PDA

View Full Version : What sorts of ammunition is there?(3.5)

DarkEternal
2010-02-08, 07:09 AM
My ranger keeps buying arrows naturally, and from time to time I thought to give him different sorts of arrows. Basically, my question is where can I find what sort of enhancements arrows can have on them? I skipped it in the PhB and DM's guide probably, so if someone can direct me to that(or any different book) that would be grand. I'm tired of giving him frost-flame-shock arrows all the time. I think he has one Bane arrow too and one Slaying arrow.

Side question: Also, anyone know a good book that details other races besides the usual fluff of DnD(humans,dwarves etc.). I know that some players in my group expressed a wish to play a different race then the normal fluff, so I just would want if there was somewhere where I can find a book with statistics and lore behind races(be they monstrous or not) for them to know what they're getting themselves into.

Thanks!

hamishspence
2010-02-08, 07:34 AM
There are a lot of race-based sourcebooks- but they tend to deal with the core races, and add one new race per book. Races of The Dragon has a new race, a new template, and one monster race- Spellscale, Dragonborn (template) Kobold.

Races of Stone, Dwarves, Gnomes, Goliaths (new)
Races of the Wild, Elves, Halflings, Raptorans (new)
Races of Destiny, humans, half-elves, half orcs, illumians (new)

Races of Eberron doesn't though- it deals with the three new Eberron races (changling, warforged, kalashtar)

Races of Faerun despite being theoretically a Faerun book, deals with a lot of monstrous races as well as the core ones, and can really be used in any setting.

Serpent Kingdoms (another Faerun book) has details on yuan-ti, naga, troglodytes, and the like.

Malacode
2010-02-08, 07:38 AM
RoTW also has new ammunition, I think. Special arrows of some kind, nonmagical. Might be worth your while.

oxinabox
2010-02-08, 08:20 AM
New races - this is why i love the planar handbook.
A metric Ton of new races.
Most of whom don't have much LA.
iirc Wildren is LA0 and is awesomly differnt from anything core - it has a burrow speed, and a automatic language proficency in badger!

Planar hand book also bosts a stack of spells, and PrC's and ACF's.

(savage species if you don't mind 3.0 content's not bad either)

hamishspence
2010-02-08, 08:32 AM
The hard part isn't so much finding new races, as finding books that "flesh out" the new races in depth, going into detail on their societies, how they work, how the members of the race treat each other, and so on.

Savage Species is late 3.0- skills were beginning to be redesigned. The "monster class" rules, and the PRCs often have problems, being too strong or too weak.

I like the background though- a "evil beings can be nice to people of their in-group- but are nasty to those outside it" bit, and several possible ways "monster society" and "non-monster society" can interact:

Lawful Accepting (monsters are in charge)
Lawful Rejecting (monsters are slaves)
Chaotic Accepting (monsters are treated as full members of society)
Chaotic Rejecting (monsters are usually attacked on sight)

On ammunition- Champions of Ruin has some nice spells for rangers, several of which can be incorporated into ammunition enhancements, like Splitting (bolt/arrow splits in two just before hitting target- both hit.)

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-08, 08:47 AM
I've seen a nice spell to cast on arrows that have splitting on them. It turns arrows/bolts into small sized vipers after they hit. I think it was in CoR.

hamishspence
2010-02-08, 08:48 AM
Serpent Kingdoms. Wasn't a ranger spell though, unfortunately, but a wizard/sorcerer one. Does allow you to do what Thulsa Doom did in the Conan movie, though.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-08, 08:54 AM
Serpent Kingdoms. Wasn't a ranger spell though, unfortunately, but a wizard/sorcerer one. Does allow you to do what Thulsa Doom did in the Conan movie, though.

I thought their was a way to add Wiz/sorc spells to the ranger list?

Something else for ammunition: Razorwings are birds with metal feathers that, when used to make arrows, makes them keen. Either in MM4 or 5.

hamishspence
2010-02-08, 08:57 AM
If so, that would go quite well with some rangers.

I think it was MMIV that had Steelwings.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-08, 09:08 AM
Yes, Steelwings, not Razorwings. My bad on that.

Now if I remeber, you had to worship some Faerun goddess and take a feat or some such, and it allowed you to prepare wiz/sorc spells in your ranger slots. You still needed to get your own book though.

Hmm... what other wiz/sorc spells are arrow friendly? Flame Arrow, any others?

hamishspence
2010-02-08, 09:10 AM
Launch Bolt (something like that) in Spell Compendium enables you to launch an arrow or bolt of any size without the need for a bow.

DarkEternal
2010-02-08, 10:28 AM
I see. Like I said, I ask more to spice up his ammunition since I have a feeling he's getting bored just saying Rapid Shot all the time.

I already put in a Grease Arrow(no idea if that really exists, I more or less stole that one from the Thief series, basically it creates a slippery area and each 5 feet in the area that an enemy of friend makes, they must make a Balance check or fall Prone).

As for the races, it would be great just to have some sort of list with pros and cons of each race, and then when I see them to find more about the history, and tell them how they would have to play that race if they want to keep their head on their shoulders when arriving in bigger, human towns or something

arguskos
2010-02-08, 11:02 AM
And again, we have Dragon Compendium to the rescue!! :D

It has a handful of fun non-magical arrows and bolts:
-Arrow, Blunt: deals non-lethal damage.
-Arrow, Flight: goes farther.
-Arrow, Signal: emulates a specific bird call.
-Arrow, Smoke: deals no damage, but makes a cloud of smoke where it lands.
-Arrow, Thunder: has a thunderstone on the end.
-Bolt, Shatter: bolt made from glass, has a crit range of 18-20/x3. :smalleek:

As for races, the Dragon Compendium has five new ones!
-Diabloi: A race of anarchists from a demiplane, feared by humans, but truly rather kind spirited.
-Diposid: A race of multi-armed underground dwelling insects that communicate with one another via phosphorescent lights and can wield massive weapons thanks to their multiple arms.
-Dvati: A race of dual-bodied individuals. Each dvati is one soul split into a pair of identical twins.
-Lupin: A race of anthropomorphic wolves with a strong and furious hatred of lycanthropes.
-Tibbit: A race of halfling-like humanoids that can shapeshift into a housecat, with all the benefits that brings!

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-08, 11:16 AM
Oooh! Shatt(n)er bolts! I like! Gonna use those the next time I cast a reached, inadvisable, Chained launch bolt. pewpewpew! :biggrin:

Crystal keep is best for races.

Splendor
2010-02-09, 12:47 AM
Crystal Keep always has answers to questions....
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf

Starting on page 25.