PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Element keywords and elemental damage

AgentPaper
2010-02-08, 07:45 PM
So, there's a lot of powers that work when you use a power with X keyword, like Lightning or Radiant or Necrotic, and generally these attacks deal that type of damage. There are also some ways to change the type of damage that an attack does, for example with a Flaming Weapon, which has an at-will with the Fire keyword.

My question is, though, does a power automatically count as having a keyword of X if it deals X damage? For example, if I took the Storm Sovereign ED, which lets you change all of your damage with attacks into lightning damage, would all of my attacks then have the Lighting keyword for the purposes of feats like Lightning Arc? Or does it just make me deal lightning damage and have no effect on keywords?

Inyssius Tor
2010-02-08, 08:48 PM
My question is, though, does a power automatically count as having a keyword of X if it deals X damage? For example, if I took the Storm Sovereign ED, which lets you change all of your damage with attacks into lightning damage, would all of my attacks then have the Lighting keyword for the purposes of feats like Lightning Arc? Or does it just make me deal lightning damage and have no effect on keywords?

Nope, nope, and yep.

Note that due to the odd power-based way elemental weapons work, those items do work as if they applied their elemental keyword to powers used with them.

Altima
2010-02-08, 10:18 PM
Nope, nope, and yep.

Note that due to the odd power-based way elemental weapons work, those items do work as if they applied their elemental keyword to powers used with them.

Even if said weapon is being used as a focus for said power (Swordsage's sword, Warlock pact blade, Wizard staff, etc).

AgentPaper
2010-02-08, 10:58 PM
Damn, so those weapons are the only way to add elemental keywords to your attacks? Oh well, that's not too bad, though it sucks that there isn't one for thunder damage as well. Making a dual-javelin ranger, (well, tratnyr) and it'd be very awesome just from a fluff standpoint to be able to throw down thunder and lighting. I guess I'll just have to make due with lightning.

Also, when you're using a ranger power like twin strike with a heavy thrown weapon like a tratnyr, do you have to use your DEX for the attacks instead of STR, even though the tratnyr is techincally a melee weapon, even if you're not using it like that at the moment? And if so, then is there an feats or such that would let you do so? I'm guessing not, but I figured I'd check at least.

TheOOB
2010-02-09, 12:08 AM
Also, when you're using a ranger power like twin strike with a heavy thrown weapon like a tratnyr, do you have to use your DEX for the attacks instead of STR, even though the tratnyr is techincally a melee weapon, even if you're not using it like that at the moment? And if so, then is there an feats or such that would let you do so? I'm guessing not, but I figured I'd check at least.

You always use the ability noted in the power, regardless of what kind of weapon you are using. Ergo, if you are using twin strike as a melee attack with two weapons, it's STR, if you use it as a ranged attack, it's DEX. As far as I know weapon properties and current published feats only alter basic attacks.

Kurald Galain
2010-02-09, 04:34 AM
I find it one of the silliest rules ever that a power can do lightning damage without being a lightning power, or vice versa, but yes, that's the way RAW works.