PDA

View Full Version : Getting Shield on the Bard Spell List

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-08, 02:52 PM
A build I’m trying to work on (melee oriented bard that goes into abjurant champion) has one vital problem: Bards lack any effective defensive abjuration spells. I have, at the moment, stamped a bandage on that issue by taking Arcane Disciple: Retribution Doman, which adds Shield of Faith to my spell list as an arcane spell. The problems with this, however, are that I can only use that spell once a day, it heavily restricts my alignment (I have to find a chaotic non-evil god that has retribution as their domain, or be really, really convincing to my DM), and it feels a little bit like cheating (admittedly, it isn’t, but it FEELS like it).

So, a simple question…is there any way for me to add shield to my bard’s spell list WITHOUT dipping into another class and while keeping full bard spell casting?

If not, I will just resign myself and try and get my DM to let me do this…and if he won’t, I’ll dip into Battle Sorc (which is a trap, I know, but will let me cast my sorc spells while wearing light armor) and pick shield as a spell known. It will cost me a bard caster level, but meh.

And yes, I know bard is not the ideal way to build a gish like this, but I’m trying to prove a point with a decent bard melee build.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-08, 03:03 PM
Sublime Chord doesn't get Abjuration?

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-08, 03:07 PM
Sublime Chord doesn't get Abjuration?

More specifics:

The build starts at level 9 and only goes until level 14. While sublime chord is FANTASTIC, I believe it requires 13 ranks in a perform skill, which isn't available till level 10. I'd like this build to be hitting its stride by level 9.

Ormagoden
2010-02-08, 03:08 PM
granted its no where near optimal. Have you considered extra spell?

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-08, 03:10 PM
granted its no where near optimal. Have you considered extra spell?

From my understanding, extra spell does not add spells that are not already on your spell list to your spells known.

EDIT: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ask/20080430a

deuxhero
2010-02-08, 03:14 PM
prehaps Sorc->prestige bard or Divine Bard (gets protection from x line)?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-02-08, 03:27 PM
Go Sorcerer/Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard) maybe, which you could use Draconic Heritage (Battle or Song) to get Perform as a class skill to qualify and use Warblade or Crusader with Song of the White Raven to get buffer Inspire Courage earlier.

Alternatively, consider making your build go something like Bard 8/ Suel Arcanamach 1/ Spellthief 1/ Sublime Chord, using Master Spellthief for caster level shenanigans with Sublime Chord. (Edit) You could replace Suel Arcanamach with a level of Wizard, and get Versatile Spellcaster (RotD). That will allow you to use your Bard spell slots to cast any spell you've read and made the Spellcraft check to understand, even if you didn't scribe it into your spellbook.

Eternal Wands from MIC can be used by anyone capable of casting arcane spells, regardless of whether the spell is on your list. You could be fine with just an Eternal Wand of Extended Shield.

Saph
2010-02-08, 03:29 PM
So, a simple question…is there any way for me to add shield to my bard’s spell list WITHOUT dipping into another class and while keeping full bard spell casting?

Lyric Thaumaturge from Complete Mage will get you exactly what you need. Bard 6 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord gets you Shield and doesn't cost you any Bard casting.

AtwasAwamps
2010-02-08, 04:12 PM
I'll have to look into Lyric Thaumaturge. For some reason, that just never occurred to me.

EDIT: That's absolutely perfect. Thank you so much, Saph.