PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Campaign Theme Debate

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-08, 09:01 AM
I'm running a new campaign, and I am caught between two rarely unseen dilema:

I can't choose between either a Dragon or Undead-focused campaign.

The Undead is centered on a Ravenloft-esq backdrop where Strahd, a redone version pioneered by the late AGG32, has caused Armageddon via the "perfect undead."

The Dragon is more of all of the PCs gain the Half-Dragon Template/Dragontouched and must face dragons who have a tyrannical rule over the world of Eberron. (cheesy, but awesome pawesome)

This is my first campaign, so forgive me. Which should I go for?

BooNL
2010-02-08, 09:44 AM
Why not do both, undead dragons rock :smallbiggrin:.

That said. There are a couple of questions you can ask yourself:
Which of these campaigns do you feel most comfortable running?
What level range are you planning for? Most undead campaigns can be run from level 1. Killing dragons might be something reserved from level 5 and onwards.
Are you any good at horror? Ravenloft is more about atmosphere and setting than pure danger. Your players have to *feel* scared, not act it. This can be difficult to achieve.

Also, you can also flat out ask your players which of the two they'd prefer. Could be as simple as: "Guys, answer me this: zombies or dragons?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-08, 09:59 AM
Give them the best of both worlds +1:

Zombie Viking Dragons

EDIT: In all seriousness, if its your first time, I would go with undead. They are fun and can give you a lot of very interesting twists, as well as help set your players on edge.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-02-08, 10:17 AM
Ask your players.

And plan for both.

Just because dragons are the major powers in the world doesn't mean that they have total domination - there could be a hidden world of vampire overlords plotting the downfall of the dragons and the rise of the undead, or an open undead nation engaged in diplomacy with the dragons...
...or the other way round: dragon-born, half-dragons and other draconic heroes teaming up with the oppressed mortals to throw off the undead - and usher in a new age of draconic domination.

Fishy
2010-02-08, 12:00 PM
For my money, any time you get two factions fighting for control of an area with the PCs caught in the middle, fun stuff happens.

Grommen
2010-02-08, 12:13 PM
Ya know both would be interesting. But I think if this is your first campaign I would pick one. My pick would be Dragons. Might be a little tougher fights, but dragons a more straight forward in their motivations. Well most of them any how.

Totally Guy
2010-02-08, 12:20 PM
Would your players use the word "Zombie" a lot?

If so go with a dragon. Once someone starts saying zombie on a regular basis zombies can no longer be taken seriously.:smalltongue:

Altima
2010-02-08, 01:11 PM
Zombie Apocalypse versus Elder Dragons?

Sure, they'll protect you from the rampaging horde. You just have to give up your free will, treasure, freedom, and any other semblance of autonomy. But on the bright side, you might be bred. On the dark side, you might be bred.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-08, 02:25 PM
Why not do both, undead dragons rock :smallbiggrin:.

That said. There are a couple of questions you can ask yourself:
Which of these campaigns do you feel most comfortable running?
What level range are you planning for? Most undead campaigns can be run from level 1. Killing dragons might be something reserved from level 5 and onwards.
Are you any good at horror? Ravenloft is more about atmosphere and setting than pure danger. Your players have to *feel* scared, not act it. This can be difficult to achieve.

Also, you can also flat out ask your players which of the two they'd prefer. Could be as simple as: "Guys, answer me this: zombies or dragons?"

I: I am comfortable with both, since I've DMed a dungeon before, but never a full campaign.

II: 5th level gestalt, considering I'll most likely be throwing 6-7th level encounters like nobody's buisness

III: The dungeon I ran had some serious fear-effects. Annis Hag polymorphed into a Great Wyrm Shadow Dragon + Rotting Baby's Head + Poisoned Pineapple Upside-Down Cake = Horror