PDA

View Full Version : Miniature tokens

Ichneumon
2010-02-07, 12:24 PM
I'm searching for a cheap variant of miniatures, tokens. I realise you can make quite decent miniature tokens yourself, but before I spend a lot of time creating them, I'd like to know if there are any tokens you can buy online somewhere and what people's experiences are with them.

So, I'm searching for tokens to replace monsters, NPCs and PC miniatures. Know any good company that manufactures something like that?

oxybe
2010-02-07, 12:28 PM
dunno about where to get them online, but i recommend downloading the token maker from my sig. it's a java app that's ridiculously easy to use: click & drag an image into it then zoom, position, crop & save.

for images i recommend google or the free SRD.

then you just need some sort of image manipulation program (like photoshop or the free GIMP, as found in my sig) to create a sheet with a bunch of copies, and maybe number them (you have 6 goblin tokens, numbered 1-6).

Overshee
2010-02-07, 12:31 PM
dunno about where to get them online, but i recommend downloading the token maker from my sig. it's a java app that's ridiculously easy to use: click & drag an image into it then zoom, position, crop & save.

for images i recommend google or the free SRD.

then you just need some sort of image manipulation program (like photoshop or the free GIMP, as found in my sig) to create a sheet with a bunch of copies, and maybe number them (you have 6 goblin tokens, numbered 1-6).

I second the RPTools Token Maker, all the RPTools stuff is pretty awesome.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-02-07, 12:31 PM
Cheapest, simplest and fastest way to do do it is to print out an array of character and monster pics on cardstock, each 1 inch square (or larger for larger creatures), and cut them out with a guillotine.

To get sophisticated about it, you could print them on sticky backed paper (label paper, you know the stuff?), and them stick them on mini bases (which are cheap as chips from your local or internet hobby stockists). This makes the tokens much easier to handle and less likely to blow away when someone sneezes.

Swordgleam
2010-02-07, 12:33 PM

I've been doing that for a while with the GIMP, and while it makes great tokens, it does take up time. Finding the images, scaling them down, printing them, cutting them out, attaching them to some kind of backing adds up when you have a lot of different enemies.

I'm going to start using bottlecaps to represent enemies. They're about the right size, and have cool pictures on them. We'll see how it goes.

oxybe
2010-02-07, 12:34 PM
I second the RPTools Token Maker, all the RPTools stuff is pretty awesome.

heck it even makes decent avatars, lol.

oxybe
2010-02-07, 12:39 PM
I've been doing that for a while with the GIMP, and while it makes great tokens, it does take up time. Finding the images, scaling them down, printing them, cutting them out, attaching them to some kind of backing adds up when you have a lot of different enemies.

that's why i recommend using the token maker tool first. it does all the cropping for you. GIMP's whole point is just to create a 8.5x11 inch sheet to print them out with.

i can see how attaching them to the backing could be a pain. i recommend some double-sided tape & 1-inch wooden disks you can find at most craft stores. maybe something heavier if you're afraid of them flying away.

Swordgleam
2010-02-07, 12:41 PM
i can see how attaching them to the backing could be a pain. i recommend some double-sided tape & 1-inch wooden disks you can find at most craft stores. maybe something heavier if you're afraid of them flying away.

I've been using putty and mini poker chips. It works pretty well. Double-sided tape might speed things up a little.