PDA

View Full Version : The Six Swords

Squeejee
2010-02-08, 12:43 AM
In the distance looms a Tower of stone and steel. Black and grey, flanked on all sides by forboding clouds of rain and raven. The tower claws at the sky with four long conical spires, which come together and flow downward into the cylindrical body of the tower. Each of its innumerable windows comes to a sharp skyward point, and seem to spiral down the length of the tower's body. Six flying butresses support the immense size of the structure from all sides, forming pikes of thier own that seem to rend the air asunder.

The land supporting the tower is somewhat contrasting. Lush grass covers rolling hills that flank the tower on all sides, and they - along with trees - form the logical path up to the tower's base. But, though your eyes take in all of these features, your mind is dominated by just one of them.

Orcs, beyond mortal number, have assembled among the trees. Thier feet stamp the grass to dirt, and thier voices rise to deafening crescendo in not but thier own vile language. Thier purpose is unknown, but one thing is obvious: it holds dire consequences for Men and Elves alike.

One hero stands before a door set into a hill, 500 yards away from the base of the tower. The door itself is iron, with grooves set for what was once an elaborate gold leaf depiction of Corellon Larethian. The hero rises from his notes, having just finished translating the runes from Elven:

"Chaos allows passage."

He stands slowly, pondering the meaning of this, when he hears movement behind him. He turns, a number of Orcs - apparently late to the party - have just noticed him. The Hero draws his sword, and finds that its magic allows him to match thier numbers.

Situation

The party stands side-to-side, facing 6 Orcs. There is a cliff face too steep to easily climb to the party's back, preventing escape, but no other terrain features within the 30 feet between you and the orcs. Behind the orcs are trees. Your current objective is to enter the door, which leads to tunnels that will allow relatively safe access to the tower beyond.

Roll initiative.

OOC

Aaand here we go! I hope you don't mind being thrown right in media res with only an objective. I'll assemble maps once you get inside the dungeon, but for now there's nothing of note except the fact that your backs are to a wall.

Velvet Pillow
2010-02-08, 01:06 AM
(Okay, rolling Initiative...)

[roll0]

BobElliot
2010-02-08, 06:23 AM
Reckless
Initiative:
[roll0]

I find that... funny.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-08, 06:24 AM
(Rollin' 'nitiative. Gotta go to school before I can actually do anything, though.)

[roll0]

crazedloon
2010-02-08, 12:08 PM
Green

[roll0]
I assume we split with the drawing of the weapon so I can't have drawn the bow :smalltongue:

Woodsman
2010-02-08, 12:36 PM
Red
[roll0]

Scoot
2010-02-08, 06:04 PM
Brown
Initiative
[roll0]

Squeejee
2010-02-08, 08:07 PM
With a roar, their commander indicates the Hero - now six. However, in his confusion over where the other five came from, can do little but gesture as the hero's react to his appearance.

Turn Order
Blue, Green, Violet, Red, Orc Sgt., Brown, Orcs, Orange

As you can see, I'm rolling all of *my* dice behind a GM's screen :smalltongue:

The Hero(s?) react first, though Orange is somewhat overcome by the moment and hesitates.

OOC
For the record, it would be helpful if you preface each of your posts with your character name. The format you put your actions / die rolls / fluff text in doesn't really matter, I'll figure it out.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-08, 08:48 PM
Blue

Blue is stunned and confused. Just a moment ago, he had been one... now he is several? Blue shakes off his confusion for now and adopts a defensive stance behind his shield.

Total Defense Action, +6 dodge bonus to AC

crazedloon
2010-02-08, 09:49 PM
Green

Green confused at his new duplicates drops the sword in the ground where it sinks a foot before standing upright. He recovers as he draws his bow and plants an arrow in the apparent leader.

free action to drop the sword
move action to draw the bow
[roll0]
[roll1]
if evil
[roll2]

Velvet Pillow
2010-02-08, 10:10 PM
Violet, who should really come up with a name for herself when she gets the time.

The Hero's head shook. Something felt odd... something felt... different... she was out? The Violet Hero looked down briefly, the warped appearance greeting her sight answered her question. She was out! All of that ceaseless holding back, and she was finally out! Elated, Violet looked back at the Orcs, paying little attention to the others around her. She grinned from ear to ear, staring down the Orcs as her legs started moving unbidden. With a whooping cry, Violet barreled at the Orcs, taking a swing at the closest one she could get to.

(Charge attempt, attack roll:

[roll0]

Damage roll:

[roll1])

Squeejee
2010-02-08, 11:08 PM
Green

The arrow lodges itself square in the Orc sergeant's gut, though he remains standing.

Violet

You charge directly at Orc #2, but your sword only makes a minor cut into his arm.

Damage Report

Orc Sergeant: -16
Orc #1:
Orc #2: -5
Orc #3:
Orc #4:
Orc #5:

Notes

Don't forget to include all of your bonuses, people!

Velvet, you have 14 STR and a +1 sword, for 1d8+3 damage, not +1.

Crazed, you bow is not only holy, but +1.

I mean, if you want to short change yourselves, go ahead, but it won't make things easier ^^

Velvet Pillow
2010-02-09, 12:42 AM
(Sorry, thanks for letting me know, Squeejee. I'm still learning a lot.)

Woodsman
2010-02-09, 11:36 AM
Red

Red simply shrugs, drawing the Rod of Fire and blasting the orcs. He wants the battle over quickly, deciding to risk more charges from the item.

Fireball effect, CL 15, Reflex DC 15 half damage
(The effect is aimed at the intersection between the orcs so that all are encompassed)
Damage:[roll0]

Squeejee
2010-02-09, 01:16 PM
The Orcs attempt to avoid the blast:

Orc Sgt: Succeeds save.
Orc #1: Fails Save
Orc #2: Fails Save
Orc #3: Succeeds Save
Orc #4: Succeeds Save
Orc #5: Fails Save

Damage Report

Orc Sgt: Down
Orc #1: Down
Orc #2: Down
Orc #3: -8
Orc #4: -8
Orc #5: Down

Notes

Violet charged ahead, and is caught in the blast. One reflex save, please. And with the Sgt down, next up is Brown.

Woodsman
2010-02-09, 02:57 PM
Ah, whoops. Suppose that's part of being absent-minded, I suppose. Sorry, Vi

Velvet Pillow
2010-02-09, 03:00 PM
(>.< Son of a...)

[roll0]

(So does this mean I get out? Am I therefore entitled to the fluff of dodging and chewing my trigger happy companion out?)

Edit: Wait, no... I get half damage... let me calculate here...

Edit Edit: Okay, half damage leaves me at 10 HP... >.> Jerk...

Squeejee
2010-02-09, 04:03 PM
Damage Report

Violet takes 8 damage!
Red loses karma!

OOC

lol, it's good for RP. Also, when I start posting a battle grid every time I update, it'll be easier to keep track of these things.

Scoot
2010-02-09, 07:32 PM
Brown

Even after seeing a majority of the orcs fall, Brown is still wary.

He raises his shield and creeps towards the 4th orc, preparing to strike if it moves any closer.

I ready an action to attack the 4th orc if it comes within range. I believe I am now about 20-15ft in front of it, as I had to move diagonaly to get in front of it. I moved my full 20ft.

Squeejee
2010-02-09, 08:18 PM
Of the two remaining Orcs, one remains beligerrent. He charges into the warrior who cast the fireball, while the other turns and flees. His shouts are drowned out in the general noise filling the valley, but his flight should not be taken lightly.

Actions

Orc #3 charges into Red, drawing his Falchion as he does so. He swings, but misses.

Orc #4 turns and runs into the trees - because of thier number, he cannot sprint, but he is now 70 feet away from the PCs (only 40 from Violet) and has partial cover from ranged attacks.

BobElliot
2010-02-09, 08:31 PM
Reckless:
The most disoriented, as he is usually the hardest suppressed (he was against common sense, after all), orange finally recovers and charges towards orc #3 (assuming wherever it is, it's not 50 ft away).
Finally, a chance to attack!

[roll0]
charge attack (I count 2BAB, 2charge, 3 str, -2 trait,-2 pwr attack)
change that to a 18; forgot to add the extra -2 from pwr attack, and the +1
damage, just in case
[roll1]
(3 str, 2 trait, 2 pwr attack)
this should likewise be a 15

Squeejee
2010-02-09, 08:44 PM
Orange's sword digs into Orc #3's back, dropping the warrior.

Damage Report

Orc Sgt: Down
Orc #1: Down
Orc #2: Down
Orc #3: Down
Orc #4: -8 Fleeing
Orc #5: Down

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-09, 09:25 PM
Blue

Blue keeps his shield raised, even though the direct danger appears to have passed. He looks to the Green version of himself and motions as if telling him to go after the fleeing foe, or at least shoot an arrow at him. While doing this, he positions himself to be able to open the door when the opportunity arises.

crazedloon
2010-02-09, 09:58 PM
Green

Green eyes the running orc before Stringing another arrow and letting it fly. He waits to see if the orc falls before chasing the orc.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

if the orc does not hit the dirt I will use a move action to follow. 30ft move action

Squeejee
2010-02-09, 10:52 PM
Green's arrow plants itself squarely in the ground at the fleeting orc's feet.

Velvet Pillow
2010-02-10, 08:18 PM
Oh hey it's Violet's turn again!

Violet whipped back and glared at the other hers, unsure who had almost incinerated her. When the other orc started to flee, however, she made a point to try and catch it. Breaking out into a sprint, the female aspect of the Hero pursued the Orc, attempting to catch it with her sword before it could get too far away.

Assuming I can get to the Orc by running, and assuming that the woods will not let me Charge. So, normal attack...

Attack Roll: [roll0]

Damage Roll: [roll1]

Cinnamon Rolls: Yummy!

Squeejee
2010-02-11, 02:04 AM
Violet catches up to the orc but, as she winds back her sword, a deafening explosion erupts from the direction of the tower. The shockwaves send all of the Heros to the ground, and thier swords into the air.

A third shockwave brings with it an aura of electricity, which collides with all six of the swords in a blinding display. The electricity courses all around the heroes, but seems to avoid them, as if the Six Sword had projected shields around each of them. The electricity continues to fly around the heroes, until thier swords turn red and, just as soon as it had started, the phenomena stops.

Thier is a dead silence in the air. As Violet looks up, she sees that the Orc she had chased down is lying on the ground, dead. The other five look to each other, for the first time seeing eachother as individuals - no longer an extension of themselves, but strangers. Thier swords lie on the ground, smoldering and hot to the touch.

One thing is certain for each of the heros: whatever's going on, there's not much time left. Thier attention turns to the door.

Encounter Report

The heroes win!
The Six Sword has lost its power.
Red holds the title for most damage dealt.
Red holds the title for most damage averted.
Violet holds the title for most damage taken.
Nobody holds the title for most clever.
Nobody holds the title for best strategy.
Violet holds the title for best RP.

Notes

If you're wondering what all of this "karma" stuff is, it's basically how I'll decide who gets bonus XP at the end of each chapter. Those are the current standings - but as the mission progresses, the positions will change mbased on your actions, and I'm quite certain that with a few more encounters, most of those positions will change. I also give out bonus karma (and karma penalties) as the situation warrants.

Like I said at the beginning, you will have to work together to overcome the challenges within each chapter, but there is a definite advantage to standing out a bit (granted, if you get yourself killed, that's very bad).

Situational Reminder

Your path is blocked by a door, on which the words "Chaos allows passage" has been inscribed. The door leads into a system of caves that lead into the base of the Tower, where your main objective awaits somewhere within. You have been given maps of the tower and the caves, so once inside, it shouldn't be too hard to find your way around.

Your main objective? An artifact known as the Battery, whose powers you have not been told.

Also, when the Hero practiced with the Six Sword before setting out on his adventure, he was able to re-form into one as soon as he sheathed the sword. But with the sword's magic broken...

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-11, 09:56 AM
Blue, after getting up, is cautious. The realization of the current situation has just hit him. He's not quite sure exactly what's happened, and is a bit worried for his safety. He raises his shield cautiously so as to block any attacks, should they happen. After a few moments of silence, Blue speaks. "Am I the only one who has only the vaguest idea of what has happened here?"

(Should it matter, Blue will be in Total Defense.)

BobElliot
2010-02-11, 10:27 AM
Orange is visably disappointed that combat should end so soon. Pity I only got to one of them... he then crouches down, holding his hand near the hilt of his sword, waiting for it to cool enough for him to pick up.
Upon hearing the very voice that would always tell him to calm down, Orange looks up at Blue. My my, always the self righteous worryer. Why don't you tell us then, if you know so much? he then sighs, and speaks with a calmer, happier tone. It appears that I no longer have to worry about "being safe" or "taking caution." I am my own person now!

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-11, 11:15 AM
Blue rolls his eyes. Orange obviously didn't hear his question properly, but it didn't really matter much, he could figure it out with the others. Blue also moves to pick up his sword after it cools, but sheathes it. After this, he remembers his... or their task to get the battery. He looks to the door, hesitant. The Battery is important, but the shock waves could be proof that it is not safe in the tunnels.

crazedloon
2010-02-11, 02:04 PM
Green

Green turns heel and swiftly returns to the group and picks his sword of carefully and slides it into his sheath.

Whatever happened is in the past we need not worry about it. However we need to focus on what we will be doing to get through this door. It said something about chaos, Do we not have a rod which produces nothing but chaos. It may very well be the key to our end goal.

Green seems agitated that they have been standing still for so long ignoring their task.

BobElliot
2010-02-11, 02:19 PM
Orange
Perhaps we should just try the door. After all, that big boom we just witnessed was pretty chaotic. As he is saying this, he walks over to the door and jerks on the handle.

Squeejee
2010-02-11, 05:15 PM
The door is a circular stone set into the cliff face, with four door handles set in an X around its perimeter. As you attempt to roll it to either side, the door does not budge, even a little.

BobElliot
2010-02-11, 05:20 PM
Orange
Somebody come help me with this! I can't move it by myself, and there's room for more! he shifts his grip to the handle on the right

crazedloon
2010-02-11, 05:27 PM
Green

I doubt this will work

Green rolled his eyes but move to the right and grabbed the other handle and attempted to help roll the door.

Velvet Pillow
2010-02-11, 11:19 PM
Oh hai I'm Violet

Violet quietly made her way back to the others in their now seemingly permenant group. She wanted nothing more right now then to celebrate her new freedom, it could get awfully crowded in a man's head, especially one as masculine as the Hero. However, at the moment there were bigger problems.

"Which one of us has our Rod of Wonder?" She asked her male companions, barely noticing her now pointed ears as she ran a hand through her blonde hair. "I'd say that's a source of chaos."

Scoot
2010-02-11, 11:52 PM
Brown

"Which one of us has our Rod of Wonder?"

"I carry the rod of which you speak, and I too believe it may hold the key to our passage, if you wish to activate it I will not object."

Brown then takes a moment to adress the concerns of his other companions.

"It would appear that we have been blessed, we have been given the chance to multiply, and it has already been proven useful"

He pauses,

"Fharlanghn only knows how long this will last, and I say we make the best of it."

Woodsman
2010-02-12, 09:38 PM
Red

"If I may, I suggest we find some way to identify ourselves. Color seems appropriate enough," Red suggests.

"I mean, we can't exactly all use the same name, now can we? Things would get muddled, and we'd probably end up calling each other by color anyway."

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-13, 09:27 PM
Blue simply shrugs. "Color seems fine." He doesn't help with the door, less something happen. He still keeps his shield at the ready.

Squeejee
2010-02-14, 01:12 AM
(in the interest of keeping things rolling)

After much struggling against the round door, it refuses to budge, even a little. Brown finally decides that pushing is hopeless and goes with Green's (and Vio's) idea and produces his Rod of Wonder. He presses it against the door and, in a flash of multicolered light, the door slides back, and then left, into the wall, revealing a dark hallway.

Dark for a moment, and then torches along the wall alight, in order. As if the flame was flying down the long hallway, and then ending at another door. This one, however, bears no inscription, only handles. As you approach it, the main door behind you closes, leaving only the light from the wall torches to see by.

The walls those torches are set on are sterile, marble walls that arch overhead. They flow into the floor at a perfect 90 degree angle, which is marble as well. The door has blue grooves built into it, forming a flowing pattern that resembles vines and leaves. Some of the grooves seem to flow from blue to red as you walk over them, turning the leaves into roses, and then the roses turn back to leaves as the blue color reasserts itself.

As the door shuts, the ambient noise from outside ceases completely, leaving an almost reverent silence.

Notes

I'll need a marching order as you proceed down the hallway. It's 10 feet wide, so you can stand next to someone if you want.

Scoot
2010-02-20, 02:07 PM
Brown

Brown bows his head slightly,

"O Fharlanghn protect us as we enter the unknown, it is in your name that we press on through these mysterious lands"

And then lifts it back up to shout,

"Come my brothers! Let this door hold no secrets!"

He pauses and thinks,

"And sister."

And then shoves the door with all his might.

Squeejee
2010-02-20, 04:22 PM
As your hands close around the door handles, the blue grooves set into the door resembling vines suddenly turn yellow, as if to depict lightning, and a pain you've never felt before shoots through your hands.

OOC

You know, even untrained and without trapfinding, you can find ones with less than 20 DC. Reflex save, please.

Scoot
2010-02-20, 08:57 PM
Roll
Reflex[roll0]

Squeejee
2010-03-02, 05:51 AM
Brown hops away from the door reflexively, avoiding the worst of the jolt that surges through the handle. After a few moments of violent crackling, the electric pulse ends, and the design of leaves on the door fades, along with the patterns running on the floor and wall.

Damage Report

Brown takes 3 lightning damage!

On a second attempt, the door rolls left without incident, revealing a 40' x 25' room. One door, to you left, is sized to a slightly shorter-than-average medium creature, while the other door, directly ahead of you, is a large pair of iron double-doors that sport an intricate carving of the three Godesses making the world.

Littering the floor between you and that door is debris, and signs of a fierce struggle. Four skeletal corpses, of apparantly human origin, litter the floor, stripped of anything valuable and mingled among the remains of a table and chairs.

As you step into the room, the tiles glow once again with the same pattern of shifting energy, forming a kind of "vine" that leads to the double-doors directly accross from you.

According to your information, you should be able to reach the tower by simply following a straight path through the tunnel, though there are various other rooms to this tower.

MAP

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv209/Squeejee09/Six%20Swords/path4262-1-4.png

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-03, 08:42 PM
((If'n you don't mind me putting this in before we move on past the door. Just a tiny tidbit, so I don't imagine you would.))

Blue stiffens as Brown, when he jumps back, inadvertently knocks into his shield. He pushes Brown back forward a bit, very slightly, just to try and make sure he is able to use his shield fully if needed.

((And for now...))

Blue looks carefully around Brown into the room. "I think we should examine this door before we do anything. It would be unfortunate if something happened again."

crazedloon
2010-03-03, 10:41 PM
Green

Do as you wish blue but we must move on

green stands tense his bow in hand and an arrow knocked ready to be drawn.

Scoot
2010-03-03, 10:49 PM
Brown

"I'm afraid I must concur with green, this door has been passed, we must move on. However, we should be more careful as we continue, all doors from now on should be searched."

Brown then eyes his slightly burnt hand,

"Nothing too serious ... "

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-09, 05:47 PM
Blue sighs. It seems his allies have a nasty habit of misunderstanding him far too often. "Hopefully, it shan't become a problem..." he thinks to himself.

((Actually, Blue said we should be careful with the next door, not the door we already opened. :smalltongue:

Also, don't tell me this is dying. I thought it was a really good concept. :smallfrown:))

crazedloon
2010-03-09, 05:49 PM
Green

Green grows impatient at the delays.

Who shall be opening the next door, or do I need to do everything myself?