PDA

View Full Version : Mimics Mimicing Mimicry

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-08, 07:16 PM
The sucubus thread got me thinking, what creative mimics have you seen/used? It doesn't need to be said that a chest is overdone, how about a mideval torture device? Nobody would expect an Iron Maiden with a corpse's arm coming out of it to be a hungry mimic.

Infernum
2010-02-08, 07:31 PM
I believe my favorite was the mimic disguised as a water closet. Our chaotic evil rogue went to use the facilities and ended up getting eaten ass first.

Dragero
2010-02-08, 08:31 PM
House Mimics are classic.

Crow
2010-02-08, 08:36 PM
I used one disguised as a wishing well. When the cheap-ass rogue decided to wade in to collect all the copper that people had thrown in over the years-CHOMP!

Slayn82
2010-02-08, 08:45 PM
The sucubus thread got me thinking, what creative mimics have you seen/used? It doesn't need to be said that a chest is overdone, how about a mideval torture device? Nobody would expect an Iron Maiden with a corpse's arm coming out of it to be a hungry mimic.

Actually, in a campaign i played recently, this exact such thing was my familiar, a war construct that ilustrated the good uses of share spells with alter self and visceral serpent. And sometimes, shield of fire, just to add a little touch.

Also, i guess i must mention this comic:
http://rustyandco.com
One of the main characthers is a mimic.

The best thing i saw an mimic do? An suit of fullplate. We really didnt expect it.

Zexion
2010-02-08, 09:30 PM
A Mimic could pretend to be some type of food. Or a sleeping bag. Or a chamber pot. MWAHAHAHAHA

Stompy
2010-02-08, 11:24 PM
So far I have seen it used as a door, alchemy table, and my favorite, a dumbwaiter.

...and a halfling went in the dumbwaiter, it closed, and went downstairs with its food. XD

rayne_dragon
2010-02-08, 11:31 PM
A bag or sword mimic could have a lot of potential. In fact, I seem to remember there being a creature that looked like a sword in earlier editions. But then you also had the cloaker, living walls, golems shaped like columns, and those two monsters that looked like the floor and ceiling of a room. Good fun that.

taltamir
2010-02-08, 11:39 PM
House Mimics are classic.

the bigger the better too... after spending some time in the dungeon / sky scraper / palace / castle the party finally realizes it is one giant mimic, and that they are inside!

Rappy
2010-02-08, 11:44 PM
A bag or sword mimic could have a lot of potential. In fact, I seem to remember there being a creature that looked like a sword in earlier editions. But then you also had the cloaker, living walls, golems shaped like columns, and those two monsters that looked like the floor and ceiling of a room. Good fun that.
Fun fact: nearly all of those are in 3E via the Tome of Horrors, save for the cloaker (for obvious reasons), living wall, and sword-creature whose name eludes me. The caryatid column, lurker above, and trapper are, however. But I digress...

Some creature uses for mimics are often as things your players expect as traps...just not as mimics. That hideous gargoyle statue, the odd-looking "pull me and you die" wall portion with levers, the suit of armor that happens to look strangely fresh and new, etc. It both throws the players off-guard and adds new challenges for them if they were expecting a gargoyle, trap to disable, golem, etc.

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-09, 12:03 AM
Oh my gosh! That comic (rustyandco) is so cute! It's adorable! I wanna put an intelligent rust monster in my campaign now.

The Demented One
2010-02-09, 12:03 AM
Pants Mimic. That is all.

BRC
2010-02-09, 12:07 AM
A pile of gold coins and weapons randomly placed in a room where a monster had camped.