PDA

View Full Version : Question about the paladins(unrelated to any other I guess)

DukeGod
2010-02-08, 05:42 PM
why,none of the paladins we seen so far have cast a single spell?they have used their class abilites a lot but spells seem to have been left out

Acero
2010-02-08, 06:23 PM
any touch-based healing spell casted by a paladin can be confused for a Lay on Hands.

I cast virtue a lot. no effects

Orzel
2010-02-08, 06:41 PM
1. Most are low level
2. OotS uses mostly core spells
3. Most of them are seen in combat
4. Most core paladin non-healing non-stat combat spells suck

factotum
2010-02-09, 02:30 AM
Let's be honest here, a Paladin's most useful abilites (the ones that really make them more than a fighter without bonus feats) *are* their class abilities--Lay on Hands, Turn Undead, Detect Evil, Smite Evil, and the passive stuff like Divine Grace. Their spellcasting ability is little more than an afterthought and doesn't really add much to their capabilities.

Optimystik
2010-02-09, 08:41 AM
Their spellcasting ability is little more than an afterthought and doesn't really add much to their capabilities.

I take it you don't have Spell Compendium

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-09, 09:23 AM
I take it you don't have Spell Compendium

oots is mostly core remember, so no, the azure city paladins don't have spell compendium, so the assessment that their spells (like the goggles) do nothing is still accurate.

Optimystik
2010-02-09, 09:48 AM
oots is mostly core remember, so no, the azure city paladins don't have spell compendium, so the assessment that their spells (like the goggles) do nothing is still accurate.

You don't know that for sure yet. Orbs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0519.html) are in Spell Compendium.

eggynack
2010-02-09, 10:46 PM
You don't know that for sure yet. Orbs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0519.html) are in Spell Compendium.

Yeah, but that, along with most other uses of non-core stuff, is lampshaded by the characters.

FujinAkari
2010-02-10, 12:25 AM
Yeah, but that, along with most other uses of non-core stuff, is lampshaded by the characters.

... while I agree with your point, I don't think that is how you use the term lampshading :P

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 07:01 AM

Not always. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html)

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-10, 09:26 AM
You don't know that for sure yet. Orbs are in Spell Compendium.

Yes, we DO know that for sure. Lightning bolt, fire ball, control weather magic missile, quickened spell empowered spell maximize spell, cure X wounds, endure elements etc are all core spells. The vast majority of oots is core material.

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 09:32 AM
Yes, we DO know that for sure. Lightning bolt, fire ball, control weather magic missile, quickened spell empowered spell maximize spell, cure X wounds, endure elements etc are all core spells. The vast majority of oots is core material.

Vast majority != 100%.

The fact that core spells are used does not preclude non-core material. The mere existence one non-core spell means SpC is possible until the Giant specifically states otherwise.

Orzel
2010-02-10, 10:45 AM
Even with non-core spells there are only a few good ones low level paladins would cast during a war.

SensFan
2010-02-10, 10:50 AM
Vast majority != 100%.

The fact that core spells are used does not preclude non-core material. The mere existence one non-core spell means SpC is possible until the Giant specifically states otherwise.
I would say its much more accurate to say that any one character is strictly core until we've seen them cast a non-Core spell.

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 10:56 AM
I would say its much more accurate to say that any one character is strictly core until we've seen them cast a non-Core spell.

It's not "more accurate" at all, since there's nothing to actually support it.

It's possibly "more reasonable," but that's it.

SensFan
2010-02-10, 11:04 AM
It's not "more accurate" at all, since there's nothing to actually support it.

It's possibly "more reasonable," but that's it.
Actually, it is. The number of people who have cast non-Core spells can be counted on one hand.

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 11:05 AM
Actually, it is. The number of people who have cast non-Core spells can be counted on one hand.

Which in no way proves that non-core spells are banned from OotS, or even limited solely to the people we have seen use them.

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-10, 11:19 AM
Vast majority != 100%.

100% != what i said. Stop attacking a strawman.

oots is -------->mostly core <-----------

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 11:24 AM

Yes, but that's used by an Evil character. Evil characters are known for breaking (or at least bending) the rules.

Pyron
2010-02-10, 11:31 AM

Not the ones that Tsukiko looked up (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html).

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 11:42 AM
Vast majority != 100%.

100% != what i said. Stop attacking a strawman.

oots is -------->mostly core <-----------

Which means absolutely nothing, because it rules out absolutely nothing.

Yes, but that's used by an Evil character. Evil characters are known for breaking (or at least bending) the rules.

...Wait, what? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html)

Not the ones that Tsukiko looked up (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html).

Semantics. They are called "Orb of X" in every 3.5 source. Tome and Blood calls them "X Orb" but it is 3.0.

hamishspence
2010-02-10, 11:49 AM
Miniatures Handbook is 3.5 and uses the "X Orb" format- however, it only has the minor ones.

Pyron
2010-02-10, 11:52 AM
Semantics. They are called "Orb of X" in every 3.5 source.

The "Orb of X" are also Conjuration Spells. Tsukiko's spells are Evocations. That's more than semantics that's evidence right out of the comic.

Although, you might have a point with Tome and Blood. So we proof that she uses Tome and Blood (not Spell Compendium or Complete Arcane), at best.

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 11:53 AM
...Wait, what? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html)

It's all part of the conspiracy. Sorry I can't tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you.

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-10, 11:54 AM
Which means absolutely nothing, because it rules out absolutely nothing.

What it means is that unless there is a damn good reason for a non core spell to be used, it won't be used. OOtS seems to be run by a DM thats pretty tight on allowing non core material into the game. Not an absolute ban, but very strictly monitored. As such, the paladins spells are largely useless, so they don't see a lot of action.

Also, paladins aren't in the main cast, so they have less screentime, thus less chance to cast spells, and FAR less chance to use non core (aka useful)spells.

There is also a potential legal problem with non srd spells becomming a frequent part of the comic.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 11:55 AM

"Screw the rules I have money!" (If anybody doesn't know where this is from watch yugioh the abridged series.)

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 11:56 AM
What it means is that unless there is a damn good reason for a non core spell to be used, it won't be used.

[citation needed]

There is also a potential legal problem with non srd spells becomming a frequent part of the comic.

[citation needed]

And again, I'm not saying that paladins have access to SpC or even that they cast spells in OotS. Just that both are possible.

DukeGod
2010-02-10, 12:59 PM
oh great...I started a Flame War...
aniway aren't the "X Orb"and "Orb of X" the same spells,she might have used the Tome and Blood it is still Non-Core...that may mean the paladins got their own "Complete X" or "X and Y" book

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 01:47 PM
oh great...I started a Flame War...
aniway aren't the "X Orb"and "Orb of X" the same spells,she might have used the Tome and Blood it is still Non-Core...that may mean the paladins got their own "Complete X" or "X and Y" book

They are indeed the same.

hamishspence
2010-02-10, 01:59 PM
non-core material gets lampshaded, mostly, but its used quite a few times.

As to the orb spells, they evolved a bit:

Tome & Blood Lesser Acid Orb: Evocation
Miniatures Handbook Lesser Acid Orb: Conjuration
Complete Arcane Lesser Orb of Acid: Conjuration

So- first they changed schools, then, they changed names.

Kish
2010-02-10, 02:01 PM
Ninjad by hamishspence to point out the school difference, which suggests Tsukiko got her Orb spells from Tome and Blood, since she called them "evocations."

Orzel
2010-02-10, 02:47 PM
A zure paladins were mostly low level and had few spell slots. 75% of total paladin spells suck and even more if you were only core. Most of the passable ones were buffs which rarely see screentime or had too horrible of a duration to use in a day long war. Other good ones were situational or wandbait. Lots of them were noncombat. Plus most of the exotic paladins were out of town.

Let's name the good, low level, war worthy, paladin spells with decent durations that work on hobgoblins?...
umm..

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 06:31 AM
Are you guys really gonna argue about the fact that "paladins might cast noncore spells, but weren't seen doing so yet" against "paladins weren't seen casting noncore spells, but they exist"? Really, everyone seems to be disagreeing and putting up their own version of the same damn thing.

OOTS does not preclude noncore spells. There are noncore spells for paladins. We never saw them being cast. There's nothing past this to be infered.

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 06:41 AM
Ninjad by hamishspence to point out the school difference, which suggests Tsukiko got her Orb spells from Tome and Blood, since she called them "evocations."

I did mention that earlier - and I hope she was wrong about that, because Tome and Blood is 3.0.

OOTS does not preclude noncore spells. There are noncore spells for paladins. We never saw them being cast. There's nothing past this to be infered.

For that matter, we've never actually seen a paladin cast even core spells in the comic. Is there a bonus strip where they do so?

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 06:49 AM
I don't think so. They don't happen in OotPCs nor in SoD.

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 06:55 AM
I have those books - but not W&XPs or DStP, yet. So I may have missed something.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 07:01 AM
Miko healed herself quite a few times when she was being chased by belkar, were one of them a Cure Wounds spell?

DukeGod
2010-02-11, 10:38 AM
she didn't exactly said "Cure Something Wounds" so I guess not,while on the other hand they don't say "Lay on Hands" when they use it

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 11:08 AM
she didn't exactly said "Cure Something Wounds" so I guess not,while on the other hand they don't say "Lay on Hands" when they use it

Sometimes they do (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html) :smallsmile:

Miko healed herself quite a few times when she was being chased by belkar, were one of them a Cure Wounds spell?

It's possible, but they can also spread out their LoH healing across several uses.

Setra
2010-02-11, 11:20 AM
Isn't Mark of Justice a Paladin Spell?

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 11:27 AM
Cleric too.

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 11:51 AM
I doubt the paladins were involved with the MoJ, because Roy said they would "go nuts" if they found out about it. Ergo, it must have been applied by a cleric.

Setra
2010-02-11, 12:10 PM
Cleric too.
Ah, didn't know it was Cleric as well.

Orzel
2010-02-11, 12:57 PM
Still only a few decent low level paladin combat spells

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-11, 01:42 PM
I doubt the paladins were involved with the MoJ, because Roy said they would "go nuts" if they found out about it. Ergo, it must have been applied by a cleric.

DSTP spoilers

The blind cleric is the one who put it on him.