PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Bonus damage for attacking from a height?

rezplz
2010-02-08, 07:41 PM
So for a minor villain that will be coming up in my D&D group, I was going to decide to have a necropolitan Goliath wielding an adamantium large-sized fullblade, going for a gish-build focused on abjuration and necromancy. One of his main tactics was going to be uttercold fireballs to heal him and his minions and damage the party at the same time. The other, for lolz and badassitude, would be to attack after jumping off of a roof, or after flying up into the air.

So I was wondering, what feats are there that give bonus damage for jumping from a height to attack someone below you? Also, is there a way to ignore falling damage, but not reduce the speed at which you're falling? I think a very well-timed feather fall would work, but that wouldn't give epic craters when he landed.

Also: Other than a high strength and his adamantium sword, is there any spells, feats, or such that give bonuses to breaking through walls? Thinking of a kool-aid man style entrance for him.

Thanks much.

Amphetryon
2010-02-08, 07:44 PM
Headlong Rush. Shock Trooper. Leap Attack. Wheeeeee! :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-02-08, 07:45 PM
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Leap_Attack

this might work.

Ninja'd:smallannoyed:

rezplz
2010-02-08, 07:47 PM
Oh, I know all about leap attack and shock trooper. I'm definitely considering them. I seem to remember some special feat though that gave some extra d6 to damage for falling X amount of feet.

And leap attack requires horizontal distance, which might be harder.

But those WOULD work for getting the massive damage required to bust through walls. Kool-aid man entrance is figured out now.

What does headlong rush do?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Doubles damage on charge, provokes AoO's, looks like.

JaronK
2010-02-08, 07:50 PM
Battle Jump! That's the best for this. Double damage for dropping on people!

JaronK

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-08, 07:51 PM
I seem to remember some special feat though that gave some extra d6 to damage for falling X amount of feet.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127537 describes it.

Amphetryon
2010-02-08, 07:54 PM
Headlong Rush linkage:
scroll down a bit (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a).

Mongoose87
2010-02-08, 07:57 PM
Why is that LA+1?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-08, 07:59 PM
Same reason the Hobgoblin is LA +1.

Crow
2010-02-08, 08:02 PM
Scratch That

rezplz
2010-02-08, 08:04 PM
Well to be fair the powerful build and mountain movements work great for what I'm trying to do with him, and they get very nice stat boosts. I wouldn't want to take the LA if I was a PC, but since its a villain it doesn't really matter.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-08, 08:05 PM
The Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has some neat features for this, as does Cityscape itself. In particular, the Roofwalker and Roof-Jumper feats, plus the Roof-Dweller Barbarian ACF that makes acquiring them much easier, add damage for jumping down from a high place.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-08, 08:24 PM
I have just this to add: 4500lbs of Stupid.

Someone! I am in need of an Assit check! I can't link to thebuild on a Wii! (Oh, the irony)

Irreverent Fool
2010-02-08, 08:33 PM
A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage. A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.

Raptorans can make dive attacks with any piercing weapon (RotW) and when doing so they still do double damage, which means another multiplier for an ubercharger.

obnoxious
sig

Splendor
2010-02-08, 10:49 PM
Table 8-4 DMG Damage from falling objects

Feather Fall spell makes you fall "60' per round... and the subjects take no damage upon landing while the spell is in effect."
Note: It makes YOU take no damage from the fall.
"If the spell is cast upon a falling item... the object does half normal damage based on its weight, with no bonus for the height of the drop."

So a 101lb person would inflicts a extra d6 upon who ever they fell upon and take no damage themselves.