it curiously but does not unwrap it yet. Instead, he slides his sword into its sheath, walks back over to the rest of the party, and waits silently for the boy to recover.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-17, 05:02 AM
The Forest Road

The boy calmed down somewhat as Myristail showed her motherly side and she couldsee a few tears roll down his cheeks as he clamped her tightly. Meanwhile Sigbert examined the blood, but could only make out that it was mixed with dirt from the ground and did not come from any wounds the boy had. Beyond that the boy did have some minor cuts and bruises, but nothing that couldn't have been caused by parental dicipline.

After a short while he finally adresses the bard. "I'm sorry." is all he managed to mutter at first, but after a short while of listening to broken sentences and half words Myristail managed to assemble the pieces and make out that that he'd been scavenging the site of the battle for scraps of metal to sell for food.

As the boy explained Sandre recovered the bundle, which seemed to confirm the boys story. Numerous arrow heads, some with half shafts in them, a few spurs and even the tip of a spear were in the bundle amongst chinks of scale and chain. One item amongst the scrap metal was very different though: A finely balanced dagger, somewhat chipped by the battle, with a hilt that was decorated by silver serpents slithering along it.

Leush
2010-02-17, 08:23 PM
Myristail, at the scene of the crime:

It is a matter of instinct to give the urchin a gentle pat on the back as begins to regain his composure.

"Be brave... It's okay..." She smiles sadly. "Treasure hunting... Why ever did you chose such a risky way to earn your grub..." The piper shook her head. There are easier ways to feed oneself in the woods... She thought and seemed to lose herself in memory for a second and questions began to surface in her mind.

"Lets get you back on your feet, little treaure hunter..." She encourages gently. "Come, be brave for a little longer."

Sky Pilot
2010-02-18, 03:52 AM
Sigbert on the Road

Deciding to hold his piece for the while, Sigbert turns to look at the bundle Sandre is carrying. He is unsure about the snake dagger, entwined serpents sometimes referred to medicine or healing saints but the symbology is not clear. He shrugs, not being much use in the current situation.

He turns to the boy slowly and puts his hand on his head.

Saint Justine's blessings young one

OOC
Cast cure minor wounds on the boy

He winks to the boy

Be nice to the lady now

He turns back to Sandre, Penfield and Talan.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-18, 08:04 AM
On the Forest Road

Some of the boys minor cuts and bruises cleared away as the priest layed on his hands in name of St. Justine the mercyfull. The boy looked thankfull at this and combined with Myristails gentle words he seemed to recover a smile on his face and stand up. He looked pleadingly from Myristail to the scraps of metal.

In Sigberts initial view of the dagger he realised no direct religious significance, however in his travels he did have acces to many historical accounts collected by the monestaries. Somehow he recalled the immage appearing in a tome at the Monestary of St. Flavius that lay just beyond the border of the kingdom.

(OOC)
Your knowledge history kicked in, though the result wasn't good enough to get a direct answer.

Also if you want Sigbert can take knowledge geography as a background class skill. Just figured it'd make sense.

Sliver
2010-02-18, 08:07 AM
Penfield glances shortly at the dagger, considering travel to town to attempt to gather information.

[roll0]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-18, 08:09 AM
On the Forest Road

Penfield recognised the excellent craftsmanship of the dagger. If it had been locally forged it would have come from the master of the smithguild in Herinford, the nearest town to the ducal court. Only a wealthy man could have afforded something like this, and it's absence must have been noticed by now.

Errandir
2010-02-18, 08:10 AM
Sandre, at the forest road

Sandre frowns, shifting from foot to foot as he thinks. Like as not the boy is no more than he seems, but there is always the possibility. He turns to the boy again. "How did you find this spot?" he asks. "Simply rumor? Or did someone tell you of it?"

Carefully, he unwraps the bundle and examines the contents, especially the ornamented dagger. He holds it up for the rest of the group to see, adding, "And do you remember where you found this dagger?" He points toward the ambush site, indicating that he wants to know exactly where it fell.

I'm not sure which checks are necessary, so you can use whichever ones apply. The search is for examining the bundle, knowledge for identifying any marks on the dagger, and sense motive for the boy's answers.

Search: [roll0]
Knowledge (nobility and royalty): [roll1]
Sense Motive: [roll2]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-18, 08:16 AM
On the Forest Road

The boy looked very frightened when Sandre adressed him and stepped close to Myristail. "everyone knows...father told me" he squeeks timidly. Asked about the dagger the boy pointed just off the road, barely extending his arm. Talan recognised it was along the path where the dutchess had been carried off.

Taking a second look at the dagger Sandre recognised the daggers slithering snakes as a symbol belonging to foreign nobility, but he couldn't place the house or identify any significant meaning.

Emlyn
2010-02-18, 12:01 PM
"Show me exactly where you found it." Talan asks the boy. Did it come from the Dutchess? If so, was there a struggle? Either way, we need to move soon. Time is not something we have a lot of.

Sliver
2010-02-18, 12:07 PM
"His father told him of the place. He found abandoned and claimed it to sell. Calm down. He didn't see who it belonged too. There is a smithguild in Herinford, their master is the only one I can think of that could create something like that. If one of the attackers dropped it, the master of the smith guild might help us."

Emlyn
2010-02-18, 12:33 PM
Talan lets out a frustrated sigh. "I want him to show me the location so I can survey the area. Over there," he points in the general area the boy mentioned, "Is where the Duchess tracks lead. Finding the dagger implies someone either dropped it or there was some sort of struggle. Now let me do my job."

Leush
2010-02-18, 07:12 PM
Myristail, at the scene of the crime:

Myristail puts a reassuring hand on the boy's shoulder as he backs away from the warrior.

"Come, show them," She whispers. "You have nothing, and no one to fear here..." She pauses. "And it'd mean a lot to us."

Then she notes the talk of the dagger and the dutches and lowers her head, nodding just a little- knowing the impications of the find before being distracted by Talan's and Penfield's little debate.

"Could I see that dagger?" She asks, keeping a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder. With that she begins to withdraw within herself a little.

OOC:
Knowledge blitz vs the dagger! Bardic [roll0], History, [roll1], Arcana [roll2], Religion [roll3], Local [roll4], Geography [roll5] and anything else that may be relevant (+2).

Sky Pilot
2010-02-19, 04:47 AM
Sigbert on the Road

Turning to the group he shares his knowledge, what it is. Noticing the boys looks he turns to the scarred soldier.

Sandre if we don't need the metal, let the boy take them home. I think we have enough clues. We should keep the dagger, are we able to compensate the young man at all?

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-19, 07:40 AM
On the Forest Road

Taking Myristail by the hand the boy lead the group to the place he claimed to have found the dagger. "It was lying somewhere here" he explained looking hopefull as he heard Sigbert speak of compensation. Talan could make out little from the relatively vague description, thought the area was definately along the path he believed Dutchess abductors had taken.

As the boy showed them where he found the dagger Myristail got a chance to examine the object. Despite her broad knowledge she could barely tell anything about the object. It certainly felt like it belonged in the hands of a noble to her, but she couldn't think of a house that would use snakes as its symbol. The only thing she could recall was a story about a Lancewood general during the crown wars two hundred years ago that was said to carry an Asp with him at all times. Though highly succesfull, he was cast down by his own peers for his dishonorable tactics. His tale is used by house Lancewood to warn their childern about dishonoring their house.

Emlyn
2010-02-19, 08:01 AM
Better then nothing. Talan leaves the group and begins to search the ground to see if it will reveal what happened over here.

Search:[roll0]
Survival: [roll1]
+4 to each if human's involved.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-19, 09:02 AM
On the Forest Road

Knowing what to look for Talan found an inprint of where the dagger could have fallen. Judging by the depth it was likely held at shoulder height when dropped, as if it'd been knocked out of some-one's hand in the struggle. Footprints and blood spattered around the site indicated some degree of struggle occured.

Emlyn
2010-02-19, 12:38 PM
"Finish with the boy, we're leaving." Talan announces. "That dagger was the Duchess and she lost it here in a struggle. Hopefully the blood here isn't hers." Pointing off towards the east he continues, "The tracks lead to the east, the sooner we leave the better."

Leush
2010-02-19, 02:03 PM
Myristail, at the Scene of the crime.

The minstrel twiddles the dagger, looking at it from this side and that, very much as if mesmerised. "You make a little too much sense, you know..." She whispers to it.

"And the sooner the better." She echoes Talan distantly, very much narrating as she looks at the symbol of the serpent. "The time has almost come to rescue a lady in distress..."

"Tell me, my little urchin," Her face lights up a little as she turns to the boy- whilst her voice is still gentle it carries distinctly more energy. "Have you or anyone you know of managed to find and sell any other little piece of treasure from this here tragedy?"

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-22, 02:33 AM
On the Forest Road

"If the others find something they won't tell me" the boy replied. "adzn crwns" the boy said suddenly, barely audible, then again somewhat louder "a dozen crowns for the knife". His eyes gleamed somewhat at the fortune he asked for, nervously trying to look fierce. His shock was over.

Towards the east tracks were leading in the distance, though firmly embedded Talan recognised that with a single rainstorm the tracks would be almost gone, leaving them with only broken twigs to to follow.

Sliver
2010-02-22, 02:39 AM
Penfield smiles and bends by the child "Boy, let me teach you something. This dagger, any merchant worthy of the title will recognize and know that you didn't get it by any legit means, and it will get you into trouble. To sell these stuff, you need to be connected with some shadier people, and they are as likely to stab you as pay you. More likely to stab you, in your case." but Penfield doesn't mention anything about paying, due to not carrying many ducats himself.

Sky Pilot
2010-02-22, 06:47 AM
Sigbert on the Road

Looking at the others, but noone appears to be overflowing with gold he turns back to the boy.

A dozen crowns I do not have my lad so I'll offer this to you instead.

He takes the bundle of metal scraps from Sandre and hands them back to the boy. He stands in front of the boy and places a hand on his head and raises his quarterstaff to the sky.

I see Saint Esme's light hand follow the thread and mend the stitches,
Close the holes and colour the thread on this young mans head.
I hear Saint Roger straighten the willow and tighten the sinew,
Pluck the goose feathers and oil the wicked heads
I feel Saint Milos breath moisten the leather and shine it new,
Seal the hole and make it anew.

OOC
Casting Make Whole on the boys possessions. The idea being to repair enough of his gear and salvaged items so he can leave happy and have a decent enough haul to make some money. The spell indicates one object so if I cannot repair the bundle I'll go for the most expensive item he can resell

I know its not a dozen crowns but it should bring you and your folk some food in lad. I am Sigbert of Lancre, I will be on these roads again and if you tell me your name I will look in on you again to make good on your deal.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-22, 08:11 AM
On the Forest Road

The boy looked perplexed as the priest blessed the things he had salvaged. Broken rings of mail closed, the blunted arrowheads once more had sharpened tips and the spurs were gleaming as if they had just been polished. Even the cloth wrapped around it once again was good as new. "I'm tom" he whispered in awe to Sigbert and then left, carrying his bundle and taking Penfields words to heart.

Glancing back a few times to ensure the wolf wasn't following the boy disappeared into the woods. The group now had to decide where to go: Follow the tracks, gather information on the arrows, look into the symbolism of the dagger or find another path to help them on their quest.

OOC
Sure, make whole can work like that. Basically feel free to freeform spells a little bit. Afterall I will do the same with detection and alignment spells and such.

Other than that it's up to you guys to decide where to go. Remember the above IC bit is just a suggestion based on what the various characters seem to be thinking so far.

+300 XP to all for RP-ing the forest encounter.

Emlyn
2010-02-22, 08:42 AM
While the interactions with the boy continued

As the entirely unnecessary proceedings with the boy continues, Talan's impatience grows. Do none of them realize that the boy is not the priority? The weather has been good so far but he has learned never to take chance's . He walks a short distance away from the group and begins to chant softly.

Sun's warm rays
Moon's bright beams
Howling storm
To gentle breeze
Tree's and grass
Sway and breath
I ask you now
To please guide me

As he chant's all the distractions around him fade away. Now it is just him and nature and he is free to listen to what she has to say. The clouds and breeze whisper of what is to come and years of experience have taught him to understand.

Survival:[roll0]
To predict weather.

He now knows the weather for the next three days. :smallsmile:

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-22, 12:52 PM
OOC (Talan)
It's been hot and dry all week, but some mild clouds have been gathering today. You expect a lightningstorm could strike up tonight or tomorrow evening if clouds continue to come. Considering the season you expect the precipitation to last at least two days. (so basically heavy rain and lightning tonight and tomorrow, or tomorrow and the day after; but in the evening. Clear on the other day)

Emlyn
2010-02-22, 01:13 PM
The wind is restless and carries the faint trace of rain. Knowing this area that bodes ill for them. He abruptly turns back towards his companions and says curtly, "We are going now. At the earliest it will rain by evening and will likely last for several days. Now if you wish to find your Duchess then I suggest we go."

Time to go. Rain will come tonight and we need to get moving. he tells Ash. He acknowledges Talan and makes his way to join him.

Sliver
2010-02-22, 01:33 PM
"If it is going to rain, we should follow the tracks then.. We have some other leads but they won't vanish after they rain.." Penfield thinks loudly and motions at the ground "Lead away" He tells Talan.

Emlyn
2010-02-22, 02:54 PM
Talan does nothing to acknowldge Penfileds response but turn and begin to follow the trail. Ash takes point and scouts out in front of the group. Knowing the weather he risks missing some details to move at his full speed. But the risk is small as his many years of experience make it unlikley for him to miss such an obvious trail.

Moving at full speed -5 to check (added)
+4 to check if humans invovled.
Track: [roll0]

Basicly Talan will move as fast as possible while still following the trail.

Leush
2010-02-22, 03:06 PM
Myristail, wherever they're going.

Looks from the boy to the priest, smiling and shaking her head.

Man strives to gain that which he lacks, every pauper craves gold- he will turn his nose at good advise- he will fall for illusions and false comforts that I can give... But miracles are truly the rarest of treasures. She contemplates. Perhaps the best reward and lesson the boy could hope for.

As the others prepare to move, she will turn and nod. Then seeing the woodsman take off suddenly glances back and calls out to him, motioning to the horses. "Haste'n all, but aren't we forgetting something?"

Emlyn
2010-02-22, 03:17 PM
Without turning back he replies "You try tracking from a horse." and keeps going.

Sky Pilot
2010-02-22, 03:17 PM
Sigbert on the road

Hears Myristails words as he prepares to mount his horse. He mutters under his breath.

Yes that we are getting on these horses again far too quick for my poor rears liking

He mounts preparing to head after Talan and the others.

What have we forgotten good lady?

Sliver
2010-02-22, 03:18 PM
Taking out some rope out of his saddle bags, Penfield ties Talan's horse to his and mounts up, ready to follow.

Emlyn
2010-02-22, 03:25 PM
Talan pauses for a minute as a thought strikes him. He'd almost forgotten that nature would allow him to move faster, he so rarely used it's power. Despite this the words come easily as he begins to chant.

In forest, dale, hill and plain
I swiftly go to seek my prey
Spirit of this bountiful wood
By your grace, speed me on my way

Outwordly there is no change but inside Talan feels the wild spark of nature imbeding itself in his limbs. He sets off at an increased pace, eager to finish his task and return to his home among nature.

Cast Longstrider +10 ft movemnet speed.

Instead I'll take 10 on all my track checks as I need to make them every hour. Also for the first 3 hours I can move at 4 mph, after that it's at 3 mph.

Leush
2010-02-22, 03:47 PM
Myristail on the Road

"One day, woodsman, one day..." She whispers.

Then Myristail narrow her eyes at the priest and chuckles, directing her mount to follow the others. "Not that the Arburns'll want their horses back apparently. How much more punishing a ride through a forest thicket is than one along well trodden road perhaps?"

Sliver
2010-02-22, 03:52 PM
"I can assure you that we won't take lose of any more household members as lightly as you think" Penfield speaks blankly, he doesn't seem to be quite focused on his immediate surrounding.

Errandir
2010-02-22, 05:21 PM
Sandre on the Road

Sandre mounts his horse calmly and follows the others forward. For the moment, he has little to contribute, so he stays behind and scans his surroundings as he rides. I'm not much for this detective work, he reflects, rubbing his bearded chin ruefully. But like enough we'll need my sword sooner than we'd wish. Unless I miss my guess, there is something more to this than than the usual intriguing of noble houses. Shaking his head, he rides on.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-23, 07:39 AM
Into the Forest

Though the forest proved Dense, the path Talan followed flowed naturally along the trees. In some places the broken branches were evident all, removed to clear the way for a horse in single file. In other places more than two or more could walk side by side. Whomever had taken this path before them would have had good knowledge of the terrain, for it seemed to use the countours of the land and forest.

Eventually the group looked down into a shallow valley just below them. By now the sun had long since passed it's zenith and now was little more than a wavery orange orb. Amids the shaded trees they could make out a forest cabin and the remnants of trees felled around it. More importantly however they noted a few patches of scorched earth near it and ground trampled under foot and hoof.

Emlyn
2010-02-23, 07:48 AM
Talan motions for the group to stop and to remain hidden. While surveying the scene he says, "You may wish to join me Penfield."Without waiting for a replay he slips quietly up to the cabin and peeks into a window to see what's inside.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Errandir
2010-02-23, 06:25 PM
Sandre, in the Forest

While Talan and Penfield slip off to examine the cabin, Sandre secures the horses. He then makes sure that he and the others are out of sight in the edge of the forest, determining to stand watch until the two trackers return.

Leush
2010-02-23, 07:11 PM
Myristail, in the Woods

Looks at the sky, inhales deeply and dismounts gingerly as she exhales. Something about this place makes her just a little nervous but she does her best not to show it. She once again ties the reins and fixes the horse with a stern look before doing anything else.

She wraps her cloak tightly around her and approaching a nearby tree trunk whispers something and puts herself against a nearby tree trunk, pulling herself against it as much as possible. Then she goes quiet and listens to the familiar sounds of the forest around her.

A waif can run away, but a good home will always find the stray. The thought flashes through her head and she becomes even quieter.

OOC:
Listen: [roll0], Hide [roll1]

Sky Pilot
2010-02-23, 11:20 PM
Sigbert in the Woods

He dismounts as quietly as he can and waits with Sandre. He is sore and tired but awaits the trackers return with the patience of soming looking forward to a warm fire at the end of the day.

Sliver
2010-02-24, 02:18 AM
Penfield slides quietly down the horse and moves towards the cabin, behind Talan, examining the scene more then the cabin itself.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-02-25, 05:39 AM
Approaching the Cabin

Penfield and Talan quietly made their way over to the cabin. As they left the trail down into the clearing, the signs of human and horse passage became ever clearer. Holes in the ground indicating tents and small firepits could be seen with ease. Yet as they approached the cabin the area was unnervingly quiet. The sounds of nature behind them continued as normal, yet the cabin was completely tranquil and no light or signs of a fire could be seen inside.

Soon they were close enough to the cabin to peer through cracks in the shutters that covered the windows. The interior of the cabin was dark and from the feint shapes they could make out only very plain furniture. Barely more than what a peasant could afford. Still it was relatively clean and looked like it had only been abandoned a day ago.

On the Forest Trail

As Penfield and Talan left them the others watched from a distance as their companions crept closer to the cabin. The forest was quiet around them, though a few birds songs comforted the travellers. Sandre, alert as ever, suddenly heard other noises only about a dozen metres from the path. By now Talan and Penfield had disappeared near the cabin, moving around it to find a window, yet the snorting noises did seem to come nearer. As he listened he noticed that Myristail who was nearest seemed to remain in blissfull ignorance of the noise.

Emlyn
2010-02-28, 12:11 PM
Talan whisper's to Penfield, "It looks abandon. Shall we enter or get the others?"

Sliver
2010-02-28, 12:17 PM
Penfield considers "Lets examine more closely first". Penfield attempts to open the window and shutters.

Errandir
2010-02-28, 02:33 PM
Sandre, in the Forest

Sandre frowns and motions to Mryistail and Sigbert to be as silent as possible. He then edges closer to the path, trying to determine if the source of the noise is human or animal, or if his senses are just playing tricks on him. He flattens himself against a tree, trying to find a position where he can remain unseen but with a good view of the path.

Again, not sure what checks you'll need, so I'll just make them all.

Hide: [roll0]
Move silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll]1d20+2[roll]
Listen: [roll2]

EDIT: I fixed the spot roll in the OOC thread.

Sky Pilot
2010-02-28, 03:36 PM
Sigbert in the Forest

At Sandre's words, Sigbert remains silent, gripping his quarterstaff quietly.

Leush
2010-03-01, 05:29 PM
Myristail, in the Woods.

Distracted from her thoughts, she squints at Sandre's manoeuvres and gestures and holding her breath, presses herself closer to the tree, peeling her head away just far enough to peer around and glance into the woods.

OOC:
Heh, can't hide from something with a nose. Spot: [roll0]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-03-02, 04:46 AM
Near the Cabin

Behind the shutters the empty room reveals itself as the last rays of sunlight creep inside. A large, low bed without sheeting with some traces of the hay that once filled it remaining, a chair and table make up the spartan quarters. Some herbs can be seen hanging from the thatched roof and the firepit seems like it has been in recent use with some black encrusted pieces of wood inside it.

In the woods

As Sandre motions for silence the noises become clear to all. The grunting seems stationary however and is intermixed with some digging. Whatever the source, it seems like it is busy and not paying too much attention to the travellers nearby. Though unfamiliar with it's exact origins, Sandre is reminded of the noises a feeding pig would make.

Emlyn
2010-03-02, 01:07 PM
By the Cabin
Notcing it's apparnt emptiness Talan says, "Might as well go in." Drawing his longsword Talan slips around the the door and enters the cabin.

In the woods
Ash's ears perk up at the interesting sound. He sniffs the air and catches the faint smell of pig. He sliently moves off towards his new found prey.

Survival (track) [roll2]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-03-03, 05:35 AM
The Cabin

Entering the Cabin Talan found the door creaking slightly, but opening with ease. The inside was still dark revealing little more than was seen from the window. The squeecking of a small rodent that scattered away as he entered revealed several crumbs of a recent meal to the ranger. Whomever lived here had only abandoned it recently, for the larder seemed empty except for some basic herbs.

The Woods

As Sandre and the others stood silent, the wolf moved into the woods in search of the noises. Mere moments later growling was mixed with the squeeling of boars and sounds of several large boars charging the large wolf that yelped in pain.

OOC:
If anything Ash would not recognise the smell of pig, but rather wild boar. He's been charged by several boars upon tracking around. He's been wounded by the attack (9 damage), biting back he was unable to piece the boars skin.

Roll for initiative.

Leush
2010-03-03, 08:42 PM
Myristail, in the Woods.

The minstrel closes her eyes for a moment, then opens them, an irritation welling up inside her. She takes her bow from somewhere within the cloak as she moves to put Sandre between herself and the commotion and turning back to face the noise tries desperately to line up a shot.

"The life of a wolf mightn't be worth one of ours... Then again, we need his nose... And as you sow, you shall reap!... Talan, you might want to get out here!" She announces.

OOC: Initiative: [roll0], Move action: Take out bow and move to diagonally behind Sandre. Standard Action. Inspire Courage +1 (Perform: Oratory).

Emlyn
2010-03-04, 12:14 PM
Ash lets out a yelp as the boars charge unexpectedly. Brushing off the pain he lunges at the nearest boar trying to sink his teeth into its neck and bring it down.

Initiative: 20
Attack nearest boar: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Trip as free action: [roll2] As noted by Sliver
Strength check: [roll3]

OOC: The boars actually managed to clear his 18 AC? Stupid boars. Also how many boars are there?

Sky Pilot
2010-03-05, 05:12 AM
Sigbert in the Woods

Sigbert is startled as the boars break the peace. He knows boars to be fearsome beasts, often known to gore hunters to death. Seeing the wolf grapple with the animals, he realizes that his far less armed than the best hunter but decides he had better come to its aid rather than see the creature tusked to pieces. Assuming that Sandre will not be far away he charges at a boar with his quarterstaff attempting to bring down a single hard blow on the boar the Ash is wrangling with.

OOC:

Init: [roll0]
Attack (Charging at boar with single attack from quarterstaff): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

If Sigbert can't charge, deduct two from his attack roll

Errandir
2010-03-05, 09:05 PM
Sandre, in the Woods
HP: 59 --- AC: 16

Sandre sighs as the other members of the party run towards the sounds of fighting. No doubt the wolf could have taken care of itself, he reflects wryly, but I'm not so sure about the bard or the friar. Drawing his sword, he starts forward, albeit reluctantly, toward the sound of the conflict.

Upon seeing the wild boars, he angles his greatsword in front of him in a two-handed grip, made cautious by his unwonted lack of armour. As he advances, he calls to the monk. "Brother... uh, Sigmund... do you know how to handle yourself in a fight? Cover my flank, if you can, and I'll do the same for you."

Are we even close enough to attack? I wasn't sure, because I think my spot check was never good enough to see anything - I only heard the boars from further away.

Anyway, here are some attack rolls for if we're already at the battle. If not, Sandre will just move.

Initiative: [roll0]
First Attack:[roll1]
Second Attack:[roll2]
First Attack Damage:[roll3]
Second Attack Damage:[roll4]

EDIT: Never mind, I just realized I need a full round action to be able to take both attacks (I've never played such a high level character before, so I'll apologize in advance for any mistakes). Ignore the second pair of those, then.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-03-08, 05:25 AM
The Woods

The wolf was hurt as two pairs of boars tusks slashed into it. Growling and biting back it easily pierced a boars flesh, only further infutiating the boar as the bite caused it to slip onto it's side into the mud.

Sandre was the first to see what was happening as he hurried after the wolf into the woods, bostered by the words of Myristail. Four sizable boars were upon the wolf, goring Ash with their teeth, and a fifth was charging out of the undergrowth. Fortunatly his blade was ready and struck the charging animal leading the boar to fail in it's charge.

Sigbert followed soon after, made no mistakes, and struck the boar that tried to sink it's tusks into Sandre. The blow did little to stop the assailing beast, that only seemed to struggle harder.

As they fought the boar both Sigbert and Sandre could see the boars were busy digging something up nearby, but couldn't quite make out what it is.

The Cabin

As they were looking around in the cabin Penfield and Talan were suddenly arroused by Myristails voice resounding in the distance. After this alert it did not take them long to notice the feint sounds of struggle in the woods.

OOC

For Sandre, don't forget to use the full attack bonus +11 and add +1 for the bards song. For sigbert, bards song and 2-handed both add +1 damage.

Myristail can't see the combat actually, as this is happening further in the woods.

Ash: 9+5+7=21 damage in total (for all turns); and feeling overwhelmed probably.

Boar 1: 6
Boar 5: 12+9 = 21

Talan and Penfield can reach the site of the battle on the second turn if they run there (thus being able to attack on the 2nd turn*). This will cause them to reveal themselves.

*Essentially I'm assuming that you can start running on the same turn hat you heard myristail, which is turn 0 for this purpose, but can count as movement.

Sky Pilot
2010-03-08, 06:21 AM
Having smote the boar a good strike, he nods to Sandres words and takes a step back to cover Sandres left flank. A hard grin settles on his face as continues to strike the boar with double handed strokes, he remains silent focusing on the melee.

I'm guessing that I have flank on the boar that is attacking Sandre, if Sandre finishes it off this turn Sigbert will strike the next closest boar. If this happens remove 2 from the attack roll.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Sky Pilot
2010-03-08, 06:24 AM
The attack roll should only be +7 with the flank so remove 2 to 21, sorry bad maths...

Emlyn
2010-03-08, 11:21 AM
Ash
AC: 18 Hp: 3

Surprised and overwhelmed by the number of boars Ash has no choice but to fall back. He skillfully dodges away from the boars and runs towards Talan.

Full Round Action: Withdraw: 100 ft towards Talan.

Talan
AC: 18 Hp: 28

Before Myristails voice reaches him Talan feels Ash's pain as the boar gores him. He takes off running towards the combat. Once he gets close enough he fires at the boar the two boars that have already been wounded.

Move: Within 30ft of the boars
Standard: Greater Manyshot
[roll0] vs. Boar 1
[roll1]
[roll2] vs. Boar 5
[roll3]

Wizard of the Coat
2010-03-08, 01:08 PM
@Talan/OOC
I'm sorry, but there is no empathic link with an animal companion to my knowledge. Talan wouldn't have been able to feel it.

Emlyn
2010-03-08, 01:14 PM

Huh, what do you. I guess "link" is just a link. That being said I'm really only using it for flavor purposes and not mechanical. But I won't if you want.

Wizard of the Coat
2010-03-08, 04:52 PM
OOC
Flavor wise it's the wrong direction for a low magic setting. Talan might feel he's empathically linked, but the link is more like intuition and relies on body signals and such (as far as I understand from the description). Still I wouldn't be opposed to Talan develloping a stronger link during the campaign or if it really breaks the character concept I'm willing to say it's already somewhat stronger than normal.

Leush
2010-03-08, 06:25 PM
Myristail, in the Woods,
HP: 13, AC: 14

The minstrel edges around behind the priest and warrior, treading carefully through the undergrowth, trying to better see what on earth is going on and get off a shot....

OOC:
If it is possible to move into a position where Myristail can see what is going on and get a clear shot (without shooting into melee), Myristail will do;
[roll0]
[roll1]
Otherwise something else, just say if Myristail can't see after taking a move action.

Emlyn
2010-03-08, 07:04 PM
OOC:

After rereading my post it's pretty obvious to me that I shouldn't have used the word pain, rather a general sense that Ash was in trouble. That's what I was going for when I wrote it. Of course what I actually wrote didn't reflect that. :smallfrown:

Sliver
2010-03-09, 12:44 AM
Penfield feels the effect of the minstrel's music and leaps out the cabin, only to start creeping towards the noises of battle.

[roll0]
[roll1]

movement at half speed, penalties included from movement, not included any penalties they would have from being in battle and distracted...

Wizard of the Coat
2010-03-09, 02:48 PM
The Forest

Tail between his legs and desiring to lick his wounds Ash rushed towards his master, the tripped boar getting up swiftly and followed him, the others turned their attention to the two humans that were a more immediate threat to the herd. Especially after Myristails arrow had managed to hit one of them.

It took two more fierce blows from Sandre to bring down the original boar that was attacking him, which almost gored him during the struggle. The priest meanwhile had other trouble as Ash's retreat had placed him in the path of a charging boar, which he narrowly managed to avoid and strike with his staff. Sandre himself was less lucky. The other two boars charged him and bored their tusks into his flesh.

As he rushed through the woods Talan could see his injured companion and the frenzied boar that was chasing him. One arrow released from his bow plunged into the animal, the other struck the soil. Penfield on the other hand was taking a more cautious approach and could only hear the snarling boar comming closer.

To speed up somewhat I rolled Sandre's first attack this turn, but used his second attack from the previous roll. Ihope it's not a problem.

Ash: 9+5+7=21 damage in total (still)
Sandre: 10 + 6 = 16 damage

Boar 1 (Ash): 6+9 = 15
Boar 2 (Sigbert): 7+4 =11
Boar 3 (Sandre)
Boar 4 (Sandre)
Boar 5: 12+9 = 21+13+12

The boar chasing Ash is within 90ft for Talan (who is 60ft from ash), but Penfield would have to move before being in sight of the animal.

Leush
2010-03-09, 06:45 PM
Myristail, in the Woods

Is perfectly aware of the ineffectiveness of her attack as soon as the arrow pierces the boar's hide, but with her unwillingness to end up on the wrong end of the boars' tusks and the belief in the straw-breaking-camel's-back principle, she nevertheless plucks another arrow from the quiver and pulls back on the bow, this time turning her attention to the boar chasing Ash.

OOC:
So, if she can get a (not-into-melee) shot at a boar, she will take it, otherwise, something else.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Emlyn
2010-03-09, 07:04 PM
Talan
AC: 18 Hp: 28

Talan continues his charge and fires two arrows into the charging boar. Keep going Ash, I've got you.

Greater Manyshot: Both against the charging boar
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Ash
AC: 18 HP: 3

Ash keeps running fully aware that the boar is chasing him but he knows Talan will protect him.

Move away from the charging boar: 50 ft.

Errandir
2010-03-11, 06:58 PM
Sandre, in the Woods
HP: 43 --- AC: 14

Sandre grits his teeth against the boar's charge and stands firm. He waits for an opportunity, then, handling his greatsword with a practiced ease, aims one quick blow at each of the two boars in reach.

Not sure if it's my turn yet, but use this when it is.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Oh, I forgot earlier, but I can use dodge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#dodge) against one of the boars, so that's +1 to AC.

And I took 16 damage, right?