PDA

View Full Version : How should I make this more durable without much cheese?

Brendan
2010-02-07, 10:05 PM
so, I am creating a backup character for a campaign I am in, and I think what I have is fairly good, but overall has some faults. I already rolled and did so well, and decided on my class. as a sixth level character, I am wizard 5/wild mage 1, and have no book restrictions, but no magazines or obscure third party books. We can access almost all of the normal ones. Anyway. I need some help coming up with ways to avoid having constant fear of fireballs. Is there a race that gats a plus to int. with no LA with no minus to con?
are my feats and items sensible?
I just need basic ironing out.
here is the sheet: Thanks! (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=183932)

Altima
2010-02-07, 10:12 PM
I believe there's a quasi-genasi race out there that is, basically, a genasi without the Outsider status, and I think a fire variant would have a bonus to intelligence and minus to charisma and wisdom.

faceroll
2010-02-07, 10:23 PM
Lesser tiefling: +2 int, +2 dex, -2 cha, no LA.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-07, 10:25 PM
You could be an Incantrix, and have a Persistent Protection from Energy (all 5 types) within a few levels.

CTLC
2010-02-07, 10:34 PM
planetouched races and incantarix are quite decidedly cheese. try to use tactics and planning more than build stuff if you are anti cheese. and checking crystal keep for races is easiest, just scroll down lookin at the ability adjustments. cant help more right now though, bed time.

The Glyphstone
2010-02-07, 10:34 PM
You could be an Incantrix, and have a Persistent Protection from Energy (all 5 types) within a few levels.

Resist Energy, you mean. No use Persisting Protection From Energy, since it still has a set amount of damage absorbed before it expires.

Brendan
2010-02-08, 08:05 AM
I'm not exactly anti-cheese. this will be used in a game so I don't want a DMG thrown at my skull. I want it to be powerful without completely blowing the other casters out of the water. To test the DM I asked if I could buy a candle of invocation and if I could use it, and he said yes. I didn't, but this means he would not be completely aware of the light cheese, but he is an optimizer himself, so he can spot a wizard who deals 100d% a round with no miss chance.
The magic-effected feats in UA- are they any good?

Starbuck_II
2010-02-08, 08:09 AM
Resist Energy, you mean. No use Persisting Protection From Energy, since it still has a set amount of damage absorbed before it expires.

But doesn't either spell count as a same spell for stacking rules so they don't?

Same spell different effects issue.

Prime32
2010-02-08, 09:13 AM
The magic-effected feats in UA- are they any good?Not particularly. The alter self one is interesting on someone who managed to UMD an item of alter self, and the lightning rod one could work if you can heal from lightning, but apart from that...