PDA

View Full Version : The Incident in Thirsk <Survival Horror>

dresdor
2010-02-07, 10:01 PM
Finally some peace and safety. The door is barricaded behind you and barricaded with a molding chair. Looking around, only seven have survived from the group that set out a week ago. You are all disheveled and almost unrecognizable.

The house is a small affair, a simply one-room house with a single door and window. There is a fireplace on the wall opposite the door, and a bed against one wall. The remains of a table with its chair now blocking the door are the only other things in the room. The house looks deserted, but the few layers of cobwebs and thin layer of dust imply that it hasn't been that way for long. None of you know exaclty where you are, and only have a faint idea where Ripon is. So far there is only silence from outside. It seems you have lost the monsters for now.

Your situation is grim. You have little in the way of supplies, and are virtually left with the clothes on your back.

Marillion
2010-02-07, 10:40 PM
Dirk

Dirk sits huddled in the corner, clutching a saddle that had been painted green in broad, almost child-like strokes. He juts his tusks out at the room, almost as if he's daring someone to try and take it from him, but otherwise keeps quiet for now. It's not as though anyone would care what he thought anyway.

WarBrute
2010-02-07, 10:41 PM
Glyn Bernberg

The man named Glyn leaned against the back wall by the cold fireplace. He had a small knife in his left hand and he ran his fingers of his right hand over the blade. His normally calm ice blue eyes were bloodshot and dull. His lids were heavy, but he feared sleep. His eyes darted around the room at its occupants. So many were gone. Jaz, he knew of coarse, the local and friendly barman was still alive. And a young woman as well. He had seen her around the pub as well but her name seemed to escape him. A half-orc he had seen but never spoke too before the incident. The local sheriff was still with them, also a man younger than himself he had seen at the local smithy. Then there was an elf he had never seen before the escape was made.

He rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands. What were they going to do?

Woodsman
2010-02-07, 10:49 PM
Jonathan looked over the ragtag group with concern. They had found a hiding place, but how long could they hide? Only the gods knew.

What little fortifications they had wouldn't be enough. They were dangerously low on supplies and they had very little equipment. Jonathan's mind raced with ideas for what they could do to last.

What truly scared him was the fact he had no clue what the monsters really were. No one had seen them and lived. If the survivors knew what they were, they might know how to fight the beasts. If they knew how to fight, they could survive.

For now he just stood over the group, watching. They all needed rest.

dresdor
2010-02-07, 11:11 PM
A soft howling can be heard in the eaves of the house. The wind outside has picked up, adding to the gloomy mood. It is the end of summer and the night has just a hint of a chill. Inside with the seven of you it is comfortably warm.

OOC: Really I just wanted to post to say I have a feeling this is going to be great, just from the posts so far. You could cut the tension with a knife.

DrSalt
2010-02-07, 11:40 PM
V'eliash "Eli"

Eli sat huddled on the old bed, knees against his chest. The thing would probably end up giving him lice... but the momentary comfort was worth it. He looked around, trying to take stock of their situation. Only one of them had a real weapon...

"Fancy accommodations here" he mumbled, if for no other reason than to break the silence.

Eli grimaced at the sound of his own voice and pulled the flimsy remains of his cloak's hood over his head. He glanced at the remains of what was once a table. Worse came to worse he could use a leg as a makeshift club. He was no fighter, but he intended to go down swinging at least.

Strawberries
2010-02-08, 02:00 AM
Enthilza Woods

Enthilza started when she heard the howling, subconsciously bringing up a hand to stroke her mother’s amulet. She looked around. At least Jaz was still alive. A friendly, familiar face in this place. They were here, relatively safe for the moment, but would the door hold? None of them was a trained warrior. The sheriff, of course, knew how to fight at least a little bit, but she doubted would be enough against the monsters.

She set her mouth in a grim line, taking a step away from the wall she was leaning against. She was scared, as they all were, but she refused to be the defenseless woman who depended on the others for her safety. If the monsters came she would fight along with all the others.

EDIT ((OOC: can I make a spot check to look for some sort of weapon?))

dresdor
2010-02-08, 02:18 AM
Spot Check: [roll0]

The only thing you see is one of the least damaged legs of the table could be wielded as a club. Depending on how well it was pried away from the table would determine how easy it would be to wield.

Narazil
2010-02-08, 02:24 AM
Frank Harring

The blacksmith's son sits by himself in the furthermost corner away from the door. He is breathing slow and heavy, rocking softly back and forth. His eyes are closed.
What used to be puff blond curly hair is now darkened with dirt, the fine curls stuck to his face by the water from his sweating. His usual smile was gone, instead, Frank was simply biting down on his lower lip. He has several small cuts on his face.
His plain dark brown clothes are dirty. Really dirty. They stink of mud, blood and piss, the latter more so than the former.
He sits there, clutching his shins with his hands. Between his legs stands a blacksmith's hammer upside down. Though plain in design, it looks dense and heavy.

WarBrute
2010-02-08, 07:11 AM
Glyn

"A bit of an odd time to be complaining about accommodations" Glyn meant to sound annoyed with the elf but he merely sounded tired. He pushed himself off the wall. "Perhaps we can find something useful in this place. Anything is better than sitting still."

Search
[roll0]

Narazil
2010-02-08, 07:44 AM
Frank Harring

"Yea... Yea. Yea, we might find something. Good call, you. I'll help."

Frank gets up from the floor, leaving his hammer standing upside-down. He drags his feet around as he helps searching.

Search: [roll0]

dresdor
2010-02-08, 08:18 AM
You search through your sanctuary looking for anything useful. Unfortunately there's not much to search, but under the bed you find a jackpot. There is a small (1ft x 1 ft x 8 inches tall) padlocked chest and a sack with a dozen potatoes. The potatoes seem to be in good condition, and could probably be cooked and eaten if necessary.

After the searching is finished, Glyn thinks he hears something coming from outside. It sounds like a faint scratching coming from near the one window.

Narazil
2010-02-08, 08:49 AM
Frank Harring
Finding the chest, Frank makes a note of the quality of the lock. He walks over to the corner of the room, picks up his father's heavy hammer, and walks back to the chest.

If he is not stopped, he starts hammering the lock.

Full-round action to line a shot. Would be silly to miss the padlock.
[roll0] Damage done to it. Assuming it doesn't break, he keeps going until it does.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Marillion
2010-02-08, 01:13 PM
Dirk

Still holding the saddle to his chest, Dirk stands up, already drooling at the prospect of food. Unfortunately, he had no idea how to build a fire...He wipes his mouth and flicks the saliva away, and turns his attention towards the table. He may not have had the best oil in his lantern, but even he could see that a table leg was better than his fist, impressively large though it may have been. He set the saddle down in his corner and began trying to pry off a leg, growling a little with the exertion.

Strength check: [roll0]

WarBrute
2010-02-08, 01:16 PM
Glyn

Glyn is going over the potatoes when he hears the noise "Quite dammit!" He said in a loud whisper to the Frank. "I think.. I think I hear something outside" He ducks down next to the window. He flattens himself against the wall and tries to get a good look out of it while not being seen.

spot check out window
[roll0]

hide check
[roll1]

Dresdor you might want make an OOC thread.

DrSalt
2010-02-08, 02:21 PM
Eli

Obviously uncomfortable with the activity around his bedside perch Eli gets up and slinks behind Glyn. Closing his eyes to concentrate; he presses an ear against the wall.

Listen
[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-02-08, 03:08 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza notices what the half orc is trying to do "Good idea" she half mumbles, then, approaching the sheriff, who she sees as the one with most authority and experience

"Johnatan, we need some sort of weapon. If we are unarmed they’ll continue to pick us up one by one – can you help me severing the table’s legs without breaking them?" she keeps her voice low.

When she hears Glyn’s whisper she stiffens, hand darting again to her amulet, doing her best to listen for what could be outside

Listen check [roll0]

dresdor
2010-02-08, 03:18 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7847633#post7847633http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7847633#post7847633)

Glyn: After stopping the two noisy people in the room from making a racket, you look out the window. You don't hear anything more but you think you see a shadowy figure moving at the edge of your vision. The night is slightly foggy which makes things more difficult. It could just be a figment of your imagination and fear.

Eli: At first you hear nothing, but then you faintly hear something coming from the wall opposite the window. It sounds like cloth being dragged accross a rough surface, like the wood planks that make up the house.

Enthilza: You hear nothing but your own heavy, nervous breathing. When you touch the holy symbol, though, you feel a slight jolt, like the shock of static electricity. It could be static, but it could be something more.

OOC: I delayed Dirk and Frank's movements for the listen checks, if you want to brute on ahead breaking stuff just let me know.

Woodsman
2010-02-08, 03:19 PM
Jonathan nods, keeping his voice low as well. "Yes, I can try," he says, slowly drawing his sword.

He chops at the point where the leg meets the table, hoping to sever it cleanly in a couple of blows.

Attack(?):[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Attack(?):[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

WarBrute
2010-02-08, 04:28 PM
Glyn

Glyn's mouth fell open but he stayed silent. He tried to tell himself what he saw was not real, but after the last few days...

He ducked away from the window. "I don't think it is safe here anymore.."

Marillion
2010-02-08, 05:10 PM
Dirk

The half-orc snorts."As though we were safe here in the first place." Nonetheless scared by Glyn's words, he redoubled his efforts to break off a table leg, across from the leg sheriff John was working on.

Strength check again, if needed[roll0]

dresdor
2010-02-08, 05:30 PM
After some hacking, slashing, grunting, and breaking, the two legs that are being worked on break free. At the moment they are rough, and have a few nails sticking out of them at odd angles. With time and effort they could be fashioned into more rounded and less cumbersome clubs, but they will do in a pinch.

Both clubs are as clubs with the following exceptions: Damage: 1d8; Attack roll penalty of -1 due to the unbalanced nature of the weapon. Damage Type: 1/2 Piercing 1/2 Bludgeoning.

Tavar
2010-02-08, 08:02 PM
Jaz leans against a wall, breathing heavily. He never put much effort in speed, and trying to keep up with other, longer limbed folk just made it worse. Running his hand through his light brown hair, he looks over the other survivors. Jaz tries to look reassuring, but those who look would see his left hand fidgeting with a small ring, probably his wife's wedding band.

Looks like I'm the only small-folk to make it through that mad dash at the end.

Safer here than out there. Especially with all the fog.
Moving to Frank, Jaz examines the potatoes before speaking again.
Well, looks like we have some decent food. Probably best if we could cook it, though I'm not sure if we'll be able to, given the circumstances. Ah, well, perhaps those things will leave off if we're eating. We'll be poor fare otherwise.
Listen Check[roll0]

DrSalt
2010-02-08, 08:03 PM
Eli

Eli points to the wall across from the window and whispers to the group, "Unless anyone remembers a clothesline on the side of the house.... we're not alone."

Cursing himself for not procuring one of the remaining table legs Eli resumed looking around for a weapon. Reaching into his pocket a thought dawned on him. The young elves eyes starting darting around the room as his hands started tearing strips of material off what remained of his tattered cloak.

Eli begins trying to make a sling from his clothing, while scanning the room for broken bricks, pebbles, anything that can be used as ammo for it.

DrSalt
2010-02-08, 08:06 PM
It occurs to me I may need to roll.

For whatever it takes to make a sling
[roll0]

Search
[roll1]

dresdor
2010-02-08, 08:36 PM
Eli makes a semi-functional sling out of the fabric he tears off his clothes, but he isn't sure how long it will last. He also finds several (7) pieces of rock that have broken off of the hearth.

Jaz can hear the same faint sound of cloth scraping against something rough outside on the opposite side of the house from the window.

dresdor
2010-02-08, 10:25 PM
There is a loud howling noise that is very different from the sounds heard before. From outside there is the sound of a frenzy of movement, as if several things were running quickly around the house. A few seconds later a howl of pain can be heard, but it doesn't sound like it is near the house.

Narazil
2010-02-09, 01:52 AM
Frank Harring

Frank slides the chest under his arm, gripping the hammer tight with his free hand. "So... Eeeerhh... Are we leaving, right now?!." Frank snaps his head from side to side, trying to keep an eye at everything at once.

Frank is very alert right now.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Woodsman
2010-02-09, 11:30 AM
Jonathan shook his head. "No, we cannot leave. Those things are still out there, and to leave now would simply kill us all. They didn't attempt to enter the house, after all."

WarBrute
2010-02-09, 12:36 PM
Glyn

Glyn sat his back against the the wall. He held his head with one hand. He look at the clubs the half orc procured from the table. "I might be able fix those up a bit if you let me see 'em"

dresdor
2010-02-09, 02:15 PM
There is a loud thump against the wall near the door. Suddenly a woman's voice yells out in common and elven "Open the damn door." The voice sounds very far away.

Narazil
2010-02-09, 02:51 PM
Frank Harring

"Don't! DON'T! It's a trap! It'll kill us all!"

Strawberries
2010-02-09, 03:08 PM
Enthilza

"Frank." Despite being scared, Enthilza is trying to keep a reassuring voice "Someone out there may be in trouble"

Raising her voice to be heard outside "Who is there?"

Enthilza tries her best to listen for any sort of deception in a possible answer. She is aware of the danger, but simply can't bring herself to deny help to someone who may need it.

Sense motive - if that's the rght check to make [roll0]

Narazil
2010-02-09, 03:11 PM
Frank Harring

"If we let someone out there in, we might be in trouble! It might be a trick, she might be followed! She might be.. Evil!"

WarBrute
2010-02-09, 03:45 PM
Glyn

"Frank!" Glyn yelled "Get a hold of yourself dammit!" Glyn stood and stepped by the door, gripping his knife tightly in his left hand. He waited for a response from the person outside.

Narazil
2010-02-09, 03:46 PM
Frank Harring.

"Hells and demons.." Frank mutters under his breath, then walks back to his corner, grasping his hammer tightly.

dresdor
2010-02-09, 04:04 PM
"Anyone with a weapon would be helpful!" The voice screams.

Stawberries: You get no strong feelings one way or another about the voice. You are afraid that it might be a trick but are more afraid that it might not be and you are letting an innocent person die.

Strawberries
2010-02-09, 04:29 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza takes a couple of deep breaths, clutching her amulet. Somehow the jolt she felt from it earlier reassures her. Selena, help me to make the right choice, she quickly prays.

Then, in a voice she strains to keep calm, addressing the others "I’m going to open this door now. We can’t let that woman die. Jonathan, may I?".

She is trembling a little, but moves with determination. If she isn’t stopped she takes the makeshift club from Jonathan’s hands and proceeds to open the door.

Woodsman
2010-02-09, 04:39 PM
Jonathan steps up behind the girl, his longsword raised.

"Who are you?" he asks.

Narazil
2010-02-09, 04:47 PM
Frank Harring.

Slowly lurking forward, Frank positions himself behind Jonathan, wielding his hammer with both of his hands.

dresdor
2010-02-09, 05:02 PM
OOC: Have you decided to open the door or not :-p. What's a matter? Chicken? :-p

Strawberries
2010-02-09, 05:13 PM
OOC
I'm all for it, but wanted to give a chance to the others to stop me if they didn't want to. If I am not stopped and noone precedes me then by any means you can say my character opens the door even if I'm not online at the moment (may go offline for a bit in a while)

DrSalt
2010-02-09, 08:25 PM
Eli

"The doors barricaded for a reason, I say it remains that way. She wants in she can come on in through there." Eli says rather coldly as he motions towards the window. "Or at the very least show herself before we open the door to whatever else may be out there."

dresdor
2010-02-09, 08:44 PM
You hear a scream of pain from outside. It sounds like it came from whomever was calling out to you.

Marillion
2010-02-09, 09:50 PM
Dirk

Unable to stand by anymore at the sound of the scream, Dirk stomps to the door. "I think some of the monsters are in here already." Readying his makeshift club and ignoring any efforts to stop him, he moves the chair aside and opens the door.

dresdor
2010-02-09, 10:40 PM
When you open the door, you see a human corpse laying in a pile nearby. Blood pours from bolt wounds in its torso and shoulder. It doesn't move. You see someone standing about halfway between the broken fence that surrounds the clearing and the house.

Strawberries
2010-02-10, 01:50 AM
Enthilza

"Damn it!" The fact alone that Enthilza is swearing should show how shaken she is. She knows that there may be danger, but at the moment she doesn't care. She rushes to the nearby body to examine it. At the same moment she also tries to see who is the figure that is standing near the fence

Spot check [roll0]. If it looks like the corpse isn't one of the monster and I can help it somehow, I take whatever action necessary (Heal check, if I can do it untrained) also, ooops, made some confusion with my name , and what is it with me and dice rolls? The roller hates me :smalltongue:

Narazil
2010-02-10, 03:37 AM
Frank Harring

Frank rushes forward, and goes to stand in the doorway, eyes shifting from side to side.

Diabhan
2010-02-10, 10:53 AM
Siobhe Nailo

"Ummm, I could....kinda...use some help...hereee..."

Siobhe crumples to the ground.

dresdor
2010-02-10, 11:42 AM
The body near the door is clearly beyond help. There is nothing unusual about it except the bolt wounds, and the tattered, dirty clothes it is wearing. That said, your own clothing isn't looking much better.

The figure in the clearing is a half-elf maiden carrying a crossbow. From her tattered clothing, and bloody bandages it is clear she has been fighting for her life. She collapses from exhaustion outside.

There do not appear to be any hostile things around.

Enthilza feels something pulling her to help the half-elf, instead of tending to the body on the doorstep.

Narazil
2010-02-10, 11:47 AM
Frank Harring

Frank slowly walks outside, snapping his head from side to side rapidly, trying to catch a glimpse of any would-be ambushes.
"What's happened out here? Why've you shot that guy?" Realizing the half-elf is not capable of answering, he directs his attention to the body in front of him, and lightly prods the human with his foot, to see if he moves.

Spot again. [roll0]

Strawberries
2010-02-10, 01:37 PM
Enthilza
Swiveling towards the half-elf , Enthilza rushes towards her and kneels to her side, trying to assess her condition.
Whispering a quick prayer to Selena under her breath, she does her best to see if there are any life-threatening wounds.

Spot check [roll0] . If she sees something that needs immediate attention, then Heal check [roll1] ,otherwise she is going to wait till they are inside
"Someone help me to carry her inside!" She shouts "We can’t stay here!"

dresdor
2010-02-10, 02:27 PM
Frank spots nothing unusual.

Enthilza notices that the half-elf has bound her own wounds. They don't seem to be life-threatening, and while the bandages are bloody they don't seem to be getting any bloodier.

Narazil
2010-02-10, 02:59 PM
Frank Harring

"This is going to end badly." Frank lays a hand on Enthilza's shoulder, picks up the half-elf, holding her in front of his body. He turns around and marches inside.

Strawberries
2010-02-10, 04:32 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza gets up from her kneeling position and follows Frank in the house . Since the moment the door was open she has acted on instinct , which somehow has made her forget how afraid she was. Now that they are again in a relative safety she becomes aware again of the thumping of her heart and the unpleasant taste of adrenaline on her tongue.
“Please put her on the bed” she says, swallowing “I am going to try to help her.”

She checks the half elf bandages, doing the best she can to improve her conditions. If only I had some water...

Heal [roll0]

WarBrute
2010-02-10, 04:59 PM
Glyn

With everyone inside Glyn goes to work remaking the pitiful barricade with the door and table. "Dammit... Dammit" He says over and over again. When he finishes he walks over to the bed side to watch Enthilza work.

dresdor
2010-02-10, 05:36 PM
The half-elf's efforts leave little room for improvement. The bandages are tight and have the injuries covered and bleeding under control. She seems to have scratches on the back of her neck. She has two bad bites on her arm. One of the injuries has been treated with some sort of herb.

Strawberries
2010-02-10, 07:08 PM
Enthilza
Seeing as there is little she can do at the moment, Enthilza tries at least to make sure the half elf is comfortable.

“Selena, protector of maidens, please take this young woman under your protection” she whispers, clutching the holy symbol for comfort, before turning towards the others “I can’t do much for her, but I don’t think she is in danger. She just needs to rest”

Woodsman
2010-02-10, 07:15 PM
Jonathan nodded. "We'll talk with her after she wakes. She may have seen what attacked her, and if it's anything like what has been hunting us, we could learn something. For now, though, she needs rest."

WarBrute
2010-02-10, 08:29 PM
Glyn

"We will have to keep an eye on her. For all we know the person she shot was the innocent." He sighs and steps back from the table. He turns to the half-orc, "It's Dirk, right? I can fix up that club for you wanted. Though I'm not one to take a man's weapon from him."

Diabhan
2010-02-10, 09:05 PM
Siobhe Nailo

After a few minutes (or however long), Siobhe starts to slowly come to...

"ugh....*moan*...where the heck....and who are you...and where...is..WHERE IS IT??"

Siobhe has a very distraught look on her face and begins to fractically look around the room as she sits up.

(OOC: She isn't anger yelling...it's more frantic, panicky, scared)

Marillion
2010-02-10, 10:19 PM
Dirk

Unsurprised that Glyn wasn't sure of his name, Dirk grunted in affirmation. He stared at the table-leg, then at the man, and shrugged. He hands it over without a word. Even if Glyn messes up and makes the table leg useless, he reasons, there are two more still on the table.

As the half elf regains consciousness and starts to panic, Dirk comes up to her and lays a (he thinks) reassuring hamfist on her shoulder. "You looking for your crossbow?"

Diabhan
2010-02-10, 10:41 PM
Siobhe Nailo

Looks up at Dirk,"Yes, well, it's not mine, it is...it was...my f-father's...I just need it..."

(OOC: A LINK (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=184187) to my sheet with my background, in case any of you decide you was to recognize me or not :smallsmile: )

Narazil
2010-02-11, 05:13 AM
Frank Harring

Frank comes to stand right in front of the half-elf, looking down her with a stern expression on his face.

"Don't worry about where it is.. Worry about answering our questions - now. Why did you shoot the guy out there? Answer fast, and don't try to play us for fools."

Tavar
2010-02-11, 11:48 AM
Jaz
Jaz eyes narrow a bit as he sees the girl, though he doesn't look hostile, merely concentrating, as if he's trying to place a face. When the Frank confronts her, he shakes himself from his reverie, and puts a hand on Frank's elbow.

Calm down, Frank. Considering the situation, getting all worked up isn't going to help matters. Now, Sibhe, is it? Can you please tell me what happened?

Oops. Name corrected now.

Narazil
2010-02-11, 11:56 AM
((Tavar, Frank's the blacksmith's son, not the sheriff))

WarBrute
2010-02-11, 12:00 PM
Glyn

Glyn smiled weakly at Dirk as he handed over his makeshift club. Glyn seemed mildly surprised when Jaz seemed to know the half-elf's name. Well if Jaz was friendly with her, then she probably wasn't a monster. He sat down in the corner and started going over the club with his knife.

Craft(Woodworking)
[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-02-11, 01:15 PM
Enthilza

Seeing that Jaz seems to recognize the girl, Enthilza too searches her memory. She recalls vaguely to have seen the half-elf at the tavern sometimes, but not often. She is not surprised not to have recognized her; after their escape they are all almost unrecognizable for all the filth and blood.

“No one is going to hurt you, here” she says, looking straight at Frank. The “or else” is heavily implied.

Enthilza feels a bit silly. Here is this young man, taller and stronger than her and she is scolding him like he was one of her little brothers. “You are Shiobe, the hunter’s daughter? You may not remember me, I’m Enthilza, I was a maid at Jaz’s. You surely already know the sheriff. Frank carried you here, and over there there are Glyn and Dirk”. She is trying to put the girl at ease “And the elf there isn’t from around town…I don’t think I ever knew your name, friend “ she says, addressing Eli “But what happened? I didn’t think anyone from the village was still alive”.

If Shiobe somehow had managed to survive, would it be possible that some of Enthilza’s family were alive as well? She tries to tell herself that that's impossible, for one they were unarmed farmers, not trained hunter, and then, she had seen the blood...but the tought won't go away.

Diabhan
2010-02-11, 04:37 PM
Siobhe Nailo

Seeming to shake out of her worry and snapping back into reality, She stands up and steps right into Frank's personal space. She is not happy right now. She also will refuse to let any word in edge-wise until she is done. Her voice is firm, a tad condescending, and her voice rises in volume and emotion as she goes on.

"Frank is it? I don't know if you noticed, but I just saved your ass just a little bit ago. Notice any noises outside? No? Could be I just killed the things that slaughtered EVERYONE ELSE in our village! Just like everyone else in this shack, I lost everything too! So before you go trying to act all high and mighty, a little THANKS might be in order! While you were in here, I was OUT THERE, practically being RIPPED TO PIECES, in an attempt to save those I did NOT KNOW! I am exhausted, injured, and not up to listening to your accusatory drabble. You want to be helpful? How about asking what we are UP AGAINST instead of accusing! Right now, I am the ONLY person to SURVIVE THOSE MONSTERS! Now unless the next words out of YOUR mouth are apologetic or constructive, just keep your trap shut!

While her little venting session is going on, she motions towards her injured left arm, and at the end, jabs him in the chest with her index finger before turning and leaning against the closest wall. She closes her eyes and takes a long deep breath.

Seeming much calmer, Siobhe turns to Enthilza.

"Thank you for your kind words. You do seem familiar to me, and yes, I am the hunter's daughter. I honestly can't tell you what happened. I was off visiting the elven village and was told the news. I hurried home to find my father slaughtered. I had him buried, grabbed his crossbow, and set out after the caravan's trail to offer my help. I encountered 2 on the way here, hence this wound. (She points to her forearm) I then followed your trail to this house, where 4 more lurked outside, and one took a much larger chunk from me. Now, I would rather NOT have a breakdown over the loss of the ONLY thing I have left to remind me of any family, so if someone would kindly tell me where my father's bow is, I would appreciate it."

((OOC: ugh, sorry for the heavy text.))

dresdor
2010-02-11, 04:39 PM
Glyn manages to rework one club. He does a very good job at it.

The clubs stats are now: 1d8 damage, you can choose right now if you want it to be all bludgeoning or half bludgeoning half piercing damage. This choice is permanent and cannot be changed after this.

Woodsman
2010-02-11, 08:31 PM
"Thank you very much, Siobhe. Can you tell me what the things were like? Anything could help us fend them off," Jonathan asks, politely.

DrSalt
2010-02-11, 09:07 PM
Eli

Eli, sitting back and smirking until this point, seems to be affected by Siobhe's last sentence. Somberly he turns to Enthilza, "I am V'eliash, Eli if you'd like. I was in service to Torderk, the dwarven merchant passing through your town."

"Judging by your bites miss", he says turning towards Siobhe "and the quite normal looking human pincushion outside I'd wager that whatever is responsible for all this would look quite "normal". If that is the case then please forgive the questions, can't hurt to be wary in these times. If that is not the case... then it appears you have just shot an innocent; yet another reason for us to be wary."

Eli walks to the window and turns, peering out. His shoulders seem to slump and he lets out a sigh as he leans on the windowsill for support. "I just wish this all to be over..." he says to no one in particular.

DrSalt
2010-02-11, 09:10 PM
Until I act otherwise just assume me to be watching out the window, trying to see anything that may come.

Spot
[roll0]

Narazil
2010-02-12, 06:51 AM
Frank Harring

"In case you did not notice, Siobhe, we were fine in here. Should something had gotten in, we would have been seven of us against that thing.. Anyway, let's not bicker. The thing's gone, good, you're alive, even better. Do try to see it from my point of view, though. I want to survive-"
He gestures towards the rest of the survivors
"- And I want to see these guys survive. And we cannot afford to either bring in something evil, nor someone who's snapped and is killing former friends. I'll rather be alert and point fingers, than stone cold dead."

WarBrute
2010-02-12, 12:15 PM
Glyn

Glyn remained silent as he worked. He didn't much care for yelling or arguing so he try to his to ignore it all.

Glyn appraises his work. One nail was still remaining in top of the club. He briefly considered removing, but he looked at Dirk and decided the nail would some how suit him. He gives the club a practice swing and walks back Dirk. He holds it out; "I hope this suits your needs."

Strawberries
2010-02-12, 12:20 PM
Enthilza

Given that the situation is somehow under control, Enthilza steps back and turns to Glyn “That’s very nice work” she says, handing him her club “could you do something for this as well?”

WarBrute
2010-02-12, 12:36 PM
Glyn

"Anything for pretty maiden" He says. Again his voice is flat and lacks emotion that normally wold be there. He gives another weak smile.

He sits back by the window and starts going over the club with his knife.

Craft(woodworking)
[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-02-12, 12:48 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza smiles back, looking a little worried. She knows Glyn quite well even if they haven't spoken often, as he is a regular at Jaz's and she is concerned for him.

She knows that they are all tired, and scared, but in her mind they can't afford to fight among themselves. She knows the half-elf, and she can't believe she may be one of the monsters...and anyways, it would be seven against one. With that in mind, she goes to retrieve Shiobe's crossbow from where it was left, near the door, with the intention of giving it back to her.

Marillion
2010-02-12, 12:53 PM
Dirk

Dirk looks at the nail sticking out of his club, and, for the first time since this whole mess started, smiles. He grunts his thanks at Glyn, then takes the club and his saddle to the corner, sitting down again and watching Frank and Siobhe go at it.

dresdor
2010-02-12, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, Glyn's work with the other club isn't nearly as great or graceful, but it is slightly easier to swing.

1d6 damage, half piercing, half bludgeoning. Removed the -1 penalty.

The house and area around it seem silent for now. There is probably about 4 hours until sunrise.

WarBrute
2010-02-13, 10:17 AM
Glyn

Glyn looked ruefully down at his work. In his attempt to balance the club he took off more wood than he meant to. When Enthilza retrieved the half-elf's cross bow with the intent to return in, Glyn said nothing. Though, he thought, the others might have something to say.

Diabhan
2010-02-13, 11:36 AM
Siobhe Nailo

Siobhe turns to look at Frank.

"Just fine huh? Oh yes, I forgot, these creatures care about proper etiquette, knock and ask to come inside to kill you. Barricading doors sure as hell didn't help the rest of our village. So how about a little gratitude for killing the FOUR creatures outside. And I usually view humanoid THINGS with glowing red eyes and an appetite for human flesh to not be innocent."

She notices Enthilza carrying her father's crossbow towards her, and sighs with relief. "Thank you Enthilza." She returns it to the harness.

Looking back at Frank, "You seem to be very adept at pointing fingers and as for wanting everyone else to stay alive...What have you done to help? At least he-" points to Glyn "-is helping people defend themselves. Now I'm going to repeat myself. I have said my piece, now I only wish to hear constructive things spewing from your trap."

Siobhe glances out the window. "I estimate about 3 or so hours until sunup. I need herbs and water to clean and bind my wounds...and we ALL need water. I figure we can do that as soon as it's daylight. If we're lucky, we can find some wood and stone to make weapons. We also need to move those carcasses away from us. Anyone who wishes to come with me is welcome, and I advise some stay here."

Siobhe draws her crossbow, stares out into the surrounding area, and listens intently.

Spot Check : [roll0]

Listen Check : [roll1]

((OOC: EDITED cuz I apparently can't read...it's still dark out...lol))

Strawberries
2010-02-14, 12:02 PM
Enthilza

“We…we need to decide what to do” Enthilza says in a small voice. When there isn’t an immediate emergency and no one is in danger she seems much more shy and reluctant to take the lead.
“We do need water, of course” she passes a hand through her hair, and pulls a face noticing how filthy it is “You’re injured, and I won’t let you go out there alone. I’m coming with you if you wish to go, but I think splitting up is a bad idea. That’s how they got us in the first place”.

Again Enthilza’s hand goes to the holy symbol. She seems to draw courage from the gesture. ““And, speaking of they” she seems reluctant to say this last part “I did examine the body outside, even if only for a short time. From what I could see, it was a human body. If we plan to fight these things, we need to know how they attack. Every little detail could help us”.

WarBrute
2010-02-14, 01:35 PM
Glyn

Glyn stands up and walks beside Enthiliza. He hands her the new club, though he remains silent. He walks to the empty fireplace and sits down.

DrSalt
2010-02-14, 04:15 PM
Eli

Eli stands gazing out the window. "The sun will be up soon. We should move out as soon as it is. We're safe here for the moment... but that won't last long. I've got some foraging experience and I'm guessing," he says pointing at Siobhe "that as a hunter's daughter you may as well. I'm not exactly sure where all of you are headed, but if you'll have me I'll do my best to help get you there."

Eli turns around to face everyone, and in a somewhat cheerier voice says, "So... anyone manage to get that chest opened?"

Narazil
2010-02-14, 04:36 PM
Frank Harring

"Sigh. You know what? Let's drop it. We can discuss the logic of taking in people we are not sure of are good or not later. I don't want hostility, I just want us to live. "

Frank places the chest on the bed once again, and slams down on the lock with his hammer.

DM

If you want new damage rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

dresdor
2010-02-14, 05:44 PM
Everything seems quiet around the house, the monsters seem to be biding their time for now.

Frank succesfully smashes the lock open, making a terrible racket. Inside the box are a few documents, a book, and a small bag. Inside the bag is a small handful of coins (6 gold, 17 silver, 30 copper).

Narazil
2010-02-14, 05:56 PM
"Anyone wants to hold the gold?"

Frank looks at the documents and the book. If its personal, he puts them back, closes the chest and puts it back under the bed.

Diabhan
2010-02-15, 09:41 PM
Siobhe Nailo

Siobhe turns to Enthilza and Eli, "I appreciate you both wanting to come along. And while I would normally advise against splitting up in this situation, I see no other way. We need supplies, and we cannot abandon this safe house, as there is not a good way to ensure it's security. I propose that the three of us head out when it is light out."

Siobhe now turns to Glyn, "If I can't find some suitable materials, do you think you might be able to carve a few bows? It could really help us out to have more weapons."

WarBrute
2010-02-16, 02:32 PM
Glyn

Glyn's eyes snap open. "Bows might be a bit difficult, being that I mostly carve childrens' toys. But I'll see what I can do"

Strawberries
2010-02-17, 06:47 PM
Enthilza

“I still think splitting up is a bad idea” Enthilza says nervously "and we can’t hole up forever in this house". A small pause, then she cautiously adds "Shall we try to reach Ripon or some other place where we can get help? We are armed - well, more or less, and we know now these things can be killed. Siobhe killed four of them. There are eight of us - if we stay together we may have a chance"

Enthilza looks towards all the people in the house, as if to seeking approval. She is terrified to come back to the house to find the bodies of the people that stayed back, or worse, to find no one at all, as has happened with her family.

Narazil
2010-02-19, 02:04 AM
Frank Harring

"Ripon's probably the best idea. We do have some gold now, I suggest we split it when we get there, and get some safe shelter, and possibly get help."

As no one accepted the gold, Frank puts the pouch inside his tunic.

dresdor
2010-02-19, 08:56 PM
Frank finds that the documents, and finds that they are a financial log and the deeds to the house and land around it. He pockets the money to be split up later.

There is discussion about what to do, and it seems that most everyone wants to continue on together. The problem remains when to leave. Whether you leave now when the creatures outside that you know of are dead or later when there is daylight to see by.

OOC: Decide what you want to do and we'll move on from there.

Woodsman
2010-02-19, 09:00 PM
"I say we leave as soon as daylight comes. We need time to rest, and we'll be able to see better," Jonathan states.

WarBrute
2010-02-19, 09:09 PM
Glyn

Glyn eyes close again, and he has appears to fall to sleep.

Strawberries
2010-02-20, 01:39 AM
Enthilza

"Jonathan is right, the morning is the best time to move. We should try to sleep a bit"
Enthilza sits down on the floor in a corner, leaning her head against the wall and trying to rest. She hopes she is too tired to have nightmares, the waking one that she is experiencing being more than enough.

DrSalt
2010-02-20, 04:45 PM
Eli

"Everyone try and get some rest, I'll keep an eye out. I'll get everyone up at sunup." Eli says. Then, jokingly, "Or earlier if anyone starts snoring to loudly."

Marillion
2010-02-20, 11:15 PM
Dirk

The half orc grunts and sits down in the corner to the right of the door, falling asleep sitting up and hugging his saddle.

dresdor
2010-02-21, 07:21 PM
The remaining hours until daylight trickle away slowly. Sleep eats at the guards' concentration, but they remain awake and watchful, though nothing seems amiss. The night passes, and daylight streams through the window. The entire area, though, is eerily silent. No birds chirp, and no animal noises can be heard.

Siobhe still feels injured, but the wounds look slightly better than they did last night. (no hp recovery). She feels spiritually stronger, and more able to handle the trials that lie ahead (see PM).

The party is soon all awake and ready to make plans for the day.

WarBrute
2010-02-21, 08:55 PM
Glyn

Glyn's eyes snap open as if he had never fallen asleep and merely just closed his eyes. "Well, that was unpleasant," he mumbles to himself. He stands slowly and brushes off his tanned leather pants and simple deep brown jerkin. He pulls out his knife and begins fiddling with it as he approaches the window. "So nothing amiss happened while we slept?" He says aloud, while peering out the window.

Strawberries
2010-02-21, 11:31 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza awakens slowly from a confused dream that involved playing hide and seek with her little brothers. Looking around he is relieved to find that all her companions are still there.

"So nothing happened" she says, relieved "we should probably go soon, to take advantage of the daylight. Anyone has an idea in which direction? "

Diabhan
2010-02-24, 11:15 AM
Siobhe Nailo

Siobhe stands up and stretches feeling better than yesterday.

"Well, I suppose I could get us a general direction, but I'd need to be outside."

Siobhe turns to scan the window outside for activity.

dresdor
2010-02-25, 06:04 PM
The world outside the window seems fairly normal. Until you realize that the bodies of the things that attacked last night are mysteriously missing. There is still virtually no noise coming from outside.

Diabhan
2010-02-25, 08:16 PM
Siobhe Nailo

Looking out the window, Siobhe shakes her head, "Well, that cannot be a good thing."

Strawberries
2010-02-25, 08:35 PM
Enthilza

"What? What is it?" Enthilza approaches the window. When she notices the bodies are gone, she purses her lips, paling a little.

"That doesn't change anything. We still can't stay here". The determination that is characteristically part of her when she is under stress is back.

WarBrute
2010-02-25, 09:08 PM
Glyn

"Well there is no use waiting inside..." He stepped away from the window and to the door. He looked behind him then opened the door and stepped out.

dresdor
2010-02-27, 10:03 AM
You step out into the morning sunlight. The only sign that there was any struggle last night are the depressed sections of grass, and the bits of bone, blood, and bolts that are scattered throughout the area. The bodies are completely gone.

Strawberries
2010-02-27, 12:22 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza steps outside behind Glyn. She bends down to examine the spot where the body was the night before "That's... it was dead, I swear it was. I examined him." She looks for anything that might give her an insight on what happened

Spot [roll0]

WarBrute
2010-02-27, 02:28 PM
Glyn

"They could have been moved... by something"

dresdor
2010-03-02, 06:17 PM
There don't appear to be any drag marks or anything. In fact the only footprints around are your own. It's as if the bodies just disappeared into thin air.

Strawberries
2010-03-03, 02:46 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza turns to Glyn "I'm not sure, but I don't think so. The body is just...gone."

WarBrute
2010-03-04, 11:44 PM
Glyn

Glyn understood the implications of Enthilza's words. He didn't want to think about it. It was just too much. "I... I don't think it matters. We need to leave."

Narazil
2010-03-07, 12:04 AM
Frank Harring

Frank did not sleep, other than the odd dozing off against the wall. Mostly, he just sat there, keeping alert and looking troubled.

He does not seem to react to the news of the corpses.

I agree with Glyn. We need to move soon.

Diabhan
2010-03-09, 10:54 AM
Siobhe Nailo

Siobhe steps outside into the sunlight, notices her bolts on the ground.

"It's like they evaporated....these (pointing to the bolts) should be lodged in various heads."

Siobhe looks around and up for anything odd in the tree-line, looks for any salvageable bolts, and starts to calculate the correct direction to Ripon, using the direction she came when the survivors veered off the road, and the direction the road was going.

(OOC: in my head it works out like a triangle, the direction they veered, the direction of the road, solve for the direction to go)

Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Knowledge(Nature): [roll3]
Survival: [roll4]

dresdor
2010-03-13, 09:40 PM
It seems about half the party doesn't want to leave the safety of the house. The rest want to get moving to somewhere that they can find help. Promises are exchanged to come back for the house-dwellers when they finally find help, and the party led by Siobhe's directions set off.

The first part of their business is searching for the corpses, and they find nothing. The whole area is eerily quiet, but no bodies can be found.

Siobhe thinks she knows the way back to the road, and hence the way towards the garrison at Ripon.

OOC: Basically those that are no longer with us are those refusing to leave the house.

Strawberries
2010-03-14, 01:52 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza walks carefully, following Siobhe's lead and looking nervously around. It's daylight, but the eerie calm of the forest is chilling. She keeps her club in her right hand, but from the strength she holds it with anyone would see that the gesture is more nervous than confident.
Enthilza is aware that she isn't a hunter and knows nothing of survival in the woods, however she tries to be as alert as possible.

[roll0] [roll1] EDIT: forgot to add the wisdom modifier to both rolls, so...both values would be +1

WarBrute
2010-03-14, 04:21 PM
Glyn

The whittling knife was out again. It spun around in Glyn's left hand, a calloused thumb lightly running over the blade. Glyn his eyes darted around the silent forest, the ice blue eyes appeared to have no sleep. He tried to push all fear out of his mind. He focused merely on keeping the group alive. And if they were going to survive they would need food and water...

Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]
Survival- [roll2]
Also is it fair to say we kept half of the potatoes?

dresdor
2010-03-20, 06:31 PM
Yes, you have six potatoes, and we'll say the entire amount of gold for simplicity's sake.

The group heads out in the rough direction of Ripon. They re-enter the forest and search for the road that they abandoned for the safety of the house. After an hour, they find it, at which point they hear screams coming from the direction of the house. The screams quickly die out.

It seems that the group that left made the right choice.

The group heads away from the screams and towards Ripon. The area they are in is sparsely populated, and they see no wildlife or people at all. The sun climbs to the middle of the sky, and the stomachs of the entire party are growling.

Strawberries
2010-03-23, 03:49 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza is walking like an animated doll. All expressions has left her face the moment she heard the screaming. She had wanted to go back to help, but she quickly came to her senses: to go back would only mean to be slaughtered as well…or whatever happened to the people the monsters attacked. So she is keeping going forward, club still in one hand, the other caressing the holy symbol in an unconscious gesture
With the passing of the day, however, came the awareness of being hungry, but mostly thirsty. She has kept looking around in the hope to find water, but so far without success.
“Could…could we stop and rest for a bit? Perhaps eat something?” she ventures. It’s the first thing she said since they left the house.

OOC: can’t hurt to roll [roll0] EDIT: Bah, it was a survival roll, but I previewed and lost it. If needed, I'll reroll.
Sorry if I took so long to post, I was waiting for Diabahn or Woodsman to take the lead on this (someone who isn't a scared and mostly useless maid :smalltongue:).
Also: am I the only one still here? :smallfrown:

WarBrute
2010-03-23, 08:08 PM
Glyn

Glyn slows his pace when he hears Enthilza speak. "I think some water and food would do us all some good. Walking until we collapse will accomplish nothing." He comes to a stop and looks around at their surroundings. "I might be able to find a stream nearby... and some food. If that fails we can cook some of those potatoes we have."

Survival to find food/water [roll0]

dresdor
2010-03-27, 03:43 PM
Glyn manages to find a small pool of water nearby. It isn't horribly clean water, but it is the only water he can find in their vicinity.

Luckily there is plenty of fallen branches and such for a fire.

Strawberries
2010-03-28, 04:08 PM
Enthilza sighs in relief, before drinking from the pool. "If only we had something to carry it with" she says, almost to herself, before setting to gather branches to start a fire. "I...uh, I've never done this without a flint" she stammers.

WarBrute
2010-03-29, 10:34 AM
Glyn

Glyn gently runs his fingers through the water. Then despite himself he similes at the young maiden's words. "You would think one of us would have brought flint along." He turns to the pile of branches Enthiliza had made. "Well, we can try our best" He sits at begins to work.

Is there a skill check for starting a fire without flint?

dresdor
2010-03-31, 06:28 AM
Between the two trying, a small fire springs up.

WarBrute
2010-03-31, 11:19 AM
Glyn

Glyn smiles slightly as the fire springs to life. "Well that's one thing taken care of." He says, We can probably bake some of those potatoes in the coals once they heat up a bit."

Strawberries
2010-03-31, 11:46 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza smiles when the fire springs to life. For a moment, she has the expression of a carefree little girl

"Let me, please. I've got a lot of experience in cooking things"she says, taking the potatoes from Glyn's hands and setting to prepare them. For once, she doesn't seem older then her fourteen years.

WarBrute
2010-04-02, 12:41 AM
Glyn

"It's for the best I think." He says. He turns to the pool of water and bends to take a sip. "It's a shame we don't have anything to carry water in."

dresdor
2010-04-03, 02:30 PM
(guess the others are gone as well)

As the potatoes begin to cook, you hear growling coming from the woods around you. It sounds like there are many of whatever is making the noise.

Strawberries
2010-04-04, 12:49 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza gets hastily to her feet, as soon as she hears the growling, forgotting about the potatoes. She picks up her club, holding it so tightly her knuckles go white. She is shaking, but her mouth is set. For a moment, she considers fleeing, but she'd rather die fighting than running away blindly trough the forest.

She subconsciously shifts closer to Glyn, scanning the area around in an attempt to identify where the sound is coming from

SPOT [roll0]
LISTEN [roll1]

Edit: Yay! I can see who's coming to kill us!

WarBrute
2010-04-04, 12:32 PM
Glyn

Glyn stands the small knife already held tightly in his left hand. His breathing became rapid as he looked into the woods. He suddenly began to wish he had a club like Enthilza. "Do you see anything?" He whispers to her. There was no where to run, nothing to hide behind.

WarBrute
2010-04-04, 12:35 PM
I forgot to post rolls :smallsigh:
Listen-[roll0]
Spot-[roll1]

dresdor
2010-04-04, 09:19 PM
One of you sees and the other hears the enemy all around you. They literally are surrounding you: Men, women, and even children. Some bodies fully intact, other missing limbs and gushing black ooze. You recognize many of them as villagers you knew. Thankfully no family make appearances, but Enthilza recognizes many of the faces from her previous line of work.

They surround you and your fire at a distance of about sixty feet. How they got this close without you noticing until now is a bit terrifying. In all there are about twenty of them.

WarBrute
2010-04-05, 03:59 PM
Glyn

Enthilza hears Glyn gag when the things emerge from the forest into the clearing. "We have to... to.." He tighten the grip on his knife, frozen for a moment. Then as if struck by some holy inspiration he reaches to the fire and draws out a burning branch. He holds the fire out in front of him and yells "B-b-back foul monsters! Back!" He tries to control his voice, but the stutter reveals his fear.

Strawberries
2010-04-05, 04:22 PM
Enthilza

"Selena help us, they're all around us" Enthilza whispers, frozen in place, for a moment too afraid to try and imitate Glyn. She holds her club tightly, however, raising it in front of her, trembling but determined. She clutches her mother's amulet again, trying to drawing strenght from the gesture.

dresdor
2010-04-05, 07:52 PM
The creatures growl fiercely but they shrink back from the fire. Oddly the ones on Enthiliza's side shrink back as well, though she only wields a club and not fire.

WarBrute
2010-04-05, 08:32 PM
Glyn

Glyn's heart beat rapidly in his heart. This was a nightmare. It had to be. "We need to... we need to escape.." His breath is ragged. "Enthilza.." He says, then yells "Just follow me!"" He charges forward between the closes two monsters holding the fire in front of himself.

Strawberries
2010-04-06, 07:39 AM
Enthilza

It takes Glyn's yell to shake Enthilza out of her panicked daze. As soon as he dartes forward, she follows close behind, still clutching the holy symbol like a lifeline.

dresdor
2010-04-07, 07:10 PM
Three of the creatures lunge towards you as you try to break free of their circle. It seems that it is just the two of you against the horde, the others that left the house are gone.

WarBrute
2010-04-07, 10:53 PM
Glyn

In desperation Glyn holds his knife high in the air and stabs down with it at the nearest monster.

WarBrute
2010-04-07, 10:54 PM
Messed up my rolls in previous post :smallsigh:

To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

I'm just calling the knife a normal dagger for this.

Strawberries
2010-04-08, 01:08 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza does the same, using her club to take a swing to another one of the monsters. She is pretty much acting only by instinct, now "Selena protect us" is the only thought she is still rational enough to form

[roll0] [roll1] Also, if it's necessary [roll2]
Edit: wow. Too bad my club doesn't allow critical damage, does it?

dresdor
2010-04-08, 09:20 PM
Two of the former townsfolk go down, one with a knife wound through the skull and the other with their face battered in by a club. The rest shamble towards you, and the four nearest you claw desperately at your face and eyes. By some blessing or miracle their hands are kept inches away from you as you dodge and try to get free.

WarBrute
2010-04-08, 09:40 PM
Glyn

As the villager in front of him fell a brief thought enters the man's mind. He had never killed another before. But it did not matter. He pushes the thought from his mind. It did not matter. He had to survive.
He had to survive...
Had to survive...
survive...
survive...
And with that in his mind he continued to stab, a yell endlessly echoing in his throat.

Initiative: [roll0]

Attack next closes enemy
To hit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Strawberries
2010-04-09, 12:41 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza doesn't spare time to think about what she is doing. She yells in triumph when the monster she attacked goes down. If they could be killed, or at least stopped, there was hope to escape.
She takes another swing with her club, to the nearest foe

[roll0] [roll1]

dresdor
2010-04-09, 03:28 PM
You two try to drive off more of the creatures with your flailing attacks, but they are too frantic, and you are unable to make contact. Perhaps the first hits were luck, or, more likely, the adrenaline is starting to effect you more than it should.

More of the creatures press in, and Glynn succesfully avoids getting bitten. Enthilza, however, receives a ferocious bite to the arm, and her neck is badly scratched by another of the creatures. Her free flowing blood seems to entice them further (2 damage).

Strawberries
2010-04-10, 02:25 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza cries out in pain "Glyn! Help!". She tries again to hit the creature that is attacking her "Stand back! In Selena's name!" she shouts,raucously.

Was it my turn? [roll0] [roll1]. If not, ignore the rolls!
edit: gaah!

dresdor
2010-04-10, 11:13 AM
As you say the name of the goddess a powerful calm comes over you. Your club strike misses, but two of the creatures burst into flame and crumple to the ground. You feel something stirring within you.

WarBrute
2010-04-10, 08:45 PM
Glyn

"What in the name of..." It was in this very moment Glyn realized he had never been a very religious man and suddenly he begun to regret it. "...did you just do!" Glyn yells. He spares little thought of the matter as more of the monsters are still standing. He attempts to maneuver himself between anymore of them and Enthilza and stabs at anything that gets near them.

Time for more stabbing!
[roll0]
[roll1]
... 4. again.

Strawberries
2010-04-11, 05:43 AM
Enthilza

For a moment, Enthilza doesn't realize what just happened. Then, she straightens a little. She is still bleeding, but she doesn't seem to notice. "Selena is looking upon us" she says, still unnaturally calm. Then, she strikes again with her club, this time holding her holy symbol in front of her, towards the monster she is attempting to strike down.

Let's try it again... (please be more than a ten...) [roll0] [roll1] EDIT: YAY!

dresdor
2010-04-11, 08:40 AM
Six of the monsters are now within melee range, with the remaining twenty coming on fast. Glyn swings inneffectually, but Enthilza connects hard, sending the creature slamming back into another one. This still leaves four snarling and trying to eat your flesh.

All four seem to fear Enthilza, and attack Glyn instead. One bites him hard on his off-hand. Glyn doesn't loose any fingers, but his blood is now flowing freely as well (1 damage)

WarBrute
2010-04-11, 12:57 PM
Glyn

Glyn yells the creature bites into his flesh. "There so many of them!" He holds the fiery torch out out the remaining creatures "Stay away from us!" He yells. He then slashes at the closest monster to him.

To hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

EDIT: Nat 1 :smallannoyed:

Strawberries
2010-04-12, 09:33 AM
Enthilza

"Leave him alone!" Enthilza swings her club towards the monster closest to Glyn "We can't take down all of them, there are too many!" she tries to look for a way to escape

And I'm back a little earlier, so belay my post about not being able to access the forum. Anyway [roll0] [roll1]. Also, are we still completely surrounded or could we try to make a run for it?

dresdor
2010-04-13, 09:23 AM
Enthilza smashes another of the monsters, and it falls to the ground. Glyn tries to outdo the young girl, and slashes wildly, but instead he falls to the ground and looses hold of his torch. As he struggles to get up, the monsters close in.
Distracted, Enthilza feels something bite her shoulder from behind (1 damage)

Total damage:
Enthilza (3)
Glyn (1)

OOC: You could have escaped but fumbles McGee there is now surrounded and prone, Enthilza can still escape if she wishes.

24 creatures left, with six surrounding Glyn, one behind Enthilza. 10 will be here next round, the rest the round after.

WarBrute
2010-04-13, 06:49 PM
Glyn

Glyn lies face in the dirt the monsters closing around him. It would be so easy just to lie here are die... Empty your mind of the horrors and just die... simply die. Glyn closes his eyes ready for his fate. Soon it will be over.

Then above him he heard the continued struggle of Ethilza. He could not give up on her. Not while she still tries to survive. Glyn pushes himself up and lunges at the monster closes to Ethilza

Move Action: Stand up from prone (Provokes attacks of opportunity..."Damned if I do, damned if I don't" sorta situation here. )
To hit: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Strawberries
2010-04-14, 12:50 AM
Sorry I missed Dresdor's last post. Fo some reason, the thread did not show as updated.

Enthilza

With Glyn down, Enthilza does not even consider the possibility to escape, nor the enemy behind her. She lunges at the group surrounding him, trying to drive them away "I said stand back! I command you in the name of Selena!" she tries to inject in her tone some sort of authority, but a fourteen's years old voice isn't really suited to that, and it comes out a little squawky.

[roll0] [roll1] Edit: oh well, can't always have luck.

dresdor
2010-04-14, 07:10 AM
Glyn is scratched as he struggles on the ground (2 damage), but suddenly a peaceful calm comes over him. He shouts at the monsters, and the ones surrounding him fly backwards as if there was an explosion. Even the one behind Enthilza was thrown down. Some of the creatures do not get back up from where they are thrown. Glyn stands up, unsure of what just happened.
Enthilza's command and holy symbol seem to do nothing

OOC: You are clear for the moment, several creatures will reach you in the next round if you stay there. You aren't sure how many of the creatures have been knocked out of the fight this round.

WarBrute
2010-04-14, 01:02 PM
Glyn

What ever had happen did not matter. He just had to stay focused on survial. "Enthilza! Glyn shouts "We have to get out of here! There's just too many of them" Glyn takes off running into the forest, glancing back to make sure Enthilza is following him.

Full-round Action: Run 4x speed (120ft) in a straight line

Strawberries
2010-04-14, 01:27 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza just follows him, running as fast as she can without looking back.

Same as Warbrute above :smalltongue:

dresdor
2010-04-14, 10:39 PM
You run for what seems like an eternity. When you finally collapse from exhaustion you find yourselves hopelessly lost in the middle of the forest. Thankfully you hear running water nearby and find a small stream with fresh, clean water.

You are both injured, but thankfully alive and there is no sign of the creatures around...nor of your companions.

WarBrute
2010-04-14, 11:09 PM
Glyn

Glyn stumbles and falls to the ground next the stream. He splashes water on his face before looking himself over. His thin jerkin is torn in several places, his shirt is bloodstained and ragged, and his arms and face are covered in scratches. "Did you see... where the others went?" He gasps

Strawberries
2010-04-15, 09:17 AM
Enthilza

"I don't know." Enthilza is still breathing heavily and seems close to tears. She is bleeding from her shoulder and neck "I...I lost them when we were surrounded. Those people...did you see? They were from the village. Do you think my family...?" she doesn't seem able to complete the question, instead, she starts to cry quietly.

WarBrute
2010-04-15, 10:53 AM
Glyn

Glyn stands up shakily and helps Enthilza to sit down beside the water, "Here, just sit and drink some water." He sits beside her and thinks.

His family was a distance memory. How long ago did he leave his home? He just kept going town to town till he was far enough away that no one knew his family name. Then he kept going until he arrived in Thirsk, the first place he had ever settled down. He had friends...

"...the children." He buries his face in his hands.

Strawberries
2010-04-15, 05:07 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza lets Glyn guide her to sit down, leaning a bit on him, then uses some water to clean her face, and her wounds. She seems calmer afterwards. "Let me see your hand. Are you badly hurt?" she thinks for a moment, then "Before we run...what happened? It seemed those people were threw..." she gestures with her hand, uncertain of how to explai what she means "Did you do that? "

WarBrute
2010-04-15, 08:03 PM
Glyn

He let's Ethilza look at his hand "I... I don't really know." Glyn says looking into the water. "I thought maybe you did with your..." He waves at her amulet. "But strange things were always happening around my family... It's why I left them."

dresdor
2010-04-15, 08:55 PM
OOC: BTW you may now both advance to your first PC level; keeping the bonus skills I gave you earlier. Now those bonus skill ranks I gave you actually should be a flat misc bonus so they don't impact the ranks of a skill you can earn. If you could adjust that on your sheets that would be great.

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 06:40 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza gently takes Glyn's hand, doing the best she can to wash away the blood and tending to the wound. She is once again reminded of her little brothers, and the times she had to tend to some scrape. "I think you did it" she says "Before, when those two monsters burst into flames...that was Selena, I'm sure of it. I felt her answering my call" she smiles a little "But those last ones were not her doing. Or, should I say " she corrects herself " her doing, but not through me". She hesitates a moment, then "Glyn, what are we going to do now? We have no food, and I don't know where we are"

WarBrute
2010-04-18, 11:43 AM
Glyn

Glyn rubs his eyes with his uninjured hand. He sighs, "I've had to spend a few nights in the woods before, I'm sure we will be able to find some food. And at least we have this water" He squints his eyes, looking down the length of the stream. "This stream might leads us some where... towns always form near bodies of water." He is silent for a moment. "Are you ready to get moving? I can try to find food on the way."

Strawberries
2010-04-18, 12:25 PM
Enthilza

Nodding, Enthilza gets up slowly. "Yes, we should go,try to find a safe place before nightfall" she picks up her club, then makes a face at the blood congealed on it, and dips it into the river to clean it. She'd really like to bathe, too, if only she felt safer... "I'm ready"

WarBrute
2010-04-18, 06:13 PM
Glyn

Glyn smiles meekly "I hope this works." Glyn leads Ethilza down stream at a slow pace in hope he will find food on the way. As he walks he begins fiddling with his knife again that he wiped clean of blood.

Forage for food while moving at half speed,

Survival check [roll0]

EDIT: A good roll for once. Glyn should be able to provide enough food for himself and 3 other people

dresdor
2010-04-20, 08:57 PM
You move down the river, trying to find some sign of civilization. Along the way Glyn manages to scrounge some berries and a few other plants that are fairly tasty. It's not a steak dinner, but it is enough to keep you going and stop your stomachs from growling.

As the day gets late, you notice something in the distance. There are several houses grouped together on either side of the bank up ahead. Smoke rises from one of the chimneys.

It is about 2 hours away from dusk by the time you reach the village. There are no people or creatures in sight.

WarBrute
2010-04-20, 09:43 PM
Glyn

"See." Glyn says when they first see then town. He smiles, a bit of life returning to his ice blue eyes. He feels much better with a bit of food in his belly.

As they approach the houses, however; he feels a chill run up his spine. "It seems... a bit empty" He tries to shake the feeling as he approaches.

Strawberries
2010-04-21, 02:06 AM
Enthilza

Entilza points at the smoke: "There is someone, see?" she follows Glyn inside the village, looking worriedly at the sky. It's almost nightfall, we should ask for a place to sleep. After all, we can pay for lodging" she looks around, trying to get a feel for the place, or to see if there is something unusual at all.

[roll0] [roll1]

WarBrute
2010-04-21, 12:27 PM
Glyn

Glyn nods "Yeah, OK let's go." He says. He heads for the house with the smoke rising from the chimney.

Listen:[roll1]

dresdor
2010-04-22, 06:00 PM
The house with smoke rising from it seems to be well barricaded from the inside. You do not hear any noises being made from the inside.

WarBrute
2010-04-22, 07:55 PM
Glyn

Glyn felt a tightness form in his stomach as he sees the barricades and is vividly reminded of Siobhe frantic attempts in to be let inside the abandoned cabin yesterday. She was dead now... or so he thought. In fact, death would be better than what happened to the other villagers. Glyn suddenly became aware that he had been drifting away in thought and forgot the matter at hand. He shakes his head and rubs his temple.

He approaches the door and looks over his shoulder at Ethilza and mouths "Should we knock?"

Strawberries
2010-04-23, 11:20 AM
Enthilza

She nods, looking grimly at the barricade "We have to." she answers. It would be nightfall soon, and she didn't want to think of what could happen if they stayed outside after dusk, with the darkness makind difficult to see possible threats...she shudders a bit. Taking a deep breath, she walks to the door and knocks.

dresdor
2010-04-23, 07:30 PM
You hear noise on the inside after you knock, and the door moves a bit. If you had to guess you'd say that someone just barricaded the door further from the inside. The light is starting to fade.

WarBrute
2010-04-23, 10:51 PM
Glyn

Glyn shifts, "We could always try one of the other houses." he says to Enthilza. He looks back to the door, "Hello? He says keeping his voice calm. "We just need a place to stay for the night... We can pay." He adds.

dresdor
2010-04-24, 06:25 PM
A voice shouts from inside "No! This is another trap. I'll not let you have me like you had the others. James Mclan will not be a meal to you!"

A crossbow bolt penetrates the door, nicking Glyn in the arm. It in embedded in the wood with just the tip sticking out (1 damage).

WarBrute
2010-04-24, 08:46 PM
Glyn

"Sonofabitch!" Glyn yells grabbing his arm where the bolt hit it. He glares at the door."Come on Enthilza... let's check the other houses. Maybe we can find something useful." He steps away from the house.

Strawberries
2010-04-25, 02:41 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza stares at the door for a moment, as if unable to conceive that anyone could attack with a chance of hurting innocents "But....we aren't trying to hurt you" she yells at the door, before realizing Glyn is probably right, and stepping away as well

dresdor
2010-04-25, 10:25 PM
Many of the other houses have broken doors and windows, with everything of use stripped away. A few have bloody patches on the floors that you don't want to think about. You find one house with a few pieces of intact furniture and windows and doors mostly intact. There don't appear to be any other people in the town except for the barricaded crossbow-wielding maniac.

Strawberries
2010-04-26, 11:13 AM
Enthilza

Trying to banish the ental images evoked by the empty houses and the blood, Enthilza turns to the one intact house " We could stay here for the night, make a barricade with the furnitures" she ventures "and keep traveling tomorrow" There must be a place where someone can help us...

WarBrute
2010-04-26, 01:24 PM
Glyn

Glyn sighs looking around the room. "I wish we hadn't lost those potatoes. It would be nice to have a warm dinner right about now." He leans against one of the walls and imagines the time spent in Jaz's bar. Those day were lost forever now.

"Yes, let's just stay here tonight. We can use some of this furniture to barricade ourselves in. And maybe I can make myself a my own club. It would be a it better than just a whittling knife."

Glyn looks around for any spare wood for a club while they try to move the furniture to make a barricade.

Strawberries
2010-04-26, 01:39 PM
Enthilza

The young girl tries to help him as best as she can in moving the furnitures to barricade the house. Fortunately, the work in the farm has given her some physical strenght. She also looks around the house for anything they could have missed the first time

[roll0] Edit:yay?

dresdor
2010-04-29, 11:13 PM
The two prepare to barricade themselves in. In a final sweep, Enthilza finds a bag with three hard loaves of bread and a wineskin full of wine. Glyn also gathers enough wood to make and maintain a small fire in the fireplace. They barricade themselves in and settle in for the night.

The begining of the night seems quiet enough.

WarBrute
2010-04-29, 11:50 PM
Glyn

"Small miracles, small miracles" Glyn says quietly as we gathers the wood and places near the fireplace. He begins to set out lighting a fire. "I was terrified we would have to spend a night in the woods. It's nice to have four walls." He says offhandedly to Enthilza. As he works he picks over the pile over the wood looking for one that might be large enough to carve a club out of.

Search:[roll0]

Strawberries
2010-05-02, 10:05 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza nods "It really is" she says with a slight smile "And to have something to eat and drink, as well" she adds, passing him the wineskin and half of the bread. She frowns a little, then, thinking. "Should we take turns in sleeping? I'm not sure how safe the barricade is..." she looks uncertain.

WarBrute
2010-05-02, 11:11 AM
Glyn

Glyn takes a drink from the wineskin thinking to himself. He swallows and nods. "It's probably for the best." He turns back to working on the fire. "I can take the first shift."

dresdor
2010-05-02, 05:24 PM
Glyn finds a piece of wood that should work well for a club. As Enthilza settles down for bed, a wolf's howl can be heard on the wind. Whether this is a good or bad omen is uncertain. Where there are wolves there can't be ravenous villagers, right?

WarBrute
2010-05-02, 08:32 PM
Glyn

Glyn sighs, the wine and the warmth from the fire loosening the tensions from the past days. He holds out the wood in front of carefully inspecting it. Then he starts working away at it with his knife. While he works he tries to stay alert of any noises outside of their cabin.

If nothing happens during his shift he gently wakes up Enthilza for her shift.

Craft Woodworking: [roll0]

Strawberries
2010-05-03, 03:47 PM
Enthilza

Before settling for sleep, Enthilza quietly whispers a prayer to Selena, thanking her for the aid given in times of need and asking for guidance in the future days. Then she finds a somewhat clean spot on the floor and tries to get some rest, jumping only a little when she hears the howling, more in surprise than in fear.

If nothing happens during Glyn's watch, I'm going to roll for my shift. Also, I think I can prepare my spells when I wake up, correct?

dresdor
2010-05-12, 07:21 AM
The night is tense, and passes slowly. Every noise seems to be indicative of the vile creatures attacking. However, the night does pass, and with the dawn brings a sense of new hope. If you can survive one night without dying violently, maybe there is hope that some of your friends and family made it through this...then again maybe not.

Glyn manages to whittle a club of fair quality out of a piece of firewood.

WarBrute
2010-05-12, 04:39 PM
Glyn

Glyn shakes his head as he wakes. He lets out a yawn. "Honestly I'm shocked nothing happened last night..." He gives his new club a practice swing, before going to a window and looking out at the new day, and what terrors it had for them.

Spot:[roll0]
listen:[roll1]

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 10:23 AM
Enthilza

Enthilza gives him a small smile, but doesn't reply. She closes her eyes a moment, silently asking her goddess for guidance. Then, she gets up from where she sat, joining Glyn at the window. "We should go, soon" she says "What...should we try to convince the man in that house to come with us?"

Allright, spells for today...
Level 0
Guidance (2)
Light

Level 1
Magic Stone

Protection from evil Disregard, I forgot that the "+1" was the domain slot...
Summon monster 1

Domain slot
Cure light wounds

I hope I haven't messed up too badly...I'm new to this "cleric" thing :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and also [roll0] [roll1]

WarBrute
2010-05-14, 11:00 AM
Glyn

Glyn looks down at the nick in his arm from where the bolt hit him. It had healed over during the night but there would be scar. He remains silent before, "It would be helpful if we could convince him... He does have a weapon after all and he may have more." He turns from the window, "Though I don't fancy being shot at again."

Current Power points: 2/2
+1 hp from natural healing
Which brings Current hp= 5/8

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 12:59 PM
Gaah, I'm so sorry, I somehow hanaged to forgot you were injuried. Since I'm likely to do it again, could you please tell that to me IC or OOC? Also I did mess up my spells, not considering my domain slot. I'm fixing it now

"Oh, gods. I forgot about that. Are you well? Let me see" Enthilza gets nearer to examine Glyn's wounds. "I'm...not sure what to do. I'm going to ask Selena for help. I've seen some priest do this" she says uncertainly, closing her eyes and whispering something

You guessed it: Cure light wounds (domain Slot) on Glyn [roll0]

WarBrute
2010-05-14, 04:09 PM
Glyn

Glyn looks down in amazement as his wounds. "I've... I've never been healed by a goddess before." He looks up and says, "Though you've been hurt yourself too. Those things back there gave you a few good hits. You should be sure to take care of yourself as well."

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 04:37 PM
Enthilza

She nods. "It worked. I...wasn't sure. Selena is with us" she whispers, amazed. She steps back, closing her eyes again and whispering another quick prayer to her deity, this time for herself.

Cure minor wound (using one of the 0-level spells) which coupled with the +2 (+1) of natural healing should bring me to full hp. If I'm not forgetting some other damage :smallwink:.
EDIT: I mistakenly typed +2 instead of +1. Not that it changes much (I was at hp 7/9), but...

To summarize:
hp: 9/9
level 0 spells: Guidance (1); Light
Level 1 spells: Magic Stone; Summon monster 1

WarBrute
2010-05-17, 01:06 AM
Glyn

Glyn smiles, still a bit unsure who this Selena was. His parents hadn't been religious, in fact, most religious people wanted them burned. Not that Glyn blamed them. His parents were strange, insane. Needless to say he was glad to be gone from them.

Glyn pulls his mind from the past and focuses on the present. "Well, there's no reason to stay here any longer." He says heading for the door, "We can stop by the loons hideout to see if he has come to any sense"

Sorry about not posting sooner! I missed your last post!

Strawberries
2010-05-17, 03:03 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza can't help but feel a sense of wonder. She had known, theoretically, that what she just did is possible for people who pledge themselves to deities. But it's one thing to know, another to experience it.

She follows Glyn out, nodding at his words.

dresdor
2010-05-17, 09:32 PM
The two of you are healed up by the Goddess, and search through the town for the loony guy's house. At first you think you got lost, but then you realize that the formerly barricaded house has been ripped to shreds. The only remains you can find are a bloody spot with a broken crossbow, and several bolts stuck through the walls.

WarBrute
2010-05-18, 09:42 AM
Glyn

"*EXPLETIVE,*" Glyn whispers. "I guess we were the lucky ones last night. This could have been easily us..." He rubs his eyes. He walks over to were the bolt are sticking out of the wall and tries to pull them out, thinking they might be salvageable.

Strawberries
2010-05-18, 03:46 PM
Enthilza

Enthilza has gone very pale. He was inside, and armed, and still it wasn't enough... but she doesn't voice her thoughts. Instead, she says "We should go soon. There's nothing here any more", before helping Glyn to look around the house.

[roll0]

WarBrute
2010-05-18, 04:42 PM
Might as well through in a search check as well-

[roll0]