PDA

View Full Version : The Jury-Rigger (Factotum PrC)

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-08, 01:21 PM
The Jury-Rigger, Current Version:

Jury-Rigger
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Inspiration|
Spell Level|
Spells Per Day

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Arcane Dilettante, Cunning Knowledge, Inspiration, Jury-Rig|
3|
2|

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Spontaneous Creation (minor)|
4|
3|

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Bonus Feat|
5|
4|

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Analyze, Improvisation (1 per day)|
5|
4|

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Bonus Feat, Spontaneous Creation (major)|
6|
5|

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Cunning Smithy|
7|
6|

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Feat, Improvisation (2 per day)|
8|
7|

8th|+6|+2|+6|+2|Overload|
8|
7|

9th|+6|+3|+6|+3|Bonus Feat|
9|
8|

10th|+7|+3|+7|+3|Improvisation (3 per day), Spontaneous Creation (true)|
10|
8|
[/table]

Skill Requirements: Craft (any 2) 8 ranks each, Use Magic Device 8 ranks.
Feat Requirements: Any 2 item creation feats.

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The jury-rigger’s class skills are Appraisal, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Forgery, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Open Lock, Profession, Search, Slight of Hand, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
The jury-rigger gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Arcane Dilettante (Sp)
At first level, you gain a vague understanding as magic, especially as it relates to the construction of makeshift items. By spending 1 inspiration point, you can mimic a spell as a spell-like ability. At the start of each day, choose a number of spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list based on your jury-rigger level. You can choose two spells at first level, and you gain additional spells shown on the table. The maximum level of spell you can use, according to your class level, is also shown on the table. You can select any sorcerer/wizard spell up to that level, but you can prepare only one spell of your maximum level. Your caster level equals your level in this class plus your factotum and/or artificer levels (if you have any). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your spell is 10+ the spell level + your Int modifier.

Once you have used a spell, you cannont use it again until you have rested for 8 hours. After resting for this time, you choose new spells and lose any unused spells from the previous day, though you can select the same spell on the consecutive days. You cannont prepare the same spell multiple times to use it more than once during the same day. You cannot use spells that require an XP cost. You must otherwise provide the necessary material components as normal. If you wish to enhance a spell with a metamagic feat, you must apply the feat when you prepare the spell. In addition, you must be capable of using a spell of the modified spell's level.

If you already have the Arcane Dilletante class feature from another class, add the spells per day from both classes together to get your total spells per day and use the higher max spell level of the two classes to determine your max spell level.

Cunning Knowledge [Ex]
Jury-rigger levels and factotum levels stack for the purpose of the factotum's Cunning Knowledge class feature. If the jury-rigger has no factotum levels, he gains the Cunning Knowledge class feature and uses his jury-rigger level as factotum level.

Inspiration:
Starting at level 1, the jury-rigger gains an Inspiration pool which functions exactly as a Factotum's Inspiration pool. If the character already has an inspiration pool, add the two pools together to find effective Inspiration. Spending inspiration is a free action, unless a class feature says otherwise.

Jury-Rig (Su):
The jury-rigger gains the ability to make magic items on the fly at level 1. By utilizing his inspiration pool and prepared spell list, a jury-rigger can create almost any item on the fly. By spending a standard action and 1 inspiration point per 2500 gp in the base cost of item, he can create items for any situation. The jury-rigger must meet any feat requirements (such as item crafting and metamagic feats) to craft the item, and supply all necessary materials. If he has the necessary spells to craft the item prepared, he may expend them as part of that same standard action to complete the item. If he doesn't have the spell(s) required for the item prepared, he can instead use a UMD check at 20+spell level for each spell as move actions (if multiple are required they can spill into the next turn. The item is not created until all the necessary UMD checks are made.). If the UMD check fails, the jury-rig is unsuccessful and the inspiration points spent on it are wasted. Items created through the jury-rig special ability are rendered inert when the magic fades after one minute.

Spontaneous Creation (Sp):
By spending inspiration points the jury-rigger can literally create any item he needs. At second level he can create material as if through Minor Creation, at fifth level he can create material as if through Major Creation, and at tenth level he can create items as if through True Creation. Spontaneous Creation (minor) costs 1 inspiration point, Spontaneous Creation (major) costs 3 inspiration point, and Spontaneous Creation (true) costs 5 inspiration point. Each power can be used three times each day.

Improvisation (Su): Improvisation allows a jury-rigger to fine tune his equipment at a moments notice to suit his needs. By spending one inspiration point per spell level, the jury-rigger may switch spells on a wand or scroll to any other spell of the same level or lower. If he doesn't have the spell required for the item prepared, he can instead use a UMD check at 20+spell level as a move action. The change lasts for one minute per jury rigger level, after which the item reverts back to its original form (minus used charges). The jury-rigger must have the requisite craft item feat for whatever item he wants to use Improvisation on. At 4th level he can use Improvisation once per day, twice at 7th level, and three times at 10th level.

Analyze (Sp):
Starting at level 4, the jury-rigger can always spend 1 inspiration point to use the following spells as spell-like abilities, even if he hasn't prepared them: Detect Magic, Read Magic, and Identify.

Bonus Feats: Starting at 3rd level and every 2 levels after that, the jury-rigger gets to pick bonus feats from the following list: Any item crafting feat, any metamagic feat, Exceptional Artisan, Extra Rings, Extraordinary Artisan, Dual Wand Wielder, Legendary Artisan, and Skill Focus.

Cunning Smithy (Su):
As a standard action, the jury-rigger may change the enhancement bonus and equivalent abilities of a weapon, shield or piece of armor he is currently holding or wearing by spending inspiration points. The number of inspiration points he must spend is equal to the total equivalent bonus he wishes to change, and is limited by his Int modifier. For example, if he has a +2 elf bane cross bow, and wants a +2 Flaming cross bow, he must spend one inspiration point. If he wanted a +1 Flaming Burst cross bow, he would need to spend two inspiration points. In any case, the modified item returns to its original state after one minute or when the jury-rigger uses this ability again to change it back.

Overload (Sp)
Starting at 7th level, the jury-rigger learns how to release the powerful
energies locked inside magic items, causing them to fail catastrophically. By spending a full round action and 3 inspiration points, he may set an item to overload, mimicking the effects of a delayed-blast fireball centered on the item. He must be able to hold or manipulate the item with both hands for the entirety of the round for the Overload to be successful. The caster level of the delayed-blast fireball is equal to the jury-rigger's caster level, or the caster level of the overloaded item, whichever is lower, and the Difficulty Class of the saving throw is 16 + the jury rigger's Int modifier. The resulting explosion utterly destroys the overloaded item.

OP:

The idea is a prestige class that advances factotum inspiration, and spends that inspiration to create magic items on the fly. Sort of like a mad scientist/trouble shooter/artificer kind of thing. I want him to be more versatile than the artificer, and more spontaneous, but without the ability to create long-term gear for your entire party (which is what makes the artificer broken).

I am looking for ideas for class abilities and suggestions at what level those abilities should be granted to keep it balanced.

I am not very strong on the magic item creation rules or what balances them, so aid will be greatly appreciated.

I'd like the PrC to be enterable at level 6 with strait factotum, but I don't want Factotum to be necessary for the class.

Some ideas I already have:

Use Arcane Dilettante as spells known when creating items.

Bonus to Craft skill based on level Temporarily adding enhancements to weapons by spending inspiration points, max enhancement based on Int.

Changing the spells stored in scrolls, wands, staves etc. by spending inspiration.

Minor Creation line of spells as Su: abilities

Draz74
2010-02-08, 03:25 PM
It's a neat idea. I think I would like it better than the Artificer. Unfortunately,

I am not very strong on the magic item creation rules or what balances them,

Me neither.

Overshee
2010-02-08, 09:34 PM
Heh, how long has this been here?

Anyways, over in Roleplaying Games Lycanthromancer and I were brainstorming a mix between extreme versatility of chameleon and extreme improvisation of factotum and artificer. Our ideas were as follows:

More inspiration points (gets rid of need for a million "font of inspiration" feats)
Stops progression of all Factotum class features except arcane dilettante
Gives mechanism similar to an artificer's infusions (maybe sacrificing a spell from arcane dilettante to do so?)
Access to minor creation (still figuring out exactly how it will work)
"ability to switch one enchant to another for a short period (so you could spend X inspiration and change a +1 enchant to a different +1 enchant). You could also add a new enchant (but it would cost more inspiration), or change damage "Oh no, he's immune to fire? I'll just change my fiery burst to icy burst!""

See our entire discussion here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7850493#post7850493).

Eurus
2010-02-08, 10:14 PM
Not quite what you're looking for, but Djinn designed a prestige class for a barbarian/artificer, of all things, that creates temporary magic items while raging. You can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7045358). Maybe it'll give you some inspiration, no pun intended. :smallbiggrin:

Overshee
2010-02-08, 10:37 PM
Not quite what you're looking for, but Djinn designed a prestige class for a barbarian/artificer, of all things, that creates temporary magic items while raging. You can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7045358). Maybe it'll give you some inspiration, no pun intended. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks! I shall steal from it XD

Also, do we want this to be a hybrid class for Factotum/Artificer? I've never made any homebrew material before, and I don't REALLY have a lot of DnD experience. It might be an interesting idea, since it really IS a hybrid of the two (it could also let you use craft reserve XP for using temporary magic creation)...

Each level could advance inspiration, craft reserve and arcane dilettante, infusions. (resource class uses, "special power" of class)

Each encounter you can spend X inspiration and sum of craft reserve you've ever earned to make a magic item for the encounter (restricted to items you could craft normally).

This crafting mechanism means we don't need infusions at all (since you're applying your own magic items, don't need to add stuff [though artificer stuff still lets you])

EDIT: Also, obviously retain essence can be used to power temporary item creation, and I was thinking at later PrC levels (maybe 5+) he can start buffing the party too

What do you think?

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 12:08 AM
OP here.

Thanks for all the imput and interest so far guys! I had a feeling the idea would have legs. For the most part you guys and me seem to have very similar ideas about the class. To address what's been said above, I don't want any XP or gold costs involved in the quick crafting. You are spending inspiration points for a temporary bonus, not unlike the cunning line from the factotum class.

I want a new progression for Arcane Dillatante, kind of like Ur Priest. Which is to say, you'll start back over at level 1 spells when you switch over to the PrC, but then rapidly gain more arcane power. Of course, you'll still be behind a Wizard in spell power, it's not like you get early access to level 9s. But I am working on a new progression for the arcane dillitante spells, making this class more magically inclined than Factotum.

I definetely will be giving it more inspiration points, but making many of the abilities cost a fair amount of inspiration to use. I'm also definitely stopping progression of ALL factotum class features except Inspiration and Arcane Dilletante. In fact, you don't even need Factotum to get into the class, so if you are a rogue or wizard or whatever, as long as you have the skill and feat requirements you can get into this class and start crafting stuff at will.

The idea of switching one enhancment to another is also high on my list.

As for the creation spells, I was thinking of giving stronger and stronger spells from this line as SLAs or Su: abilities as the PrC levels up, eventually getting True Creation.

What level spells do you think would be necessary to make the class useful? and at what levels? How high level should you have to be in order to make a +5 equivilant weapon? or a +10?

What would the effect be of allowing the PrC to make any wonderous item he meets the prereqs for at will?

EDIT: I'll be posting my first draft for inspiration and arcane dilletante as well as class features soon.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 12:21 AM
D'oh 2 threads at once, might as well post my reply to your other thread here for completeness' sake. It's missing a few things from the post on here but that's OK.

---

I'm literally about to go to bed so I'm gonna make this brief but I thought I'd mention a few things.

OP here.

Thanks for all the imput and interest so far guys! I had a feeling the idea would have legs. To address what's been said above, I don't want any XP or gold costs involved in the quick crafting. You are spending inspiration points for a temporary bonus, not unlike the cunning line from the factotum class.

I stole another persons idea to make this a hybrid class with artificer. The idea is that artificer has a craft reserve and retain essence to get lots of XP that can be used only for crafting (also see obligatory xp is a river post (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872242/Experience_is_a_River)). This would allow the character to disenchant magic items and use them to fuel his own custom items. I thought it works well with flavor and eliminates how a potentially unbalanced 'freeness'.

I want a new progression for Arcane Dillatante, kind of like Ur Priest. Which is to say, you'll start back over at level 1 spells when you switch over to the PrC, but then rapidly gain more arcane power. Of course, you'll still be behind a Wizard in spell power, it's not like you get early access to level 9s. But I am working on a new progression for the arcane dillitante spells, making this class more magically inclined than Factotum.

Why? Arcane Dilettante is fairly balanced, IMO, and it's a great class feature. Maybe we could speed it up, but I don't think it should start over on a new scale (or if it does you combine factotum levels with the PrC for max known or whatever).

What level spells do you think would be necessary to make the class useful? and at what levels? How high level should you have to be in order to make a +5 equivilant weapon? or a +10?

What would the effect be of allowing the PrC to make any wonderous item he meets the prereqs for at will?

I'm probably not the right person to ask on this, but I don't think the class should get 9th level spells. It should not be a full casting class. I'd also put temporary item crafting bonus capped at +5. I believe after that items are classified as epic or some nomenclature like that and they shouldn't be emulated on the fly (another reason for including artificer in hybrid, PrC levels would go towards max crafting and stuff).

As for wondrous items, if he has the spell prereq prepared for that day, he probably would be better off using the spell instead of making the item. A UMD check or some other feature would probably work better.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 12:30 AM
I do want it balanced against the artificer because their roles are similar, but I don't want to steal the artificer's stuff. The artificer is overpowered in my estimation, and many agree. I'd like this guy to be more versatile but less powerful than the artificer.

The reason I want to start Arcane Dillitante over at level 1 is because if you do not have factotum levels, you will not have that class feature. And the spells you have access to will be very weak, not up to the power level of the rest of your group. Also, by speeding up the progression, you can give the class more total spells which gives them more choice in what items they can make.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 12:39 AM
I do want it balanced against the artificer because their roles are similar, but I don't want to steal the artificer's stuff. The artificer is overpowered in my estimation, and many agree. I'd like this guy to be more versatile but less powerful than the artificer.

The reason I want to start Arcane Dillitante over at level 1 is because if you do not have factotum levels, you will not have that class feature. And the spells you have access to will be very weak, not up to the power level of the rest of your group. Also, by speeding up the progression, you can give the class more total spells which gives them more choice in what items they can make.

What I was thinking is that a "basic entry" for the class would be Factotum5/Artificer5/PrC10. However, entry requirements would be (x 50?) total skill points and at least 1 crafting feat. That's all. Theoretically that means a class could get in at level 5, at which point it gets the PrC arcane dilettante and infusion (alternate-ish) feature. By the time it got to level 10, it would probably be in-line with the "basic entry" power level wise (although it's hard to match a tier 1's power progression, nor would I want it to)

Anyways, that basic entry won't have wands, staves, rings, limited access to metamagic skill trigger, or stuff like cunning surge...

While obviously it's not playtested, it's fairly balanced in my mind.

--

Oh, and as for name:

Spontaneous, impromptu, intuitive, makeshift, ad-lib, on-the-fly
+
Crafter, creator, maker, inventor, artisan, virtuoso, whiz, engineer, fabricator, mason

I like Intuitive Engineer myself, but thought I'd list all the stuff I brainstormed out.

P.S. pardon my rambling. I'm really just throwing my thoughts out as I think them instead of organizing them. What can I say, it's almost 1AM.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-09, 03:07 AM
I don't think any of the buffs should last more than a minute (or less than that, for that matter). Everything should be a flat 1 minute, no more, no less.

That's enough to last for most encounters (and if you need more you can just spend another inspiration point).

After all, IPs refresh every encounter, and you should have plenty after taking a few levels in this class.

And I still like the terms inspiration creation and Jury-Rigger for the minor creation replacement and the name of the class, respectively, though you could use them for other things, I guess. :smalltongue:

Slayn82
2010-02-09, 06:07 AM
Im loving the PrC class concept.

Factotum's Arcane diletance is described as an instintive understanding of magic. Since we are dealing with magic items, we could take the perspective that this PrC allows the characther to get some understanding of the way magic items work and how to manipulate or awake the enchantments that powers them.

How about making the mechanic to allow the transfer of the bonuses temporaly from an magic item to another? so, if you find a flameburst crossbow, and you use rapiers, you could temporally move the flameburst property from one object to other, and later learn to share the bonus to other equipments of your party. It would be like an temporary fusion of the enchantments. Moving attack bonus is a little pointless with the existence of greater magic weapon spells, so it should no be allowed.

Maybe as an advanced ability, the power to cast a spell used to craft a magic item by spending inspiration points over a willing target, making the item to go down for some rounds like if it was dispelled? The item would have to be in uncontested possession of the characther. So, in a pinch, you could get an extra healing from a healing belt, but with a significant cooldown time. Or with a flaming sword, shut it down to cast an fireball (3 Inspiration points) or flamestrike (5 Inspiration points), as you fancy. Those items with charges or single use (scrolls, potions, wands) could not be used on this fashion. To limit its use, some kind of "maximum strain" for the item could be implemented.

For minor abilities, maybe giving the PrC Identify at will as spell-like ability. Or allowing the levels of the PrC to stack with the caster levels of the magical items held by the characther for purpose of resisting being dispelled.

Ranks on use magic device should be needed to enter the PrC, and maybe some abilities would get required rolls against some DCs to work.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 12:29 PM
Here's what I have so far for Arcane Dilettante, Inspiration, and Class Abilities. I haven't decided at what level the Inspired Craftsman should gain the class abilities. And this isn't a full list. And I expect it to change. And I didn't try very hard to properly word the abilities. That will come later. PEACH

Arcane Dilettante Progression

Max
level Spell Level
1 2 2 Spells
2 3 3 Spells
3 4 4 Spells
4 4 5 Spells
5 5 6 Spells
6 6 7 Spells
7 7 8 Spells
8 7 9 Spells
9 8 10 Spells
10 8 11 Spells

Inspiration Points Progression

Class Abilities

Impromptu Craft (Su)
As a standard action, the Inspired Craftsman can spend 3 inspiration points to temporarily create a magic item. He must supply all the materials and meet all the prerequisites to create the item. If the item requires the ability to cast the spell, that spell must be currently ready, and then expended from, the Inspired Craftsman's Arcane Dilettante spells for the current day. The magic item persists for a number of rounds equal to the Craftsman's intelligence score, and then it becomes completely mundane once more. Any costly components required to make the item are lost, although if a mundane item (such as a masterwork breastplate) are enhanced in this way, the masterwork item remains once the magic fades. An enchanted item (such as a +1 breastplate) retains its old enhancements after the magic fades.

Cunning Artifice (Ex)
Spend one inspiration point to gain a bonus equal to 2x class level to any craft or profession skill or UMD. This ability effects each skill only once per day, but each craft and profession skill counts separately.

Bonus Feat
List: Any Item Creation Feat, Skill Focus or metamagic.

Arcane Creation (Su)
You may spontaneously convert any spell of any level from your prepared Arcane Dilettante spells to Minor Creation. At higher levels, gain access to Major Creation and True Creation.

Power Tap (Su)
As a free action, you may spend one inspiration point to tap into the power stored in a magic item you hold. That item becomes totally mundane for the next eight hours, as if it were in an anti-magic field, and one of the spells cast during the creation of that item is added to your Arcane Dilettante prepared spells list for the remainder of the round. It functions in all ways like a spell that you prepared at the start of the day. You may cast it at any time during the round it remains on your list, or expend it to power one of your Inspired Craftsman class features. If there are multiple spells required to create the tapped item, you choose one of them. The spell you choose must be of a level that you can cast, and must be on the Wizard or Sorcerer spell list.

Retune (Su)
As a move action, spend 2 inspiration points and expend one of your prepared spells to impress that spell onto a scroll or wand. For a number of rounds equal to your intelligence score, that scroll or wand becomes a scroll or wand of the spell you expended. If you use this ability on a scroll, the scroll is consumed at the end of the duration. If you use this ability on a wand, the wand is not consumed, but each time the wand is activated during the duration, two charges are expended from the wand instead of one. A spell with expensive material components cannot be expended for a retune. For example, Ed (a level 10 Arcane Craftsman with Int 18), uses Retune on a scroll of Fireball and a wand of Cure Light Wounds to temporarily turn them into a scroll of Fly and a wand of Acid Arrow. Over the next 18 rounds, Ed casts Acid Arrow out of the wand 5 times, but does not cast fly from the scroll. When the 18 rounds are up, Ed would have spent 10 charges from his wand, which turns back into a wand of Cure Light Wounds, and the scroll of Fireball is consumed.

Power Transfer (Su)
Spend 1 inspiration point to transfer the enhancement from one weapon or armor to another like item. You must be touching both items. You may select any number of enhancements or bonuses to transfer during the Power Transfer. For example, Ed has a +3 defending dagger and a +1 Flame Tongue sword. He may make a +3 Defending Flame Tongue Sword and a mundane dagger, a +2 Flame Tongue Sword and a +1 Defending Dagger, a +3 Defending, Flame Tongue dagger or any combination. Note that adding an enhancement bonus to a weapon or piece of armor that already has an enhancement bonus overlaps and does not stack. This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to the Craftsman's Intelligence score and the total number of enhancement equivalent you can transfer at any one time is limited by your Intelligence Modifier.

Analyze (Sp)
The Craftsman can cast Identify as an at-will SLA.

Prerequisites:

Skills: Any two Craft skills, 8 Ranks. UMD 8 ranks.
Feats: Any two item creation feats.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 02:34 PM
Throwing out ideas:

Jury-Rigger
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Inspiration|
Spell Level|
Spells Per Day

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Extra Inspiration, Extra Craft Reserve, Jury Rig, Spontaneous Creation (minor)|
x|
x|
x

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Improvisation (1 per day)|
x|
x|
x

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Bonus Feat|
x|
x|
x

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1||
x|
x|
x

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Bonus Feat, Spontaneous Creation (major)|
x|
x|
x

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Improvisation (2 per day)|
x|
x|
x

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Feat|
x|
x|
x

8th|+6|+2|+6|+2||
x|
x|
x

9th|+6|+3|+6|+3|Bonus Feat|
x|
x|
x

10th|+7|+3|+7|+3|Improvisation (3 per day), Spontaneous Creation (true)|
x|
x|
x
[/table]

Skill Requirements: The character must have at least 50 ranks in skills.
Feat Requirements: The character must gave at least 1 item creation feat.

Extra Improvisation: Starting at level 1, the Jury-Rigger gains a Inspiration pool which functions exactly as a Factotum's Inspiration pool. If the character already has an inspiration pool, add the two pools together to find effective Inspiration.

Makeshift Craft Reserve: The Jury-Rigger starts with a makeshift craft reserve that progresses in the same manner as an Artificer's craft reserve. Artificer levels and Jury-Rigger levels stack for size of makeshift craft reserve, but this reserve does not affect an Artificer's regular craft reserve.

Jury-Rig: The Jury-Rigger gains the ability to make magic items on the fly at level 1. By utilizing his makeshift craft reserve and inspiration pool, a Jury-Rigger can create almost any item on the fly. By spending a standard action and an inspiration point for [X], he can create items for any situation. The Jury-Rigger is limited to any item he could make with his craft reserve and item crafting feats. If he doesn't have the spell(s) required for the item prepared, he can instead use a UMD check at 20+spell level as move actions (if multiple are required they can spill into the next turn).

Spontaneous Creation: By spending inspiration points the Jury-Rigger can literally create any item he needs. At first level he can create material as if through Minor Creation, at fifth level he can create material as if through Major Creation, and at tenth level he can create items as if through True Creation. Spontaneous Creation (minor) costs 1 inspiration point, Spontaneous Creation (major) costs 3 inspiration point, and Spontaneous Creation (true) costs 5 inspiration point. Each power can be used once per encounter.

Improvisation: Improvisation allows a Jury-Rigger to adapt his equipment to anything he needs. By spending 1 inspiration point for every enhancement point he is changing, he can switch them to any other enhancement of the same cost or lower for one minute (for example you can change a +1 enhancement to another +1 enhancement, a +2 to two +1s, but not two +1s to a +2) after which the item returns to its original form. The Jury-Rigger can also use this ability to switch spells on a wand or scroll to any other spell of the same level or lower. If he doesn't have the spell required for the item prepared, he can instead use a UMD check at 20+spell level as move actions. The change lasts for one minute, after which it reverts back to the original item (minus used charges). [[Still trying to figure it out for staves, rings]] The Jury-Rigger must have the requisite craft item feat for whatever item he wants to use Improvisation on. At 2nd level he can use Improvisation once per day, twice at 6th level, and three times at 10th level.

Bonus Feats: Starting at 3rd level and every 2 levels after that, the Jury-Rigger gets to pick bonus feats from the following list: Any item crafting feat, Exceptional Artisan, Extra Rings, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan. However, these feats only apply to the player's Jury-Rig ability.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 04:22 PM
This is a very good start Overshee. Having the retune/improvisation ability be per day is probably a very good move. I am very very on the fence and leaning toward "no" for mixing artificer into this class. Artificer has a learning curve that's already above most of the other classes in terms of usability. I don't want my players to need to understand how the artificer's craft pool and all the item creation rules work in order to be able to play this class. Unless you can sell me on balance, I probably will leave out the craft reserve and have it function wholly around the inspiration pool.

I would like to squeeze an ability that actually gives the jury-rigger a bonus to his craft skills somewhere in there. And Identify as an SLA seems pretty necessary.

The class seems very front loaded right now, especially at level 1. Maybe minor creation should wait until level 2. I will keep thinking on it. Thanks for your help so far!

Overshee
2010-02-09, 04:42 PM
This is a very good start Overshee. Having the retune/improvisation ability be per day is probably a very good move. I am very very on the fence and leaning toward "no" for mixing artificer into this class. Artificer has a learning curve that's already above most of the other classes in terms of usability. I don't want my players to need to understand how the artificer's craft pool and all the item creation rules work in order to be able to play this class. Unless you can sell me on balance, I probably will leave out the craft reserve and have it function wholly around the inspiration pool.

Thanks. I had actually started the chart yesterday and didn't see your stuff until I had posted and refreshed.

I thought the same thing about Artificer at first, but the classes are too similar for it not to at least acknowledge them. As for learning curve, it's all fairly easy except actually knowing about magic items. Craft pool is super easy. Each level you get X XP that can only be spent on crafting. Since PrC's pool stacks with but doesn't actually come out of artificers, if they don't have artificer levels you can just say "You can spend up to {x} XP on your items." As for crafting rules it's pretty easy, take the base cost of item, divide by 25 to see how much XP it takes. You could go backwards and tell them "this means you can create items that cost up to y gold"

I used craft pool instead of just inspiration because I want both factotum AND artificer to be able to contribute to the class. Technically you don't need either, but both stack and add to the PrC. Balancewise this also gives more fine-tuning to what you can make. Craft pool starts out accumulating slowly but grows faster and faster as character levels (20 at level 1 to 5,000 at level 20), whereas factotum inspiration goes from 2 to 10. There's a lot more precision and a better balance curve to character growth and needing more expensive items in craft pool than just using inspiration. Also, while we could base what you can spontaneously create entirely on PrC level, that's essentially shutting out artificer, which the PrC has a lot of possible synergy with.

I would like to squeeze an ability that actually gives the jury-rigger a bonus to his craft skills somewhere in there. And Identify as an SLA seems pretty necessary.

Crafting is not hard. Since this class is meant for skillmonkeys and crafters, characters shouldn't really ever be failing. While we can certainly stick it in there (maybe it could fill in the dead levels), I wouldn't really classify it as necessary.

As for identify, again I don't think it's necessary. The class already gets access to similar effects via arcane dilettante. Putting it as a SLA is a cool feature, but I'm trying to hammer out core features right now and I'm not sure Identify needs to be there.

The class seems very front loaded right now, especially at level 1. Maybe minor creation should wait until level 2. I will keep thinking on it. Thanks for your help so far!

I was thinking that too, but I really liked creation at 1, 5, and 10. It just fits well that way... Also, if you don't have levels in Artificer, your craft reserve will start out fairly small so you'll probably need to put more levels in to make better items, and you probably won't have many item creation feats so you'll only be able to change a few small categories of items. If you already have levels in artificer...... Maybe we should shift some effects downwards and add the crafting bonuses up higher so that there's more incentive to go farther into the PrC.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 04:53 PM
Maybe we should shift some effects downwards and add the crafting bonuses up higher so that there's more incentive to go farther into the PrC.

I think that's a good idea. Maybe push Improvisation, which is a very strong ability, up to 3 or 4 and throw the craft bonus in early as sort of a "bone" so it feels like you're gaining something useful but not broken at an earlier level.

It's true that crafting is easy for a dedicated crafter, but you can boost the DC to do some cooler stuff, like quick crafting. If you want to make a masterwork sword in a day or something, this seems like the class that should be able to actually pull that off. Or if you have NO ranks in craft:woodworking because, really, you can't have every single craft skill, you can still be an effective carpenter if need be. It would be silly for this bad-ass crafter to look at a wagon wheel (or, more likely, a wooden palisade that needs to be fixed fast) and just go "duuuurh...."

The artificer's craft pool is filled up once every level up? Or is it every day?

Overshee
2010-02-09, 05:00 PM
I think that's a good idea. Maybe push Improvisation, which is a very strong ability, up to 3 or 4 and throw the craft bonus in early as sort of a "bone" so it feels like you're gaining something useful but not broken at an earlier level.

I agree.

It's true that crafting is easy for a dedicated crafter, but you can boost the DC to do some cooler stuff, like quick crafting. If you want to make a masterwork sword in a day or something, this seems like the class that should be able to actually pull that off. Or if you have NO ranks in craft:woodworking because, really, you can't have every single craft skill, you can still be an effective carpenter if need be. It would be silly for this bad-ass crafter to look at a wagon wheel (or, more likely, a wooden palisade that needs to be fixed fast) and just go "duuuurh...."

OK, what would you suggest? The class can do any craft skill untrained, and gets a global bonus of 1/2 PrC level to craft roles when rushing?

Also, I forgot to mention thoughts on... Cunning Brilliance? (The one that gives you +1/2 Factotum level to a skill once per skill per day). Would it be OP to let PrC level stack with them? I love the ability thematically and I'd hate to leave it behind.

The artificer's craft pool is filled up once every level up? Or is it every day?

Every time he levels up his craft reserve is boosted to full (but any left over he had from the previous level is lost). I was thinking that Jury Rig wouldn't deplete the craft pool (since they're temporary [or maybe they would refill per day]).

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 05:36 PM
Here was my suggestion for a cunning brilliance that applies only to craft and the like:

Cunning Artifice (Ex)
Spend one inspiration point to gain a bonus equal to 2x class level to any craft or profession skill or UMD. This ability effects each skill only once per day, but each craft and profession skill counts separately.

So at level 10 of the PrC you can grab a +20 to each craft once per day. Either that or make it +character level.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 05:42 PM
Here was my suggestion for a cunning brilliance that applies only to craft and the like:

Cunning Artifice (Ex)

So at level 10 of the PrC you can grab a +20 to each craft once per day. Either that or make it +character level.

I'd still like the PrC to advance Cunning Brilliance... Otherwise the player would hardly ever use it... +2 is nice I guess, but really not that great.

EDIT: Went onto IRC and got some advice:

Split Improvisaton into 2 abilities, enhancement switching and wand messing with.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 10:09 PM
I'd still like the PrC to advance Cunning Brilliance... Otherwise the player would hardly ever use it... +2 is nice I guess, but really not that great.

EDIT: Went onto IRC and got some advice:

Split Improvisaton into 2 abilities, enhancement switching and wand messing with.

I guess it could just advance cunning brilliance. That is the simplest fix, after all, and it gives the rigger some non-spell, non-item utility. So sure, let's let it advance cunning brilliance from level 1 on.

It had been my original intention to have to separate abilities. I think the enhancement switching should be unlimited use and function very similarly to Cunning Insight (+Int to attack, damage or a save). How about:

Cunning Smithy (Su)
As a standard action, the Rigger may spend a number of inspiration point to change the enhancement bonus and equivalent abilities of a weapon, shield or piece of armor he is currently holding or wearing. The number of inspiration points he spends must equal the total equivalent bonus he wishes to change on the item, and is limited by his intelligence modifier. For example, if he has a +2 elf bane cross bow, and wants a +2 Flaming cross bow, he must spend one inspiration point. If he wanted a +1 Flaming Burst cross bow, he would need to spend two inspiration points. In any case, the reattuned item returns to its original state after one minute, or until the rigger uses this ability again to change it back.

The rest of Improvisation can stay the same (scroll and wand fiddling). I don't think we need to worry about staves or rings. If he wants to F with those, he needs to use the cunning artifice ability to do so.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 10:19 PM
I guess it could just advance cunning brilliance. That is the simplest fix, after all, and it gives the rigger some non-spell, non-item utility. So sure, let's let it advance cunning brilliance from level 1 on.

Stacking with Factotum levels, right?

It had been my original intention to have to separate abilities. I think the enhancement switching should be unlimited use and function very similarly to Cunning Insight (+Int to attack, damage or a save). How about:

Cunning Smithy (Su)
As a standard action, the Rigger may spend a number of inspiration point to add an enhancement bonus and equivalent abilities to a weapon, shield or piece of armor he is currently holding or wearing. The number of inspiration points spent are the same as the equivalent bonuses he wishes to add to the item, and is limited by his intelligence modifier. If the item to be enhanced is already magic, the new bonus and abilities supersede the old. In any case, the weapon returns to its original state after one minute.

Way too powerful. Inspiration refreshes every encounter. This lets the user make a +5 (or higher) enhancement bonus weapon every fight too easily. (it's not hard for a character to get a high int mod early). I'd say that he can spend 1 inspiration to switch enhancement to another enhancement of same level or lower or 1 to add a +1, 3 to add a +2, 5 to add a +3, 7 to add a +4, 9 to add a +5. The superceding thing makes sense though.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 10:22 PM
Yes, stacks with factotum.

Way too powerful.

I noticed this as I was typing it, and already edited it! I don't think the level of the enahcment bonus should matter though. If you have a +1 Flaming, Shocking Burst, Wounding long sword, why not turn it into a +1 Human Bane, Brilliant Energy long sword? They cost the same.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 10:35 PM
Yes, stacks with factotum.

I noticed this as I was typing it, and already edited it! I don't think the level of the enahcment bonus should matter though. If you have a +1 Flaming, Shocking Burst, Wounding long sword, why not turn it into a +1 Displacing long sword?

I don't know the enhancement bonus for displacing (though I'm assuming +5?), but costs for enhancements are not linear.

+1 is +2,000GP
+2 is +8,000GP
+3 is +18,000GP
+4 is +32,000GP
+5 is +50,000GP

Therefore, turning a +1, +2, and +2 into a +5 is a 32K difference.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 10:37 PM
I thought you added all the enhancements together. A +1 flaming, shocking, icy burst weapon would be a +5 equivelant weapon and cost the 50,000 unless i am very much mistaken.

Overshee
2010-02-09, 10:39 PM
I thought you added all the enhancements together. A +1 flaming, shocking, icy burst weapon would be a +5 equivelant weapon and cost the 50,000 unless i am very much mistaken.

Well, perhaps I've been doing it wrong then. In that case it's OK.

EDIT: Seems that was a houserule my DM used... Not sure why...

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-09, 10:42 PM
So this is good! The class feels almost finished. We just need to plug in the widgets to make it go.

Anyway, that's it for me for tonight. I'll continue this tomorrow.

Pechvarry
2010-02-10, 02:04 AM
Hi dudes

Just thought I'd drop in to say:
Cunning Brilliance is the "emulate everyone else' class features" ability.

The one you guys are after is Cunning Knowledge -- once per day per skill, add your factotum level (not half!) as a bonus for an inspiration point.

Overshee
2010-02-10, 08:24 AM
Hi dudes

Just thought I'd drop in to say:
Cunning Brilliance is the "emulate everyone else' class features" ability.

The one you guys are after is Cunning Knowledge -- once per day per skill, add your factotum level (not half!) as a bonus for an inspiration point.

My bad. Our copy of dungeonscape is at the DM's house so I don't have ready access to it.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-10, 10:24 AM
That's right. All the Factotum abilities have such similar names I often get them mixed up. Or make new ones up. Thanks.

EDIT: I have a current version of the class up in the OP now. I am considering dropping the BAB to poor to make up for the increased spell power. I am also considering getting rid of the craft pool and making items cost 1 inspiration point per 1000gp in the base cost of the item, rounded up. I think this would go a long way in cutting out the middle man in figuring out which items you can create. You'd only be limited by the amount of inspiration in your pool at any given time, but it would still be a hard-cap limit as to what you can actually create. Maybe 2500 or 5000gp would be more on the button.

Also thinking of dropping Analyze down to level 2, since that's when you'll need the extra spell slots most. And yes, I think this ability is necessary. Otherwise, the rigger can only cast Identify and Detect Magic once per day, which just doesn't work for a class like this. He'll need to know what's around and what he can use at any given time.

Also, also thinking about a good will save.

Also, also, also thinking about changing Cunning Smithy to a swift action.

Pechvarry
2010-02-10, 08:55 PM
I am considering dropping the BAB to poor to make up for the increased spell power. I am also considering getting rid of the craft pool and making items cost 1 inspiration point per 1000gp in the base cost of the item, rounded up. I think this would go a long way in cutting out the middle man in figuring out which items you can create. You'd only be limited by the amount of inspiration in your pool at any given time, but it would still be a hard-cap limit as to what you can actually create. Maybe 2500 or 5000gp would be more on the button.

I like the idea of having the class possess some synergy with artificer, but I think I agree with you. Screw XP costs; streamline the process, get rid of the craft pool.

Suggestion: perhaps an option for characters to gain a number of additional inspiration points based on how large their Craft Reserve is.

Also, if it can be made sufficiently backline-y, I think wizard bab would be cool.

Overshee
2010-02-10, 09:03 PM
I like the idea of having the class possess some synergy with artificer, but I think I agree with you. Screw XP costs; streamline the process, get rid of the craft pool.

Suggestion: perhaps an option for characters to gain a number of additional inspiration points based on how large their Craft Reserve is.

Also, if it can be made sufficiently backline-y, I think wizard bab would be cool.

OK then... how do you get enough fine tuning what exactly you can create?

My bad, didn't see Guard Juris' edit...

---

Arcane Dilettante: This is still bugging me. It's essentially turning the Factotum's old arcane dilettante fairly worthless. Either they need to be added as bonus spells or something to the Jury-Rigger's list, or they need to be struck out completely and Jury-Rigger can get more spells faster.

Jury-Rig: If the UMD check fails craft reserve should be wasted too

Improvisation: Do you think it should be 1min/level?

Analyze: OK, makes more sense now with all 3 spells, and spending an inspiration point to do so.

Cunning Smithy: Seems a little late... could we fit it into 4th level?

Overload: Awesome (reminds me a bit of Mass Effect :smallwink:). However, shouldn't we either give him time to throw it or let it be used as a mine with a command word?

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-10, 10:47 PM
Arcane Dilettante: This is still bugging me. It's essentially turning the Factotum's old arcane dilettante fairly worthless. Either they need to be added as bonus spells or something to the Jury-Rigger's list, or they need to be struck out completely and Jury-Rigger can get more spells faster.

Jury-Rig: If the UMD check fails craft reserve should be wasted too

Improvisation: Do you think it should be 1min/level?

Analyze: OK, makes more sense now with all 3 spells, and spending an inspiration point to do so.

Cunning Smithy: Seems a little late... could we fit it into 4th level?

Overload: Awesome (reminds me a bit of Mass Effect :smallwink:). However, shouldn't we either give him time to throw it or let it be used as a mine with a command word?

Well, the Factotum arcane dillitante does stack with the Jury Rigger arcane dilitante. So you will get extra spells per day if you started as a factotum. And if you enter the class as factotum 5, it's also a step up in spell level.

I think I will get rid of the craft pool. Perhaps I'll design a feat that gives some support to the artificer.

Cunning Smithy probably should be moved down to a lower level. I'll consider squeezing it into 4, juggling some stuff around. And I agree that 1 min/level would be better for Improvisation. Also, can we come up with a more specific word than improvisation? There's got to be something better but I am drawing a blank.

As for giving the rigger time to throw the overloaded item, that is already built in to Delayed Blast Fireball. You can set it to up to 5 rounds, but if you throw it, it goes off immediately. I personally think that is awesome, especially since you can quick craft items then overload them before the effect wears off.

EDIT: How do you feel about just switching Improv with Cunning Smithy? Or moving Analyze to 2 and dropping Cunning Smithy to 4?

Overshee
2010-02-10, 10:54 PM
Well, the Factotum arcane dillitante does stack with the Jury Rigger arcane dilitante. So you will get extra spells per day if you started as a factotum. And if you enter the class as factotum 5, it's also a step up in spell level.

Does it replace it entirely, or stack, or simply increase max level of spell (it's not clear in description)?

I think I will get rid of the craft pool. Perhaps I'll design a feat that gives some support to the artificer.

How do you propose we fine tune it then? I just think using inspiration is heavy-handed (would 1 inspiration be 1000GP? If an item is 1,200GP that's a lot of waste), and craft reserve is an existing mechanic that works well.

Cunning Smithy probably should be moved down to a lower level. I'll consider squeezing it into 4, juggling some stuff around. And I agree that 1 min/level would be better for Improvisation. Also, can we come up with a more specific word than improvisation? There's got to be something better but I am drawing a blank.

I rather like Improvisation, but what were you thinking of for context?

As for giving the rigger time to throw the overloaded item, that is already built in to Delayed Blast Fireball. You can set it to up to 5 rounds, but if you throw it, it goes off immediately. I personally think that is awesome, especially since you can quick craft items then overload them before the effect wears off.

And again I should learn how to read.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-10, 11:01 PM
I don't think the rigger needs the precision the craft pool provides. If you want to make a cheap magic item, that costs one inspiration point. If you want to make a 5,000 gp item, that's 2 inspiration points. 5,500? That's 3. Sad you wasted the point? too bad. If you really needed that 5,500 gp item rather than a comparitive 7500 gp item, then it doesn't matter how many points you spent on it.

Improvisation is a very broad term. Almost everything the rigger does is improvisation. I'd like a word that makes you think about recalibrating a wand. Maybe... idunno. It's tough to come up with one.

I've added language to the Arcane Diletante section to describe how it interacts with the factotum ability. You add the two classes together for spells per day, and take the higher of the two for max spell level.

Overshee
2010-02-10, 11:11 PM
I don't think the rigger needs the precision the craft pool provides. If you want to make a cheap magic item, that costs one inspiration point. If you want to make a 5,000 gp item, that's 2 inspiration points. 5,500? That's 3. Sad you wasted the point? too bad. If you really needed that 5,500 gp item rather than a comparitive 7500 gp item, then it doesn't matter how many points you spent on it.

Improvisation is a very broad term. Almost everything the rigger does is improvisation. I'd like a word that makes you think about recalibrating a wand. Maybe... idunno. It's tough to come up with one.

That still lets you use it every encounter with very few repercussions. Craft pool refilled once per day, inspiration comes once per encounter. While you have far fewer inspiration points per encounter than craft points, I'm still convinced that a daily craft pool is a better mechanic...

As for another word, I'm not sure.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-11, 09:45 AM
I do see the appeal of the craft pool. I think it will take some playtesting to know whether it is needed as a balancing factor.

If a rigger wants to spend most of his inspiration (and at least a standard action) every encounter making a moderately priced magic item, then I think that's a pretty poor use of his actions and resources. I think having inspiration as a limiting factor should be pretty solid, since they will likely have factotum abilities to spend it on and it costs them inspiration to use their SLAs from A.D. A factotum 5/rigger 5 will have about 8 inspiration points, meaning they could blow them all to build a magic item costing 20,000 gp. There are a lot of good items in that range, but once they blow their inspiration all they can do is use the magic item they made, and as we know from Soul Knife, just having a magic item is no class feature at all. The beauty of it is being able to make whatever item you need on demand.

I would recommend that you use the craft pool version with your group, and I'll try out the non-craftpool version, and we can compare notes. Though I don't know when I'll actually get around to it.

Any ideas on jiggering the abilities around or messing with BAB or Saves?

Overshee
2010-02-11, 09:57 AM
I do see the appeal of the craft pool. I think it will take some playtesting to know whether it is needed as a balancing factor.

If a rigger wants to spend most of his inspiration (and at least a standard action) every encounter making a moderately priced magic item, then I think that's a pretty poor use of his actions and resources. I think having inspiration as a limiting factor should be pretty solid, since they will likely have factotum abilities to spend it on and it costs them inspiration to use their SLAs from A.D. A factotum 5/rigger 5 will have about 8 inspiration points, meaning they could blow them all to build a magic item costing 20,000 gp. There are a lot of good items in that range, but once they blow their inspiration all they can do is use the magic item they made, and as we know from Soul Knife, just having a magic item is no class feature at all. The beauty of it is being able to make whatever item you need on demand.

I would recommend that you use the craft pool version with your group, and I'll try out the non-craftpool version, and we can compare notes. Though I don't know when I'll actually get around to it.

Any ideas on jiggering the abilities around or messing with BAB or Saves?

Well, my group is currently scattered around North America at college. So no DnD for us until summer (and the only gamers here seem to be into 4e :smallannoyed:) Anyways, I guess we can come back to this later.

As for BAB and Saves, I just gave them the same progression as factotum, not sure if they need more than that or not.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-12, 09:03 AM
I guess there's no pressing reason to mess with BAB or saves. I still haven't figured out a way to reorder the abilities yet without moving improvisation up to level 6. Is that too late for the ability?

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-14, 05:19 PM
Bump for any final thoughts before I call this PrC done.

Draz74
2010-02-14, 08:32 PM
I like it. Without playtesting to see how its overall power level turned out, I only have one concern:

Spontaneous Creation (Sp):
By spending inspiration points the jury-rigger can literally create any item he needs. At second level he can create material as if through Minor Creation, at fifth level he can create material as if through Major Creation, and at tenth level he can create items as if through True Creation. Spontaneous Creation (minor) costs 1 inspiration point, Spontaneous Creation (major) costs 3 inspiration point, and Spontaneous Creation (true) costs 5 inspiration point. Each power can be used once per encounter.

Traditionally, Factotums don't have their abilities limited this way. Inspiration costs are the per-encounter limits on their abilities. If these abilities cost Inspiration, there's no need to limit them to 1/encounter. On the other hand, Factotums traditionally have daily limits on their abilities that would otherwise be too useful out-of-combat. Give each of these abilities a 4/day limit or something.