PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (PrC) or (Class) Embracing the Revolving Door (Idea Looking for a Home)

DracoDei
2010-02-08, 10:30 PM
Friend of mine who goes by Scyld Norning had the following idea (which I am not feeling PARTICULARLY inspired on, so I am throwing it out to the playground to see what people might do with it) :
"Afterlife Tourist" Class.
Embraces the "Revolving Door" concept.
One of the things they get at early levels is an ability that allows them to remember experiences they had on the other side once they get back.
They'd also find rez costs to be getting cheaper as they gain levels, possibly until they are essentially free (maybe have a high level ability it grants be one that allows Pheonix-like self-rez).

My ideas:
They can pick their afterlife... although they might get thrown out if caught, it is a great way of crashing Hell without being detected...
At really high levels they might pop off to Celestia (only class that gains "Die at will as a full-round action" as a class ability at higher levels) to see if they can get a passing Solar to answer a few questions...

More specifically, something along the lines of the following: "At 7th level, you gain the ability to die as a full-round, purely mental action. When returned to life after such a death, the costs are an additional 1,000 GP cheaper. This stacks with other class abilities."

Overshee
2010-02-08, 10:42 PM
Friend of mine who goes by Scyld Norning had the following idea (which I am not feeling PARTICULARLY inspired on, so I am throwing it out to the playground to see what people might do with it) :
"Afterlife Tourist" Class.
Embraces the "Revolving Door" concept.
One of the things they get at early levels is an ability that allows them to remember experiences they had on the other side once they get back.
They'd also find rez costs to be getting cheaper as they gain levels, possibly until they are essentially free (maybe have a high level ability it grants be one that allows Pheonix-like self-rez).

My ideas:
They can pick their afterlife... although they might get thrown out if caught, it is a great way of crashing Hell without being detected...
At really high levels they might pop off to Celestia (only class that gains "Die at will as a full-round action" as a class ability at higher levels) to see if they can get a passing Solar to answer a few questions...

More specifically, something along the lines of the following: "At 7th level, you gain the ability to die as a full-round, purely mental action. When returned to life after such a death, the costs are an additional 1,000 GP cheaper. This stacks with other class abilities."

Uhm, so what's the point?

JoshuaZ
2010-02-08, 10:44 PM
Uhm, so what's the point?

Parodying or highlighting the revolving door nature of death in 3.5 D&D?

Might be sort of fun to make. One could do a fairly serious PrC that worked off of this. Presumably it would need as a requirement having died and been brought back to life at least twice.

Edit: There's a minor character in one of Simon Green's books who might have levels in this class. He is necroleptic. He dies without warning but he generally comes around after a few minutes.

DracoDei
2010-02-08, 10:47 PM
Might be sort of fun to make. One could do a fairly serious PrC that worked off of this. Presumably it would need as a requirement having died and been brought back to life at least twice.

Yeah, you could go humor or serious with it (or maybe alternate fluff for each).
I would think that MIGHT be the only requirement. Then again, at least a few token ranks (and maybe much more) in Knowledge(Religion) and Knowledge(The Planes) might not be out of order.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-08, 10:49 PM
I really like it as a character concept, but I think devoting levels to it is going to unnecessarily weaken a character.

Then again, if it's a full-casting class... then why the hell not?

DracoDei
2010-02-08, 10:56 PM
Maybe a choice between full-casting (or maybe ONE missing level), and full BAB?
What would the saves be? Maybe good Will only, since if you get poisoned or fried, that isn't so bad to this philosophy, but Domination into serving your enemies still is something to be strongly avoided.

d4 hitpoints for similar reasons???

This might turn into several parallel prestige classes.

DracoDei
2010-02-08, 11:13 PM
Edit: There's a minor character in one of Simon Green's books who might have levels in this class. He is necroleptic. He dies without warning but he generally comes around after a few minutes.

That wouldn't happen to be "The Kruton Interface" would it? That book had a character whose religion happened to involve a lot of drugs, so the military he was in couldn't disallow him from using every narcotic known to man (some of which were from aliens since this was a Sci-Fi setting)... he had an automatic emergency medical unit built into his clothing or something, but that didn't change the fact that his record of discipline problems included "Clinically Dead on Duty"...

JoshuaZ
2010-02-08, 11:47 PM
That wouldn't happen to be "The Kruton Interface" would it? That book had a character whose religion happened to involve a lot of drugs, so the military he was in couldn't disallow him from using every narcotic known to man (some of which were from aliens since this was a Sci-Fi setting)... he had an automatic emergency medical unit built into his clothing or something, but that didn't change the fact that his record of discipline problems included "Clinically Dead on Duty"...

No, although I forgot about that too. The Kruton Interface. Ah, I haven't read that in many years. That's by John DeChancie. Green's book is one of his Shaman Bond/Eddie Druid books. I think it is in The Spy Who Haunted Me. After a while all the Green books blend together (the basic idea of how his universe functions is pretty cool, but they get pretty repetitive after a few books).

Edit: The Kruton Interface was also noteworthy for having Ensign Sven Svenson Ben Enson. And the navigator who couldn't find her away around the ship. And the Proust Drive that worked off the quantum boredom field. Ah, that brings back memories.