PDA

View Full Version : mercenary-mart

Fortinbras
2010-02-07, 09:08 PM
In the campaign I'm currently one I'm playing an aristocrat 1/warblade 2 in a greek themed city state. The othe party members are newly hired retainers for my noble family.

In moment of jerkieness my DM ruled that for some reason my family had almost no troops and barely anything else for that matter, just a mansion and a couple servants and a ship.

As part of the campaign we are going on an expedition overseas and I thought it would be appropriate to hire some soldiers. So, does anyone how hiring mercenaries worked historicly? I imagine you didn't just go down to mercenary-mart so how did it work?

holywhippet
2010-02-07, 09:16 PM
Methods to try:

a) Ask the DM if your character knows anyone who has hired mercenaries who you could ask for advice.
b) Ask around at the local government offices (whatever they may be). Chances are they have hired mercenaries in the past to bolster their ranks or perform specific tasks.
c) Head to the nearest tavern (well, avoid the really posh ones) and ask the bartender if they know who the contact for any mercenary bands are.

Keep in mind, your DM might have removed your access to troops for a reason - ie. so you don't have a freaking army at your back for the entire game. If you take mercenaries along they might:

a) Get seperated in a storm
b) Get shipwrecked.
c) Turn renegade.

Fortinbras
2010-02-07, 09:34 PM
I understand what your saying it just seems a little silly to be conducting a naval expedition with four people. That isn't even enough to crew the ship, let alone man a balistae and fight.

The Glyphstone
2010-02-07, 09:46 PM
By the tone of your original post, I get the impression you haven't talked to your DM at all. He's the one you need to ask, first to find out if you can hire crew/mercenaries at all. If not, find out why, and not confrontationally if you can. If so, find out how much they cost, and if it differs for non-combatant sailors versus trained warriors.

Vitruviansquid
2010-02-07, 09:46 PM
I would really just have some faith in the DM. He wouldn't have the party do something that would turn out to be impossible.

holywhippet
2010-02-07, 10:18 PM
I would really just have some faith in the DM. He wouldn't have the party do something that would turn out to be impossible.

Bwahahahahahaha. Tell that to my former DM who through a werewolf at a mostly level 2 party with only one magical weapon and one silver weapon.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-07, 10:32 PM
Bwahahahahahaha. Tell that to my former DM who through a werewolf at a mostly level 2 party with only one magical weapon and one silver weapon.

Similarly, in the Red Hand of Doom module when you see the hobgoblin army you are supposed to run like heck back to the nearest settlement and begin war planning.

avr
2010-02-07, 10:37 PM
Well - some historical mercenaries were the normal army lent out to reduce the cost of keeping them around. Talk to whatever power has an army nearby?

How good and law-abiding is your party? The press gang is a very old method of acquiring sailors. You'd still need a few goons to keep order, but not that many.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-07, 10:40 PM
Well - some historical mercenaries were the normal army lent out to reduce the cost of keeping them around. Talk to whatever power has an army nearby?

Ah, but according to Machiavelli one should use neither mercenaries (except in Eberron, where House Deneith usually ensures reliability) nor foreign levies. One should not use mercenaries, for their morale is poor, and even if they triumph they will have the power to sack your city/destroy your family. However, foreign levies are worse, for they will conquer you whether or not they succeed-their success or failure simply determines their duration of occupation.

Either are a bad idea.

Maybe you should hire some adventurers?

Vitruviansquid
2010-02-07, 10:53 PM
I mean that in the sense that there's a difference between the *DM* throwing you an insurmountable obstacle and a character or force in the campaign throwing you an insurmountable obstacle.

ryguysolis
2010-02-07, 11:03 PM

Did he throw the wearwolf at you or did you ignore signs of danger and seek out a fight with the wearwolf?

Please don't take offense, that's a personal attack aimed at on my previous group and not at you. They were always complaining I "put them up against" ridiculous challanges. I'm sorry old group, but if you walk your lvl 1 pc crypt with no silver weapons and the party wizard is an aspiring necromancer (ie should know better) it's on you.

To the OP: There are a myriad of ships that can be crewed by four or less. If you do get the ok from your DM for a crew, mind that they don't take your loot and maroon you on the return voyage.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-07, 11:06 PM
If the goal is simply to get from point A to point B, charter a schooner or other small vessel. If you need to have an army behind you at the other end, talk to your DM about acquiring it (maybe from the local government).

Beorn080
2010-02-07, 11:11 PM
Ah, but according to Machiavelli one should use neither mercenaries (except in Eberron, where House Deneith usually ensures reliability) nor foreign levies. One should not use mercenaries, for their morale is poor, and even if they triumph they will have the power to sack your city/destroy your family. However, foreign levies are worse, for they will conquer you whether or not they succeed-their success or failure simply determines their duration of occupation.

Either are a bad idea.

Maybe you should hire some adventurers?

Actually, in a naval context, mercenaries were extremely popular and useful. They acted as legal pirates, decimating the enemies trade and bringing in supplies at the same time. Granted, they weren't used to supplement national navies in fleet battles, but he isn't asking about that.

If he's looking for crew for his ship, hanging out in naval ports with promises of good wages should net you a fairly decent sized crew, but not perhaps officer material. Print up some flyers and setup recruiting stands. For those, you should head to the admiralty office or nearest equivalent and look for out of work captains and lieutenants and such. You should be able to convince a few to go with you.

Also, remember that you don't actually pay anyone until you pay out the ship. Yes, technically you have to give them their pay weekly, but for security's sake, its easier if you just hold onto it all. Giving them a couple of gold when you make port is traditional, and keeps morale very high. Now, if you manage to lead them on a successful suicide mission, and by success I mean them suiciding for your mission, then you don't even need to worry about paying them, just give your ship a new paint job and hire a new crew with your new found wealth.